Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 106 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #1576
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,670
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The really great players want it so badly.
You cant force someone who just doesnt have that in them.
Sharapova couldnt even raise her arm up. Changed her service motion just to be able to play at all. But also worked on her movement and fitness. Kept working, even though she doesnt need to win anymore.

Caroline just doesnt want it at that level. There's very few players who have the physical talent but also want success and want it and want it.

So we have to accept that Caroline is satisfied being a top 10 maybe top 20 player.

You would think that as a defensive player, improving on red clay would be one of her greatest goals. Sharapova is offensive style, but really wanted to improve on clay.
But its mental. She has to want that so much, that watching golf isnt even an option
But this is just wild speculation that she doesn't want to improve and doesn't work or practice. Do you know the whereabouts now of all the top 10 players right now? Are they all in Europe practicing to get better on red clay now for a tournament 3 weeks away? If not - perhaps we should say they don't want to improve enough. Taking it to an extreme - what about the fact that the only slam Serena hasn't won since 2002 is RG. So do we conclude if she's not practicing weeks before Stuttgard that the reason would be she doesn't want it?

The fact is that Caro can watch Rory and get another tournament in (Charleston) and still have a full week practice on red clay before Stuttgart. Say she just goes over to Europe for three weeks in a mindset of 2 bad losses and not seeing Rory and just grinding away practicing on red clay? Is that really best preparation?with 5 weeks and just two terrible matches on her original schedule.

She has a chance now at Charleston to really put her mind to it and play well there. If she plays bad there and loses early - I will be miserable and bitterly disappointed. And that won't do her any good. But if she does well there - that will do a lot of good mentally for her which you have a big thing about.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Apr 2nd, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #1577
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I don't mind her playing Charleston for the reason that Caroline hasn't made good use of a training block in a long time anyway, and she may need the points come the end of the season. She'd be at The Masters next week anyway, so she might as well play here I guess.

I don't think there is much else to be gained from it though, unless she beats Serena Williams in the final (which is of course unlikely). It is a non-event as preparation for Roland Garros.

One thing I wanted to bring up. By going to The Masters Rory and Caro do open themselves up to potential criticism. There is varying levels of criticism of Rory among golf analysts/experts in the UK that he is spending too much time with Caro on tennis courts, and not enough time on his golfing game. If Rory does bomb at The Masters with Caro in attendance, it's going to make them a magnet for all sorts of criticism with the world media in attendance.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1578
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,670
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I don't mind her playing Charleston for the reason that Caroline hasn't made good use of a training block in a long time anyway, and she may need the points come the end of the season. She'd be at The Masters next week anyway, so she might as well play here I guess.

I don't think there is much else to be gained from it though, unless she beats Serena Williams in the final (which is of course unlikely). It is a non-event as preparation for Roland Garros.

One thing I wanted to bring up. By going to The Masters Rory and Caro do open themselves up to potential criticism. There is varying levels of criticism of Rory among golf analysts/experts in the UK that he is spending too much time with Caro on tennis courts, and not enough time on his golfing game. If Rory does bomb at The Masters with Caro in attendance, it's going to make them a magnet for all sorts of criticism with the world media in attendance.
That comes with the territory though. If Rory bombs out early and Caro is not there - maybe the media ask why wasn't Caro there and is there a rift in their love life. It works both ways.

The thing is that Caro can get a full week of practice before Stuttgart and see Rory. My guess if she didn't see Rory is that she'd be thinking I could have watched him and practiced. Best bet is to watch Rory and then get that off her mind and then focus 100% on practice on the dirt when she gets to Europe. She's got a full week before Stuttgard after the Masters.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1579
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
But this is just wild speculation that she doesn't want to improve and doesn't work or practice. Do you know the whereabouts now of all the top 10 players right now? Are they all in Europe practicing to get better on red clay now for a tournament 3 weeks away? If not - perhaps we should say they don't want to improve enough. Taking it to an extreme - what about the fact that the only slam Serena hasn't won since 2002 is RG. So do we conclude if she's not practicing weeks before Stuttgard that the reason would be she doesn't want it?

The fact is that she can watch Rory and get another tournament in (Charleston) and still have a full week practice on red clay before Stuttgart. Say she just goes ober to Europe for three weeks in a mindset of 2 bad losses and not seeing Rory and just grinding away practicing on red clay? Is that really best preparation?otherwise she goes 5 weeks and all she's had is two terrible matchesMiami started tweeks ago. So that makes two very poor matches in 5 weeks on her original schedule.

She has a chance now at Charleston to really put her mind to it and play well there. If she plays bad there and loses early - I will be miserable and bitterly disappointed. But that will be based on her play - not wild speculating.
There's degrees of truth in some of this, but the Serena example is a poor one. Serena is an example of someone who has massively underachieved on red clay throughout her career. She should have won Roland Garros more than once. There has to be a degree of link to the fact that she has rarely taken clay seriously in the warm ups, despite the fact it is obviously her most challenging surface. The fact Serena hasn't won any red clay title in 11 years is pointing to the idea she hasn't prepared or performed to anywhere near the level she should have on the surface. And this is Serena Williams who can get away with a lack of preparation more than others, she's one of the best players ever.

I find the mindset idea also a tough sell, the problem is anytime Caro in the past 2 years has had a big win that she should gain confidence from, she has failed to build on it. The most recent example is she makes the final of Indian Wells, and then follows that up with what even though we didn't see them, 2 average performances at best.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #1580
country flag goldenlox
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 84,613
goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post



She has a chance now at Charleston to really put her mind to it and play well there. If she plays bad there and loses early - I will be miserable and bitterly disappointed. And that won't do her any good. But if she does well there - that will do a lot of good mentally for her which you have a big thing about.
A good result here will certainly help. Ultimately, what she does in the big clay events in Europe are what matter most.
She's the#2 seed, so lets hope she plays like a top seed
__________________
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1581
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
That comes with the territory though. If Rory bombs out early and Caro is not there - maybe the media ask why wasn't Caro there and is there a rift in their love life. It works both ways.

The thing is that Caro can get a full week of practice before Stuttgart and see Rory. My guess if she didn't see Rory is that she'd be thinking I could have watched him and practiced. Best bet is to watch Rory and then get that off her mind and then focus 100% on practice on the dirt when she gets to Europe. She's got a full week before Stuttgard after the Masters.
You make it sound like a full week is a long time. She's not Rafael Nadal, she hasn't grown up on clay. I imagine it will take her a lot longer than a weeks practice to reach her best level on the surface.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1582
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,670
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
There's degrees of truth in some of this, but the Serena example is a poor one. Serena is an example of someone who has massively underachieved on red clay throughout her career. She should have won Roland Garros more than once. There has to be a degree of link to the fact that she has rarely taken clay seriously in the warm ups, despite the fact it is obviously her most challenging surface. The fact Serena hasn't won any red clay title in 11 years is pointing to the idea she hasn't prepared or performed to anywhere near the level she should have on the surface. And this is Serena Williams who can get away with a lack of preparation more than others, she's one of the best players ever.
Well you are saying exactly what I was giving in my extreme analogy which makes it a good one. The claim was Caro doesn't do well on clay because she doesn't work hard enough for it - she's not over there practicing but watching Rory etc. I stated as an extreme example that you might as well say Serena didn't work hard enough and want RG enough. Those arguments you made would support such a claim and make my point a good analogy.

Of course there's a huge difference in the level they are at. But the analogy of not wanting it eough could be made for the same reason. I think in both cases it's just speculation.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1583
country flag terjw
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,670
terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
You make it sound like a full week is a long time. She's not Rafael Nadal, she hasn't grown up on clay. I imagine it will take her a lot longer than a weeks practice to reach her best level on the surface.
Has she ever done better in her career with 3 weeks solid practice and no matches - or the off-season and no matches than with one week's practice.
__________________
Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1584
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Well you are saying exactly what I was giving in my extreme analogy which makes it a good one. The claim was Caro doesn't do well on clay because she doesn't work hard enough for it - she's not over there practicing but watching Rory etc. I stated as an extreme example that you might as well say Serena didn't work hard enough and want RG enough. Those arguments you made would support such a claim and make my point a good analogy.

Of course there's a huge difference in the level they are at. But the analogy of not wanting it eough could be made for the same reason. I think in both cases it's just speculation.
There is a world of difference though. Serena can afford that attitude. Serena has been the best player consistently year after year on the other surfaces, picking up major after major, she can afford to not have as much focus, desire, however you want to put it on winning the French Open. I imagine even the majority of her die-hard fans would say Serena has often under prepared for the French Open. Caroline clearly could not afford the same attitude.

I don't see how in any way this makes it a good thing?
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1585
country flag goldenlox
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 84,613
goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Has she ever done better in her career with 3 weeks solid practice and no matches - or the off-season and no matches than with one week's practice.
To me, her offseason is problem #1. That started since Rory.
Lets see how this clay season goes. there is a chance she is trying as hard as she can, but Pervak and Muguruza can be too good for her.
Its possible her level has dropped no matter how hard she tries. If thats true, she desperately needs a fulltime coach
__________________
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1586
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Has she ever done better in her career with 3 weeks solid practice and no matches - or the off-season and no matches than with one week's practice.
Last year where I imagine she had a week max to practice on clay after Copenhagen, and she posted her worst results on clay for years, despite coming off a decent Miami before hand. Fact is though she's never really posted consistently strong results throughout the entire clay season, but she also has rarely come into the clay season with the best preparation (she's often been playing events on a different surface 2-3 weeks before). Maybe there is a link there, who knows.

All this is besides the point though, you won't get better on a surface unless you practice/play on it. She's not a naturally gifted clay court player, only way she will get better is through practice. Maria Sharapova the best example of this. I don't see how in any way having 1 weeks preparation for Stuttgart can be seen as a good thing.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:53 AM   #1587
country flag Burisleif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,165
Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
To me, her offseason is problem #1. That started since Rory.
Lets see how this clay season goes. there is a chance she is trying as hard as she can, but Pervak and Muguruza can be too good for her.
Its possible her level has dropped no matter how hard she tries. If thats true, she desperately needs a fulltime coach
Nope nothing changed with Rory, she always builds form. She traditionaly carries some over but starts slow to an early AO peak.

The calander is more of an issue for her, and an HC alternate to all the clay and grass would suit her well.

The stick has killed her feel and snap, and there are more BB's on tour.

----------

It's nice to see you all postulate, and yet the unescapable reality of the stick switch and her game still screams large. Can we please bury the ridiculous ghost of TJ48 forever?
__________________
"In time we hate that which we often fear." WS
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” Plato
Burisleif is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1588
country flag ozza
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,389
ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Nope nothing changed with Rory, she always builds form. She traditionaly carries some over but starts slow to an early AO peak.

The calander is more of an issue for her, and an HC alternate to all the clay and grass would suit her well.

The stick has killed her feel and snap, and there are more BB's on tour.
But there wasn't exactly much of an AO peak this year was there?

I also find it hard to believe all her problems are down to the racket. Even if they were, it would be just as worrying that she hasn't been able to fix racket issues in over 2 years.

I don't understand your point about the calendar?
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:23 AM   #1589
country flag overrule
Senior Member
 
overrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 339
overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I think playing Charleston is a good move. It's a nice little tournament and good transition to the red clay in Europe. Caroline needs to play her way back into form. Also, I will be there, so I'm a little biased.
overrule is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1590
country flag Trey
Senior Member
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,229
Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I just Hoping she will come too term and put in the work too improve her game big time, I think Caro need too look at a player like Andy Murray & look how he has Improve so much over the years, Hopefully she will
__________________
Serena Williams (XVII) | Venus Williams (VII) | Vika Azarenka (II) | Kvitová (II) | Li Na (II) | Ivanovic (I)

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios