Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #286
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
I'm particularly happy with the UE stat, it's a great change from her Kuznetsova match.
Her big problem still lays on her serve.
Yah, Caro won only 59% of points on her 1st serve and lost 38% of her service games. Those are poor stats.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #287
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Lisicki went off form, but Caroline did play well to get to 3-2. To me, thats what I wanted to see, focused fighting in crunch time.
I said in scoring thread that even if she loses, I wanted to see her play well in set 3 and make Lisicki win it with good tennis
I dont worry about the draw. She has to fight for every point in round 2.
Thats the way this comeback is going to have to be done: Point by point, one match at a time.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #288
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Yah, Caro won only 59% of points on her 1st serve and lost 38% of her service games. Those are poor stats.
She went straight to the practice courts after the match... Got to get the serve working. Being that the sun was such an issue today, I'm surprised she never wears shades.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #289
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if over practicing is the answer. She needs her mental focus all match, every match.
But I thought the groundstrokes were okay. She was playing a girl who beat Sharapova at Wimbledon last year. When Lisicki is on she can attack anyone.

Its hard to judge this match. We'll see in round 2. Has to hold serve better, sun or not

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #290
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont know if over practicing is the answer. She needs her mental focus all match, every match.
But I thought the groundstrokes were okay. She was playing a girl who beat Sharapova at Wimbledon last year. When Lisicki is on she can attack anyone.

Its hard to judge this match. We'll see in round 2. Has to hold serve better, sun or not
Depth of shot is still an issue. Lisicki was given too many easy shots to put away.

Lisicki is a lot better on grass than on other surfaces. For example, Lisicki has two top 15 wins on hard court in her career, both of which came in Stanford in 2011. Caro had five top 15 wins on hard court last year.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Jan 15th, 2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: clarification of Caro's top 15 wins last year
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #291
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I disagree.She's beaten all of these players playing this way. She was beaten by them when she made the changes. When she was at her peak the opponent did not have to have a bad day, she was able to force them into errors. Right now, she is reliant on opponent form because she's no longer as good at it as she was before.
Part of that is incorrect;she never once beat Serena with her former style;the victory came AFTER she started making changes.That was actually one of the few moments when we could look at Caro's efforts with hope b/c she served strongly against SW and kept her off balance...her previous serve was too weak for that,and Caro had to work much,much harder on her serve cuz,in her losses to SW,she couldn't get any easy points from it.Caro didn't necessarily get aces,but she landed some serves that helped put her opponent on the defensive so that Caro could finish off points...something that had been sadly lacking in so many other key matches.....Unfortunately,Caro's FH hasn't given any similar cause for optimism yet

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Oakland Raiders 0-4 with Dennis Allen as coach, 0-5 with Tony Sparano: A model of consistency
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #292
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

She plays the 16 year old Vekic next. I've never seen her before, so i'm interested how Caroline will handle this.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #293
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Just had a quick browse in GM. One of the most active Caro haters in the thread is a One Infection fan. Figures.
Not bad,but I kind of like the moniker,Numb Erection,as it conveys the utter mindlessness of the cooker-cutter,goat-manure quality of the music and lyrics as it panders to aimless,sloppy,juvenile hormone amalgams who masquerade as human beings...but you realize,of course,that being hated by such a nimrod is an accidental compliment to someone's character

You might be right about her opponent's mental meltdown,but I'm still proud of Caroline b/c she invariably heard the prattling/wishful thinking that she'd be the first higher seed bounced...and she apparently didn't let it affect her too much......Now let's see that first winning streak of 2013,Sunshine!!

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Oakland Raiders 0-4 with Dennis Allen as coach, 0-5 with Tony Sparano: A model of consistency
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #294
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Part of that is incorrect;she never once beat Serena with her former style;the victory came AFTER she started making changes.That was actually one of the few moments when we could look at Caro's efforts with hope b/c she served strongly against SW and kept her off balance...her previous serve was too weak for that,and Caro had to work much,much harder on her serve cuz,in her losses to SW,she couldn't get any easy points from it.Caro didn't necessarily get aces,but she landed some serves that helped put her opponent on the defensive so that Caro could finish off points...something that had been sadly lacking in so many other key matches.....Unfortunately,Caro's FH hasn't given any similar cause for optimism yet
It's worth remembering that her game has always been changing... IIRC one of the reasons for that change to her serve was that it had lost pace with the new stick, and they worked on flattening the stroke to compensate. There is a lot to balance, but rather than serve, imho. consistent depth with some FH variety (depth/Spin) was her most effective weapon against BB's to date back in 2010. If she can do that she will be hard to beat.

She rarely played the big guns back then, so it's a little hard to say any particular change caused a result? It's not only her game that keeps changing but also the nature of opponents and their game.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #295
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it's Vekic in 2R, it'll be interesting to see Caro play an up-and-comer from the next generation. Vekic isn't fully developed as a player yet, of course, but if she fulfills her early promise, she and Caro may get to play many times, so it'll be interesting to see how they match up. I also think the organizers will be more excited about this "former no. 1 against the next no. 1" (or whatever they're gonna call it) matchup than Caro playing against a 26 yo Czech who never got big, so there's a better chance of Caro playing on one of the big courts again.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #296
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frp View Post
I couldn't be happier that I was wrong!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #297
country flag goldenlox

Vekic has good results for her age. They'd better watch some of her matches and get an idea of what she will face.

Caroline needs her down the line backhand. I thought it was okay in round 1.
Has to keep her forehand deep and steady. Too many short balls, but it was much steadier than most of last year, so okay.
Serve was a problem. If she does get to Vika, she needs a good 1st serve consistently. That she really has to work on. You need some points from your 1st serve against good players.

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #298
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

It's still a bit hard for me to meassure where Caro's game is at right now. You can never really judge how a GS will turn out by the play in 1R, and furthermore it was a pretty extreme match: in 90% or so of the rallies, Lisicki pulled the trigger almost immediately, regardless of whether there was an opening or not. It's hard to tell how agressive Caro would've been if it had been more up to her, because it wasn't up to her.
Against Vekic I expect a more 'normal' match, where we'll see how well Caro is currently capable of playing against an opponent who doesn't try to blow her off the court at every point.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Jan 15th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #299
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

NickBollettieri Nick Bollettieri
Wish all young players moved for the ball like @CaroWozniacki
43m

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #300
country flag goldenlox

Last year Caroline made the quarters here. And the semis in Miami.
What she needs this year is more consistency. She's only won 2 matches so far this year.
This next match is a chance to get some momentum, to show she can focus and fight at a good level 2 matches in a row.
We used to take it for granted that Caroline would get thru early rounds. But now she has to show she has the mental part back, and not just taking advantage of one opponent having a bad 3rd set

Closed Thread