Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 123 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1831
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
This is a parting question cuz I'm taking off and,if you have a chance to reply,I'll read your response tonight.

Isn't Yonex a bit less prestigious than some other racket companies??I ask that in ignorance but also b/c it seems to me that,if you're a #1,like Caro was,who's playing well and think about switching rackets(and have the clout to demand a custom design),shouldn't you go with a company that has an extensive track record of satisfying even hard-to-please clients??I'll admit that I'm going by cross-chat from here at TF,but I recall that a lot of folks had a 'WTF!' reaction when Caroline went with Yonex
I guess Head, and Wilson are the traditional Brands, with Babolat making a recent Splash... Yonex is huge in Badmington circles and Scandinavia.

I'm sure Yonex are doing their part (Didn't she just get a new Stick this Jan?), but switching is a huge risk... Especially at the sharp end of sport where the margins are so close. At the time the were looking at increased top spin, kick serves, etc. Caro became noticably more muscular in the uper body than today, etc... Had Head built her a raquet for greater spin then I assume the result would be the same. Right now she definately apears to have lost some weight, feel, and instinct, in her stokes... The endless tension changes suggest an issue with balancing weight and feel/control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1832
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
The racquet is probably a part of it but keep in mind that her results didn't tail off right away. She made the semis in Melbourne, won Dubai, final in Doha, won Indian Wells, won Charleston and made the final in Stuttgart. The only "bad" results during that stretch were Sydney and Miami. Maybe some of that was due to the aura of being number one and players feeling like they just couldn't beat her but the racquet change didn't seem to hamper her at all for the first four months of 2011.

Maybe when her confidence started to dip a bit with the early exits at Roland Garros and Wimbledon the switch caught up with her?
Is the racket she used in Dubai & IW her main problem? Then she's crazy not to change it, if the racket is causing this erratic play.
She plays okay with that racket sometimes, so I think its her
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1833
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
I guess Head, and Wilson are the traditional Brands, with Babolat making a recent Splash... Yonex is huge in Badmington circles and Scandinavia.

I'm sure Yonex are doing their part (Didn't she just get a new Stick this Jan?), but switching is a huge risk... Especially at the sharp end of sport where the margins are so close. At the time the were looking at increased top spin, kick serves, etc. Caro became noticably more muscular in the uper body than today, etc... Had Head built her a raquet for greater spin then I assume the result would be the same. Right now she definately apears to have lost some weight, feel, and instinct, in her stokes... The endless tension changes suggest an issue with balancing weight and feel/control.
So she switched to a racquet that gives her more top spin but they want her to flatten out her strokes to play more offensively? No wonder she's struggling.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1834
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

TO flatten out her strokes i guess Head would be the best choice It does great with Control & Power something she need both of & Flatten out shot pretty well if she ever change her racquet again through which is a big If that be a good choice If Not I say go back too Babolat. I think Wilson is more for Offense player But all & all that If Caro Willing too make an that change

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1835
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Is the racket she used in Dubai & IW her main problem? Then she's crazy not to change it, if the racket is causing this erratic play.
She plays okay with that racket sometimes, so I think its her
She also played fine with the Yonex in first half of 2011.

She had a seamless swift from one racket to another. Brilliant 2H 2010 backed up with new racket in 1H 2011. Hence I agree. It's not the racket. It's her.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1836
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its definately her because if the racket is any issue at all, she's a nut to not switch to a stick she's comfortable with.
Changing rackets is nothing in tennis.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #1837
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

The first half of 2011 was just as good as the latter half of 2010 for Caroline. The racket has never been an issue

It's actually sad, in terms of results she may not be doing a whole lot worse than this point last year but the calibre of opponents she has been losing to has dropped significantly.

2012 (up until April):
Radwanska (3 sets), Clijsters (tiebreaker), Safarova (3 sets, had MP), Goerges (two tight sets), Ivanovic, Sharapova (3 sets)

2013 (up until April) :
Pervak , Kuznetsova, Kvitova (routined), Radwanska (routined), Wang (no comment), Sharapova (drubbed), Muguruza (routined) Vogele (routined after set 1)

It's like JJ and her random losses to scrubs post 2009

Last edited by CloudAtlas : Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
CloudAtlas is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #1838
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamanKarolina View Post
The first half of 2011 was just as good as the latter half of 2010 for Caroline. The racket has never been an issue

It's actually sad, in terms of results she may not be doing a whole lot worse than this point last year but the calibre of opponents she has been losing to has dropped significantly.

2012 (up until April):
Radwanska, Clijsters, Safarova, Goerges, Ivanovic, Sharapova

2013 (up until April) :
Pervak , Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Radwanska, Wang , Sharapova, Muguruza , Vogele
Which confirms my opinion that she's not improving - she's getting worse. If you take the AO where she did ok-ish because we have lowered our expectations and Indian Wells where she had the luck of not having to play Azarenka out of the equation 2013 has so far been mediocre for a player of her status.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #1839
country flag CloudAtlas
Lamenting the days of peak SEWTA

CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute CloudAtlas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Which confirms my opinion that she's not improving - she's getting worse. If you take the AO where she did ok-ish because we have lowered our expectations and Indian Wells where she had the luck of not having to play Azarenka out of the equation 2013 has so far been mediocre for a player of her status.

I miss the days where she'd disappear from twitter for a few days following a loss instead of gleefully tweeting about road trips to golf hosting towns mere 48 hours after an indefensible one.

Not to say that a sense of perspective is a bad thing in tennis of course, but ultimately you get what you work for. Caroline has never been the most naturally gifted tennis player and I'm a firm believer that her incessant hard work and dedication to her game is what got her as far as it did. At her best there was no other option, we would see her back on the practice court or in a gym or undertaking some other sort of fitness activity regardless of whether she won or lost. She'd be tweeting about heading off for a workout or to a practice court a couple of hours after after winning a title sometimes. That's been replaced with heading off to see the bf and so the work ethic has taken a bit of a hit. Losing a match doesn't affect her as much anymore as there are other things that she can do with that time, which matter to her just as much.

I've never been keen to blame Rory for any of this but their relationship has shown Caroline that there are other things to be enjoyed just as much as tennis, and unfortunately the amelioration of that initial dedication has had a drastic effect on her career, as it was the main factor contributing to her success.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1840
country flag KleineBiere

KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute KleineBiere has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2012 (up until April):
Radwanska (3 sets), Clijsters (tiebreaker), Safarova (3 sets, had MP), Goerges (two tight sets), Ivanovic, Sharapova (3 sets)
Aga? caro served for match
Ana? two top 5 wins after RG 2008. one of them in indian wells 2012
losing to Safarova & Goerges...on hardcourt..pretty low

last year i was more pissed off

Quote:
I've never been keen to blame Rory for any of this but their relationship has shown Caroline that there are other things to be enjoyed just as much as tennis, and unfortunately the amelioration of that initial dedication has had a drastic effect on her career, as it was the main factor contributing to her success.

'caro in love' has zero top 5 wins and played only 6 finals (39 events played).including copenhagen, seoul & sofia

but caro is the reason why I enjoy the wta again
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #1841
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Serena stayed in her hotel room for 2 days after losing in the 1st round of a grand slam. What did Caro do in that same situation? She went off to watch golf.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #1842
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I miss the days where she'd disappear from twitter for a few days following a loss instead of gleefully tweeting about road trips to golf hosting towns mere 48 hours after an indefensible one.

Not to say that a sense of perspective is a bad thing in tennis of course, but ultimately you get what you work for. Caroline has never been the most naturally gifted tennis player and I'm a firm believer that her incessant hard work and dedication to her game is what got her as far as it did. At her best there was no other option, we would see her back on the practice court or in a gym or undertaking some other sort of fitness activity regardless of whether she won or lost. She'd be tweeting about heading off for a workout or to a practice court a couple of hours after after winning a title sometimes. That's been replaced with heading off to see the bf and so the work ethic has taken a bit of a hit. Losing a match doesn't affect her as much anymore as there are other things that she can do with that time, which matter to her just as much.

I Hope she start making Tennis her Top Priority again & Start Improving on the thing that need too be Improve on Looking at JJ on How she starting too get take tennis serious again and Improve on her Serve & even Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova who has Improve on her Fitness this year Caro really need too get together

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #1843
country flag Double A

Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of Double A has much to be proud of

She's losing to "scrubs". She has basically lost her fight/hunger. Her game has regressed.

I always wonder why I even support Wozniacki. Every time she loses another match, especially the ones she's expected to win, I tell myself I need to find another player to support.. but then I end up always supporting her again.
Is anyone else like this? Haha.
Double A is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #1844
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And the similarity to Anna is erm, none at all... Or do you mean Ana went Yonex?

Is JJ not eligible for this comparison anymore?

I fully see what and why you're saying, but the signs of old days are there, but that doesn't mean she is going to miraculously change overnight. She obviously has work to do... We get it.

Still nobody pleased with the FH progress and changes?
A potential return to 7 or 8 in the rankings for JJ is worthy of some praise but I don't think it means JJ is back to being a contender for big titles. Her game to me still seems a good way off from around the time when she was #1. It also doesn't excuse throwing away valuable prime years.

I'd be pleased if Caro could hit a decent, solid forehand on a consistent match to match basis. Caro's forehand doesn't need to be a weapon, it needs to be minimized as a weakness.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Apr 8th, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #1845
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks for the input;I've never played tennis aside from hitting around,playing doubles with school chums,so I was unaware of the subtle ways that a racket change might affect Caro or any other player

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread