Rape and how societies react - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #76
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
typical kneejerk reaction that doesn't help anyone, certainly not the women that get abused, raped and killed every day.

i must admit i'm always very wary when - almost out of the blue - a story that gets repeated probably every week becomes worldwide news. people who usually don't give a fuck act all enraged and shocked.

but i do hope this changes a certain attitude in indian society.
they killed a woman in the worst way possible. not sure what happened to her male companion. if this doesn't merit the death penalty, then what does? do you think showing these monsters leniency helps abused women?

fyi- i also posted my heartbreak about the 11 young afghan girls who were killed by the taliban when they were going about their daily lives. a story barely repeated. so spare me your judgement on what i give a fuck about.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #77
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild.river View Post
they killed a woman in the worst way possible. not sure what happened to her male companion. if this doesn't merit the death penalty, then what does? do you think showing these monsters leniency helps abused women?

fyi- i also posted my heartbreak about the 11 young afghan girls who were killed by the taliban when they were going about their daily lives. a story barely repeated. so spare me your judgement on what i give a fuck about.
agreed and they are going to get the death penalty......anything less is not going to be accepted by the public anyway......

also we have to note that it is not just a rape case now but also murder charges now as the girl is dead......so there is no escape now from death......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #78
country flag Ashi

Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute

The prosecution have murder, rape, robbery and assault charges on the deceased and her male friend respectively.

The brutality of this case can be classified as a rarest of rare case and hence death penalty can be sought.

They accused can re appeal for a lighter sentence in the supreme court if convicted. Are they also eligible for presidential pardon?

The Government will save face and not let this happen.

Hopefully the wheels of justice will run faster for this victim.

Is it only me who is outraged that Ram Jethmalani is expressing solidarity in the media. The levels of hypocrisy in this country. He can defend a man who shot a woman in cold blood yet express sorrow at the death of this girl. It's like showing the middle finger to civilised society.
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil
Dinara Safina & Sania Mirza
Ashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #79
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

They should hang those rapists/monsters by their testicles.

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Safin*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #80
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentenaire View Post
It seems it's this cultural fit that all those women are protesting against. You seem to fit the old school view that a decent women doesn't leave the house at night. So when a woman does go out, she's considered loose and men are given free range to call her a whore. It's the same argument as saying that women wearing revealing clothes are asking to be raped.

From the articles Ashi posted and articles and viewpoints I read elsewhere, I see women who're protesting to claim their place in society, in the city, women who're determined to no longer be afraid, who're sick of fear taking over their lives, who're sick of fear preventing them from going where they want to go. The mentality that apparently good girls don't go out, good girls are never alone, that's a mentality that must change. It's not because a woman decides to take dance lessons, that's she's a whore. It's not because a woman decides to go to a movie theatre in the evening, that she's a whore.

Your post sounded so much like the comment in the newspaper, laying the blame with the woman instead of the perpetrators. It's that archaic view that has to change. It's that view that exists in some cultures but not in others. It's that view that means India has a longer way to go than some other countries, because there are cultural differences.

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #81
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post

I don't need invitation, this is not an Indian forum....
Join the club. When I posted this past fall in another thread that the Indian subcontinent would be better off had the 1947 partition never occured, "an Indian poster who shall not be named here" said that I shouldn't express an opinion on that, as I'm not from the region. (Said poster may be away, and hasn't posted ITT so far).
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #82
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Join the club. When I posted this past fall in another thread that the Indian subcontinent would be better off had the 1947 partition never occured, "an Indian poster who shall not be named here" said that I shouldn't express an opinion on that, as I'm not from the region. (Said poster may be away, and hasn't posted ITT so far).
Not to brag, but I never see this when the topic is about US.
The shootings, the elections, Tea Party, etc...

American posters rarely attempt to disqualify or undermine a participant in a discussion because s/he is not from the USA.
We may disagree, but never question their motivation as long as the poster lay out a reasonable argument.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #83
country flag Ashi

Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
You are spinning this. You said re-integration was possible & beneficial without giving a sound reasoning for it in today's scenario. IMO such a blanket statement is beyond ludricous.
You need to do your homework before making a statement like that. Guess where the most rape and pillage happened? During partition. Yet, you say so nonchalantly that India & Pakistan can be reintegrated?
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil

Last edited by Ashi : Dec 29th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #84
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Not to brag, but I never see this when the topic is about US.
The shootings, the elections, Tea Party, etc...

American posters rarely attempt to disqualify or undermine a participant in a discussion because s/he is not from the USA.
We may disagree, but never question their motivation as long as the poster lay out a reasonable argument.
Nope. Williamser does. In the gun thread he was shutting down foreign posters with bizarre, childish "America! Fuck yeah!" arguments and saying their countries suck in comparison.

And Start da game, are you a woman? Because you're saying India doesn't need to have serious self-examination contradicts basically everything I've seen from Indian females since this occurred. They are all uniformly pointing towards a system of patriarchy that oppresses women in India.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #85
country flag Ashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Nope. Williamser does. In the gun thread he was shutting down foreign posters with bizarre, childish "America! Fuck yeah!" arguments and saying their countries suck in comparison.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #86
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True.
However, plenty of Americans, including myself, have taken issue with Williamser.
Williamser has also earned a reputation as unreasonable poster, no matter the topic.
He is known to routinely insult and taunt people he disagree with, Americans or non-Americans; but non-Americans in particular.

So, although you are correct, he does not represent your typical American poster.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Dec 29th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #87
country flag Ashi

tennisbum79
You take an usual interest about India? Have you visited our country/travelled/lived here?
I've seen countless threads in Non-Tennis but hardly any positive threads. Hence, I get the defensiveness of Indian posters(who are very few), but I've learnt to meet people halfway.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #88
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
And Start da game, are you a woman? Because you're saying India doesn't need to have serious self-examination contradicts basically everything I've seen from Indian females since this occurred. They are all uniformly pointing towards a system of patriarchy that oppresses women in India.
Start da game is probably not a woman.

He explains everything away via cultural differences.
He did this in the incident of the Indian-Norwegian couple accused of burning/beating their child.
Now he is doing it here as well.
When pushed, he claim he is misunderstood and/or the person challenging him does not understand Indian culture.

Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #89
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post

You are spinning this. You said re-integration was possible & beneficial without giving a sound reasoning for it in today's scenario. IMO such a blanket statement is beyond ludricous.
You need to do your homework before making a statement like that. Guess where the most rape and pillage happened? During partition. Yet, you say so nonchalantly that India & Pakistan can be reintegrated?
The NDTV debate gives all sides, if anyone wants to watch it. I raised it ITT to give another example of what tennisbum said; that issues elsewhere are fair game for Americans, just like crap that happens here is 4U "fur-ners". (And of course to take a whack @ that unnamed poster).

More relevant to this thread, Vikram did a one hour special 8 days ago about the effect this gang rape may have on the laws there: http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the...79?vod-related
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #90
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
tennisbum79
You take an usual interest about India? Have you visited our country/travelled/lived here?
I've seen countless threads in Non-Tennis but hardly any positive threads. Hence, I get the defensiveness of Indian posters(who are very few), but I've learnt to meet people halfway.
No. But by via my work, I have been working with lot of Indians, males and females.
Some from Mombay, but most from Bangalore.

I don't think I created the thread you characterize as hardly any positive. In fact, I did not create this one.
I must say, if you got to youtube, you will see the same type position that Start Da game is taking in this thread.
Some are blaming Hindus.
However to be fair, some Indians are pushing back, arguing Indians are in denial and they had enough.

By my nature, I abhor injustice and unfairness. No matter where it comes from.
Couple of years back, there was mistreatment of Indians in Australia just because they were Indians.
In the forum, I was aguing on the Indian side.

And no, with the Indians I have interacted with at work, I have not seen any interaction that would suggest anything but respect and equality between the genders

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Dec 29th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.