Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 126 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1876
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Who all are you counting as YEC contenders?
Oh, I don't know. Those that are currently in the top 12 of the race rankings I suppose.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1877
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro is defending 595 points during the summer, which doesn't seem like that many to me. Her YEC race standing is probably more important though.

Last year Caro's 16th best result was 200 points. She'll probably need something similar to that or better as her lowest counted result for this year if she wants to make the YEC. Right now her YEC race total includes four optional results under under 200 points with two 1 point results counted.

A semi in Stanford, Carlsbad, or New Haven (if it's still a premier) is worth 200 points and a quarterfinal in Toronto or Cincy is worth 225 points.
595 points Caro would have to go SF, SF in her 2 events to better, that is above her average performance recently.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1878
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
On the second point I would agree if we could rely on Caroline to go deep in these events, and go into USO with a realistic shot of winning. The problem is this period is the first time since the Australian Open that Caroline is actually defending a reasonable number of points. These events are going to be a lot stronger than they were last year, and Caroline if she only plays 2 events has effectively got to make finals to gain anything. This is the prime time of season for Caroline to amass points with regards to the race to Istanbul. Almost certainly her fellow contenders in the race to Istanbul will be playing more than 2 events in this period.
This may be the first time that someone argued that Caroline is playing too few events.

The schedule listed on her official site is definitely flexible. The last few years she hasn't played Carlsbad and San Diego but that may change this year as she doesn't have Copenhagen or Bastad scheduled. Personally, I would rather that she goes for quality rather than quantity and puts her focus on Toronto/Cincinnati/Flushing Meadows and uses the "off" weeks to work on her game. Of course that doesn't guarantee that she will have deep runs at those events but this is the schedule I would like to see.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1879
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes she definitely needs a better clay and grass court season than last year. But we're still likely left with a situation that Caro's best chance of racking up points is on hard courts. Is playing just the 2 events in the 7 weeks between Wimbledon and US Open maximising that? Caro must be confident of making Istanbul anyway, she has it listed in her schedule on her website .
She also had it listed last year and things did not work out as anticipated. I guess she didn't learn the lesson. Perhaps a little more humility would benefit her (or whoever drew up that schedule).

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1880
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
No, the rest is just your opinion.

Can we please leave Davenport and her autistic needs to lable and categorise everything into dumb TV audience sized chunks, and similarly the comparisons to players who aren't similar, and are each unique human wonders, along with the prejudiced opinions of what qualifies success out of the conversation?

Life is too short.
Firstly that is not my opinion. That is the clear obvious mass opinion. I didn't even state my opinion.

The problem with your arguments is they lack all objection. You don't debate using both sides. You just take the side you want and accept it, and the side you don't want is automatically rubbish. Davenport, Cronin whoever they are all trolls. Wilander supports your argument so he must be correct, yet I go elsewhere and people will me Wilander is a terrible journalist, so it's just opinion depending on what you want to believe. It also weakens your arguments when you don't actually address say Davenport's points and instead just launch personal attacks which are irrelevant to the issue (eg. calling someone autistic is highly offensive, and not really something to be joked about).

Your points that go into deep technical analysis are mostly correct. It takes time to repair the damage, probably everyone will agree on that, but why did she allow her game to become so damaged in the first place. It's impossible to really judge if what she is doing right now is correct, we don't have the hindsight of 18 months time. But it is clear mistakes have taken place back when she was at the top of the game, it's those mistakes that have created the problems she has now. How many players have ever peaked, slumped for multiple years, then got back to where they were at their peak without being injured or retiring. The conclusion to take from that is it is mental as opposed to necessarily a physical reason for not being able to compete at the level you were before.

This point "Along with the prejudiced opinions of what qualifies success out of the conversation?". Out of interest are you saying then that you classify how Caroline is doing right now is success?

Last edited by ozza : Apr 8th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1881
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
This may be the first time that someone argued that Caroline is playing too few events.

The schedule listed on her official site is definitely flexible. The last few years she hasn't played Carlsbad and San Diego but that may change this year as she doesn't have Copenhagen or Bastad scheduled. Personally, I would rather that she goes for quality rather than quantity and puts her focus on Toronto/Cincinnati/Flushing Meadows and uses the "off" weeks to work on her game. Of course that doesn't guarantee that she will have deep runs at those events but this is the schedule I would like to see.
Tbh I think maybe it's better looking at this after Wimbledon or closer to that time. Because a lot of this depends on what she does in next couple of months. If she shows much promise consistently making QF's+ then that schedule is arguably the best one. If she repeats last year, then I really think that schedule has to be looked at. She basically has only listed mandatory events post-Wimbledon, that is a pretty skinny schedule, especially if you are in need of points.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1882
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

I truly would like too see Caroline play some DOuble this year mostly at the Grand Slam Caro haven't Played Double in a while I think she played once last year, but I think it could help her out in the long run.

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1883
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Firstly that is not my opinion. That is the clear obvious mass opinion. I didn't even state my opinion.

The problem with your arguments is they lack all objection. You don't debate using both sides. You just take the side you want and accept it, and the side you don't want is automatically rubbish. Davenport, Cronin whoever they are all trolls. Wilander supports your argument so he must be correct, yet I go elsewhere and people will me Wilander is a terrible journalist, so it's just opinion depending on what you want to believe. It also weakens your arguments when you don't actually address say Davenport's points and instead just launch personal attacks which are irrelevant to the issue (eg. calling someone autistic is highly offensive, and not really something to be joked about).

Your points that go into deep technical analysis are mostly correct. It takes time to repair the damage, probably everyone will agree on that, but why did she allow her game to become so damaged in the first place. It's impossible to really judge if what she is doing right now is correct, we don't have the hindsight of 18 months time. But it is clear mistakes have taken place back when she was at the top of the game, it's those mistakes that have created the problems she has now. How many players have ever peaked, slumped for multiple years, then got back to where they were at their peak without being injured or retiring. The conclusion to take from that is it is mental as opposed to necessarily a physical reason for not being able to compete at the level you were before.

This point "Along with the prejudiced opinions of what qualifies success out of the conversation?". Out of interest are you saying then that you classify how Caroline is doing right now is success?
There is nothing offensive about being 'autistic'. Nor am i joking... We are nearly all of that condition to a degree, and it is just degrees of, that qualify as one as 'clinically diagnosable' or not. Further It is perfectly valid to describe the symptomatic condition of an organasation or body with easily comunicable metaphores.

No Wilander does not support my argument. Wilander explained the process of developement in a neutral and objective manner. He suggested that the allowed internationals were the place to 'experiment' and loose rather than bring changes online at important events in the manner that Caroline did (and not within discussion about any particlar player). He also highlighted the pitfalls of actually switching raquets rather than painting your own (something a little dificult to do if one is square and ther other round).

No, Cronin does not have an equally valid opinion, he relinquished that when he persisted with a clear bias and prefference toward a certain playing style (and player) foregoing objectivity.

No, Davenport doese not have a valid opinion, she relinquished that in the same manner as Cronin as a player, and has obvious malice. Further it is my contention that she is soundbighting to suit her employers, and target audiences demands.

Perhaps these 'others' like to hear there favorites talked up?

Re the technical chnages. Allow to decline? It's rarely intentional. You strive to improve and sometimes it backfires. You play on at a disadvantage fullfilling your obligations, You move on. You strive to improve. At no point in the process is there a need or justification for blame.

I find our use of the word 'slumped' rather disingenuous. She has like every player at the top lost some matches, some to rank out siders, who hasn't? If your form elludes you you go on, you strive to rebuild it. Sometimes its a mental issue (striker not scoring), other times there is a technical basis to the drop in form. Sometimes a mix of both with oposition tactics thrown in too. You move on. You strive to improve.

Do I think Caroline is a success? Imho, yes, a huge success... She remains at the top of her profession competeing in all the elite events. Do I think she can do better? Yes. I think she will allways need to play at 110% to beat some of the other players on their best form with her gamestyle, but I think she potential to improve both technically and tactically, and become a wiser, more shrewd, and entertaining player to follow. I only started following her (I was a wimbledon regular in the days of borg and Wade, but lost all love of tennis with the rise of power tennis and two point rallies) because she was a home girl and has allways pleasured us with her growth and many transformations. Untimately she has more than exceeded my origional expectations, and as a fan I'm happy to support any choices she makes. She is a fighter and an overachiever, but Nobody has the right to expect more from somebody than they themselves have achieved. She is not an object, or a robot... I don't share the gloom, or support the need form recrimination. I don't bugrude her some well earned fun either.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #1884
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Oh, I don't know. Those that are currently in the top 12 of the race rankings I suppose.
Here's the YEC race standings from #5 to 15. I think the YEC race top 4 (Vika, Serena, Sharapova, and Aga) are too consistent for Caro to chase down even in the event that she got her act together. There are only a couple of players outside of the top 15 that I think could have a shot at the YEC (Stosur and Venus notably).

5 NA LI CHN 2,130.00 7
6 SARA ERRANI ITA 1,830.00 9
7 CAROLINE WOZNIACKI DEN 1,667.00 9
8 SLOANE STEPHENS USA 1,367.00 8
9 ANGELIQUE KERBER GER 1,332.00 8
10 PETRA KVITOVA CZE 1,306.00 8
11 MARIA KIRILENKO RUS 1,281.00 7
12 JELENA JANKOVIC SRB 1,276.00 7
13 MONA BARTHEL GER 1,076.00 8
14 SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA RUS 946.00 7
15 ROBERTA VINCI ITA 941.00 8

Who do you think will do a lot better than Caro on clay and who do you think will do a lot better than Caro on grass?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Apr 8th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1885
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
595 points Caro would have to go SF, SF in her 2 events to better, that is above her average performance recently.
If Caro is playing awfully, then the number of tournaments she plays probably won't matter.

At this point I don't expect Caro to "defend" all those points but with an ok level of play I think she can make the round of 16 in one of those premier 5s and the quarters in the other. That would be a total of 335 points.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1886
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to figure YEC right now. There's 4 or 5 we know will be there. But a lot of players are capable of challenging for the last few spots.
When Caroline said she was motivated and reached Dubai SF & IW F, I thought she had a great shot. I was thinking top 4 was possible.
But these losses to Muguruza & Voegele right before the clay season, make it impossible to know.
Caroline might need 2 or 3 years away from the top. Jankovic lost her #1 more than 4 years ago, now she looks like she's making a top 5 run.
It could be she needs a few more years out of the spotlight before she gets some of her old focus back.
From everything that I've seen, players who are in the top group, then just fall off while healthy, its very very hard to get back in the elite group.
They wouldnt dropoff if they could help it. Its not like Caroline wants to lose to Pervak, Sveta twice, Wang, Muguruza, Voegele. She cant play well enough to win these matches
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1887
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
There is nothing offensive about being 'autistic'. Nor am i joking... We are nearly all of that condition to a degree, and it is just degrees of, that qualify as one as 'clinically diagnosable' or not. Further It is perfectly valid to describe the symptomatic condition of an organasation or body with easily comunicable metaphores.

Do I think Caroline is a success? Imho, yes, a huge success... She remains at the top of her profession competeing in all the elite events. Do I think she can do better? Yes. I think she will allways need to play at 110% to beat some of the other players on their best form with her gamestyle, but I think she potential to improve both technically and tactically, and become a wiser, more shrewd, and entertaining player to follow. I only started following her (I was a wimbledon regular in the days of borg and Wade, but lost all love of tennis with the rise of power tennis and two point rallies) because she was a home girl and has allways pleasured us with her growth and many transformations. Untimately she has more than exceeded my origional expectations, and as a fan I'm happy to support any choices she makes. She is a fighter and an overachiever, but Nobody has the right to expect more from somebody than they themselves have achieved. She is not an object, or a robot... I don't share the gloom, or support the need form recrimination. I don't bugrude her some well earned fun either.
I don't know how insulting someone with a mental disorder cannot be offensive, but maybe it isn't where you are. Where I am from if you insulted someone with such language you would be dismissed/sacked/expelled.

Right, on topic.

I think everyone is aware of the pitfalls of changing rackets. It's more a question about why Caroline if this is the case (this is hypothetical, some don't even see this as the problem from reading here) hasn't sorted it out by now. If the racket was the problem, and they can't make a racket to what she needs, she should have ditched them ages ago. You don't go back and forth over 2 years later still searching for the right balance.

Cronin, Davenport may not be objective. In Davenport's case I haven't seen anywhere near enough information to judge (I don't watch via US telecasts, so only get what she does on UK telecasts of French Open, Wimbledon), I don't particularly like Cronin either, Cronin has actually been pretty positive with regard to Caro recently though. All this is irrelevant though, these people are still entitled to their opinion.

Of course it isn't intentional, but some of the decisions have clearly been wrong. Of course I am using hindsight to see this now, but in recent memory a lot of Caro's decisions have been questioned even by some on here. They will have been done in the best of faith, but nobody in any work of life, makes a decisions destined to not succeed. Sometimes people are wrong, you then take the blame for those mistakes.

Everyone loses, everyone doesn't play their best every match. Serena lost R1 at French Open to Razzano, people accept it, you can't perform at your best every match. It becomes a slump when you can't perform at your best time after time. It doesn't matter how much you are striving to improve that performance, it is still classified as a slump. A slump is defined as a period of decline or deterioration.

It's the last paragraph where we mostly disagree anyway. You measure success on a broader scale. I measure success against potential shown. This is fine, we'll probably always disagree on this. Of course there are varying levels of success.

Fwiw from my side it's nothing to with having to play 110% to beat some players, eg. Serena. It's not as simple as breaking it down into winning and losing. Eg. Caro losing to Clijsters at YEC 2010, there is nothing wrong with this, she played fine and was beaten by a better player. Someone summed up my sort of stance a few pages ago, Caro's problem isn't Serena, Sharapova or Azarenka, that's Radwanska's problem. Caro's problem is even getting through to face these players. If Caro had the Radwanska problem that would be fine, we don't really know if she would, because she is consistently below par. And of course you are right, anyone is prone to an upset every now and then, either you don't play well or they play lights out tennis. The issue with Caro is it happens far too often, and more worryingly these days that low ranked player doesn't even seem to need to play outstanding tennis to beat Caroline.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1888
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
The truth may be somewhere in the middle. It is ludicrous to assert that the Caroline that is playing now would have gotten anywhere near number one. Anyone who is paying attention should be able to see that she is losing to players that she just didn't lose to, or very rarely lost to, circa 2009-mid 2011. There is a case to be made that she was never really the best player on the tour but it is also true that she was playing much better then than she is now.
2009? Do you mean 2010? 2009 had some consistency issues in Caro's results but a lot less than now though.

I think Caro was the 2nd best player (at least through 2011 Indian Wells) in Serena's absence with Kim being the best player due to her better slam results (2 slam wins). It becomes murkier through the 2011 clay season with Caro's results dropping some and ending with the bad French Open 3rd round loss to Hantuchova and with Kim only playing the French Open during the clay season and having a very bad 2nd round loss to Rus there.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1889
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

From mid 2010-2011 no one won anything over Tier 2 except Caro or Kim. There was no doubt she was in the top 2, and we knew Kim wasnt hanging around too long.
But I think whats happened since then will have people minimizing that. I thought holding 9 titles with 15 semis in 19 tournaments is pretty rare.
But the career is more than 2 years, and when you show great early results, most people expect to see a lot more
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1890
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know how insulting someone with a mental disorder cannot be offensive, but maybe it isn't where you are. Where I am from if you insulted someone with such language you would be dismissed/sacked/expelled.
I don't regard it as an insult, further, if you read medical studies you will realise that we are all mentaly ill. It is a question of degree that constitutes clinical diagnosis as a disorder. Ignooring that little reality is imho insulting to those with a greater degree than myself through no fault of there own. All human beings share traits that can be at either extreme or bang on centre yet still be a trait. Don't expect me to add to a stigma that shouldn't exist for other than that of being human.

I will read the rest of your post at an alternate time.
Closed Thread