Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 219 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #3271
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

This would be a good time to work on her game. Its not possible to have worse results than this. She's playing nonseeds every tournament and has 1 win in months, and that player was injured & had to pull out of doubles with Raymond, which breaks a long streak Lisa had for consecutive majors
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 04:36 AM   #3272
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes even excellent, well-coached teams will see a dropoff in performance when a valuable assistant coach leaves.Even though many of us, myself included, have disagreed with Piotr, he has been such a big part of Caroline's planning for such a long while so it's not a given that Caro will seamlessly make decisions in his more-pronounced absence. The horrible implementation of aggression that we saw at the start of last year may have been the first stages of Caroline's stepping out on her own. If so, the results weren't promising

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3273
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
She only has herself to blame!
While I think that Kuala Lumpur was a poor choice for a 1st half international, Caro probably wasn't interested in playing Birmingham at that point in time.

I think the Wta scheduling rules are too inflexible. A slumping top 10 player from the previous year or out due to injury/illness should have the freedom to play down on the international level to try to find their form and pick up some wins.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:58 AM   #3274
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really think of it at the time but given that Robson is kind of a poor woman's Kvitova, I guess it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise that Caro beat her. Caro had a fairly routine win over Kvitova on clay in 2009 another in 2010.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3275
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably said this before, but I see no signs that adding tournaments to her schedule (KL, Charleston, and Brussels) has helped her in any way. She'd better take some tournaments off, that seems to have worked wonders over the years for Serena, Maria, Vika, Kim and others (often their cancellations were neccessary because of injuries, I know, but not always).

I'm contradicting myself though (wouldn't be the first time), because I recently said that Caro and her team were probably better at planning her future than I am. So I'll rest the case.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3276
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
What about someone with good technical skills? I think Caro's technique is the area that needs the biggest improvement
Mats Wilander seems to agree in an excellent article posted yesterday. I'm quoting a brief passage of the lengthy article:

Quote:
Wilander remembers an episode in 1987 when his fitness trainer gave him this rant:
- Listen, Mats: You never misses a backhand or a forhand, your first service percentage is high. You've got it all. But you must become a bit stronger, then your forehand and backhand will be two percent faster, and you will be two percent faster, and your serve will also be 2 kmh faster. When you add it all up, you'll be five percent better.

- It's the same with Caroline. She probably needs to become a bit stronger and have more force (power) in all areas. Not just in the forehand everyone likes to talk about. She can't just hit harder, it's not as simple as that. She needs to here, here, and here, and for that, you'll need a technical coach.
I guess the meaning of the sentence "She needs to here, here, and here" is that she need to adjust or improve several things (Mats possibly pointing while explaining)? Interesting article, btw, also about how Andy Murray suddenly won the Olymics and US Open with the help of Lendl without changing much, but making small adjustments. It's too long for me to do a proper translation at the moment but you can google translate it if you want.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3277
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its not like 2 years ago where they wanted to change things to 'take the next step' and win a major.
That was stupid, and they have to do differently now. They have to get Caroline's level of play UP, which means consistent with depth, attack with the backhand. Dont give up errors and short balls on either side

Old May 31st, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3278
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I've probably said this before, but I see no signs that adding tournaments to her schedule (KL, Charleston, and Brussels) has helped her in any way. She'd better take some tournaments off, that seems to have worked wonders over the years for Serena, Maria, Vika, Kim and others (often their cancellations were neccessary because of injuries, I know, but not always).

I'm contradicting myself though (wouldn't be the first time), because I recently said that Caro and her team were probably better at planning her future than I am. So I'll rest the case.
Some of these aren't really planned though are they. Charleston and Brussels were basically turn up last minute jobs where the events were desperate for top 10 players. It's not like Caro is lacking matches, so just ploughing through event after event isn't necessarily going to be the answer.

One of Caro's biggest weaknesses in her prime was scheduling badly around her best chance to win a grand slam (USO). Now it doesn't really matter because she's not going to physically tire herself out playing her current large number of events. I mean she's played 14 events this year, but only 31 matches. Sharapova has played 8 events, but 36 matches (and counting).

Imo Caroline should just say after Wimbledon I am going to take a month training block, and then try to come into the US Open series ready to compete. It's probably going to be her last chance to save the season, so all her teams focus should go into maximising it.

Caro doesn't have many wildcards left anyway, I think she can only take 1 more all year.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM   #3279
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Its not like 2 years ago where they wanted to change things to 'take the next step' and win a major.
Indeed and agree. Which shows the oddity media is.

2 years ago, media was on Caro's back non-stop for having not won a slam. Yet, she was almost there.

Now, they are all supportive about what she has to do, to win a slam..

Yet she is nowhere near. Her 'next step' is not winning a slam anymore. Her 'next step' is trying to reach just a QF in a slam ... something she hasn't achieved since ... AO 2012. 5 slams ago. Soon to be 6.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3280
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

To add to my previous post. Here is the matches played by the top 10 of the year with tournaments played in brackets.

Errani 46+ (13+Fed Cup)
Williams 40+ (8+Fed Cup)
Kvitova 39+ (13+Fed Cup)
Radwanska 39+ (10+Fed Cup)
Sharapova 36+ (8)
Kerber 34+ (11+Fed Cup)
Wozniacki 31 (14)
Li 29 (8)
Stosur 27+ (11+Fed Cup)
Azarenka 26+ (7)

So despite having played the most tournaments this year, you can see really Caro hasn't actually played that many matches.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3281
country flag Adrian1092

Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of Adrian1092 has much to be proud of

I definitely think a racquet change would do Caro some good. The Yonex stick she is using at the moment (although most likely with different specifications to the one's sold on the market) is not very powerful. For Caro to improve her forehand, maybe a lighter racquet that would let her wrap around the ball more might be better? Babolat Aero like before? Hope she sorts things out.
Andrea Petkovic Mona Barthel

"A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire".
Adrian1092 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3282
country flag angliru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
To add to my previous post. Here is the matches played by the top 10 of the year with tournaments played in brackets.

Errani 46+ (13+Fed Cup)
Williams 40+ (8+Fed Cup)
Kvitova 39+ (13+Fed Cup)
Radwanska 39+ (10+Fed Cup)
Sharapova 36+ (8)
Kerber 34+ (11+Fed Cup)
Wozniacki 31 (14)
Li 29 (8)
Stosur 27+ (11+Fed Cup)
Azarenka 26+ (7)

So despite having played the most tournaments this year, you can see really Caro hasn't actually played that many matches.
I don't disagree, but it's not just a matter of matches, is it? Piotr said in a recent interview, that the best thing for Caro to do would be to take three months off and practice. But "that would never be possible for a top 10 player because of WTA player commitments".

It's therefore strange to see Caro having last-minute additions to her schedule whenever she loses early. That's why I mentioned Charleston and Brussels. She could use those extra weeks for practice.

Now, Caro would obviously point out to us that she's still able to practice during a tournament week while getting some real match practice as well. True, but with every tournament comes an extra day of travel in each end of the tournament - plus press conferences during the week, player party, sponsor commitments and so on. It's not the same as a regular practice week.

And it's interesting to hear Piotr complaining that 3 months off is not possible, while Caro has piled up a massive 14 tournaments, when she could get away with just 7 (Vika) or 8 (Serena and Maria).

Caro's season wouldn't have been much worse in turns of race points if she had played just AO, mandatories and P5's (AO, Doha, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome). It's easy to say in hindsight but this is one area that reains untested during Caro's entire career: How about playing less? Maybe it works wonders?
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3283
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I don't disagree, but it's not just a matter of matches, is it? Piotr said in a recent interview, that the best thing for Caro to do would be to take three months off and practice. But "that would never be possible for a top 10 player because of WTA player commitments".

It's therefore strange to see Caro having last-minute additions to her schedule whenever she loses early. That's why I mentioned Charleston and Brussels. She could use those extra weeks for practice.

Now, Caro would obviously point out to us that she's still able to practice during a tournament week while getting some real match practice as well. True, but with every tournament comes an extra day of travel in each end of the tournament - plus press conferences during the week, player party, sponsor commitments and so on. It's not the same as a regular practice week.

And it's interesting to hear Piotr complaining that 3 months off is not possible, while Caro has piled up a massive 14 tournaments, when she could get away with just 7 (Vika) or 8 (Serena and Maria).

Caro's season wouldn't have been much worse in turns of race points if she had played just AO, mandatories and P5's (AO, Doha, IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome). It's easy to say in hindsight but this is one area that reains untested during Caro's entire career: How about playing less? Maybe it works wonders?
There is a general trend of mixed messages coming out of the camp though, so it's hard to know. Caro herself said she was in Charleston because it was nearby to The Masters where she was going to be next week. Charleston is kind of an oddball event, I mean it's in a terrible place in the calendar and leads to nothing, and unfortunately for the rest of the field Serena now tends to play it. Brussels I always thought was likely to be a waste of time, I mean things were unlikely to get dramatically better in a week, she stood to gain nothing from Brussels unless she won the title. On top of that it rained most of the week, so I doubt Caro got that much practice in either.

There is a key difference between practicing during an event and practicing away from events though. You are not really going to be working on much of anything during an event, it's more of a case of ticking over. Away from the court you can put in dedicated time to actually work on areas of your game for hours on end.

Piotr is probably right when he says it isn't possible to take 3 months off mid-season. I know people here like to say oh she can skip the grass season, but realistically due to outside factors (sponsors), that probably isn't really an option, unless she's willing to make a massive sacrifice (it would probably involve leaving Adidas etc.). One point that should be made to this though is Caro like everybody else had 2 months off in the off-season, this isn't a problem that has just started in 2013, they should have been doing this work in the off-season last year. I wonder looking back if the end of last season somehow gave her a false pretence that she was back when really she was still a long way away.

I know you say it wouldn't affect Caro's ranking much, on the face of it it's true. I mean Caro would still have 1292 points playing a "top 3 schedule" this year as opposed to the 1675 she has actually accrued (though this is slightly misleading because as said before she can only count 16 tournaments and won't be counting a lot of these points anyway). But there are other factors, firstly Caro said one of her main goals this year is to win a title. If she just played the events those players play, her chances of winning a title this year would be next to none. Secondly, Caro will have been well subsidised to play some of these extra events, especially Kuala Lumpur, Charleston and Brussels, I imagine she received a fair sum to play these events. This is probably nice when you are use to receiving big money just to play events. Thirdly, Caro has also always given a vibe of she likes to play lots of matches, maybe she prefers matches to practice weeks etc. (even if this isn't necessarily beneficial for her game right now).

To put one slant on your final question. The top players are able to get away scheduling like that, they will go deep nearly every event they play, it barely impacts their ranking at all. The others tend to have to play to keep their ranking up, which in turn equals a lot of money to them from sponsors. Azarenka use to play a boatload of events, but now doesn't because she doesn't need to. Her playing a lot of events would probably hinder her ultimate goal of winning grand slams. Most players can't afford to prioritise like that.
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3284
country flag goldenlox

She's been playing so poorly, I dont know what they can do but have good practices.
I thought Brussels might help. She won there before, it wasnt a tough field. But the way she's playing, any tournament is a tough field.
She needs well run practices where her game starts to get solid again.
Now I agree with people saying to take a break. I see nothing good about grass right now.
She needs to get her game back for the US summer
I think they need to go back to the basics. Get her groundstrokes steady in long practices.
They all need to study tape of what's going wrong & what she did when she was winning Tier I's

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3285
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian1092 View Post
I definitely think a racquet change would do Caro some good. The Yonex stick she is using at the moment (although most likely with different specifications to the one's sold on the market) is not very powerful. For Caro to improve her forehand, maybe a lighter racquet that would let her wrap around the ball more might be better? Babolat Aero like before? Hope she sorts things out.
I do think so. Not all the problems lie there, but I also believe that switching back to Babolat would do her only well, but I don't want to tell all my reasons again or else I'd sound like a broken record

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread