Rape and how societies react - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:53 AM   #136
country flag Start da Game
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: pirru's heart
Posts: 3,500
Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Yes, that is key.
And we in the US have been where India is now.
  1. Authority not taking it seriously and/or not proescuting the perpetrators
  2. Unsympahtetic or indifferent public somehow blaming the victim, insinuating she brought it upon herself
  3. 1 and 2 lead the victim not willing to come forward for fear of being further humiliated and pyschologically violated
Unfortunately it might take few more incident like this for both the public, government officials, law officials to gradually move do their respective parts.
Public keep applying the pressure on goverment and law enforcement official to hold them accountable.
Goverment officials to remove law enforcment officials who don't take the act of rape as a serious crime.

It does not mean all rapes will be eliminated, making it unacceptable by part of the society will make things better.
And that is where the US is now. Of course we still have rapes, but we have mechanism to deal with the perpetrator effectively, giving a sense of security to women and their families, and warning the perpetrator that they will no longer get away with this crime.
your's should be the last country that can boast about "sense of security".......

1. there is that stupid gunlaw of yours......forget about women, even men are not safe in your country......i am laughing my arse off for that alone......nobody is sure whether they will return home without getting bumped off in some downtown......

2. i have already posted the rape statistics which are very high considering how low your population count is compared to india.......even the men are raped in your country.......

3. countless mugging incidents on foreigners in broad daylight......shame really......

4. people on the streets begging for jobs and bread......

we don't live like dogs fucking different women every three months and giving it a name "relationship" or whatever and ending up living alone, leading nomadic lives by mid 30s with no real essence of life......you should be the last one to speak about indian marriages and romance......

we taught the world how to make romance......sex and romance doesn't mean just pulling it out and banging back and forth.......go through the ancient indian scripts and know it yourself what the real purpose of sex is and how a man can be romantic......

"a woman roaming in the night all alone" might suit your lifestyle, not ours.......

just go away and look at your own motherland......don't bother about india......understanding india is beyond your comprehending abilities.......so just stop bullshitting about what measures need to be taken.......like i said, we don't take advises from people who are in far worse condition than us......
__________________
tsvetana pironkova's no.1 lover

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM   #137
country flag Lin Lin
Senior Member
 
Lin Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: A Happy Land
Posts: 26,903
Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

__________________
健健
前前
渊渊
豆豆
雪雪
Lin Lin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM   #138
country flag kwilliams
Senior Member
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,519
kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Tara Moss



- I applaud the protestors in Delhi who are fighting for the rights of women in their city to live without the constant fear of sexual violence. -
This is great to see!

Start the Game, maybe you should take issue with the actual core content of tennisbum's post and not just go on a mad tangent because you take issue with the term "sense of security." Tennisbum was saying that women had a sense of security because sex crimes are properly dealt with...so I don't see why you are bring up gun laws. It's pointless to take things so far out of context. It's not like Tennisbum said there was a lower rate of rape in the US.

Also, implying that there's something wrong with people engaging in casual relationships or being socially and or professionally adrift in their mid 30s was a cheap shot and utterly pointless. Do you have any statistics to back this up or any way to relate these thoughts to Tennisbum's post?

If you don't like what s/he said then argue with the meat of his/her post rather than engaging in pointless mudslinging.
__________________
Venus Williams
Serena Williams




http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM   #139
country flag mykarma
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,813
mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
your's should be the last country that can boast about "sense of security".......

1. there is that stupid gunlaw of yours......forget about women, even men are not safe in your country......i am laughing my arse off for that alone......nobody is sure whether they will return home without getting bumped off in some downtown......

2. i have already posted the rape statistics which are very high considering how low your population count is compared to india.......even the men are raped in your country.......

3. countless mugging incidents on foreigners in broad daylight......shame really......

4. people on the streets begging for jobs and bread......

we don't live like dogs fucking different women every three months and giving it a name "relationship" or whatever and ending up living alone, leading nomadic lives by mid 30s with no real essence of life......you should be the last one to speak about indian marriages and romance......

we taught the world how to make romance......sex and romance doesn't mean just pulling it out and banging back and forth.......go through the ancient indian scripts and know it yourself what the real purpose of sex is and how a man can be romantic......

"a woman roaming in the night all alone" might suit your lifestyle, not ours.......

just go away and look at your own motherland......don't bother about india......understanding india is beyond your comprehending abilities.......so just stop bullshitting about what measures need to be taken.......like i said, we don't take advises from people who are in far worse condition than us......
Interesting that you'd have the audacity to talk about people on the street begging for food with the poverty level in India.
__________________
Trayvon Martin RIP:
Will keep Trayvon's Picture until Zimmerman is arrested and justice is done.
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:40 PM   #140
country flag Ashi
Senior Member
 
Ashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,480
Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

I love how the President's son Abhijeet Mukherjee gets pwned by Arnab Goswami on his comments on the protestors.
Normally, I think the anchor shamelessly plays to the house and is over the top to increase TV ratings. But this time he really came through.

__________________
“ For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks – not that you won or lost – But how you played the Game.” ~~~ Grantland Rice
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil
Dinara Safina & Sania Mirza
Ashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:46 PM   #141
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 28,805
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
your's should be the last country that can boast about "sense of security".......

1. there is that stupid gunlaw of yours......forget about women, even men are not safe in your country......i am laughing my arse off for that alone......nobody is sure whether they will return home without getting bumped off in some downtown......

2. i have already posted the rape statistics which are very high considering how low your population count is compared to india.......even the men are raped in your country.......

3. countless mugging incidents on foreigners in broad daylight......shame really......

4. people on the streets begging for jobs and bread......

we don't live like dogs fucking different women every three months and giving it a name "relationship" or whatever and ending up living alone, leading nomadic lives by mid 30s with no real essence of life......you should be the last one to speak about indian marriages and romance......

we taught the world how to make romance......sex and romance doesn't mean just pulling it out and banging back and forth.......go through the ancient indian scripts and know it yourself what the real purpose of sex is and how a man can be romantic......

"a woman roaming in the night all alone" might suit your lifestyle, not ours.......

just go away and look at your own motherland......don't bother about india......understanding india is beyond your comprehending abilities.......so just stop bullshitting about what measures need to be taken.......like i said, we don't take advises from people who are in far worse condition than us......
You are not worth debating, constantly skirting the issues and engaging in polemics that have little to do with the main points of the discussion.

You are in total denial.
You are talking about India as if we are still in the age of telegrah and that nobody knows what is going on there.

Fortunately, yours is a minority opinion on this forum.
Goobye
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Dec 31st, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:08 PM   #142
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 28,805
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
I love how the President's son Abhijeet Mukherjee gets pwned by Arnab Goswami on his comments on the protestors.
Normally, I think the anchor shamelessly plays to the house and is over the top to increase TV ratings. But this time he really came through.

I agree with that the anchor Goswami is playing to the audience, but he is expressing hte pent up anger and frustration of many.
With that said, I wish the woman activist has had more time.

She sees the big picture and wanted to talk behind what Mr Mukherjee said and addressed the entire political class treatment of women in general.

Thanks for posting it.
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM   #143
country flag Ashi
Senior Member
 
Ashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,480
Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
You are talking about India as if we are still in the age of telegrah and that nobody knows what is going on there.
I'd just like to clarify that most Indians on this board, due to being a tennis board are all educated, upwardly mobile & have strong opinions.
We are always trying to break from the 'poor, hungry, snake charmers etc etc ' mould. Yet, people will mostly generalize and say India has still a long way to go....potray the negatives rather than the positives. Hence, you see the defensiveness here.
We've come a long way. The fact that you see this outrage IS a good sign for young India.
__________________
“ For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks – not that you won or lost – But how you played the Game.” ~~~ Grantland Rice
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil
Dinara Safina & Sania Mirza

Last edited by Ashi : Dec 31st, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Ashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:17 PM   #144
country flag Ashi
Senior Member
 
Ashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,480
Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute Ashi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
I agree with that the anchor Goswami is playing to the audience, but he is expressing hte pent up anger and frustration of many.
With that said, I wish the woman activist has had more time.

She sees the big picture and wanted to talk behind what Mr Mukherjee said and addressed the entire political class treatment of women in general.

Thanks for posting it.
That's only 1 part of a 4 part segment on views by our political class.
__________________
“ For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks – not that you won or lost – But how you played the Game.” ~~~ Grantland Rice
''O eco-friendly, Nature ke rakshak, Main bhi hoon nature!. Rivaazon se, Samaajhon se, kyon, Tu kaate mujhe, Kyun baante mujhse iss tarah. Kyun sach ka sabak sikhaaye, Jab sach sunn bhi na paaye. Sach koi bole toh tu, niyam kanoon bataaye. Tera darr, tera pyaar, teri waah, tu hi rakh!!! ''~~~ Irshad Kamil
Dinara Safina & Sania Mirza
Ashi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM   #145
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 28,805
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
I'd just like to clarify that most Indians on this board, due to being a tennis board are all educated, upwardly mobile & have strong opinions.
We are always trying to break from the 'poor, hungry, snake charmers etc etc ' mould. Yet, people will mostly generalize and say India has still a long way to go....potray the negatives rather than the positives. Hence, you see the defensiveness here.
We've come a long way. The fact that you see this outrage IS a good sign for young India.
I do understand that, but I think Mr Mukherjee reminds me of of Start Da Game , except he (Mukherjee ) was willing to withdraw his unfortunate statements.
He is probably upset that Mukherjee was taken to task and may not appreciate your posting this video.
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 03:27 PM   #146
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 28,805
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
That's only 1 part of a 4 part segment on views by our political class.
I saw the rest of the videos, but it was the same. Unfortunately, the woman activist did not get much more time.
The politicians are postering talking around the issue.

Politicians are the same everywhere.
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #147
country flag mykarma
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,813
mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

India rape sets off debate over women's rights
By By RAVI NESSMAN | Associated Press – 1 hr 4 mins ago


Indian students shout slogans during a protest rally in Hyderabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)Enlarge Gallery

Gang rape protests in India

Related Content

Indian schoolgirls form numbers representing the year 2013 during a prayer ceremony in Ahmadabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. Floral writing at the center reads "Condolence to Damini," a symbolic name given to the victim. (AP Photo/Ajit Solanki)Enlarge Photo

Indian schoolgirls form numbers …
An Indian student shouts slogans during a protest rally in Hyderabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)Enlarge Photo

An Indian student shouts slogans …

NEW DELHI (AP) — India's army and navy canceled New Year's celebrations on Monday out of respect for a New Delhi student whose gang-rape and murder has set off an impassioned debate about what the nation needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

Protesters and politicians have called for tougher rape laws, major police reforms and a transformation in the way the country treats its women.

"To change a society as conservative, traditional and patriarchal as ours, we will have a long haul," said Ranjana Kumari, director of the Center for Social Research. "It will take some time, but certainly there is a beginning."

The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in the Singapore hospital where she had been sent for emergency treatment. Six men have been arrested and charged with murder in the Dec. 16 attack on a New Delhi bus. They face the death penalty if convicted, police said.

The army and navy canceled their New Year's celebrations, as did Sonia Gandhi, head of the ruling Congress party. Hotels and clubs across the capital also said they would forego their usual parties.

"She has become the daughter of the entire nation," said Sushma Swaraj, a leader of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party.

Hundreds of mourners continued their daily protests near Parliament demanding swift government action.

"So much needs to be done to end the oppression of women," said Murarinath Kushwaha, a man whose two friends were on a hunger strike to draw attention to the issue.

Some commentators compared the rape victim, whose name has not been released by police, to Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor whose self-immolation set off the Arab Spring. There was hope her tragedy could mark a turning point for gender rights in a country where women often refuse to leave their homes at night out of fear and where sex-selective abortions and even female infanticide have wildly skewed the gender ratio.

"It cannot be business as usual anymore," the Hindustan Times newspaper wrote in an editorial.

Politicians from across the spectrum called for a special session of Parliament to pass new laws to increase punishments for rapists — including possible chemical castration — and to set up fast-track courts to deal with rape cases within 90 days.

The government has proposed creating a public database of convicted rapists to shame them, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has set up two committees to look into what lapses led to the rape and to propose changes in the law.

The Delhi government on Monday inaugurated a new helpline — 181 — for women, though it wasn't working because of glitches.

Responding to complaints that police refuse to file cases of abuse or harassment brought by women, the city force has appointed an officer to meet with women's groups monthly and crack down on the problem, New Delhi Lt. Gov. Tejendra Khanna said.

"We have mandated that any time any lady visits a police station with a complaint, it has to be recorded on the spot," he said.

Kumari said the Delhi police commissioner sent her a message Monday asking her group to restart police sensitivity training that it had suspended due to lack of funds.

There have also been proposals to install a quota to ensure one-third of Delhi's police are women.

There also have been signs of a change in the public debate about crimes against women.

Other rapes suddenly have become front-page news in Indian newspapers, and politicians are being heavily criticized for any remarks considered misogynistic or unsympathetic to women.

A state legislator from Rajasthan was ridiculed Monday across TV news channels after suggesting that one way to stop rapes would be to change girls' school uniforms to pants instead of skirts.

"How can he tell us to change our clothes?" said Gureet Kaur, a student protester in the Rajasthani town of Alwar. "Why can't girls live freely?"

Some activists have accused politicians of being so cossetted in their security bubbles that they have no idea of the daily travails people are suffering.

Kumari said the country was failing in its basic responsibility to protect its citizens. But she was heartened to see so many young men at the protests along with women.

"I have never heard so many people who felt so deep down hurt," she said. "It will definitely have some impact."

In Geneva, the U.N. human rights chief called Monday for fundamental change in India.

"Let us hope that 2013 will be the year the tide is turned on violence against women in India and all women can walk free without fear," said Navi Pillay, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights. "The public is demanding a transformation in systems that discriminate against women to a culture that respects the dignity of women in law and practice," she said in a statement.

Pillay, a South African of Indian origin, urged Indians not to give in to calls for capital punishment for rapists. "However terrible the crime, the death penalty is not the answer," she said.

___

Associated Press reporters Archana Thiyagarajan and Ashok Sharma in New Delhi and Frank Jordans in Berlin contributed to this report.

___

Follow Ravi Nessman on Twitter at twitter.com/ravinessman
__________________
Trayvon Martin RIP:
Will keep Trayvon's Picture until Zimmerman is arrested and justice is done.
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #148
country flag tennisbum79
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 28,805
tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
India rape sets off debate over women's rights
By By RAVI NESSMAN | Associated Press – 1 hr 4 mins ago


Indian students shout slogans during a protest rally in Hyderabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)Enlarge Gallery

Gang rape protests in India

Related Content

Indian schoolgirls form numbers representing the year 2013 during a prayer ceremony in Ahmadabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. Floral writing at the center reads "Condolence to Damini," a symbolic name given to the victim. (AP Photo/Ajit Solanki)Enlarge Photo

Indian schoolgirls form numbers …
An Indian student shouts slogans during a protest rally in Hyderabad, India, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012. The gang-rape and killing of a New Delhi student has set off an impassioned debate about what India needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again. The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in a Singapore hospital. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A.)Enlarge Photo

An Indian student shouts slogans …

NEW DELHI (AP) — India's army and navy canceled New Year's celebrations on Monday out of respect for a New Delhi student whose gang-rape and murder has set off an impassioned debate about what the nation needs to do to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

Protesters and politicians have called for tougher rape laws, major police reforms and a transformation in the way the country treats its women.

"To change a society as conservative, traditional and patriarchal as ours, we will have a long haul," said Ranjana Kumari, director of the Center for Social Research. "It will take some time, but certainly there is a beginning."

The country remained in mourning Monday, two days after the 23-year-old physiotherapy student died from her internal wounds in the Singapore hospital where she had been sent for emergency treatment. Six men have been arrested and charged with murder in the Dec. 16 attack on a New Delhi bus. They face the death penalty if convicted, police said.

The army and navy canceled their New Year's celebrations, as did Sonia Gandhi, head of the ruling Congress party. Hotels and clubs across the capital also said they would forego their usual parties.

"She has become the daughter of the entire nation," said Sushma Swaraj, a leader of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party.

Hundreds of mourners continued their daily protests near Parliament demanding swift government action.

"So much needs to be done to end the oppression of women," said Murarinath Kushwaha, a man whose two friends were on a hunger strike to draw attention to the issue.

Some commentators compared the rape victim, whose name has not been released by police, to Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian street vendor whose self-immolation set off the Arab Spring. There was hope her tragedy could mark a turning point for gender rights in a country where women often refuse to leave their homes at night out of fear and where sex-selective abortions and even female infanticide have wildly skewed the gender ratio.

"It cannot be business as usual anymore," the Hindustan Times newspaper wrote in an editorial.

Politicians from across the spectrum called for a special session of Parliament to pass new laws to increase punishments for rapists — including possible chemical castration — and to set up fast-track courts to deal with rape cases within 90 days.

The government has proposed creating a public database of convicted rapists to shame them, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has set up two committees to look into what lapses led to the rape and to propose changes in the law.

The Delhi government on Monday inaugurated a new helpline — 181 — for women, though it wasn't working because of glitches.

Responding to complaints that police refuse to file cases of abuse or harassment brought by women, the city force has appointed an officer to meet with women's groups monthly and crack down on the problem, New Delhi Lt. Gov. Tejendra Khanna said.

"We have mandated that any time any lady visits a police station with a complaint, it has to be recorded on the spot," he said.

Kumari said the Delhi police commissioner sent her a message Monday asking her group to restart police sensitivity training that it had suspended due to lack of funds.

There have also been proposals to install a quota to ensure one-third of Delhi's police are women.

There also have been signs of a change in the public debate about crimes against women.

Other rapes suddenly have become front-page news in Indian newspapers, and politicians are being heavily criticized for any remarks considered misogynistic or unsympathetic to women.

A state legislator from Rajasthan was ridiculed Monday across TV news channels after suggesting that one way to stop rapes would be to change girls' school uniforms to pants instead of skirts.

"How can he tell us to change our clothes?" said Gureet Kaur, a student protester in the Rajasthani town of Alwar. "Why can't girls live freely?"

Some activists have accused politicians of being so cossetted in their security bubbles that they have no idea of the daily travails people are suffering.

Kumari said the country was failing in its basic responsibility to protect its citizens. But she was heartened to see so many young men at the protests along with women.

"I have never heard so many people who felt so deep down hurt," she said. "It will definitely have some impact."

In Geneva, the U.N. human rights chief called Monday for fundamental change in India.

"Let us hope that 2013 will be the year the tide is turned on violence against women in India and all women can walk free without fear," said Navi Pillay, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights. "The public is demanding a transformation in systems that discriminate against women to a culture that respects the dignity of women in law and practice," she said in a statement.

Pillay, a South African of Indian origin, urged Indians not to give in to calls for capital punishment for rapists. "However terrible the crime, the death penalty is not the answer," she said.

___

Associated Press reporters Archana Thiyagarajan and Ashok Sharma in New Delhi and Frank Jordans in Berlin contributed to this report.

___

Follow Ravi Nessman on Twitter at twitter.com/ravinessman
They should keep the pressure up.
It is also waking up people who were indifferent or/and sitting on the sidelinese while these public gang rapes are happening
These are the points I was making
__________________
__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XVII

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Dec 31st, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM   #149
country flag mykarma
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,813
mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape outrage... what happens now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
I love how the President's son Abhijeet Mukherjee gets pwned by Arnab Goswami on his comments on the protestors.
Normally, I think the anchor shamelessly plays to the house and is over the top to increase TV ratings. But this time he really came through.

That woman pwned the crap out of the president's son as well as Start da Game.
__________________
Trayvon Martin RIP:
Will keep Trayvon's Picture until Zimmerman is arrested and justice is done.
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 12:29 AM   #150
country flag mykarma
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,813
mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India gang rape victim dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
I'd just like to clarify that most Indians on this board, due to being a tennis board are all educated, upwardly mobile & have strong opinions.
We are always trying to break from the 'poor, hungry, snake charmers etc etc ' mould. Yet, people will mostly generalize and say India has still a long way to go....potray the negatives rather than the positives. Hence, you see the defensiveness here.
We've come a long way. The fact that you see this outrage IS a good sign for young India.
It wouldn't matter where this happened I think the outrage would be the same but find the rest of your post puzzling. The fact that the protest are happening shows that your countrymen do have a long way to go regarding this particular issue with women. As has been previously stated, all countries have their issues and their citizens have had to fight for their civil rights and even after winning those rights it takes a while to change the hearts of those that have been the oppressor.

It's great to see the support that the women are getting from the young men and hope they'll protect them from harm.
__________________
Trayvon Martin RIP:
Will keep Trayvon's Picture until Zimmerman is arrested and justice is done.
mykarma is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios