Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 309 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4621
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its 2 different problems. Her effort level/motivation isnt good enough most weeks. She's been losing to total noncontenders most tournaments.
This thing on the motivation front. If that's a problem - I think it would be a good thing if Piotr and her team were not to ever say anything about winning a slam or being up at the top again without being really downbeat and negative. They could just positively talk up the overall standard on the tour. That realistically Caro is not going to win a slam or get back to the level she once was at. There are too many players on the tour now who are too good.

If those around her were to lose faith in her to reach the very top and/or win a slam (or at least convince Caro that they had lost faith to reach that pinnacle) - how would Caro take that. Remember when she was young she was told she was not good enough to play tennis with the rest of the family and she worked and proved them all wrong and ended up beating them all. That might be a good test of her motivation.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4622
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
To give an example in the match...

I don't think she could play error free tennis now even if she played totally passive and never tried to do anything.
I agree with the above post. There is no magical formula for cutting out these unforced errors. If we could point to one thing (on-court) that brought her down from number one, it's her making more errors on routine rally shots. It's as simple as that, but there's no quick fix to this.

If she could try to force the play more often like she's been trying lately, then she could be in more control of the matches and opponents can't "raise their games" against Caro, like someone mentioned. What that really means is that they are in control of the rallies and it's mostly decided on their winner or error.

It's what dozens of commentators have said for years now: that Caro doesn't control her fate in these matches, and it's mostly up to the opponent. But before, it was only against top players, because most on the tour weren't consistent enough to outhit or outlast Caro, but now that her consistency has dropped, she's been struggling against more players on tour in the last two or so years. But if she tries to force the play like she's been trying recently (not just hitting more winners), she is more in control of her own destiny.

Last edited by RU90 : Aug 17th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
RU90 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4623
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of this is very similar to Jankovic. She's also trying to be more aggressive and makes too many unforced errors.
Also, both of them seem to go through the motions, losing to players they should be strong favorites against.
At Wimbledon Jelena lost to Dolonc in round 2 and she lost to Flipkens. Jankovic was in that goofy bottom half and did nothing

The first thing both Caro and Jelena have to do is force themselves to try hard. For Caro that started this week, and she needs to keep the effort level high next week, where she can win her first title of the year
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4624
country flag poulao

poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of

IMO Caroline has all the reason in the world to be motivated, after the matches against Petra and Vika. What I mean by it is, that she IMO, is doing some right things on court these days. The match against Vika, could easily have gone her way, IMO of course. She is just not good at playing offense, yet. I just hope she keeps up the good work, and gradually gets better at it. In the past, she has always had a tendency to retreat, when pushed by somone like Petra or Vika. She has been talking about the 'first on the ball' stuff for years, but just never done it. I know, that it's easier said than done, which is exactly My point.
poulao is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4625
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There was one other very interesting comment that the commentators made about Caro. That her opponents nearly always play well against her. That's something I've noticed. More times than not - they play much better than they usually do game against other opponents.
Because, unfortunately, Caro seldom put much pressure on her opponents, so they have all the time in the world to get in position and prepare for the shot? ...

As opposed to Vika, who tries to take the ball early and half volley and take time away from the opponent. Caro looked well stressed at times.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #4626
country flag poulao

poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Because, unfortunately, Caro seldom put much pressure on her opponents, so they have all the time in the world to get in position and prepare for the shot? ...

As opposed to Vika, who tries to take the ball early and half volley and take time away from the opponent. Caro looked well stressed at times.
Yes, but you have to agree, with at least some of us, that she at least tried, and seemed to enjoy it.
poulao is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4627
country flag Double A

Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of
Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I got one main thing from that match against Vika. She needs to learn how to take stuff out of the air and be comfortable with it. She could've ended many of those rallies if she was comfortable at it like Vika is. Instead, she resorts to letting it drop and then the rally is basically back to the beginning.
That, or learn how to be more comfortable at the net. She had Vika at the end of the rope for some rallies, but didn't go up to the net and finish it off.
Double A is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #4628
country flag James_Hingis

James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light

As what I've said to my other Post, indeed we see some shed of light in terms of Wozniacki's game. She seemed to have a little more of Power in both Forehand and Backhand. HOWEVER, it is not enough weapon to overcome Vika or Serena’s game. She needs a little more variety – like dropshots, slices, and funny it may sound she can utilize moonballs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarredreamer View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I got one main thing from that match against Vika. She needs to learn how to take stuff out of the air and be comfortable with it. She could've ended many of those rallies if she was comfortable at it like Vika is. Instead, she resorts to letting it drop and then the rally is basically back to the beginning.
That, or learn how to be more comfortable at the net. She had Vika at the end of the rope for some rallies, but didn't go up to the net and finish it off.
James_Hingis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #4629
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hingis View Post
As what I've said to my other Post, indeed we see some shed of light in terms of Wozniacki's game. She seemed to have a little more of Power in both Forehand and Backhand. HOWEVER, it is not enough weapon to overcome Vika or Serena’s game. She needs a little more variety – like dropshots, slices, and funny it may sound she can utilize moonballs too.
Not against Serena, Azarenka or Sharapova she can't.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4630
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

No a Moonball won't work But I do agree with the dropshot Judging by the match & from the the tweet from the Monica & Petra Match Caro seem too be improving at the net & volley which is great, but there other area in her game she can improve on as well I still say she should work on trying get her BH back, while improving her FH & maybe add something in her game like an Drop SHot but all that might not happen till an coach step in which I hoping will happen next year. But let see how she does in New Haven first

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #4631
country flag James_Hingis

James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light

I am pleased to see how many people recognized the way Caro played in Cincy against Vika (see her Facebook Fanpage). I hope she will maintain this kind of momentum and no additional distraction please (sorry Rory, but give her some space please).
James_Hingis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4632
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarredreamer View Post
Thats what they should have been working on. The easy stuff. putting away sitters at the net, and short overheads.
Instead they blew up her game and she wins nothing now.
But the overall quality of the field is very low now. Probably no better than 2010 USO, 2011 AO.
So Caro is very capable of making a big run in NY, if she doesnt choke. The choking is a given now. Whether its match points against Cirstea, serving for the match against Hampton, or leading a tiebreak against Vika.
She never wins titles and chokes a lot, gets very sloppy on big points, or doesnt try at all. Thats the last 2 years in summary of a player who was #1 by 3000 points and holding 9 titles exactly 2 years ago.

But its something she can improve on. The last 2 years will be looked at as a disaster, no matter what she does going forward. Cant be worse than her last 5 months

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4633
country flag goldenlox

When Caroline was winning titles, mostly summer of 2010-spring of 2011, she had a couple of bad losses. Obviously Li with match point, Kim in 2010 YEC final. Petkovic in Miami 2011.
But whats happened is unbelievable. So many close matches lost, close sets that she loses, to all levels of opponent, from Wang to Azarenka.
She has to close better. Her team around her has to be better

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4634
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To give an example in the match - the very last point of the match. She'd pulled back 2 of the three MPs. The last MP - Caro saw an opening and went for a BDTL which was only just out. IMO it was the absolutely right shot selection to make and if it had been in would have won her the point and brought the scores level (no way Vika would have got to it). I don't have a problem with that error. She saw an opening and she must go for that.

It's the other sort of error I cannot understand. Why on earth when she's not trying to do anything in particular - anything more than she was doing thousands of times before in her heyday - why do those errors creep in. And you can see that she herself is disgusted at herself for making some of those errors. She's just not consistent enough like she used to be and she could have won the match or taken it to a third set just cutting out those errors but still having any errors like the last point of the match when she's trying to make something happen.

I don't think she could play error free tennis now even if she played totally passive and never tried to do anything.
I think it's a few things leading to a lot more unforced errors on routine shots. Caro isn't as confident as she used which can affect shot production. She's probably not as focused as she once was so she could be having little lapses of concentration on the court. I also think there may be some lingering confusion about what the game plan should be, how aggressive or defensive she should be, which results in indecisiviness.

It could also be matter of what's focused on during training. Perhaps there's a focus on improving Caro's aspects of aggressive game to the neglect of working on rallies and consistency.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4635
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
Last night when Caro started to play better, Aza had no answer to that, it didn't last long, but the games in the middle of the set showed a good Vika and a great Caro...it's really a shame she couldn't win the set, because she would have deserved it...I won't be too optimist because now she has to substain this level for many weeks and improve it in big matches to say something like she's back or similar...but she's on the right track, the new racket is giving her more confidence and those matches should too...I don't get why everyone is so negative about this loss, playing like she did last night she would have defeated anyone but top3 + top Li Na in the current form of the others people are also negative about her serve stats, but Aza is the best returner of the tour, Masha finds it hard to hold and even Serena...you can't expect Caro to hold with ease like with Peng
You really think Caro was consistent enough to beat Aga or Errani?

Sharapova let alone Serena isn't facing a break point or in a 0-30 hole in the majority of those service games though.

Here's a list of how often Caro faced a break point or was down 0-30 on her serve in her matches in Cincy:

vs Azarenka: 64% (7/11)
vs Kvitova: 54% (7/13)
vs Niculescu: 70% (7/10)
vs Peng: 29% (2/7)
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Aug 18th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread