Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 264 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:04 AM   #3946
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
At least on the commentary here in nearly 100% of Caro's matches it is brought up how she hasn't won a grand slam yet. A lot of the time it's mentioned how defensive players don't win grand slams, they can't cope with the big hitters at the top of the game. If Aga wins Wimbledon, all of a sudden that rather simple argument which is put forward by a lot of the media instantly falls apart, and more questions will be asked why Caro can't win a grand slam.
"Why can't you win a slam" is an irrelevant question for someone who's often struggling to win matches anywhere.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:10 AM   #3947
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
"Why can't you win a slam" is an irrelevant question for someone who's often struggling to win matches anywhere.
Yeah, to me, 2013 is much worse than even last year for Caro.
that she could start by being up a set to Pervak and lose, then say she needs matches. There's a major in a week!
So she loses to Pervak & Sveta twice, there goes the 1st hardcourt major.
Now Caro has 5 wins TOTAL at the last 5 majors. 5 wins used to be 1 major for Caro
She has one more major this year and if she is still going out early, I dont see reason for optimism about winning a major. The fields are getting deeper as young players like Stephens, Keys and Puig and the rest, mature. The big 3 will still be around, plus Stosur, Li, Aga, Lisicki and the rest
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #3948
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caro and Vika used to be friends up til around when Vika won a slam, now they aren't really. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, perhaps it's not.
Maybe it's just a result of Vika's life being busier now that she's an elite player.I don't sense any hostility from Caro's camp or the other

P.S.: Look at the B.S. double talk after Aga--supposedly 'far,far away',a HUGE longshot--miraculously managed to beat a player whom she's beaten on 4 previous occasions.A word to the wise: oddsmakers,'punters'-- or whatever stupid,dorky-ass name you give them--are about as reliable as cheerleaders if you're looking for intelligent insight on specific matches.They are VERY good numbers crunchers and tendency watchers so, if you follow a betting service with a proven track record, you can make yourself some decent supplemental income. However, if you're looking for subtle insight on a sport, someone who has the wisdom to notice important intangible elements, oddsmakers are usually as worthless as teats on a bull. A lot of shrewd NFL insiders picked the Ravens as a darkhorse to win the SB, and pretty much ZERO Vegas oddsmakers did.....Perfect case in point

Aga still has a big roadblock in her path in Lisicki, but you can't discount factors like mental toughness......or a lack thereof, as in Kvitova's case

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 05:44 AM   #3949
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least on the commentary here in nearly 100% of Caro's matches it is brought up how she hasn't won a grand slam yet. A lot of the time it's mentioned how defensive players don't win grand slams, they can't cope with the big hitters at the top of the game. If Aga wins Wimbledon, all of a sudden that rather simple argument which is put forward by a lot of the media instantly falls apart, and more questions will be asked why Caro can't win a grand slam.
It's virtually impossible to quantifiably measure this, but I've heard it argued that there's less pressure on a player like Stosur than there is on Caro in a Slam final, supposedly because gals like Sam aren't upper elite players and, therefore, don't get mentioned nearly as much for being slamless(we're going back to Stosur's slamless days, for the sake of argument).

I don't think that it's so cut and dried; I recall Sam's RG final vs. Fran in 2010.The 2 players were roughly equivalent as older players--Fran MORE so--with scarce slam success.....And Fran played loose yet determined while Sam looked quite tight to me(especially against someone whom she had completely dominated in the H2H).If there's any reliable formula there, then why did Fran respond well to the pressure and Sam poorly??

To ME, it's encouraging that Fran had had an abysmal oh-fer in Finals for many years, then somehow learned to be tougher, mentally.In Caroline's case, the problem is a bit more narrowly confined to slams, as opposed to ANY big match(acknowledging that Caro hasn't advanced to that many big showdowns in the last 2 years compared to what she previously had done).Regardless, if Fran can go from being Finals Choker to RG champ, then I don't see anything that would prohibit Caroline from learning how to close out slam matches if and when she puts herself in position to start winning them again

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3950
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Aga won, plays Sabine, Petra still there. I think this generation is going to win over 10 majors.
Right now Vika has 2 and Petra one. Pretty good chance the 4th is this Saturday.
I dont know if Caro will ever get back in the mix. I hope they work smart. She has a lot to overcome now, and they have to be smarter about everything. Racket, strings, style of play, practice sessions, everything has to be done right. And make sure Caroline is ready for the hardcourt majors
Quote:
It is realistic that by Saturday night, Aga, Vika and Petra all have majors.
Thats life. When Caro is struggling, I hope that motivates her.
I expect this group to win many more majors. When Serena is another 2 or 3 years older, I expect a lot of slams to be very winnable.
Whether Caro is in that group contending at majors is up to her. You have to fight for it. Aga & Sabine fought thru very tough matches, and now play each other.
You have to fight every round, from the 1st point on.
10 or so slams seems plausible for this 1988-1991 generation. Perhaps the biggest determing factor will be how healthy Serena is and how high a level she can still maintain.

It'll be interesting to see how many players from that group end up winning slams.

# of slams won so far by these birth years:

1976-1979: 9
1980-1983: 42
1980-1983 (without Serena): 26
1984-1987: 8
1988-1991: 3

# of slam winners so far by these birth years:

1976-1979: 4
1980-1983: 8
1984-1987: 4
1988-1991: 2

# of slam winners during a 4 year period:

1997-2000: 9
1998-2001: 9
1999-2002: 7
2000-2003: 6
2001-2004: 7
2002-2005: 8
2003-2006: 8
2004-2007: 8
2005-2008: 7
2006-2009: 8
2007-2010: 8
2008-2011: 9
2009-2012: 9

# of 1st time slam winners during a 4 year period:

1997-2000: 6
1998-2001: 5
1999-2002: 3
2000-2003: 3
2001-2004: 5
2002-2005: 5
2003-2006: 6
2004-2007: 5
2005-2008: 3
2006-2009: 2
2007-2010: 2
2008-2011: 5
2009-2012: 5
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jul 4th, 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: corrected "ending" to "end"
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3951
country flag Protoss

Quote:
It doesnt matter if 'its a good thing' or not. The top players from the generation thats about 23yrs old should be winning majors the next 5-8 years.
This should be their time. That Caro stopped winning matches is something we've all guessed at.
Rory, change of style, change of technique, burned out..
Whatever it was, it cant be worse than Lisicki being off the tour with an injury.
If Caro cant overcome whatever stopped her success, then it wasnt meant to be.
She's not overplaying, because she doesnt win many matches. Rory's been around for 2 years. She has to be able to play with a boyfriend.
If they did some changes that set her back, they have to look at old tapes and get back to what she did well.
But if she cant do it, it happens. There were other young stars who faded out early. You need the mental toughness to fight thru any adversity
8 years seems a bit high. Players winning slams in their 30s isn't common (they tend to be all time greats) and I don't see that changing much.

To a certain extent I think Caro had too much success too early. If Caro's success had been limited somewhat, then she would have had to keep developing her game. She also wouldn't have all the money and fame which came with success that I think take away some of her hunger.

Once upon a time Caro was regarded as one of the mentally toughest players on tour (although I think they overstated it some).

Last edited by Protoss : Jul 3rd, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3952
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
8 years seems a bit high. Players winning slams in their 30s isn't common (they tend to be all time greats) and I don't see that changing much.

To a certain extent I think Caro had too much success too early. If Caro's success had been limited somewhat, then she would have had to keep developing her game. She also wouldn't have all the money and fame which came with success that I think take away some of her hunger.

Once upon a time Caro was regarded as one of the mentally toughest players on tour (although I think they overstated it some).
Her mental toughness wasnt good at majors. Could have closed against Li Na, and played Vera in a US Open SF. So Caro had 3 very real chances to be in slam finals and only won against Wickmayer, that wasnt even on the big court, because of rain, Kim was beating Serena at the same time.
So I dont think she showed mental toughness at slams the way she has has in winning 20 nonslams.
But now, she rarely wins matches, so she has different problems to overcome
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM   #3953
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are still trying to get some attention out of the same old BS basically.
I don't think that Caro has much attention these days though. In the press she's hardly ever mentioned as she loses early quite often these days. A bit similar to Kvitova who also disappeared from the media's radar even though she was sooo hyped up. I think that if Aga wins Wimbledon the media won't change the storyline though. They will just say that she won because she's turned her game around and became more aggressive.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3954
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree. No-one is asking Malta, why they cannot win the WC in football. It is an irrelevant question.

Caro hasn't made it to the 2nd week in a slam since USO 2011. That's 2 years ago and 7 slams ago.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3955
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Caro hasn't made it to the 2nd week in a slam since USO 2011. That's 2 years ago and 7 slams ago.
Technically, she has made one (fourth round of this year's Australian Open), but yes, your point remains.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Caro responds during the U.S. summer hard-court season. If she can't get it together by then, she is in big trouble.
RU90 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3956
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
Technically, she has made one (fourth round of this year's Australian Open), but yes, your point remains.
Didn't she reach the QF at 2012 as well? I assume that was during the 2nd week

One Slam to go this year, the good news is that she is defending zero at NY.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3957
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

At the rate for U.S. Open I be just happy by her making the 4th round consider how her form is, just getting injured, & we don't know how bad that draw gonna look. If she make the QF that be even better but a 4th won't be bad in my book how thing going so far but I hoping for a QF. I think her last too Slams has been Awful mostly RG, Wimby I understand she got Injured but that draw was too easy too be mess up like that. Aussie open I wasn't mad about that lost to Sveta due too the fact Sveta kinda like Vee she Dangerous to whoever she plays

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3958
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Maybe it's just a result of Vika's life being busier now that she's an elite player.I don't sense any hostility from Caro's camp or the other

P.S.: Look at the B.S. double talk after Aga--supposedly 'far,far away',a HUGE longshot--miraculously managed to beat a player whom she's beaten on 4 previous occasions.A word to the wise: oddsmakers,'punters'-- or whatever stupid,dorky-ass name you give them--are about as reliable as cheerleaders if you're looking for intelligent insight on specific matches.They are VERY good numbers crunchers and tendency watchers so, if you follow a betting service with a proven track record, you can make yourself some decent supplemental income. However, if you're looking for subtle insight on a sport, someone who has the wisdom to notice important intangible elements, oddsmakers are usually as worthless as teats on a bull. A lot of shrewd NFL insiders picked the Ravens as a darkhorse to win the SB, and pretty much ZERO Vegas oddsmakers did.....Perfect case in point

Aga still has a big roadblock in her path in Lisicki, but you can't discount factors like mental toughness......or a lack thereof, as in Kvitova's case
I think that Lisicki is the favorite now, but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope that Aga will prove me wrong and take the title.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3959
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Didn't she reach the QF at 2012 as well? I assume that was during the 2nd week
Yup
Quote:
One Slam to go this year, the good news is that she is defending zero at NY.
Actually, she's defending a measly 10 points.
RU90 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM   #3960
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

^ 5 points.

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread