Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 221 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 10:33 PM   #3301
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverforget View Post
"But even saying her dad & team hurt her career, that was 2 years ago, and after Dubai SF & IW Final, there's no logical explanation for a slump of this magnitude"

Cuumulative effect. He has destroyed her career, and she let him.
Changing her game to try to 'win a major' hurt her. But its not as bad as Sharapova having surgery on her serving shoulder.
Whatever happened, Caro is healthy and just had good results heading into Miami.
Yes, her dad & others around her set her back, but its enough time passed that Caro has to start hgaving decent results again. Should be ready to continue IW form as soon as she's back on hardcourt.
If she's never top 3 again, its partially Caro. You have to overcome tough times to be great
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3302
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Changing her game to try to 'win a major' hurt her. But its not as bad as Sharapova having surgery on her serving shoulder.
Whatever happened, Caro is healthy and just had good results heading into Miami.
Yes, her dad & others around her set her back, but its enough time passed that Caro has to start hgaving decent results again. Should be ready to continue IW form as soon as she's back on hardcourt.
If she's never top 3 again, its partially Caro. You have to overcome tough times to be great
It is kinda laughable when you look at it by numbers. Since "changing her game to try to win a major", she has 1 grand slam QF, of which I'd argue she hadn't really full transitioned away from her current game at that point. 1 Tier I final, and 2 Tier I semi-finals (one of which was benefited from a very weak draw by Tier I standards because it was the week after the Olympics on a different continent).

Over the same time period before that she had 3 grand slam semi-finals, 1 grand slam quarter final. 5 Tier I victories, 2 Tier I finals and 1 Tier I semi-final.

Now of course changes need time, but you've already had 2 years of her career going backwards, tennis players don't have that long a career. You have to wonder what do her team see? When do they expect her results to pick up? I mean Caro isn't even on an upwards trend right now, her career graph is still going downwards. You can talk about how great she looks in practice, but it's a results business, if it's not showing on the court it doesn't mean anything. She is in danger of falling out of the top 10 altogether this year (she's likely to be around #14 effectively in the race after RG).
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #3303
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what her dad was thinking. She wasnt JUST #1, she was #1 by 3000 points. Getting deep into almost every draw. Winning half the tournaments she played, 9 of 19.
That they thought they should blow that up to make her more aggressive.. It still sounds crazy to me. They must be lunatics.

But enough time has passed. Caroline said she's motivated again. So something else is wrong, and it keeps her results in the sewer
She just played 7 tournaments since IW and won 3 matches. Crazy for a player who was winning 25 of 27 matches a couple years ago

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 01:25 AM   #3304
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont know what her dad was thinking. She wasnt JUST #1, she was #1 by 3000 points. Getting deep into almost every draw. Winning half the tournaments she played, 9 of 19.
That they thought they should blow that up to make her more aggressive.. It still sounds crazy to me. They must be lunatics.
I think it was more pressure than anything. We have to remember all the criticism Caro and her dad got back then. Press and so called experts kept saying that he didn't know about tennis that he was a former football player and that Caro needed to be agressive or she would never win a Slam. After a while, I guess it took a toll and they thought that maybe that was true. I think they tried to do too many things and ended up doing nothing good. However, that's the past, now is time to fix the wrongs. She needs to find some coaching stability, some fresh air and regain her confidence in her game. It will be difficult but she's capable if she really wants it, she's comeback after tough losses and her mentality was a big key in her success.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 02:08 AM   #3305
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
The race is going to look really bad for Caroline after Roland Garros.

As things currently stand it looks like this :-

7 Kerber 2062 (R4 vs Kuznetsova)
8 Kvitova 2011 (R3 vs Hampton)
9 Stephens 1777 (R3 vs Erakovic)
10 Wozniacki 1775
11 Vinci 1752 (R4 vs Williams)
12 Jankovic 1726 (R3 vs Stosur)
13 Kirilenko 1706 (R3 vs Voegele)
14 Ivanovic 1567 (R4 vs Radwanska)
15 Suarez Navarro 1501 (R4 vs Errani)
16 Kuznetsova 1437 (R4 vs Kerber)

When you take away the events players are just never going to count at the end of the year Caro is 13th and probably will be 14th because I suspect one of those below her will win their next match. She needs at least 300 points from the grass season or she is toast imo. Really she needs at least a R4 at Wimbledon, she can't really afford another bad mandatory event on her record.
What are the events that aren't gonna count?
It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5. (Jeffrey Sinclair: Babylon 5: Season 1: Signs and Portents)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 04:17 AM   #3306
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the rest of you, but it's harder for me to enjoy these 2-week events when my fave Caroline keeps getting dismissed in the 1st week

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Allaster wins Machorra of the Year award from the Dames In Keen Enterprise league
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:26 AM   #3307
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Don't know about the rest of you, but it's harder for me to enjoy these 2-week events when my fave Caroline keeps getting dismissed in the 1st week
Yah, tennis has been a lot less enjoyable in general with Caro making so many early exits.
It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5. (Jeffrey Sinclair: Babylon 5: Season 1: Signs and Portents)
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3308
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"But even saying her dad & team hurt her career, that was 2 years ago, and after Dubai SF & IW Final, there's no logical explanation for a slump of this magnitude"

Cuumulative effect. He has destroyed her career, and she let him.
Will the Piotr bashing and hating never end?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3309
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Her Yonex racket has been discussed endlessly since even before she started using it. We can't possibly know whether a change will be good or bad. But if Caro believes a change to another racket will be good, then it most likely will give her one percent extra - even it has exactly same specs as her present racket (Placebo effect!).

But the racket is probably the least of her problems at the moment. The racket is the tennis player's tool, and I'm not saying it's a negligible problem. I'm just saying it's probably a very small part of much more complicated issues.

EDIT: Thanks for your interesting input, Mitten Kitten. I had actually never noticed that particular discussion before.
I know that at the moment there are bigger and more important issues with her, but just as like as she changed coach (or she's changing), maybe changing the racket too can help her breaking with her recent past. Stupid may it sound, often it's in the smallest details that one can find the key for turnarounds

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM   #3310
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
I think it was more pressure than anything. We have to remember all the criticism Caro and her dad got back then. Press and so called experts kept saying that he didn't know about tennis that he was a former football player and that Caro needed to be agressive or she would never win a Slam. After a while, I guess it took a toll and they thought that maybe that was true. I think they tried to do too many things and ended up doing nothing good. However, that's the past, now is time to fix the wrongs. She needs to find some coaching stability, some fresh air and regain her confidence in her game. It will be difficult but she's capable if she really wants it, she's comeback after tough losses and her mentality was a big key in her success.
I agree with you. Her dad made a lot of mistakes based on media criticism.
But now they have to look at it in reality. Probably finished as a #1 or slam contender. At least for a few years.
Now they have to stop the bleeding and solidify her game before she falls out of the top 20.

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3311
country flag Protoss

So when is Caro supposed to start working with the new coach?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3312
country flag neverforget
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Will the Piotr bashing and hating never end?
You can call it bashing all you want, I will stick with my observations. Hating? That's your word, not mine.

I agree with the person who said it is no fun to watch tournaments when she is out so early. I have gone from going to bed early or never sleeping in order to get up at 0200 or so here to see her play. Not in a long time. I may watch if Djokovic is in the finals.
neverforget is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3313
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
You can call it bashing all you want, I will stick with my observations. Hating? That's your word, not mine.

I agree with the person who said it is no fun to watch tournaments when she is out so early. I have gone from going to bed early or never sleeping in order to get up at 0200 or so here to see her play. Not in a long time. I may watch if Djokovic is in the finals.
I dont see it as bashing either. The dropoff is severe, maybe career-destroying. Both Caro & Piotr deserve credit for her rise to #1, but this kind of fall, they both are involved also.

I wonder if they stay with being aggressive. Maybe they think it will work out eventually.
Or maybe she tried to be her old self and cant do it anymore.
Who knows? More questions than answers right now. Statistics are clear: Caroline lost 8 of her last 11 matches. Only won 4 matches at the last 4 majors

Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3314
country flag neverforget
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all

She rose to #1 because of some good and frequent play and only one injury I remember, but also because S. Williams and Sharapova (even though she played hurt) were out of the game, Kim Clijsters limited her play to fewer and fewer tournaments, and Azarenka's game hadn't come together yet and she had too many injuries. Once she was well, she led the way in how to destroy Caroline's game, Caroline's "coach" had no answers, and the floodgates opened with many lower ranked players whacking the ball by her every time she hit a ball short, which was often. They destroyed her "wall" she foolishly claimed to have. Then S. Williams and Sharapova became healthy, and her career is now done unless she gets a very good, tough coach. I don't understand what you all her saying about her attempt to become aggressive hurt her. I've never seen her be aggressive. Maybe for a few minutes, but that is it. I have watched almost all of her matches since I "discovered" her I can't even remember when now. I think it was shortly before she played that match in a high wind and her hair was blowing all over her face.
neverforget is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 09:48 PM   #3315
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I'm surprised that she's as high as tenth at this point actually. I suppose she's really 14th now since Jankovic and Kirilenko won their matches. Looks pretty hopeless to me when it comes to getting a ticket for the YEC unless she does something big, which seems unlikely considering the state that her game is in.
She isn't after todays results. She is down to 12th now, and Ivanovic (and Vinci) will overtake her if they win, so she'll probably be 13th after the French Open.

I do think if she can't log a 4th round at Wimbledon (she really cannot afford another bad mandatory) then she's going to leave herself with way too much work. Her problem isn't just going to be the number of points she's behind, it's the number of players as well. Most those players also have the advantage that if they are in YEC contention they can start playing the weak internationals after USO. Caroline has to play premiers. Stanford already has Sharapova, Radwanska and Stosur. Carlsbad already has Azarenka and Radwanska. New Haven already has Errani, Kvitova and Kerber. Those are Caroline's options at "easy fields" and as you can see they aren't going to be that easy. Caroline is going to have her work cut out just to stay in the top 10.

Then you are looking at qualifying for Sofia, which I know isn't all that popular around here, but she only has one shot at qualifying for that now and that would be to win Luxembourg (we have no idea how strong a field that will have yet).
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread