Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 165 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2461
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
in all honesty I thought she had no chances and sadly I was proved right...I still believe she ought to take some time off, work properly on her game and on her fitness, she's lost too much weight and you can see it in her rough power...
Well, she has no power whatsoever, but I don't think that has anything to do with weight loss. There are girls as light as a feather who hit much harder than Caroline.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2462
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Caroline was too good for weight or trying to be more aggressive to have these kinds of results.
I'm starting to agree with people who think Caroline will retire soon. This is a shell of the player who was holding 9 titles 2 years ago
Maybe she's already pregnant

I think she's much better than that and she can get back to her best tennis, maybe that won't mean being world number 1 again or winning matches, but I know she can get back and I trust her

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2463
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I hoping she get it together soon, At least make a decent run at Rome & RG, she should add Brussels Open as well too her Caly season IMO

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2464
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
This is the mental side though. While Caro often makes players look good because of the lack of depth on her shots. There is also a massive intangible feature that won't show up on such analysis. That is that Caro of 2013 doesn't have the aura, the reputation of Caro of 2011. I wonder how many of Caro's opponents this year have gone on to court fearing what she brings to the court, a much lower % than in 2011 that is for sure. Her opponents probably are playing better, but that is because there is no fear factor anymore. There is not a lot Caro can do to work on that apart from winning tennis matches.
Yes but look at today's match. Just blown off court by a player who believed she could win and was playing much better than her usual self for a set and a half. But that was until midway into set 2. Caro could and should definitely have done better then when she was given the chance to turn it round. This is where detailed recording stats helps afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Such analysis will also surely just cough up the obvious areas of decline, which surely her team are aware of. Obviously you would be able to break it down and see the differences in stroke production between now and 2011, but actually fixing and coming up with the solutions is a different thing altogether.
It is really staggerring how often doing a spreadsheet with actual data comes up with answers entirely different to perceived wisdom and what is thought. Just to give an example: A spreadsheet of money spent on electricity revealed a totally different answer to perceived wisdom and what is expected. That revealed leaving things on like a circuit breaker plug plugged in and switched on that is believed to be nothing actually adds up and ends up being a really big contributer to the bills.

Also, it has been posted here (and I think this includes yourself) a theory that what is coming from her and her team is contradictory - working on more aggressive especially on forehand, working on back to what got her to #1 before, working on fitness. And then there's all sorts of advice comong from commentators and analysts. So what is Caro to think deep down when it gets tough in a match.

Hard analysed data that is recorded and can be seen is vital in knowing what you are trying to do is right. Sure she may not be able to correct it. But since there is no downside - I cannot understand your objection. In no situation is she worse off for knowing that this % reason here and this % there etc is why I've not got the results I had and the recorded figures show this and back this up. It is important that what she works on, what she thinks intellectually, and what she thinks deep down are in accord and based on a sound footing.

Did Annika Sorenstam when she recorded everything in spreadsheets as to what to improve - completely unheard of back then in the very late nineties. Did she say Oh - my coaches will know what needs improving so what's the point of this? It'll just throw up what they and I know already? No and she dominated at the top as the best female golfer 1998-1999 and 2001-2005(6).

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : May 5th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2465
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
It is really staggering how often doing a spreadsheet with actual data comes up with answers entirely different to perceived wisdom and what is thought. Just to give an example: A spreadsheet of money spent on electricity revealed a totally different answer to perceived wisdom and what is expected. That revealed leaving things on like a circuit breaker plug plugged in and switched on that is believed to be nothing actually adds up and ends up being a really big contributor to the bills.

Also, it has been posted here (and I think this includes yourself) a theory that what is coming from her and her team is contradictory - working on more aggressive especially on forehand, working on back to what got her to #1 before, working on fitness. And then there's all sorts of advice comong from commentators and analysts. So what is Caro to think deep down when it gets tough in a match.

Hard analysed data that is recorded and can be seen is vital in knowing what you are trying to do is right. Sure she may not be able to correct it. But since there is no downside - I cannot understand your objection. In no situation is she worse off for knowing that this % reason here and this % there etc is why I've not got the results I had and the recorded figures show this and back this up. It is important that what she works on, what she thinks intellectually, and what she thinks deep down are in accord and based on a sound footing.

Did Annika Sorenstam when she recorded everything in spreadsheets as to what to improve - completely unheard of back then in the very late nineties. Did she say Oh - my coaches will know what needs improving so what's the point of this? It'll just throw up what they and I know already? No and she dominated at the top as the best female golfer 1998-1999 and 2001-2005(6).
I don't really have any objection because there is nothing to lose. There is some key difference to your examples. Caro's problem aren't statistical, so it's not I see what is wrong, therefore I can repair it. An example of this is any coach in the world knows Caro has the incorrect grip on her forehand volley, but she's never changed it. It's also not really numbers you want to be feeding your played, you want to be feeding it to the coach, because as a stand alone they don't really help the player solve the problem, they're likely to just cloud the player's mind further.

The difference between golf and tennis, in golf you completely control your own destiny, everything is under your control, your game pattern will stay mostly the same (though obviously differs for courses). In tennis this isn't true. For example if I'm understanding you correctly part of what you are talking about is find game patterns that work and get rid of those that don't, but this is going to differ depending on your opponents strengths and weaknesses.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #2466
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Impossible to say. Her current form (on clay) is immaterial to what she may be like on a hardcourt in August.
Pervak, Wang, and Muguruza say no. And Kuznetsova would like to get in a word as well.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #2467
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
But they hand out WC like the guy with the shop sign on Oxford Street hands out business cards, no?

Surely a WAG with a famous golfer boyfriend can get a WC.
I believe there are two wildcards for Sofia. I've read that Ana Ivanovic is going to get one and it's a pretty safe bet that they'll give a wildcard to local Tsvetana Pironkova.

So it looks like Caro will have to win an international tournament to get back to Sofia or she could somehow make the real YEC (or be an alternate. Otherwise it'll be a couple of more weeks for Caro to watch golf err work productively on her tennis career in some fashion (such as a potential coach or racquet change).
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #2468
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, she has no power whatsoever, but I don't think that has anything to do with weight loss. There are girls as light as a feather who hit much harder than Caroline.
Ana Ivanovic used to have a lot more oomph on her forehand when she weighed more.

Do you agree that Caro's shots don't have as much oomph as they did a few years ago?
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #2469
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I believe there are two wildcards for Sofia. I've read that Ana Ivanovic is going to get one
They've already assumed that she won't win any tournaments and will require a WC to get in.....Sorry,that was just TOO easy

On to worthier,less-slutty topics: I was actually able to sympathize with Caroline back when she was getting so much advice via the various media on how she should change her game to win a Slam.However,players can sometimes start to lean on that defense mechanism--'everyone's always telling me what to do'--as a crutch.....and then they close themselves off to suggestions that really WOULD be helpful.I'm not saying that Caroline is doing that,per se,but she HAS sort of paraphrased the above refrain on a couple occasions

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Latinoamerica, where we have extended holiday vacations
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2470
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Ana Ivanovic used to have a lot more oomph on her forehand when she weighed more.

Do you agree that Caro's shots don't have as much oomph as they did a few years ago?
Yes, but everyone always says that it's due to her changing racquets. Whether there's any truth in that, I don't know. But I don't believe that you need to bulk up to hit a powerful shot. Just look at Caro's 2009 match in Sydney against Serena which she almost won. She hit the ball so crisply and with so much confidence back then. That Caro would have destroyed the Caro of today, and she definitely wasn't bulked up.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2471
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
Maybe she's already pregnant

I think she's much better than that and she can get back to her best tennis, maybe that won't mean being world number 1 again or winning matches, but I know she can get back and I trust her
So I'm not the only speculating about that?
I agree, she can get back to her best level and it's all up to her if she will realise her potential.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2472
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
So I'm not the only speculating about that?
I agree, she can get back to her best level and it's all up to her if she will realise her potential.
If she really was pregnant, wouldn't she take a break from the tour? ...

It's not like money is an issue.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #2473
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Confidence is probably a big part of this.
She & her team made big mistakes. The way they tried to change her game took too much away from what made her successful.

That doesnt mean she cant be successful again.
There are about 10 weeks until the summer hardcourt season starts. Thats a lot of time, and Caro & her team should get together now & decide what she will do going forward. What style to play, what ways to train.
Thats what I would be doing now. I wouldnt panic or worry about the next 2 majors.
Just get settled. Get one plan, a plan that is doable, not some dream that she's going to have a Federer forehand.

They wasted 2 years, but she's still 22, and you have to think positive and prepare for a long term run at the top.
I still think she has the talent. I saw it in Dubai & IW
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2474
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

That is pretty big though goldenlox because by doing that your effectively sacrificing the year. To do that you have to basically agree within yourself that this year is a write off.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2475
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what they're doing now. Its been 2 years, and eventually they have to accept that there are some parts of Caroline's game that cant be reworked successfully. How many years do they let her go on like this?
She still has plenty of time, but her team needs to smarten up
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread