Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 169 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2521
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Personally I don't care about YEC just for the sake of participating. She's been in a YEC final, so it's like "been there, done that". She'll qualify if she gets her act together and gains 500 or 900 points at one or more of the next three slams. If she doesn't, then it doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Caroline's main issue is to find a schedule that will allow her to earn the points needed for YEC.

Having said that, I must also stress that I'm generally much more optimistic than you guys. And I don't think Caro's career is a complete mess at the moment.

I follow Danish tennis a lot - all kinds of tennis, also unranked players. I also follow Swedish tennis to some degree, and I really envy Sweden and their abundance of players. At the moment, there are 17 ranked WTA players in Sweden. In Denmark there are two! And there's a tournament in Bċstad this week. Sweden have 19 women in the main draw, Denmark 2.

Still, Wozniacki has more WTA ranking points than all of Sweden's 17 WTA players combined! In fact, she has more than 50% more WTA points than all the Swedish players added together (I jus did a check ). So yeah, Caro's pretty pathethic at the moment, but everything is relative. And we should be pretty pleased after all. Sure, she doesn't belong in the top 10 with the play or attitude she's shown the last 4 tournaments, but I still think there's more to come. She's already achieved so much more than anyone had ever expected, so she really deserves that we have some confidence in her when the going gets tough.
From another stance, there has to be a lot of pressure on Caro to make Istanbul. Firstly sponsorship pressure, Turkish Airlines for one can't be happy if she doesn't make it 2 years in a row, Adidas supposedly are not happy at all with Caroline, it was mentioned a few weeks ago here with Adidas reps specifically talking about Caro needing to make Istanbul.

Another angle is this idea that she is improving kind of goes out the window if she doesn't make Istanbul again.

Also to question something you put, if her goal isn't about making Istanbul, then why is she playing Luxembourg at all then? I agree with you that long term the goal has to be more about playing better tennis, but if she isn't making Istanbul, she probably isn't doing that either, because the 2 things kind of go hand in hand.

I imagine it's all about people believe Caro is under performing. Of course you can always make the case she is still the 10th best player in the world etc., but sports people/teams don't get tend to get judged on that broad scale. Is it seen as a good season for the LA Lakers that they made the playoffs, and then lost 4-0 R1. Is Real Madrid's season seen as a success, coming 2nd in the league and making the last 4 in Europe etc. You don't tend to get judged on a broad scale in sport, you tend to get judged on a relative scale.

Out of interest, what is the reaction to Caro's situation right now in Denmark? I know if this was a Brit we would be crucifying them, but not all media's are the same .
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2522
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

If Caroline, after #1 for 2010 & 2011, struggles the rest of her career to be last one in at the YEC, its a pity, because she had tremendous talent. She won 12 titles in about 18 months. There are good players who dont win 12 all career.

But if she can cycle back and have a good part 2 to her career, 2 or 3 'bad' years wont matter.
It depends how she handles this situation. So far, she's as inconsistent as ever
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2523
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
From another stance, there has to be a lot of pressure on Caro to make Istanbul. Firstly sponsorship pressure, Turkish Airlines for one can't be happy if she doesn't make it 2 years in a row, Adidas supposedly are not happy at all with Caroline, it was mentioned a few weeks ago here with Adidas reps specifically talking about Caro needing to make Istanbul.

Another angle is this idea that she is improving kind of goes out the window if she doesn't make Istanbul again.

Also to question something you put, if her goal isn't about making Istanbul, then why is she playing Luxembourg at all then? I agree with you that long term the goal has to be more about playing better tennis, but if she isn't making Istanbul, she probably isn't doing that either, because the 2 things kind of go hand in hand.

I imagine it's all about people believe Caro is under performing. Of course you can always make the case she is still the 10th best player in the world etc., but sports people/teams don't get tend to get judged on that broad scale. Is it seen as a good season for the LA Lakers that they made the playoffs, and then lost 4-0 R1. Is Real Madrid's season seen as a success, coming 2nd in the league and making the last 4 in Europe etc. You don't tend to get judged on a broad scale in sport, you tend to get judged on a relative scale.

Out of interest, what is the reaction to Caro's situation right now in Denmark? I know if this was a Brit we would be crucifying them, but not all media's are the same .
That's all very sensible and agreeable points but personally I don't think she or her team should be concerned about the schedule or demands from sponsors. I'm sure the sponsors and the contracts will be there if or when she wins titles again. There's so much else to worry about. She's always played a rather heavy schedule, and in fact it could be worth trying to play a little less - just in order to change things. It's not going to happen, but I wouldn't worry if she skipped some minor tournaments or got a zero pointer.

Re. the Danish medias: they are either dismissive or indifferent. Probably not quite as harsh as the British press would be.

Last edited by angliru : May 7th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2524
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I be happy if she make it too YEC even if she has too be an ATL, but I hope she make the TOp 8, but mostly I want her too improve as a player

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2525
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Re. the Danish medias: they are either dismissive or indifferent. Probably not quite as harsh as the British press would be.
The jingoist Danish media is more concerned with stockpiling the country's nuclear arsenal for the planned invasion of the three larger Scandinavian nations.....so they can't be bothered with Caroline's ranking dip,can they??

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2526
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I be happy if she make it too YEC even if she has too be an ATL, but I hope she make the Top 8, but mostly I want her too improve as a player
Just being on the verge on making the YEC, like Bartoli, doesnt help her any.

This is the player who won the most matches, the most titles in 2010 & 2011.
Now she seems confused. What style to play, what to do in crucial situations.
She has gotten incredible poor coaching. But thats not an excuse to give up and stop winning any matches for months.

Old May 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2527
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

That echoes what I posted earlier;if Caroline were an overachiever like Errani,then merely making the Top 10 and qualifying for YEC by any means would be great,but Caro's potential,as she has shown,is higher than that

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2528
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Just being on the verge on making the YEC, like Bartoli, doesnt help her any.

This is the player who won the most matches, the most titles in 2010 & 2011.
Now she seems confused. What style to play, what to do in crucial situations.
She has gotten incredible poor coaching. But thats not an excuse to give up and stop winning any matches for months.
That no my point I saying i be happy if she make it as a ATl if she can't make in the top 8 in YEC, as far as her years in 2010-2011 there done and over with we can keep saying what she dont in the past has too look forward too the future & we can't exact her too win 6 title every year, Over all Caroline has not Improve where player like vika, aga, and many other in the top 10 has, she need too take that next step in improving her game and taking too the next level, & IMO she need too be aggressive and go for her winners not every player going give her the match, but at the same time she need too learn how play defense tennis at the same time as well if getting a new coach will help then that wat she need too do.

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2529
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Personally I don't care about YEC just for the sake of participating.
Making the YEC is important for what it represents, no matter how well or poorly you do when you actually get there. It sends the message, "I'm part of the elite. I'm one of the few instead of one of the many." And that's important both from a sponsorship perspective and for her own self-confidence.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2530
country flag Double A

Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future Double A has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Making the YEC is important for what it represents, no matter how well or poorly you do when you actually get there. It sends the message, "I'm part of the elite. I'm one of the few instead of one of the many." And that's important both from a sponsorship perspective and for her own self-confidence.
Well, the way Caro has been playing won't land her a spot into the YEC anyway. She's "one of the many" and has been playing like one for a while now.
Double A is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2531
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Another poor choice of an international tournament this year by Caro.

Hopefully her 1st summer hard court tournament is before Toronto so she can make up for not being able to play Moscow and a tough field for an international.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2532
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Another poor choice of an international tournament this year by Caro.

Hopefully her 1st summer hard court tournament is before Toronto so she can make up for not being able to play Moscow and a tough field for an international.
Yes tbh it doesn't appear to make sense on any level. If she cruises to Istanbul, you don't really want to be playing the week before, she'll need to be in peak condition in Istanbul. If it comes down to needing points for Istanbul, it's far better to play some other international and have the option to play Moscow if required. Luxembourg normally has a relatively tough field for an international, if worst comes to worst and she's out of Istanbul contention, this is one of the toughest internationals to win to make Sofia.

You would even think some of the weak Asian internationals would pay a far higher appearance fee than Luxembourg, maybe, I don't really know, it's hard to judge Caroline's worth to these tournaments right now.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2533
country flag Représailles

Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute Représailles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Yes tbh it doesn't appear to make sense on any level. If she cruises to Istanbul, you don't really want to be playing the week before, she'll need to be in peak condition in Istanbul. If it comes down to needing points for Istanbul, it's far better to play some other international and have the option to play Moscow if required. Luxembourg normally has a relatively tough field for an international, if worst comes to worst and she's out of Istanbul contention, this is one of the toughest internationals to win to make Sofia.

You would even think some of the weak Asian internationals would pay a far higher appearance fee than Luxembourg, maybe, I don't really know, it's hard to judge Caroline's worth to these tournaments right now.
From what I know, Luxembourg pays a relatively high appearance fee, I know some of the organizers...
Plus it was big news yesterday on all the radio channels...
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2534
country flag goldenlox

I hope they understand what they're getting when they pay a big appearance fee to 2013 Caroline. She lost to Wang round 1 in Malaysia, lost to Pervak, Muguruza, Voegele... Lost her 1st or 2nd match more than half the tournaments she plays.
They must pay based on how far the player goes in the tournament, because anyone on a given day can beat the current Wozniacki (and if you told me that 2 years ago I wouldnt have believed it).

Old May 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #2535
country flag Trey

Is there ANy news or updates on Caro so far hoping she practicing

Closed Thread