Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 220 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:56 PM   #3286
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
I do think so. Not all the problems lie there, but I also believe that switching back to Babolat would do her only well, but I don't want to tell all my reasons again or else I'd sound like a broken record
Go ahead and be a broken record.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3287
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Go ahead and be a broken record.
do I really have to type again about all the mental processes that come together with a little change in the basic tools of your sport? really, I think everyone got bored of my ideas already

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3288
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
do I really have to type again about all the mental processes that come together with a little change in the basic tools of your sport? really, I think everyone got bored of my ideas already
You could cut and paste or quote your previous post.

Anyways, where is Caro currently? Is she still in Paris?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : May 31st, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3289
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Will not need to re-iterate this much,if at all,but many of you are discussing training and practice strategies under the presumption that Caroline is motivated and willing to listen to instruction--and that is NOT a strongly founded premise, at present.Though I relish any thoughts of Caroline's improvement(and her sincere happiness), I don't see much evidence of intense drive or teachability.According to recent translations from Danish that were provided here, Caroline has grown weary of listening to her dad--WHOM SHE LOVES DEARLY--so what can we realistically expect from a stranger whom she barely knows...especially when we consider the brevity of Caroline's patience with Sanchez in 2012??

I'm not sure who'd be the most qualified but,at this point,it's almost paramount that Caro works with someone she knows and trusts.......OR a coach whose credibility is beyond dispute--someone she'd trust based on his/her professional competence

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3290
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Will not need to re-iterate this much,if at all,but many of you are discussing training and practice strategies under the presumption that Caroline is motivated and willing to listen to instruction--and that is NOT a strongly founded premise, at present.Though I relish any thoughts of Caroline's improvement(and her sincere happiness), I don't see much evidence of intense drive or teachability...
I agree. I think its mental. Probably the result of changing her game 'to win a major', instead of just building on a foundation that got her to #1.
Now she doesnt seem motivated or driven to do what she can to win matches.

I dont know if a new coach will help. She has to want it badly. We're not seeing that
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3291
country flag adamserenavenus

adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold adamserenavenus is a splendid one to behold

Is Caroline's next tournament Eastbourne.
adamserenavenus is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3292
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3293
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
There is a general trend of mixed messages coming out of the camp though, so it's hard to know. Caro herself said she was in Charleston because it was nearby to The Masters where she was going to be next week. Charleston is kind of an oddball event, I mean it's in a terrible place in the calendar and leads to nothing, and unfortunately for the rest of the field Serena now tends to play it. Brussels I always thought was likely to be a waste of time, I mean things were unlikely to get dramatically better in a week, she stood to gain nothing from Brussels unless she won the title. On top of that it rained most of the week, so I doubt Caro got that much practice in either.

There is a key difference between practicing during an event and practicing away from events though. You are not really going to be working on much of anything during an event, it's more of a case of ticking over. Away from the court you can put in dedicated time to actually work on areas of your game for hours on end.

Piotr is probably right when he says it isn't possible to take 3 months off mid-season. I know people here like to say oh she can skip the grass season, but realistically due to outside factors (sponsors), that probably isn't really an option, unless she's willing to make a massive sacrifice (it would probably involve leaving Adidas etc.). One point that should be made to this though is Caro like everybody else had 2 months off in the off-season, this isn't a problem that has just started in 2013, they should have been doing this work in the off-season last year. I wonder looking back if the end of last season somehow gave her a false pretence that she was back when really she was still a long way away.

I know you say it wouldn't affect Caro's ranking much, on the face of it it's true. I mean Caro would still have 1292 points playing a "top 3 schedule" this year as opposed to the 1675 she has actually accrued (though this is slightly misleading because as said before she can only count 16 tournaments and won't be counting a lot of these points anyway). But there are other factors, firstly Caro said one of her main goals this year is to win a title. If she just played the events those players play, her chances of winning a title this year would be next to none. Secondly, Caro will have been well subsidised to play some of these extra events, especially Kuala Lumpur, Charleston and Brussels, I imagine she received a fair sum to play these events. This is probably nice when you are use to receiving big money just to play events. Thirdly, Caro has also always given a vibe of she likes to play lots of matches, maybe she prefers matches to practice weeks etc. (even if this isn't necessarily beneficial for her game right now).

To put one slant on your final question. The top players are able to get away scheduling like that, they will go deep nearly every event they play, it barely impacts their ranking at all. The others tend to have to play to keep their ranking up, which in turn equals a lot of money to them from sponsors. Azarenka use to play a boatload of events, but now doesn't because she doesn't need to. Her playing a lot of events would probably hinder her ultimate goal of winning grand slams. Most players can't afford to prioritise like that.
Thanks. I mostly end up defending Caro's camp whenever there are discussions about their career choices but there's no way I could have done a better job than you just did. That was a well-thought-out and well-reasoned answer, so I'm not going to nitpick although I still question Caro's schedule.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3294
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
You could cut and paste or quote your previous post.

Anyways, where is Caro currently? Is she still in Paris?
here you get the whole convo

Quote:
I still see a close relation between her drop in the consistency and the change of racket
Quote:
Well then sort it out. She's had the racket over 2 years, any problems should have been sorted out a long time ago. She is either happy with the racket or she isn't, the fact she keeps changing tensions would suggest she isn't, but then do something about it. You either demand a racket to suit your needs, or you buy out of your contract. You don't go on accepting mediocrity because of it.

I personally think this goes deeper than the racket though.
Quote:
I am not a tennis player, but I am a skier and I saw on my sking what it meant to go for a brand which didn't suit my style...I've spent a whole year struggling to do anything I used to do with my older brand, but usually you don't put the blame on the skis, either to yourself or your flaws or whatever...questioning your skis is like questioning your feet...I've dropped around 500 places in the world ranking...the year after I switched to another brand and reached my career highest ranking 300 places ahead of my former best ranking.
I think something like that can be happening here
Quote:
of course not, but this tool -IMO- exploits her flaws and exposes them more. If you can't generate much pace because of your technique I wouldn't play with a racket that gives you less extra power it's just dumb
Quote:
The difference is I guess you aren't a multi-millionaire (you can correct me if I'm wrong ) with effectively infinite resources at your disposal. If Caro is serious about maximising her tennis career, then she makes sure she has the best equipment for her. Not go on using some sub-standard equipment just because it brings in some extra money. She must have some hold over Yonex to get them to create a racket to what she wants, if they are unable/unwilling you seek other options.
Quote:
you ain't wrong, unluckily I don't own that much money, but I know what's a sponsorship and I had some of the best equipments under my feet, they just weren't fit for my style and well, then you start to doubt your skills and so on.
I don't know, I just think that often the solution is easier than what people might think and usually coaches and players too try to look for deeper reasons before blaming their equipments, because when you start to doubt them, you don't trust em hence you can't play up to your potential

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3295
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Her Yonex racket has been discussed endlessly since even before she started using it. We can't possibly know whether a change will be good or bad. But if Caro believes a change to another racket will be good, then it most likely will give her one percent extra - even it has exactly same specs as her present racket (Placebo effect!).

But the racket is probably the least of her problems at the moment. The racket is the tennis player's tool, and I'm not saying it's a negligible problem. I'm just saying it's probably a very small part of much more complicated issues.

EDIT: Thanks for your interesting input, Mitten Kitten. I had actually never noticed that particular discussion before.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3296
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

To go from IW final to 8 losses in 11 matches is almost unfathomable.
She used to be so consistent. That mental edge she had is gone.

I will always blame the people around Caro for telling a player #1 by 3000 points and holding 9 titles that she has to make big changes in her game 'to win a major'
A major is just another tournament. Sometimes they're tough, sometimes a draw falls apart. You keep getting to semis, like Caro was doing in hardcourt majors, and good things will happen.

But even saying her dad & team hurt her career, that was 2 years ago, and after Dubai SF & IW Final, there's no logical explanation for a slump of this magnitude
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3297
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Thanks. I mostly end up defending Caro's camp whenever there are discussions about their career choices but there's no way I could have done a better job than you just did. That was a well-thought-out and well-reasoned answer, so I'm not going to nitpick although I still question Caro's schedule.
Her scheduling is really an endless debate. I always thought Caro was making a mistake when she use to play Canada-Cincinnati-New Haven going into her best chance of winning a grand slam, for me by 2010 she should have knocked New Haven on the head. It is one of those things you will never know, she was famously very flat in that 2010 USO semi-final.

Caro on the face of it has never scheduled to out and out peak at grand slams. Now her camp are saying a grand slam is the only target, but she still seemingly isn't scheduling with the best chance of being in the best condition at them.

It's all debatable, because what are truly her goals at any given time in the season. In her heart of hearts she must know her chances of winning the French Open were pretty much zero, so why not play Brussels, it's a good chance of logging a premier title. The same can be said with regards to Eastbourne and Wimbledon (but Eastbourne is a much tougher field than Brussels). I saw an interview with Caroline in Brussels where she said she wants to win grand slams, but she also wants to win any title. The problem is those could be two conflicting interests.

Caro's summer schedule will be interesting. Right now she's only down to play Toronto and Cincinnati, Caro has never played such a thin schedule. I personally don't think she will keep to that schedule, but if she does it for the first time might show a "it's all about the grand slams" mentality. Whether that is the right mentality right now is another debate altogether.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3298
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Her scheduling is really an endless debate. I always thought Caro was making a mistake when she use to play Canada-Cincinnati-New Haven going into her best chance of winning a grand slam, for me by 2010 she should have knocked New Haven on the head. It is one of those things you will never know, she was famously very flat in that 2010 USO semi-final.

Caro on the face of it has never scheduled to out and out peak at grand slams. Now her camp are saying a grand slam is the only target, but she still seemingly isn't scheduling with the best chance of being in the best condition at them.

It's all debatable, because what are truly her goals at any given time in the season. In her heart of hearts she must know her chances of winning the French Open were pretty much zero, so why not play Brussels, it's a good chance of logging a premier title. The same can be said with regards to Eastbourne and Wimbledon (but Eastbourne is a much tougher field than Brussels). I saw an interview with Caroline in Brussels where she said she wants to win grand slams, but she also wants to win any title. The problem is those could be two conflicting interests.

Caro's summer schedule will be interesting. Right now she's only down to play Toronto and Cincinnati, Caro has never played such a thin schedule. I personally don't think she will keep to that schedule, but if she does it for the first time might show a "it's all about the grand slams" mentality. Whether that is the right mentality right now is another debate altogether.
Focusing on the slams when you can barely win a match anywhere makes no sense to me.

Caro needs to gain confidence and get back into good form before even thinking about focusing on the slams.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3299
country flag ozza

The race is going to look really bad for Caroline after Roland Garros.

As things currently stand it looks like this :-

7 Kerber 2062 (R4 vs Kuznetsova)
8 Kvitova 2011 (R3 vs Hampton)
9 Stephens 1777 (R3 vs Erakovic)
10 Wozniacki 1775
11 Vinci 1752 (R4 vs Williams)
12 Jankovic 1726 (R3 vs Stosur)
13 Kirilenko 1706 (R3 vs Voegele)
14 Ivanovic 1567 (R4 vs Radwanska)
15 Suarez Navarro 1501 (R4 vs Errani)
16 Kuznetsova 1437 (R4 vs Kerber)

When you take away the events players are just never going to count at the end of the year Caro is 13th and probably will be 14th because I suspect one of those below her will win their next match. She needs at least 300 points from the grass season or she is toast imo. Really she needs at least a R4 at Wimbledon, she can't really afford another bad mandatory event on her record.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3300
country flag neverforget

neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all

"But even saying her dad & team hurt her career, that was 2 years ago, and after Dubai SF & IW Final, there's no logical explanation for a slump of this magnitude"

Cuumulative effect. He has destroyed her career, and she let him.
neverforget is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread