Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 107 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:29 AM   #1591
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
Maybe Caroline is content to stay at this level for the rest of her career? I mean sure she isn't making slam finals like she used to but she is still atleast a top 10 player making good money. She was number one in the world, has 19 titles to her name. It's a good life.I'm confident that she has one more peak form inside her before she retires.
Slam finals, eh? There's been just one alas (2009 US Open) and 20 singles titles.

I would find such a lack of ambition pretty dissapointing. Her bffs Aga and Vika (well former now in Vika's case) were stuck in the bottom half of the top 10 but were they were content to stay there? No, they worked hard and improved their games a lot and with that their results have improved a bunch particularly Vika's.

I didn't think Caro could do quite as well results-wise as she did in her previous best period of results where she made it to at least the semis of 8 premier 5 or greater tournaments in a row but I did think that she could improve her game some from that level. Now though I wonder if she's a better player than she was back in 2009. So much for progress or improvement. Sigh.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)

Last edited by Protoss : Apr 2nd, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:37 AM   #1592
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Nope nothing changed with Rory, she always builds form. She traditionaly carries some over but starts slow to an early AO peak.

The calander is more of an issue for her, and an HC alternate to all the clay and grass would suit her well.

The stick has killed her feel and snap, and there are more BB's on tour.

----------

It's nice to see you all postulate, and yet the unescapable reality of the stick switch and her game still screams large. Can we please bury the ridiculous ghost of TJ48 forever?
Caroline was a very good player who is going to be under rated historically.
The end of 2010 she won 4 of 6 tournaments, and a YEC final. The only non-final was losing a SF to Vera in NY.
Then after Sydney, again she was in a slam SF with Li, then again 5 finals in 6 tournaments -Dubai, IW, Charleston wins, Doha, Stuttgart finals. Only early loss was Petkovic in Miami.
But because of the semifinal slam losses, and the huge fall after she met Rory, people think she just played a lot at a time when Serena was injured and Maria, Vika had yet to improve.

This is a lot more than a racket. Her level is nowhere near late 2010-early 2011.
Her consistency and mental toughness is gone. But her overall level is much lower. She's much more beatable, starts matches much slower.

Ofcourse, the big thing the last 2 years is that her Januarys are worse than how she ended the year before.
You cannot take backwards steps in this sport unless it leads to two forward steps.

Is she trying as hard? Its mostly her mental game. Dedication, focus, the WANT. You have to really, really work for it at this level.
But its also coaching. Practice sessions, pre-match warmup.

This big a fall, while she's healthy. This is how she's known. Whats happened since Brussels 2011 has made her into a perceived 'lightweight' that even casual tennis fans diminish.

I believe she really has to think hard on what she's doing and how she's doing it.
Its too important to just think its a racket or some technique modification for stroke improvement. Its everything and her results are a big part of her public personna.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:10 AM   #1593
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
she didn't get bitchsmaked. Anyway green clay is a nice warm-up, I don't have problem with Caroline plying her considering she has a good record. Anything that will give her confidence is a good thing.
Yeah,I embellished a little too much b/c I was a little pissed about all the crap that was getting poured on Caroline here...sorry about that.

Still haven't heard the exact quote on what Caroline said at All-access that was supposedly so terrible....Seeing her loved one gave her extra motivation to play a tourney that she probably would've played anyway...for shame,huh?

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1594
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I know the obvious example of someone improving on clay is Maria Sharapova, which is of course true, she has worked very hard to get her clay game to where it is today. But lets be honest she still isn't an outstanding clay court player, she has her success on it because none of the top players actually excel on clay. The competition on clay is weaker.
Well, she's not a Chris Evert or Justine Henin, but in todays field she IS an outstanding clay court player. Her transformation from 'cow on ice' to FO champion only goes to show what can happen if you really, really want it badly enough. It should be an inspiration to Caroline.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1595
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
The thing is that Caro can get a full week of practice before Stuttgart and see Rory. My guess if she didn't see Rory is that she'd be thinking I could have watched him and practiced. Best bet is to watch Rory and then get that off her mind and then focus 100% on practice on the dirt when she gets to Europe. She's got a full week before Stuttgard after the Masters.
Perhaps even more than a week if he continues to struggle and doesn't make the cut.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1596
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
To me, her offseason is problem #1. That started since Rory.
Lets see how this clay season goes. there is a chance she is trying as hard as she can, but Pervak and Muguruza can be too good for her.
Its possible her level has dropped no matter how hard she tries. If thats true, she desperately needs a fulltime coach
Well, I don't doubt for a minute that Caroline IS working very hard. I mean, not perving (not this time anyway )but just look at that body! That's the body of a girl in the best physical shape she can possibly be in. So for me the question is not if she's working hard enough but rather if she is training in the right way for someone with her specific strenghts and weaknesses. It's hard to answer that for an outsider, but perhaps she should just spend an hour a day, or every two days less on her fitness and one hour more on just hitting tennis balls and technique. She's after all not a marathon runner but a tennis player. But I have of course no knowledge of her training schedule or routines, so I'm just guessing and thinking out loud without having a clue.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1597
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I would find such a lack of ambition pretty dissapointing. Her bffs Aga and Vika (well former now in Vika's case)
I know that Aga and Vika have issues, but I didn't know that Caro and Vika don't get along anymore either.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1598
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I know that Aga and Vika have issues, but I didn't know that Caro and Vika don't get along anymore either.
It seems pretty clear to me that for whatever reason/s, Caro and Vika are a lot less close than they were, that's all.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1599
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
It seems pretty clear to me that for whatever reason/s, Caro and Vika are a lot less close than they were, that's all.
Ok. I was just wondering if there had been a specific incident I didn't know about.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1600
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, I don't doubt for a minute that Caroline IS working very hard. I mean, not perving (not this time anyway )but just look at that body! That's the body of a girl in the best physical shape she can possibly be in. So for me the question is not if she's working hard enough but rather if she is training in the right way for someone with her specific strenghts and weaknesses. It's hard to answer that for an outsider, but perhaps she should just spend an hour a day, or every two days less on her fitness and one hour more on just hitting tennis balls and technique. She's after all not a marathon runner but a tennis player. But I have of course no knowledge of her training schedule or routines, so I'm just guessing and thinking out loud without having a clue.
I agree. I don't have the specific quote (I think it is from the Justin Gimelstob interview) but when she was asked about what she worked on in the offseason she said primarily her fitness. She also said that all the players know all the shots so she is more concerned with being as fit as possible (those are not direct quotes but that is basically what she said). If you watch her try to hit overhead smashes, volleys, slices, even what is arguably the most basic shot in the game (serve) it is very clear that those are all areas that she could very much improve on. It is great that she is extremely fit and in the past her firness has given her an important edge over some opponents but it is also obvious that her game is not improving and she can no longer compensate by being the fittest, or among the fittest, player on the tour. I think that the best thing she could do is skip Charleston and work on her game as much as possible. I would like to see her do the same thing after Wimbledon/before the U.S. summer hardcourt season. I think that she would be much better off playing fewer tournaments (maybe sixteen to eighteen rather than twenty-one to twenty-three) and using that time to improve her game. She once mentioned that there isn't much time to work on her game during the season but she sets her schedule. If she put more emphasis on improving her game and played fewer tournaments I think she would come out ahead. Fewer tournaments mean less chances to go deep but I think she would go deeper more often if she improved her game.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1601
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But there wasn't exactly much of an AO peak this year was there?
She traditionally doesn't play well pre AO on the Australian swing and still finds some form at the AO.

Quote:
I also find it hard to believe all her problems are down to the racket. Even if they were, it would be just as worrying that she hasn't been able to fix racket issues in over 2 years.
I don't claim all her issues lie there, however, dropping so much tension to regain the venom she used to have strongly suggests there is an issue finding the right balance. What she had before the switch was instictive feel on her BH wich allowed for a lot more reliable penetration when needed. Now she tends to be less reliable when having to put the pressure on, and we had a long period without her signiture BHDTL. The FH had more mix in weight and spin too.

Again, it's not the only issue, because she had a few timming issues creeping in just before the switch, but you can't just dismiss it. Hopefully she will find the balance and build some reliability on her BH again. USO10 vs Maria is a good match to illustrate Caro putting on more pressure than is normally required, and to illustrate the relative reliability of her shots back then.

Quote:
I don't understand your point about the calendar?
Surface switches don't help her find her form and rytham. An extended run on the same surface would help her imho, as did less extreams in opponent types.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1602
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I agree. I don't have the specific quote (I think it is from the Justin Gimelstob interview) but when she was asked about what she worked on in the offseason she said primarily her fitness. She also said that all the players know all the shots so she is more concerned with being as fit as possible (those are not direct quotes but that is basically what she said). If you watch her try to hit overhead smashes, volleys, slices, even what is arguably the most basic shot in the game (serve) it is very clear that those are all areas that she could very much improve on. It is great that she is extremely fit and in the past her firness has given her an important edge over some opponents but it is also obvious that her game is not improving and she can no longer compensate by being the fittest, or among the fittest, player on the tour. I think that the best thing she could do is skip Charleston and work on her game as much as possible. I would like to see her do the same thing after Wimbledon/before the U.S. summer hardcourt season. I think that she would be much better off playing fewer tournaments (maybe sixteen to eighteen rather than twenty-one to twenty-three) and using that time to improve her game. She once mentioned that there isn't much time to work on her game during the season but she sets her schedule. If she put more emphasis on improving her game and played fewer tournaments I think she would come out ahead. Fewer tournaments mean less chances to go deep but I think she would go deeper more often if she improved her game.
I think the key to this though would be can you really rely on her doing that if she skipped all those tournaments instead. A look at how she comes out after off-seasons would suggest no. There is also the issue that Caroline really cannot afford a 16 tournament schedule right now (in terms of qualifying for Istanbul). So while this is good talk, there would have to be a big change for this to be a viable plan (but I guess that is your entire point ).

I definitely agree that I found the idea that the main she's working on is fitness is very strange. When in recent memory has she really lost a match due to a lack of fitness? Its become as clear as day to me this year that the biggest thing that needs working on is her consistency from the back of the court. If she's going to be a contender again she simply cannot afford to be gifting so many points away as errors.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1603
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
I don't claim all her issues lie there, however, dropping so much tension to regain the venom she used to have strongly suggests there is an issue finding the right balance. What she had before the switch was instictive feel on her BH wich allowed for a lot more reliable penetration when needed. Now she tends to be less reliable when having to put the pressure on, and we had a long period without her signiture BHDTL. The FH had more mix in weight and spin too.

Again, it's not the only issue, because she had a few timming issues creeping in just before the switch, but you can't just dismiss it. Hopefully she will find the balance and build some reliability on her BH again. USO10 vs Maria is a good match to illustrate Caro putting on more pressure than is normally required, and to illustrate the relative reliability of her shots back then.

Surface switches don't help her find her form and rytham. An extended run on the same surface would help her imho, as did less extreams in opponent types.
I don't doubt she's having trouble finding the right balance (if the stories about her dropping so much tension are true), but I do find it kind of worrying that in over 2 years she hasn't found that right balance. You would hope she would have been able to find that balance by now.

It may not help her find her form and rhythm, but there is not a lot she can do about it is there. The calendar is what it is. Besides she's had around 8 months on hard courts, and still hasn't found her consistency or top form.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1604
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I question everything she's working on. And Caroline should also.
If she's fit, why couldnt she continue her IW success in Miami? Sharapova was able to.

Starting slow pre-AO? Caroline's January was a loss to Pervak then 2 losses to Sveta. Thats unacceptable for a former #1 who was in 3 finals in her last 5 events in 2012.

She's way below the top group now, and very inconsistent. And if she thinks she can blow off january, which has one of the 2 hardcourt majors, then she's on cruise control and finished as a slam contender

I dont know what she's thinking, but she should be very concerned, because no one considers her a slam contender or an upcoming young player
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1605
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I think the key to this though would be can you really rely on her doing that if she skipped all those tournaments instead. A look at how she comes out after off-seasons would suggest no. There is also the issue that Caroline really cannot afford a 16 tournament schedule right now (in terms of qualifying for Istanbul). So while this is good talk, there would have to be a big change for this to be a viable plan (but I guess that is your entire point ).
Well, 16 is probably a bit too much (or too little) to expect, but 18 seems like a realistic number to me. Of course that would make it harder to qualify for the YEC, but if her level goes up she won't have to play 22 tournaments a year to have a chance of qualifying anyway.

I take note of burisleif's point about the racquet, but I find it hard to believe that they can't develop one according to Caroline's specific needs and wishes. If you go to the store to buy a, say, Roger Federer racquet you won't get the exact same version that Roger plays with either because if he wants, say, more weight at the top they will of course do that for him. I'm sure that this goes for every player, let alone elite players. It's just racquet science, not rocket science. How hard can it be to make a racquet that's exactly how Caroline wants it to be?
Closed Thread