Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 100 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1486
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
I'd still like to go back to green vs. red clay in the U.S. and find out,from anyone who knows,why the pinche gringos simply can't bring in and install a thicker,safer layer of red clay that doesn't yield as many injuries.Unless I'm mistaken,the Germans installed red clay indoors at Stuttgart,so I don't see why they couldn't do the same in the U.S.
It's probably as simple as they don't want to. It's worth noting not to long ago ATP Houston used to be on green clay and recently changed to red clay. Green clay is pretty much an existing surface from when the tour was US dominated. I imagine sooner or later Charleston will reach a point where they will either fold as a tournament or have to change their surface to red clay. It just has a horrendous spot on the calendar, I mean who is going to want to play on green clay, a surface that only this event is played on, on the back of a long month in Indian Wells and Miami, and then leads to nothing. The candidates is basically Americans or people who are desperate for form/points. I would imagine Charleston has some decision making to do after the Williams' retire.

Stuttgart installed red clay for the same reason, it gives them the best chance of attracting top players.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1487
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's probably as simple as they don't want to. It's worth noting not to long ago ATP Houston used to be on green clay and recently changed to red clay. Green clay is pretty much an existing surface from when the tour was US dominated. I imagine sooner or later Charleston will reach a point where they will either fold as a tournament or have to change their surface to red clay. It just has a horrendous spot on the calendar, I mean who is going to want to play on green clay, a surface that only this event is played on, on the back of a long month in Indian Wells and Miami, and then leads to nothing. The candidates is basically Americans or people who are desperate for form/points. I would imagine Charleston has some decision making to do after the Williams' retire.

Stuttgart installed red clay for the same reason, it gives them the best chance of attracting top players.
When you post 'don't want to',do you mean apathy??That would be par for the course for a culture/country that is utterly collapsing and will be almost irrelevant,in terms of world power,50 years from now.Well,I'm certainly not gonna wish injury even on one of Caro's 'enemies'(i.e.,a player who's been hostile towards her,for lack of a better term to use).

However,I'd LOVE to see one of the Americans' top ATPers(whoever the fuck that might be)get an achilles tendon tear on the green clay...and then loudly blame the Charleston surface afterwards...now THAT would be justice

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1488
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Well historically Charleston is a green clay event, historically American clay is green clay (and not red clay), of course this doesn't actually help the American players.

There is no ATP event on green clay anymore, therefore your situation won't be happening.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1489
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro has become an inconsistent player and can no longer produce good tennis on a fairly regular basis. She and her team need to figure out why she can hit good shots some days but a lot of other days her shots suck.
I wonder if she thought the Kerber match meant she's back.
Because that final against Sharapova, with Nadal playing the next match, that would have made a statement that she's back, just being close.
But she was blown out, then 2 bad matches in Miami.
So I dont know where she's at mentally, but I'm sure her opponents arent afraid to take a shot at her
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1490
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I wonder if she thought the Kerber match meant she's back.
Because that final against Sharapova, with Nadal playing the next match, that would have made a statement that she's back, just being close.
But she was blown out, then 2 bad matches in Miami.
So I don't know where she's at mentally, but I'm sure her opponents aren't afraid to take a shot at her
I tend to think the other way. That she can't convince herself she's back. If you think you are back to your best, you will come out with confidence. Yet Caro never comes out with confidence in the big matches anymore.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1491
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know where her confidence is at, but her game doesnt give the impression that its going the right way.
Caro & her team did a lot of strange things the last 2 years.
So even if she commits to the style that gave her success in the past, maybe she just cant play it the way she used to.
Caro used to win a lot of matches. She would win 24 of 27 matches, those kinds of runs,. Almost never lost early rounds.
She's a different player now. Miami was the biggest hardcourt tournament until the USO. Now there's no hardcourt for months. Just like Sharapova, you would expect Caroline to try to keep her IW roll going. But she cant do it consistently anymore

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1492
country flag Vaidisova

Vaidisova has disabled reputation

Glad Caro will be back in action next week
Vaidisova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1493
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Sara Errani just WD from Family Circle Cup

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1494
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Sara Errani just WD from Family Circle Cup
If Serena withdraws, maybe it wont be that tough.
Ah, who are we kidding? Caro just had a real fight with Pliskova & Muguruza. Everyone's tough now

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1495
country flag ozza

Quote:
If Serena withdraws, maybe it wont be that tough.
Ah, who are we kidding? Caro just had a real fight with Pliskova & Muguruza. Everyone's tough now
A post with emotion from goldenlox .

Even if Serena doesn't withdraw it's a good chance of the final anyway (Caro will be #2 seed). It's a reasonable but unspectacular field full of players Caro needs to be beating really. Whether she will, we'll have to wait and see, but least the matches will be streamed so we will see what is going on.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #1496
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well historically Charleston is a green clay event, historically American clay is green clay (and not red clay), of course this doesn't actually help the American players.

There is no ATP event on green clay anymore, therefore your situation won't be happening.
Apathy is almost endemic to that culture now;if they can sit around while scratching their asses and ignore the extreme risk of having antiquated levees in New Orleans...which ended up causing tons of casualties,then who cares if a couple tennis players get injured,huh?If it weren't for the vitally-needed confidence boost,I wouldn't mind if Caro sat this one out

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1497
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
I tend to think the other way. That she can't convince herself she's back. If you think you are back to your best, you will come out with confidence. Yet Caro never comes out with confidence in the big matches anymore.
Respectfully acknowledging that we can't read Caroline's mind,I think that your theory is more plausible than complacency is

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #1498
country flag goldenlox

Caro's lost the first set in her last 4 matches. In 2011 she won every set in Dubai. Every set until the final in Doha. Lost 1 first set at IW.
She beat Sharapova and Bartoli 61 in the first set in 2011 IW SF & F.

Thats one thing that really changed, how she comes out slowly and loses the 1st set. Happens way too often and puts her opponents in position to relax set 2 and go on in set 3 to win the match.

I dont know why she starts so slowly, but forget winning streaks when you're always down a set. And even with the fortuitous w/o at IW, Caro has lost 4 of her last 9 matches. Almost half. Pretty much what she's doing at majors, losing 5 of her last 10 matches, without any finals, or anything close to a final.

She needs to be ready from the start and try hard to win that first set

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #1499
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Caro's lost the first set in her last 4 matches. In 2011 she won every set in Dubai. Every set until the final in Doha. Lost 1 first set at IW.
She beat Sharapova and Bartoli 61 in the first set in 2011 IW SF & F.

Thats one thing that really changed, how she comes out slowly and loses the 1st set. Happens way too often and puts her opponents in position to relax set 2 and go on in set 3 to win the match.

I dont know why she starts so slowly, but forget winning streaks when you're always down a set. And even with the fortuitous w/o at IW, Caro has lost 4 of her last 9 matches. Almost half. Pretty much what she's doing at majors, losing 5 of her last 10 matches, without any finals, or anything close to a final.

She needs to be ready from the start and try hard to win that first set
Though I can't get inside Caro's mind and say how ready she is,let's say,hypothetically,that she were TOTALLY ready,mentally.How much difference would that really make nowadays??Chrissie-fan has already pointed out the technical errors that lead to errors,and even some younger players don't seem to fear Caro at all anymore.They just come out confidently sometimes and swing away w/o fear,and Caroline's now-weaker defensive skills don't give her as many chances to counterpunch as before.

I understand why you suspect readiness as a problem with those slow starts you mentioned but,again,what would she do differently if she WERE fully ready??Am not sure what she CAN do at this stage unless she gets some clear,fresh perspectives on how to improve

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1500
country flag goldenlox

I think if Caro could do better, she would. No one wants to go from #1 in the world to losing early rounds on outside courts.
But however she prepares for matches, it should be studied by her team. 4 matches in a row she lost the 1st set.
At majors losing set 1 is much too frequent in these early round losses.
But I assume she's working hard. Her whole team has to work smarter, if they can

Closed Thread