Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 341 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5101
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I really can't wait too find out who they planned to pick to replace her father as her new coach
Are you familiar with the Samuel Beckett theater play En Attendant Godot (Waiting for Godot)? ...

The play is also much like waiting for all Caro's 'positives' over the last 2 years to gel to a better play/form.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5102
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I never took it for granted that she would win a slam even when she was #1. But you seem to think that she's not even trying or working hard. Just look a her body. She's in great shape. You don't get too look like that if you don't put in the work. And if you can root for Penetta and Hantuchova you can also root for Caro because I don't think it's very likely that they will win a slam either. As for her dating Rory, well, she's a young woman and she's in love. Nothing wrong with that. If she was dating Rory Smith instead of Rory McIllroy nobody would have a problem with it.
Yeah, she works hard. No doubt about that. She was trying hard every point when she lost to a Q after being up a set.

Being criticised, having a boyfriend, trying to be more aggressive.. these are all nothings. They are normal for most tennis players.

What changed is mentally, she cant play well match after match, or even during a match her level drops.
Its not a champion's mind. in 2012 she won 6 matches total at the 4 majors. in 2013 she won 7 matches total.
So she just went 2 years averaging a 2nd round or 3 round loss. Thats called being a noncontender.

And especially this major, everything was perfect. Healthy, her best major (she's going for 4 semis in the last 5 US Opens), great draw, there were no excuses, and she lost 8 of the last 11 games to a qualifier.

So its in her head. She's playing like an inconsistent, non champion.
Maybe she cant do it mentally anymore.
I thought if she had any tennis ability left at all, it would show this tournament, and she folded in the early rounds.
Thats just a summary of her whole year.
its what you expect from a rank & file noncontender. Not a champion
Its hard to accept that a player who can win 12 titles in 2 years and be in 4 slam semis in 5 hardcourt majors could fall like this, but we all watched it. It happened
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5103
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never took it for granted that she would win a slam even when she was #1. But you seem to think that she's not even trying or working hard. Just look a her body. She's in great shape. You don't get too look like that if you don't put in the work.
I do not need any encouragement to do that.

Quote:
And if you can root for Penetta and Hantuchova you can also root for Caro because I don't think it's very likely that they will win a slam either. As for her dating Rory, well, she's a young woman and she's in love. Nothing wrong with that. If she was dating Rory Smith instead of Rory McIllroy nobody would have a problem with it.
Mr. McIlroy might have a problem with it.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5104
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5105
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

But Mr. Smith can travel with her and support her in her sport. Allways. That´s the big difference.

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #5106
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Have there Been any recent News on Caro ?

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5107
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you guys think, but I was discussing that with friends yesterday...considering the level of play that the two finalists of NYC showed to be able to produce, I seriously believe that it's gonna be hard for any other player to win AO and USO, unless both Vika and Serena somehow fail; that sadly closes the door to Wozniacki probably in a definitive way, because I can see her getting back on a good level next year and probably improve her forehand if she finally gets a real coach, but I really doubt that she (nor any other WTA player at the moment) can reach the level of the last night's final.

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5108
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

When she's trying her hardest and loses 8 of the last 11 games to a qualifier, winning majors isnt even in the conversation.
She has to improve the level of her tennis to get to big matches. She only played one big match all year. That was with no Vika or Serena and Maria beat her 62 62.
So her level of play this whole year takes her out of realistic discussions of slam contenders

I really thought this draw would give her a chance to get some wins and maybe get her game & confidence back. But it just reinforced that her level now is too low.

These 2 players in the final improved after hiring their current coaches.

If Caro stays the same as now, she doesnt want success badly enough.
She HAS to get a coach. Now she's just throwing her career away

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5109
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
I don't know what you guys think, but I was discussing that with friends yesterday...considering the level of play that the two finalists of NYC showed to be able to produce, I seriously believe that it's gonna be hard for any other player to win AO and USO, unless both Vika and Serena somehow fail; that sadly closes the door to Wozniacki probably in a definitive way, because I can see her getting back on a good level next year and probably improve her forehand if she finally gets a real coach, but I really doubt that she (nor any other WTA player at the moment) can reach the level of the last night's final.
Players like Serena or Vika are of little concern at the moment when it comes to Caroline. First her level needs to go up because she can't even beat lowish ranked players at the moment. As for winning slams, let's just forget about that. It won't happen because she can't even take advantage of a great draw to have a good run, let alone winning the entire thing. And even if Serena and Vika slip up there's a long list of more likely winners headed by the likes of Sharapova (IF she gets healthy again), Li, Radwanska and Sloane.

Caroline could (and probably will) try a new coach, but a coach is not a magician, so I wouldn't expect any miracles from him/her. Fact of the matter is that these top girls have much more pop on their shots. It's like the likes of a Serena, Vika, Li and Sloane play ping pong on a tenniscourt while Caroline is still playing with a wooden racquet. Even Radwanska who's much craftier than Caro can't deal with that power.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5110
country flag goldenlox

Azarenka won Miami in 2009. She beat Sveta, who won the FO a few months later.
Caro could beat Vika in 2010 Tokyo..
So I dont think Caro's level from 2011 IW puts her way behind Vika.
But she doesnt play like 2011 IW or 2010 YEC anymore.
If she can get back to that level, she would be fine going forward.
But her game has deteriorated. Its falls apart. She just beat Stephens, beat Kerber & Bartoli in the spring.
But match after match, her level is too low, or has low periods during a match that get her beat
This last match was very disturbing because she was up a set with so many good possibilities in this draw, and her level went too low to get past a qualifier who lost badly next round

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5111

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Players like Serena or Vika are of little concern at the moment when it comes to Caroline. First her level needs to go up because she can't even beat lowish ranked players at the moment. As for winning slams, let's just forget about that. It won't happen because she can't even take advantage of a great draw to have a good run, let alone winning the entire thing. And even if Serena and Vika slip up there's a long list of more likely winners headed by the likes of Sharapova (IF she gets healthy again), Li, Radwanska and Sloane.

Caroline could (and probably will) try a new coach, but a coach is not a magician, so I wouldn't expect any miracles from him/her. Fact of the matter is that these top girls have much more pop on their shots. It's like the likes of a Serena, Vika, Li and Sloane play ping pong on a tenniscourt while Caroline is still playing with a wooden racquet. Even Radwanska who's much craftier than Caro can't deal with that power.
that's true, but I was speculating for the future with a long term view of 2-4 seasons from now...of course, everything can happen, but my point was that at the moment on HC I don't see Caroline winning a slam, not even if she can improve her FH...last night I could see how Vika was turning defense into offense with DTL FH with power and accuracy, that's a shot that I don't ever see Caroline coming up with, then again you never know, but she seems stuck in a mental confusion and her FH - let's face it- at best will go back to the steady and and non-negative shot is used to be in the past and in this moment you don't win slams just by defending everything and being propositive with your BH.
I really hope she keeps her work going and improves her net game and keeps going there more and more often, that's her only way out against people who hit a lot harder than she does, that's what Vika is also doing with Serena, using the drop-shot and net rush combo...but Caroline seems to luck the rough power to push her opponents far from the baseline, at least9 out of 10 times it's like that and I know many of you disagree on that, but I think that her new and thinner physical shape doesn't help that at all

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5112
country flag goldenlox

When Caro was good she could hit her backhand crosscourt, down the middle and down the line.
It seems the down the line is gone. Her forehand gives up too many errors and short balls.
Her groundstrokes have regressed, and those, along with her stamina and mental toughness, were her strongest parts of her game.

Plus Vika is very mentally tough now. She won 4 slam semis the last 2 years and played well in all 4 finals.
Even when Caro was good, her slam semis werent her best tennis.
The great players can bring their best tennis in big moments, and that mental part has really dropped with Caroline

But in today's tennis, 23 is still very young. I dont see it as a panic situation. Same with Kvitova.
But she has to improve and has to be able to play near her best at majors

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5113
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
that's true, but I was speculating for the future with a long term view of 2-4 seasons from now...of course, everything can happen, but my point was that at the moment on HC I don't see Caroline winning a slam, not even if she can improve her FH...last night I could see how Vika was turning defense into offense with DTL FH with power and accuracy, that's a shot that I don't ever see Caroline coming up with, then again you never know, but she seems stuck in a mental confusion and her FH - let's face it- at best will go back to the steady and and non-negative shot is used to be in the past and in this moment you don't win slams just by defending everything and being propositive with your BH.
I really hope she keeps her work going and improves her net game and keeps going there more and more often, that's her only way out against people who hit a lot harder than she does, that's what Vika is also doing with Serena, using the drop-shot and net rush combo...but Caroline seems to luck the rough power to push her opponents far from the baseline, at least9 out of 10 times it's like that and I know many of you disagree on that, but I think that her new and thinner physical shape doesn't help that at all
Well, one of the best things about Caroline at her best was/is(?) that she was able to bring those big guns down to her level. A bit like Andy Murray if you will. If you would see them play lesser opposition you would never think that Andy could pose a problem to Roger, Rafa or Novak. They nearly always look more impressive than him. But put them on a court with Andy and they, and he, look like different players. And to a lesser degree the same is true for Caro if she's on. But true - in the case of Murray it's just a matter of what he chooses to do. He CAN play offense if he wants it. Caro has no other option than to play defense because if she was a boxer she would be called feather fisted. But if she would at least be able to put away short balls it would already make so much difference imo.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5114

Yes, the Andy-Caro comparison is a good one and probably Caroline should look at him as a path to follow, he's much more of model than any other I can think of.
The problem I saw this year, is that compared to a few years ago she suffers a lot more big hitters. In the sense that two/three seasons ago, she would force you to hit at least 2 accelerations before she would drop the lenght and/or go away from the baseline...now she steps back immediately and the first big shot means a shorter ball. IMO she also looks a little less sprinty, in the sense that she lacks power to sprint. She is still amazing on the run, but if you catch her on the wrong foot her reaction is pretty poor...

Old Sep 9th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5115
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the Andy-Caro comparison I think the only two things Caro lacking is Andy flat serve & Andy can get aggressive when need and put anyway points, I remember this year at IW Lindsay Davenport said that Caroline should look at Andy and try follow his path but Caro need too find an balance of when too be aggressive and when too play defense, I think if her coach can help her with that as well as improving with her net play & serve she can be top 5 again. I guess we have too wait and see who they pick as a coach I know her father said it an person who help players win slams

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread