Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 45 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #661
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Good draw if she can (and what she really should do) beat Safarova! Don't think Serena will be motivated enough to play here, she'll probably withdraw before her 2nd round match!

Edit:
Forgot about Sveta, 50/50 chance that she will be in Caro's part of the draw as qualifier!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

Last edited by CWTennis : Feb 16th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #662
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBH View Post

This is Caro 2.0. She's trying hard to implement a new style of play and there are small signs that the process is on the right track. But it's going to take a long time to complete the process and she may never get back to achieving what she did before. But I respect her for trying, and if anyone has the discipline and mental strength to successfully overhaul her game it's Caro.
Its been 18 months of this form. I guess we have to accept this is it. The idea that she had to overhaul her old game, instead of slowing improving it, never made sense.
Still doesnt make sense. What is she overhauling? What is improving?
It looked like maybe late last year she was starting to make some deep runs, but most players were tired while Caro took a long break ( didnt win a match for 2 months during the summer)

To me, it looks just like Jankovic. Slamless #1 who cant win matches anymore, unless her early draw is super soft. The comparison is incredible because it happened so quickly & completely to both of them. Caroline only won 5 matches at the last 4 majors! Unbelievable, if you think where she was.
If they are thinking: slowly improve, how many more years until she tries hiring a full time coach, if ever?
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #663
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty tough draw in Dubai...but it's better that way I guess, it will require her to play better to get through.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #664
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its been 18 months of this form. I guess we have to accept this is it. The idea that she had to overhaul her old game, instead of slowing improving it, never made sense.
Still doesnt make sense. What is she overhauling? What is improving?
It looked like maybe late last year she was starting to make some deep runs, but most players were tired while Caro took a long break ( didnt win a match for 2 months during the summer)

To me, it looks just like Jankovic. Slamless #1 who cant win matches anymore, unless her early draw is super soft. The comparison is incredible because it happened so quickly & completely to both of them. Caroline only won 5 matches at the last 4 majors! Unbelievable, if you think where she was.
If they are thinking: slowly improve, how many more years until she tries hiring a full time coach, if ever?
The idea of overhaul of her game came because she's not won a slam and it was presented to them from many sides. So they decided to try that and we all know how it all ended up - things got worse.

I think as far as her results go you are writing her off too quickly.She defeated some tough opponents that people thought were a clear favourite to win (Barthel, Lisicki). That was hardly a soft draw. Her result at AO is a lot better than at last year's W and UO.
She's no 10 in the world and her results reflect that. She's not going to roll over all the competition. The improvements sometimes are reflected on the results after many months, it's not as fast as we'd like to see.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #665
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she is on the right track now. But who is #1 by 3000 points and overhauls their game?
None of this makes any sense, all that matters is that she was in a US Open final at 19, #1 at 20, now at 22 really struggling to get thru any draw.
I dont expect Serena to play after her long week here. So it could be a good draw

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #666
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
That was also a result of them losing earlier then they could meet with her most of the time. I think that at her best Caro can not only get the elite to make mistakes but also take the initiative and hit a winner. She can mix it up and find a good balance.

The problem now is for her to stop making errors herself when it matters most. She is sometimes mirroring the mistakes of her opponents, IMO.
As for the 1st paragraph,I can't deny the POSSIBILITY that Caro could have success against the elite,yet it's harder for us to establish that when she hasn't actually done that with her original style of play.Those two wins over Big Masha were nice,regardless,but I don't think that she was playing at her peak level when Caro faced her and got those 2 victories

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #667
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

It's a really tough call to make with Piotr: On the one hand,a top coach would NEVER consent to such a drastic overhaul to his charge's game,so there are reasonable questions of competence,to some degree.On the other hand,Caro has a warm relationship with her dad,and I'm not sure that she'd be happy without him even if she began finding notable success with another coach

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #668
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
As for the 1st paragraph,I can't deny the POSSIBILITY that Caro could have success against the elite,yet it's harder for us to establish that when she hasn't actually done that with her original style of play.Those two wins over Big Masha were nice,regardless,but I don't think that she was playing at her peak level when Caro faced her and got those 2 victories
Well, this is an argument which can go both ways - when Caro was defeated by Maria after she lost her no.1 ranking she was no longer playing at her best neither.
The fact that the elite wasn't able to make it far enough to challenge her is their negative, not Caro's. She was the most consistent player at the time so they had many opportunities to face her. I think they'd lose against her anyway if they weren't able to beat lower ranked players.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #669
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Well, this is an argument which can go both ways - when Caro was defeated by Maria after she lost her no.1 ranking she was no longer playing at her best neither.
The fact that the elite wasn't able to make it far enough to challenge her is their negative, not Caro's. She was the most consistent player at the time so they had many opportunities to face her. I think they'd lose against her anyway if they weren't able to beat lower ranked players.
It was only Kim and Caro back then. After Serena won Wimbledon in 2010, she had an offcourt injury. Then between Caro & Kim, they won Cincy, Rodgers Cup, New Haven US Open, Tokyo, Beijing, they met in YEC final, 2011 AO, Dubai, IW.
One of them won everything above a Tier 2 for 9 straight months.
But its totally different now. Serena, Vika, Maria win almost everything

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #670
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope she is on the right track now. But who is #1 by 3000 points and overhauls their game?
None of this makes any sense, all that matters is that she was in a US Open final at 19, #1 at 20, now at 22 really struggling to get thru any draw.
I dont expect Serena to play after her long week here. So it could be a good draw
Perhaps someone who's lost belief/confidence in their game and is frustrated by their slams results.

I think Caro may have been looking for some "quick fix" for her game rather than a long term process of trying to improve. Her coaching relationships with Sanchez and Johansson suggest this may be her mindset as there was little improvment over a relative short period of time and then they were gone.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #671
marineblue

Quote:
It was only Kim and Caro back then. After Serena won Wimbledon in 2010, she had an offcourt injury. Then between Caro & Kim, they won Cincy, Rodgers Cup, New Haven US Open, Tokyo, Beijing, they met in YEC final, 2011 AO, Dubai, IW.
Kim & Caro? That's not the point. All the top 10 were doing well but they did not manage to challenge Caro often. As I said, that's not her problem, she could not win those encounters for them so they could face her later on.

It will be interesting to see how things develop this season and who's going to challenge the current top 5.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #672
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think even if Caro found her old level of play that she still wouldn't be quasi-dominating like she did back then. Vika, Aga, and Sharapova are better now and Serena is playing.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #673
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Perhaps someone who's lost belief/confidence in their game and is frustrated by their slams results.

I think Caro may have been looking for some "quick fix" for her game rather than a long term process of trying to improve. Her coaching relationships with Sanchez and Johansson suggest this may be her mindset as there was little improvment over a relative short period of time and then they were gone.
I'm still not sure what she was trying to do. I watch her lose to Mchale back in August 2011, and it didnt look like she was even trying to win. The forehand errors were crazy and at key moments.
The end result is that she might have destroyed her career, which looked very promising less than 2 years ago. Definately did long term damage to her game, and her confidence.
This is a young player and her father, who is not a coach, making decisions to mess with a game that was super successful.

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #674
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

As pr Dubai schedule, all 1R matches will be played Monday. 'Finger crossed' for a stream from Caro's match.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #675
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Here's an interesting stat comparison. The difference between Caro's winners and unforced errors has gotten a lot worse in the last three matches against Aga since Caro beat her in 3 sets at the YEC in 2011. Caro lost the 1st match in three sets having served for the match in the 2nd set (Caro's wrist injury really began to bother her as the 3rd set went on, they were tied at 2-2 3rd set at one point), lost the next match in two having been down 6-4 4-2 at one point, and lost yesterday's in two sets having served for the 2nd set.

Caro's winners and unforced errors against Aga:

2011 YEC: 32 winners and 27 unforced errors / +5 difference
2012 Sydney (sets 1 & 2 combined): 22 winners and 23 unforced errors / -1 difference (I don't have the match total)
2012 Tokyo: 19 winners and 33 unforced errors / -14 difference
2013 Doha: 24 winners and 30 unforced errors / -6 difference

It's pretty impressive that Caro was actually able to post a positive winners to unforced errors difference against Aga and -1 isn't bad at all. Caro needs to find a way to cut her unforced errors down and get her winners to unforced errors difference about even or better again.
Interesting. Well I suppose the positive is that the real dip was 2012 Tokyo and she's on an upwards curve compared to that. It sounds from what I've read in the Live Scoring Thread that she made a ton of those UEs here in Doha at the end of the 2nd set when she allowed Aga to come back and that was the most disappointing part of her last match.

Have you any figures for her earlier matches with Aga when she was just winning tournament after tournament. I think she was already well in decline by 2011 YEC. I bet her UEs in her earlier encounters were way down from all four of the matches you quote.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread