Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 338 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5056
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Really she needs to win Luxembourg because that will then qualify her for Sofia. I guess there is a chance she asks for a wildcard to Sofia too.
I wouldn't bother with Sofia. It's nothing more than a glorified exho and serves no purpose imo.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5057
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I wouldn't bother with Sofia. It's nothing more than a glorified exho and serves no purpose imo.
I hate Sofia. It's an event so flawed in its inception. "Tournament of Champions" without nearly all of the top qualifiers who are ineligible. 2 wildcards which make it even worse, because it's just a gift of points to 2 players in a closed event which should never be allowed.

Caro isn't in a position to choose though. She needs the points.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5058
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

If Caro beat a qualifier and Vinci, she would playing Pennetta for a SF spot today.
I'm still not sure what to make of her forehand collapse. But if its because Giorgi hits with pace, then Caro has to retool that forehand.
if it was just a bad day, then its a huge choke in the last chance to save her year.

Either way, its not looking good for her going forward
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5059
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hate Sofia. It's an event so flawed in its inception. "Tournament of Champions" without nearly all of the top qualifiers who are ineligible. 2 wildcards which make it even worse, because it's just a gift of points to 2 players in a closed event which should never be allowed.

She won't need them after she's won Tokyo and Beijing.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5060
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
If Caro beat a qualifier and Vinci, she would be playing Pennetta for a SF spot today.
Big S I G H ... If ... and it would have been a USO SF

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5061
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've no interest in Sofia as a tournament. But obviously (like with last year) if Caro were to play there which would probably have tobe a wild card - I'll follow it just for her results.

To be honest - I'm not really bothered about Caro getting ranking points per se.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #5062
country flag njcbe

njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I've no interest in Sofia as a tournament. But obviously (like with last year) if Caro were to play there which would probably have tobe a wild card - I'll follow it just for her results.

To be honest - I'm not really bothered about Caro getting ranking points per se.
Yeah, I didn't even know it existed until Caro qualified for it last year. And I don't really care about ranking points either. It would be a good start for her to just string some results together and maybe just maybe win a tournament. Then she can worry about ranking points. But, with the way she's playing now, she won't have to worry about winning tournaments for a while. Winning matches has to be her primary focus after the Giorgi debacle. Secondly, I think she owes it to herself and her fans that she hire an established coach AND give him/her a chance. She can't afford to waste 2 more years of her career fooling around with her dad.

A thought: What's to stopping her from coming up with an injury, hiring a coach that she'll trust and listen to, and get an extra 2 months to work with him/her? I know that's a bit extreme and that she'd never do that, but is there something in the WTA rules that would prevent her (or any other player for that matter) from doing that? I'm assuming the great Stacey Allaster has a rule for everything.
njcbe is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #5063
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcbe View Post
Yeah, I didn't even know it existed until Caro qualified for it last year. And I don't really care about ranking points either. It would be a good start for her to just string some results together and maybe just maybe win a tournament. Then she can worry about ranking points. But, with the way she's playing now, she won't have to worry about winning tournaments for a while. Winning matches has to be her primary focus after the Giorgi debacle. Secondly, I think she owes it to herself and her fans that she hire an established coach AND give him/her a chance. She can't afford to waste 2 more years of her career fooling around with her dad.

A thought: What's to stopping her from coming up with an injury, hiring a coach that she'll trust and listen to, and get an extra 2 months to work with him/her? I know that's a bit extreme and that she'd never do that, but is there something in the WTA rules that would prevent her (or any other player for that matter) from doing that? I'm assuming the great Stacey Allaster has a rule for everything.
The tour can't force players to play. They can penalise you. If Caroline skipped Tokyo and Beijing I believe she would have two zero pointers stuck on her ranking for a whole year, but if she wanted to stop playing now and focus on fixing her game over the next few months she could easily choose to do so and live with the consequences.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #5064
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Ranking does matter though. The more you fall the harder it becomes, you start relying on luck of the draw at the big events. Take Indian Wells this year, Caro's best tournament of the year, she was always losing that match to Sharapova no matter what round it was. Next year there's a chance that's a possible R4 match if things don't improve.

Yes Caro struggles to take advantage of good draws right now, but it's even worse if she then plays well but still can't get past R4 because she's drawing Serena or whatever.

Staying in the top 16 is big, because if you drop out of that then you are no longer seeded for the majority of tour events, then you are completely at the mercy of the draw.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #5065
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Ranking doesnt matter as much as level of play.
Look at this tournament. pennetta wasnt ranked high. But she drew into the quarter with Caro & errani and she's in the semis.

Caro's problem is that she plays poor tennis. She should NEVER lose the point when her opponent hits a short lob. But it happens over & over.
A bp vs Aga, a chance for a bp vs Sharapova. Key point vs Halep.

A lot of Caro's problems are mental. She was physically trying hard when she lost to a qualifier. But you cant miss so many shots, hit so many short balls.

Maybe its because she's rich and doesnt want to focus. Maybe she's stubborn and doesnt want a coach telling her what to do.

Whatever it is, this year was a total mess. She had a decent year for Cirstea, but a terrible year for a former #1.

And right now, she's playing at a level where she cant get thru qualies. No draw is soft enough when your level of play is crappy

Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #5066
country flag njcbe

njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light njcbe is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ranking does matter though. The more you fall the harder it becomes, you start relying on luck of the draw at the big events. Take Indian Wells this year, Caro's best tournament of the year, she was always losing that match to Sharapova no matter what round it was. Next year there's a chance that's a possible R4 match if things don't improve.

Yes Caro struggles to take advantage of good draws right now, but it's even worse if she then plays well but still can't get past R4 because she's drawing Serena or whatever.

Staying in the top 16 is big, because if you drop out of that then you are no longer seeded for the majority of tour events, then you are completely at the mercy of the draw.
I understand that, but if she gets her game right, won't it be worth it in the long run? I mean, if she consistently gets to where she's supposed to at #16 or 17 in the world, that's marked improvement from this year. She couldn't even get to the fourth round this year at most tournaments. So, I think her playing Serena or Vika in the fourth round consistently would be a good problem to have. Also, if that time off improves her game, but lowers her ranking, isn't it worth it? The saying goes that if you play well, your ranking will follow suit eventually. I think it would be better to be #20 in the world and play like #8 or better than be #8 and play like #20 or lower like Caro is now. Wouldn't you?

Also, if she improves her game over that time, maybe she doesn't lose to Sharapova next time with her improvements and Shaza's struggles. I mean, you never know if a player is playing well. Just look at Radwanska. She virtually came out of nowhere with her level of play. She was top 15, sure, but nowhere close to top 5 level. She got her game together and look where she is now when the game is arguably at its toughest in the past few years.

Last edited by njcbe : Sep 5th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #5067
country flag njcbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
The tour can't force players to play. They can penalise you. If Caroline skipped Tokyo and Beijing I believe she would have two zero pointers stuck on her ranking for a whole year, but if she wanted to stop playing now and focus on fixing her game over the next few months she could easily choose to do so and live with the consequences.
That's interesting, thanks. I know Serena barely plays after the US Open, so I didn't know if she were penalized in any way. Btw, while on the subject, is there any news anywhere on the coaching front? I heard a few people mention something about it a couple days ago, but nothing ever came out of it I guess.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #5068
country flag goldenlox

Its more than just adding a coach. She's become a very mentally weak player.
Started the year up a set to Pervak and lost. Just up a set here & lost to a q.
Up a break in the 3rd to Voegele, match points vs Safarova, Paszek.
Her game isnt improving. her forehand was never worse.
But mentally, a player who was holding 9 titles is now one of the mentally weakest on tour.

There is so much going wrong now. More than I thought.
Even though I knew she was losing 1st round over & over. I thought the perfect draw on hardcourt could straighten things out.
But it didnt. just more weak play, AND mentally soft. Lose no matter what.
She has real problems, and maybe unsolvable.

Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #5069
country flag njcbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its more than just adding a coach. She's become a very mentally weak player.
Started the year up a set to Pervak and lost. Just up a set here & lost to a q.
Up a break in the 3rd to Voegele, match points vs Safarova, Paszek.
Her game isnt improving. her forehand was never worse.
But mentally, a player who was holding 9 titles is now one of the mentally weakest on tour.

There is so much going wrong now. More than I thought.
Even though I knew she was losing 1st round over & over. I thought the perfect draw on hardcourt could straighten things out.
But it didnt. just more weak play, AND mentally soft. Lose no matter what.
She has real problems, and maybe unsolvable.
You may be right. I'm just saying that a new coach can't hurt. Maybe the new coach will make some improvements to her game which will make her win which will make her more confident which will make her mentally tougher and be able to close matches out. That's a lot of ifs though. At this point in her career, what does she have to lose? She's played it safe for the last 2 years and look how that's served her. She probably can't play much worse than against Giorgi, so why not kick the tires on a new and proven coach? She says her main goal is to win majors; she's certainly not winning any majors with the way she's playing now, so she has absolutely nothing to lose. That's the only thing she's missing, so why not go all out in her quest for it?
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5070
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcbe View Post
You may be right. I'm just saying that a new coach can't hurt. Maybe the new coach will make some improvements to her game which will make her win which will make her more confident which will make her mentally tougher and be able to close matches out. That's a lot of ifs though. At this point in her career, what does she have to lose? She's played it safe for the last 2 years and look how that's served her. She probably can't play much worse than against Giorgi, so why not kick the tires on a new and proven coach? She says her main goal is to win majors; she's certainly not winning any majors with the way she's playing now, so she has absolutely nothing to lose. That's the only thing she's missing, so why not go all out in her quest for it?
Even though Caroline's career is in turmoil, I have no doubt she's working hard. Just watching that match she lost to the qualifier, she was running after every ball she could, and she looks fitter than ever,
But whatever she used to do to be #1 and a slam contender, either she cant do it anymore, or it doesnt work anymore.
And when she tries to be more aggressive, like with her forehand, she makes too many unforced errors. When she comes to net, she gives away too many points.

I agree that she should try a full time coach, because staying like this, each year she seems to get worse and worse.
I thought she was awful in 2012 because I was comparing it to when she was #1.
But 2012 was much better than this year. She left Miami 2012 with a win over Serena & 4-6 in the 3rd loss to Sharapova.
Her best 2013 event she lost 2-6, 2-6 to Sharapova.

So I'm in favor of trying a coach, but I'm sure she works hard now, even though her career is falling apart, and maybe already finished as a serious contender at big events

Closed Thread