Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 122 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1816
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
babolat racquet did give Caroline more power that was a dumb choice when she did that change alot commentators have said that as well she should stay with babolat racquet or should change her racquet again but like ozza has said that not the only problem neither.
of course not, but this tool -IMO- exploits her flaws and exposes them more. If you can't generate much pace because of your technique I wouldn't play with a racket that gives you less extra power it's just dumb

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1817
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
I am not a tennis player, but I am a skier and I saw on my sking what it meant to go for a brand which didn't suit my style...I've spent a whole year struggling to do anything I used to do with my older brand, but usually you don't put the blame on the skis, either to yourself or your flaws or whatever...questioning your skis is like questioning your feet...I've dropped around 500 places in the world ranking...the year after I switched to another brand and reached my career highest ranking 300 places ahead of my former best ranking.
I think something like that can be happening here
The difference is I guess you aren't a multi-millionaire (you can correct me if I'm wrong ) with effectively infinite resources at your disposal. If Caro is serious about maximising her tennis career, then she makes sure she has the best equipment for her. Not go on using some sub-standard equipment just because it brings in some extra money. She must have some hold over Yonex to get them to create a racket to what she wants, if they are unable/unwilling you seek other options.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1818
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
The difference is I guess you aren't a multi-millionaire (you can correct me if I'm wrong ) with effectively infinite resources at your disposal. If Caro is serious about maximising her tennis career, then she makes sure she has the best equipment for her. Not go on using some sub-standard equipment just because it brings in some extra money. She must have some hold over Yonex to get them to create a racket to what she wants, if they are unable/unwilling you seek other options.
you ain't wrong, unluckily I don't own that much money, but I know what's a sponsorship and I had some of the best equipments under my feet, they just weren't fit for my style and well, then you start to doubt your skills and so on.
I don't know, I just think that often the solution is easier than what people might think and usually coaches and players too try to look for deeper reasons before blaming their equipments, because when you start to doubt them, you don't trust em hence you can't play up to your potential

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1819
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
you ain't wrong, unluckily I don't own that much money, but I know what's a sponsorship and I had some of the best equipments under my feet, they just weren't fit for my style and well, then you start to doubt your skills and so on.
I don't know, I just think that often the solution is easier than what people might think and usually coaches and players too try to look for deeper reasons before blaming their equipments, because when you start to doubt them, you don't trust em hence you can't play up to your potential
When Djokovic changed racket to Head, the racket didn't initially work for him. But he managed to sort out a spec that worked for him within about 3 months. The top players rackets are highly tailored for their needs. If Nadal played with Federer's racket he wouldn't be as good, you find the racket that is good for you.

It's clear Caro must have at least some issues with the racket, we keep hearing of her big tension changes (at this level 10 pounds is a lot). Even at club level, players will play better with certain rackets than others. But unlike Caro they don't probably have the resources to test lots of rackets at lots of different tensions to find what works best for them. The fact that Caro seemingly can't find the right balance in her racket over 2 years later is worrying.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1820
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
She just should have said, "you provide me with a racquet that's 100% to my liking, and if you can I'll sign." Seem pretty dumb to me to sign up with Yonex without knowing what she's getting herself into."
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1821
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
She just should have said, "you provide me with a racquet that's 100% to my liking, and if you can I'll sign." Seem pretty dumb to me to sign up with Yonex without knowing what she's getting herself into."
Yonex offered Caro much more money than Babolat and given her confidence and level of play at that time it probably didn't seem like a big deal to her what sort of racquet she used. Hence her "frying pan" comment about switching racquets.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Apr 7th, 2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: corrected spelling/typo
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1822
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Yonex offered Caro much more money that Babolot and given her confidence and level of play at that time it probably didn't seem like a big deal to her what sort of racquet she used. Hence her "frying pan" comment about switching racquets.
One of those "if I knew then what I know now" moments I guess.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1823
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Yonex offered Caro much more money that Babolot and given her confidence and level of play at that time it probably didn't seem like a big deal to her what sort of racquet she used. Hence her "frying pan" comment about switching racquets.
And I guess this would be part of the problem. It would take a lot of money to buy out of the contract. Ordinarily when you do this it isn't a problem because you have another company that are willing to offer you the same contract or better (eg. McIlroy with Nike). But Caro's stock has fallen so far since this contract was signed that no-one is going to offer a deal on anywhere near similar terms, so she would probably have to at least part fund it herself.

You would think Yonex would be willing to work with Caroline to make it work though, Caro's slump right now isn't suiting both parties, especially when Caroline is Yonex' brand player.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1824
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way she dropped for 2 years because of the racket change. You would have to be retarded to wreck your career intentionally. Players change rackets all the time.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1825
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Top 8 is not a big deal if Caroline keeps losing to Pervak, Muguruza, Voegele.
Whats a big deal is doing what players like Radwanska do, get thru the noncontenders.
She has to be able to do that. Beating players like Maria & Serena is very difficult, but sometimes you dont have to play either, like Vika at the AO. Like Radwanska's half at Wimbledon.
But you have to get past players who you know are not winning the tournament, especially on your best surfaces.
Caroline hasnt gotten to a contender in 6 of 9 tournaments.
Caro is unlikely to be in the top 8 if she stays as inconsistent as she's been.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1826
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
They probibly did... But what you want is sometimes not what you need, or, you can misinterpret what it is in the old kit that works...
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1827
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

The racquet is probably a part of it but keep in mind that her results didn't tail off right away. She made the semis in Melbourne, won Dubai, final in Doha, won Indian Wells, won Charleston and made the final in Stuttgart. The only "bad" results during that stretch were Sydney and Miami. Maybe some of that was due to the aura of being number one and players feeling like they just couldn't beat her but the racquet change didn't seem to hamper her at all for the first four months of 2011.

Maybe when her confidence started to dip a bit with the early exits at Roland Garros and Wimbledon the switch caught up with her?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1828
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

She was jaded pre Miami and then did that crazy OT training pre FO...
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1829
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
They probibly did... But what you want is sometimes not what you need, or, you can misinterpret what it is in the old kit that works...
This is a parting question cuz I'm taking off and,if you have a chance to reply,I'll read your response tonight.

Isn't Yonex a bit less prestigious than some other racket companies??I ask that in ignorance but also b/c it seems to me that,if you're a #1,like Caro was,who's playing well and think about switching rackets(and have the clout to demand a custom design),shouldn't you go with a company that has an extensive track record of satisfying even hard-to-please clients??I'll admit that I'm going by cross-chat from here at TF,but I recall that a lot of folks had a 'WTF!' reaction when Caroline went with Yonex

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1830
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Consistency is definately #1 priority. Thats mental toughness. Caro did it at IW & Dubai, and at IW, she got a break when Vika withdrew and made the final.
Those breaks happen for players who get thru the draws.
Its not about strategic or technique changes. She played well enough to be up 3-1 in the 3rd vs Voegele. On her serve she was one point from 4-2.
She has to fight for these matches. She knows how to beat Voegele. Jankovic won the last 6 games in her semi.

Its the inconsistency and mentally weak play. I figured part of that was burnout, part maybe dating Rory. But now its past that. She should be playing every big tournament like Dubai & IW, and when the draw opens, like Charleston, she has to be the player taking advantage of it.
She isnt out of the YEC because Vika & Serena are beating her nonstop. Thats Radwanska's problem & Sharapova's problem.
Caro's problem is Pervak, Muguruza, Voegele, its a problem in Caro's head.
Caro's technique is more important now than in the past given her lower confidence. More technically sound shots are a lot less likely to break down under pressure or when feeling nerves.
Closed Thread