Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 22 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #316
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its a good topic, because she went from winning 9 of 19 tournaments to no wins in over a year.
But she is still young, July 1990. Stephens is considered an up and coming young player, she is less than 3 years younger. March 1993. Robson is 3 & 1/2 years younger. January 1994.
So Caroline still has 10 good years left. Now she has a lot less pressure and expectations.
She can change that if she gets to Vika and then beats her. Get the expectation level a lot higher very quickly
I don't think that was a sustainable rate of winning tournaments.

I think Caro's potential slam winning window is a lot shorter than that. I see it ending after 2016 or 2017. Given her style of play and heavy number of matches played, I think it's highly unlikely that she'd win a slam after that if she hadn't won already.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 16th, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: left out the word "or"
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #317
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the drop in Caro's game was due to any pressure of being #1 without a slam either. I do think Caro and Piotr just lost direction what to do. They sure were sending out contradictory and confusing signals what exactly they were doing after IW in 2011. And one of my biggest gripes in 2012 was how it was all supposed to be about focussing for the slams. And poor perfomances at the regular tournaments were dismissed as "Don't worry. This is not the priority - it's the slams we are preparing for". I think they took their eye off the ball as to some worrying things that were happening - poor performances at regular tournaments, the increase in UEs....

The increase in UEs was too easily dismissed as teething problems when going for her shots more. But I think UEs crept into her whole game and many of them weren't because she was going for her shots at all. Just bread and butter errors where she simply broke down before her opponent and she hardly ever used to do that, She was just leaking too many and it looks to me as if not enough attention was given to that and they were dismised as "Don't worry - it's the price for trying to be more aggressive". The trouble is - when they go up - there was no advantage she had in any area of her game against other players in a whole host of her matches.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #318
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucolo View Post
yeah, weak performance vs Lisicki. Weak serve. Caroline has to improve vs Vekic
Why would you copy some random message from a GM thread and post your reply here?

@ Bruce ... I actually agree with you (who decided the game style change).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #319
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I don't think that the drop in Caro's game was due to any pressure of being #1 without a slam either. I do think Caro and Piotr just lost direction what to do. They sure were sending out contradictory and confusing signals what exactly they were doing after IW in 2011. And one of my biggest gripes in 2012 was how it was all supposed to be about focussing for the slams. And poor perfomances at the regular tournaments were dismissed as "Don't worry. This is not the priority - it's the slams we are preparing for". I think they took their eye off the ball as to some worrying things that were happening - poor performances at regular tournaments, the increase in UEs....

The increase in UEs was too easily dismissed as teething problems when going for her shots more. But I think UEs crept into her whole game and many of them weren't because she was going for her shots at all. Just bread and butter errors where she simply broke down before her opponent and she hardly ever used to do that, She was just leaking too many and it looks to me as if not enough attention was given to that and they were dismised as "Don't worry - it's the price for trying to be more aggressive". The trouble is - when they go up - there was no advantage she had in any area of her game against other players in a whole host of her matches.
The key part is that she was heading into the summer hardcourt season and the year before she won Rogers Cup, New Haven, Tokyo, Beijing, and YEC final.
Why they would make a change right before this time of year makes no sense.
So I also agree that her game was starting to unravel mentally.
Which is why she needed a coach to figure out what was happening and slow the drop off.

None of it made sense. How do you lose in 2 sets to both Vinci & Mchale at hardcourt premiers when you & Kim dominated less than 1 year earlier.

It was a mess from many angles.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #320
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
@ Bruce ... I actually agree with you (who decided the game style change).
Well,my technical knowledge of the sport is inferior to that of many posters here,but I can still make logical deductions in some areas once in a while.

In the end,I suppose that it'll be largely irrelevant as to WHY Caroline changed if she can't find her way back to no worse than YEC contender

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #321
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I agree that Piotr and Caro are not silly to worry about what journalists have to say. I think that when they decided to try something new in 2012 they did consider some of the ideas that were repeatedly mentioned by the likes of Hingis, Navra etc. It's not a sign of weakness when you consider an opinion of someone who excelled in your field,IMO. However, as those experts were always biased against Caro's game and did not give much effort to even analyse her defensive style it was obvious that their ideas probably wouldn't work.
I think that over this season they'll need to work out what is a right balance bwt defense and offense which can help her win. Right now it's more about her heart and fighting spirit. She does not outplay her opponents but 'outwills' them. But that won't work all the time.
You state things very well in seeing that Caro and team would appear hardheaded to not even listen to what legends had to say.....and yet some of those legends haven't done any detailed analysis of Caro's situation;they simply spout off at the mouth sometimes just to let others hear their voices.Maybe some of them miss the sport so much that they feel the urge to shout a bit just to remain relevant.

In Petra's case,Navrat has stated an unequivocal interest in taking part in her career,yet I doubt that most of the famous talking heads have Caro's welfare in mind when they criticize her game

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #322
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I don't think that was a sustainable rate of winning tournaments.

I think Caro's potential slam winning window is a lot shorter than that. I see it ending after 2016 or 2017. Given her style of play and heavy number of matches played, I think it's highly unlikely that she'd win a slam after that if she hadn't won already.
I think her slam windows depends on getting back to where she was. That level could get thru draws because she fought for it every round. If she can get that back, I dont see another Serena among the teens, everyone else seems beatable. At the US Open, the level of play was only slightly better than Petrova or Bartoli. Maria struggled with both then tired after leading Vika

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #323
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Next match will be tough against Tsurenko. The girl is powerful and she's surely full of confidence after such a nice run. However, it's certainly winnable so lets go Caro
Achernar is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #324
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well,my technical knowledge of the sport is inferior to that of many posters here,but I can still make logical deductions in some areas once in a while.

In the end,I suppose that it'll be largely irrelevant as to WHY Caroline changed if she can't find her way back to no worse than YEC contender
But making logical deductions are not as satisfying as blaming it on Cronin and those ¤&%"!"##&#" .. so, I shall revert to squarely laying the blame for the 'experiment' on Cronin

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : Jan 17th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #325
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't wake up in time to see Caro play against the teen. How was she?

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #326
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Some Tsurenkoa stats from her last match

Ws/UEs: 17/42
Aces/DFs: 0/6
Fastest serve: 164 kmh

Doesn't seem too scary.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #327
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

I think what makes Tsurenko dangerous is that she's riding on a wave of confidence right now. She's had a great AO series so far and played more matches than Caro. On the other hand she has never played Caro (correct me if I'm wrong) and is not highly ranked neither. Caro's definitely the favourite but it's WTA so...
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #328

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I think what makes Tsurenko dangerous is that she's riding on a wave of confidence right now. She's had a great AO series so far and played more matches than Caro. On the other hand she has never played Caro (correct me if I'm wrong) and is not highly ranked neither. Caro's definitely the favourite but it's WTA so...
She may also be a bit tired from her many matches. This will be her 6th AO match and before that she played 6 matches in Brisbane (4-2).
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #329
country flag goldenlox

Its still depends on Caro. If she can get the mental toughness back, she will be hard to beat.
Even last year you saw that in Miami. 64 in the 3rd vs Sharapova or Caro would have made that final.
But she needs to hold serve. That hurt her bad vs Maria, down 2 breaks in all 3 sets.
It hurt her in the final vs Nadia.
Same here. Focus, compete, and serve well, play well, every service game

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #330

As you can tell from Friday's schedule, there isn't room on the three major courts for all 16 singles matches, some of them (4) are relegated to outer courts. It makes me wonder where Caro will be playing Saturday? In the first two rounds she was guaranteed a spot on a major court because of her relatively high ranking coupled with interesting opponents: Lisicki was considered the toughest of the non-seeds and Vekic is a star of tomorrow. But from a spectator point of view, Tsurenko isn't a very interesting opponent.

So, what matches are probably guarenteed a center spot?
Azarenka - Hampton, because Vika is the defending champion and the top seed
Serena - Morita, because she's Serena
Robson - Stephens, an interesting teen clash and Robson is the closest thing to an Aussie woman left
Krumm - Jovanovski, because Kimiko is a sensation
Kuznetsova - Navarro, because Sveta is a double GS winner and comeback players are always popular
Federer - Tomic, because you know why!
Murray - Berankis, because Murray won the Olympics and USO
Del Potro - Chardy, because Del Potro is a former GS winner
Tsonga - Kavcic, because Tsonga is a popular player and a strong outsider
Simon - Monfils, because Monfils is this year's comeback man and a very entertaining player

These 10 matches are guaranteed a center spot in my opinion, as well as any doubles matches involving Aussies.
The remaining matches are: Cilic - Seppi, Gasquet - Dodig, Raonic - Kohlschreiber, Kirilenko - Wickmayer, Vinci - Vesnina and Wozniacki - Tsurenko. If Saturday is similar to Friday, four of these six matches will be on outer courts. Is Caro's match more interesting than four of these other matches from a spectator/organizer point of view?