Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 58 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:05 AM   #856
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I would prefer it if she would just cancel the exho. Go straight to Indian Wells, recover there from whatever it is she's suffering from and prepare for the important events that are coming up. Exho's are so meaningless. I'm sure that the money is good, but she doesn't need it.
Normally,Goldenlox would be right that there was little harm in doing the exho but,if Caro feels any lingering ankle pain,then she should DEFINITELY skip it........Another player has already played it safe,so it's not as if there weren't any precedent

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:10 PM   #857
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

This is just a terrible schedule and now she has an awful loss. She's now got a pointless exhibition to play in. Incidentally I've no idea why she lost but it's one of the following:
  1. She's regressed even further.
    - Very worrying.
  2. She was just unable to play well. Perhaps the humidity and heat?
    - Worrying and as per 1 and 3.
  3. She was sick but not bad enough to not play.
    - I've been to KL and the humidity and heat. Ridiculous to add this to her schedule.
  4. She tanked the match.
    - I really hope not. You enter a competition, you play and play to win.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM   #858
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Option 3 leading to Option 2. She lacked energy from the very beginning. She progressively got more energyless as the match progressed.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #859
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I would prefer it if she would just cancel the exho. Go straight to Indian Wells, recover there from whatever it is she's suffering from and prepare for the important events that are coming up. Exho's are so meaningless. I'm sure that the money is good, but she doesn't need it.
I don't think there's much chance she will cancel it and I don't think the reason she won't is the money either. Other than that I agree with you.. This is a ridiculous schedule based around exhos during the season and possibly a totally unnecessary not feeling well or niggling injury or whatever.

She needs to learn that her schedule should be set and based around big tournaments - not go for every exhibition she's asked to play in and base her schedule and what tournaments she can fit in around them.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM   #860
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
This is just a terrible schedule and now she has an awful loss. She's now got a pointless exhibition to play in. Incidentally I've no idea why she lost but it's one of the following:
  1. She's regressed even further.
    - Very worrying.
  2. She was just unable to play well. Perhaps the humidity and heat?
    - Worrying and as per 1 and 3.
  3. She was sick but not bad enough to not play.
    - I've been to KL and the humidity and heat. Ridiculous to add this to her schedule.
  4. She tanked the match.
    - I really hope not. You enter a competition, you play and play to win.
Will agree with your countrymate that it wasa combo of options 2 and 3,with 3 being the more prominent one.You neglected to mention that she was struggling with her ankle as well,limiting her movement to a fair degree.Until we see a consistent pattern--not that we're hoping to--of regular faked or exaggerated injuries(and we needn't name the most infamous fakers/jokes in the WTA),we should give Caro's integrity the benefit of the doubt.The only way that I could see her truly (quasi)tanking a match would be if she were injured and had a compelling reason for NOT defaulting...let's say,the final match of a great player who had announced her retirement.In such a case,she might go through the motions well until the match was over

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM   #861
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I don't think there's much chance she will cancel it and I don't think the reason she won't is the money either. Other than that I agree with you.. This is a ridiculous schedule based around exhos during the season and possibly a totally unnecessary not feeling well or niggling injury or whatever.

She needs to learn that her schedule should be set and based around big tournaments - not go for every exhibition she's asked to play in and base her schedule and what tournaments she can fit in around them.
I don't think she will withdraw from the exhibition either. For one, if she was going to do that you would think she would have left Asia, but she was still in Kuala Lumpur as of today.

Caro's team should take at least some of the blame for her poor scheduling. Her advisors should be advising her against such schedules. Indian Wells and Miami are vitally important for Caro in the context of her season, if she doesn't get good results here her presence at Istanbul at the end of the year will be in big doubt which will be more costly than any appearance fees for exhibitions.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #862
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

This Intl was very soft, and if she lost early in Dubai, it wasnt a bad option to get some wins before IW.
As it turned out, Serena pulled out & Caroline's draw opened up.

Ultimately, she has to focus & compete the whole match, the whole week.
There's not one tournament of the 6 she played this year where I thought she fought the whole week. To me, that was her greatest strength, her ability to compete, even though her game has flaws. Now she doesnt compete well & the flaws in her game are not improving.

Dubai was closest, but the last 2 errors were terrible, almost giving up when the match was still on serve & winnable.

So just because she says she's hungry again doesnt mean she will play like it.
Find out more at IW & Miami
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:41 PM   #863
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Caro's team should take at least some of the blame for her poor scheduling. Her advisors should be advising her against such schedules. Indian Wells and Miami are vitally important for Caro in the context of her season, if she doesn't get good results here her presence at Istanbul at the end of the year will be in big doubt which will be more costly than any appearance fees for exhibitions.
Caro isn't the sort of overpowering player who could win even with horrendous coaching,so Piotr and the others deserve SOME credit,certainly,for helping Caroline get to the top.....but,yeah,lousy scheduling has been an all-too-common trend in her career.Though "lousy scheduling" would be pretty hard to quantify as a statistic,I wonder how many Top 5 or Top 10 players have a history of that(Petra and her team have been VERY guilty of that,at times).

Also,no matter how one feels about the necessity of tinkering with Caro's game,the manner in which changes were implemented last year was atrocious...and such coaching moves are another worthwhile point of comparison,IMO.In sum,Piotr and crew aren't buffoons at all,but I don't think that Caroline has received nearly the quality of coaching or management that many other top players have gotten

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #864
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Caro isn't the sort of overpowering player who could win even with horrendous coaching,so Piotr and the others deserve SOME credit,certainly,for helping Caroline get to the top.....but,yeah,lousy scheduling has been an all-too-common trend in her career.Though "lousy scheduling" would be pretty hard to quantify as a statistic,I wonder how many Top 5 or Top 10 players have a history of that(Petra and her team have been VERY guilty of that,at times).

Also,no matter how one feels about the necessity of tinkering with Caro's game,the manner in which changes were implemented last year was atrocious...and such coaching moves are another worthwhile point of comparison,IMO.In sum,Piotr and crew aren't buffoons at all,but I don't think that Caroline has received nearly the quality of coaching or management that many other top players have gotten
Obviously Piotr deserves some credit for getting her to where she was. But there is no doubt that Caroline has not improved as much as a player as she should have for someone of her age in recent history. Caro hasn't improved technically since probably 2010. That's pretty worrying for a 22 year old, especially when you look at the improvements her peers in her generation were able to make.

The next month is very important in context of Caro's season, after Miami we will probably have a better idea of whether to expect to see her in Istanbul or not. To not make Istanbul this season would be a complete disaster.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM   #865
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The next month is very important in context of Caro's season, after Miami we will probably have a better idea of whether to expect to see her in Istanbul or not. To not make Istanbul this season would be a complete disaster.
I thought the AO was important, because she had 3 terrible majors in a row last year, & next 2 are clay & grass.
IW & Miami are important because she said the motivation is back. But the real test will be after that, clay season & next 2 majors. That's when she really needs full motivation, full effort

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM   #866
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I thought the AO was important, because she had 3 terrible majors in a row last year, & next 2 are clay & grass.
IW & Miami are important because she said the motivation is back. But the real test will be after that, clay season & next 2 majors. That's when she really needs full motivation, full effort
She really needs to let her results do the talking rather than talk itself. Talk is meaningless if you don't then back it up. You don't see if "I have my motivation back" means anything until a few months down the line.

I tend to think if she has a bad Indian Wells and Miami it could be a long clay season for her. She's unlikely to "find form" so to speak on clay. It's looking pretty worrying with regards to the race to Istanbul if you are not in the top 8 after Miami when the entire season so far has been played on your best surface.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM   #867
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
She really needs to let her results do the talking rather than talk itself. Talk is meaningless if you don't then back it up. You don't see if "I have my motivation back" means anything until a few months down the line.

I tend to think if she has a bad Indian Wells and Miami it could be a long clay season for her. She's unlikely to "find form" so to speak on clay. It's looking pretty worrying with regards to the race to Istanbul if you are not in the top 8 after Miami when the entire season so far has been played on your best surface.
I'm glad she talked about motivation, because I was waiting to hear about an injury.
I could not figure out what happened. She fell from the elite group so quickly, and stayed there for now, almost 2 years. She reached the point where her name isnt even mentioned by most of the tennis articles before majors, and she was seeded #1 for 6 straight majors, until FO 2012. Now she's not even considered an outside contender. Not mentioned at all.

So I understand what happened. And I dont think just being hungry is enough. She has to compete the whole match. She had a great chance to be 1 set all with Aga 2 weeks ago. Great chance to be 5-all last week vs Petra. She had a match point & lost this week.

Like you said, she has to do it on court, but I'm glad she talked about her lack of being motivated as her career fell

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM   #868
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I'm glad she talked about motivation, because I was waiting to hear about an injury.
I could not figure out what happened. She fell from the elite group so quickly, and stayed there for now, almost 2 years. She reached the point where her name isnt even mentioned by most of the tennis articles before majors, and she was seeded #1 for 6 straight majors, until FO 2012. Now she's not even considered an outside contender. Not mentioned at all.

So I understand what happened. And I dont think just being hungry is enough. She has to compete the whole match. She had a great chance to be 1 set all with Aga 2 weeks ago. Great chance to be 5-all last week vs Petra. She had a match point & lost this week.

Like you said, she has to do it on court, but I'm glad she talked about her lack of being motivated as her career fell
Yes but at end of last year in Moscow I think she was citing sponsor work and pressures as the reason for decline. She also at some point said she was struggling with niggling injuries throughout last season and just wanted to be healthy this season. So combined with the loss of motivation she now cites who knows what the most prominent factor was.

Falls always tend to be quick, because in a game like tennis you just can't afford to be mentally checking out for a while. If you are not working to your best for whatever the reason you are going to lose ground. Caro's been slumping for over 18 months. That is a long time. Really it's more important for Caro to at least have a sustained stretch of consistency, something she hasn't had for nearly 2 years. She won't become a "contender" again overnight. You only become a contender again by giving people reason to believe you have a chance.

When your confidence is low, stuff happens like what happened in the matches vs Aga and Petra, Caro is desperately short of confidence vs top players atm.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:31 PM   #869
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
When your confidence is low, stuff happens like what happened in the matches vs Aga and Petra, Caro is desperately short of confidence vs top players atm.
I never questioned that Caroline works hard, or that she wants to be successful.
Its hard to focus & focus & focus, especially when you've done it and now have the material rewards.
Thats why what Vika did is very impressive. She had a great year, then came back this year, not only won her 2nd major, she beat Serena after she knew she lost her #1.
If she can keep the mental focus, Vika might be an alltime great. But the hard part is to keep the focus.
The big match in 2007 was Henin-Venus at the USO.
2008 Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina had great years.
2010 the top 3 was Caroline, Vera, Kim.

To stay at the top for years is very hard, and the only players at the top now who were there before 2011 are Serena & Maria. They are 1st ballot Hall of Famers. Vika is closing in on that too.

What happened to Caroline is very common among good players. They cant keep the mental toughness. Even if Caroline is motivated, to actually win these long tough matches is difficult.
Hard mental & physical work

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 02:37 AM   #870
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Do U guy think it possible that Caro can get into the top 5 this year, I hoping she improve on her game, her serve & FH can really improve the most.
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread