Post-2003 Veelieving: Dealing with setbacks / Staying Positive - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 31st, 2008, 03:57 AM   #1
country flag Marshmallow

Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow has a reputation beyond repute
Post-2003 Veelieving: Dealing with setbacks / Staying Positive

Hey Veelieving Venuts

Reading some comments all over the place by people sad by Vee’s loss was painful for me.. mmhmmm! With some specific comments in mind, I just had some thoughts about how to Veelieve today, how to maybe better handle Vee’s losses…

3 things to look at, Past, Present and Future.

Past: Venus has achieved SO much in her career, her place in the tennis Hall of Fame and history books is secure. (I’m sure someone else can post all the facts figures, but being a former world number one, Olympic gold medallist, 5 time Wimbledon champion (BIGGEST PRIZE IN TENNIS), 7 slams in total, and NOW a YEC CHAMPION + Grand slam in doubles and so on and so on. If she were to retire today, it’s been a career to be proud of, one that most of tennis players will only dream of. At the end of the day, we look back positively; what the player achieved and not what they didn’t, Venus has done a lot. Point being, in the greater context, these losses and setbacks that she has don’t mean much. It would be good to add some certain titles, but the resume is already impressive!

Present: Staring with off court: Setbacks and losses will obviously hurt Venus, but probably not as long as you might imagine. You have to remember that tennis is only part of her life, she has a pretty full, eventful and successful life outside of tennis, and might I add – LOTS OF MONEY! Tennis losses become a bad day at the office, it’s just one day, they’ll be other opportunities. On court: Tennis is seasonal, and each tournament a fresh start. It’s like a rollercoaster on the whole with highs and lows. There might be a few too many lows, but that only makes the highs – which will come, all the sweeter. I’m thankful that Vee is still a professional and plans to be for a while, with some other notable players deciding to quite at quite young ages.

Future: Reasons to Veelieve that good things are coming.
Venus isn’t the player she used to be, she might very well be past her peak (of consistency). But that’s part of getting older, everything must change. But lets not forget that it was just a few months ago that Venus was the in-form player, making her run to the wimbledon title to the semi’s of the USO. That wasn’t a decade ago, just a few months ago. Can things have changed SO much in such a short space of time that Venus will no longer be able to produce that level of play (which is how some folk were sounding)? Best way to think about the future is to be realistic really. Venus may never get back the consistency she had years back, but if you look at Lindsay, Patty, Amelie, Mary and the likes, they have shown that even as you get older, with the hard work you can still be a top contender. We know Venus is putting in the hard work, she was approaching the net more and hitting lobs!!! The hunger and the drive are still there, probably more so now than they were in recent years. Also, think about the fact that Venus in all her years never really has great starts to the season. Miami, and a few places might showcase the best of Venus – but Venus always struggles at the start of the year, and always lost to players who she should have beaten through out her career. 2000 62,61 spanking by Dokic in Rome, Losses to Schwartz and Schett, and Zvonareva and all sorts… then come the second half and she was Queen of the courts.

Putting these two things together, what I’m trying to say is that, Venus might be past her consistency peak but with her drive and hunger that she is showing now, and the work she is putting into her game – for the next few months and years, can expect Venus to be a serious contender anywhere. They’ll be tough losses along the way, more so because she just isn’t 21 anymore, especially at the start of the season, but provided that she is fit and healthy, it’s just logical to expect that she’ll have good runs especially in the latter half of the season. Don’t expect Venus to win everywhere, and be prepared for some stunning losses, but don’t stop Veelieving, because she is still capable of winning big. The long waits just make it more satisfying when it happens.

*Exhale* (I even tire myself out!)

So this is me trying to get people to better deal with setbacks and tough losses. I guess this is just my take on the situation, I thought I’d offer it because I was over the loss 5 minutes after it happened, pretty much. I didn’t like reading all these posts by Vee fans who are sad by the losses, and I know it’s normal – but just in case some folks are have serious trouble moving past any Venus loss / just getting down on here TOO much… some thoughts.

If you guys want feel free to post positive thoughts, wishes, encouragement and whatnot about Venus (and for Venus fans). Past present or future, just something that might be able to help folks thinking about jumping of cliffs after the losses like that today. This is a place for comfort.

This thread is different to the Support for nervous fans thread, in that, that thread was about people who just get nervous watching Vee's matches. This is about dealing with loses.

I write too much don’t I.

Hope this helps someone… somewhere.

Take care all.

Last edited by Marshmallow : Mar 26th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Marshmallow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:12 AM   #2
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post-2003 Veelieving: Dealing with setbacks / Staying Positive

Nice post Marsh I'm feeling better already. well I'm gonna get some sleep now and I'll be fine in the morning. Its just me being selfish as a fan thinking about myself. I feel I invest so much in Vee that I deserve some success from her to reward my loyalty which is a horrible way of thinking I know. That is sports for you though.

@ "jumping of cliffs". Thankfully, the Venus fanbase is free of sweetcleo types
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM   #3
country flag xr6turbo
Veelieve.

xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some quotes from Venus after the match last night....

"Yeah, just wasn't a good day for our family today, but we always learn and get more determined after our loss," said Venus. "We'll just come back harder."

Venus did not take the loss casually, but is well-worn veteran who knows how to move on. She would shed no tears.

"I decided that's not the approach I want to take," said Venus, who has not won a title this year. "That probably would be the easy thing to do, but that's not the approach that I want to take. I just want to move on and be positive and be an adult about it. [But] I never get used to losing. I don't think anyone gets used to losing. And if they do, then maybe it's time to retire."

"I want to do things on my own terms, I can't have anything take me out.
I have never given up and it's important for me to prove to myself that I can do this, and to prove to me that i'm a champion.
If I were just to sit down, lay down and give in, then I wouldn't have any respect for myself."
VW
xr6turbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, agree with all of it. With Venus I just keep saying to myself that her success begins at Wimbledon. With the Olympics I really think it's going to be a cracking summer

I love the summer
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon - US Open has always been Venus' most successful time of year. She has won 4 Wimbledon titles, 2 US Opens, 4 New Haven titles, 3 San Diego titles, 2 Stanford titles and she has made 2 other Wimbledon finals, 2 US Open finals, 4 Stanford finals and another final of San Diego. She also won the Sydney Olympics during the American Hardcourt Summer. It's a great time of year for Venus.

Unfortunately Fed Cup and WTT have held her back in the last couple of years but she will be free of Fed Cup this summer so hopefully Venus can get back to her old habits on the American hardcourts, at Wimbledon and in Bejing.

Let's all remember that great journey song...

Don't stop veelieving,
Hold on to that fee-ee-eeling!

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM   #6
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute

I greatly admire Venus' resolve and determination!

You get disappointed, but you don't moan and complain.
You learn from what went wrong and you move on ready to
come back stronger and harder!

Do work Venus!
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:37 PM   #7
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gQCEFZo7g

Watch this. This should be out official Vee-lieve video. Made by Paneru

I wish you didn't use such an emotional song, kind of overwhelms me
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM   #8
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesom Vid, the Wimb part is just Especially Marion saying congrats as well I love Bartoli!!!

Best Positive thought =

2 Shit Slams Down, the 2 Faves coming up! Time for both to shooooot up the rankings (52-Week and Race)

My big hope other than the Slams & Olympics is that they qualify for the YEC, huge cash prize and Im sure at least one would make the Final Its like 600 points or something to the winner right?

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM   #9
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, as much as i dislike the YEC. It would be great to still see them fit and healthy at the end of the season still playing some great tennis.
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #10
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its great that all the top players face eachother, just not right at the end of the season perhaps!! Still, would be exciting if Ree could deliver a beatdown to them all!

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM   #11
country flag -VSR-

-VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute -VSR- has a reputation beyond repute

I never expect anything from Venus until Wimbledon.
-VSR- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
country flag serenus_2k8

But with Wimb, Olympics, and US Open, coming up we have lots to be excited about!

Im sure they're gonna do amazing

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

Old May 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM   #13
country flag Vlover

Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm a proud card carrying Venut. Anyway since that '03 abdominal strain her reliable serve went astray. I'm still very optimistic that if she can keep healthy she will have a few more championships. I take my queues from what Vee herself says and if she keeps believing in herself and remain positive I also Veelieve.

From now on out I'm just savoring every match she plays because we are lucky to still have someone to passionately root for as so many other fans of her rivals can't say the same.

I look forward in the coming weeks when I will be on vacation and I can spend more time chatting with the other Venuts.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoboy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gQCEFZo7g

Watch this. This should be out official Vee-lieve video. Made by Paneru

I wish you didn't use such an emotional song, kind of overwhelms me

That's the best video ever! I love that first Wimbledon 2000 picture.

If only this song http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA could be the backing track.
Don't Stop Veelieving.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM   #15
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo View Post
Here is some quotes from Venus after the match last night....

"Yeah, just wasn't a good day for our family today, but we always learn and get more determined after our loss," said Venus. "We'll just come back harder."

Venus did not take the loss casually, but is well-worn veteran who knows how to move on. She would shed no tears.

"I decided that's not the approach I want to take," said Venus, who has not won a title this year. "That probably would be the easy thing to do, but that's not the approach that I want to take. I just want to move on and be positive and be an adult about it. [But] I never get used to losing. I don't think anyone gets used to losing. And if they do, then maybe it's time to retire."
great thread Marshmallow.

Everythign u said is true but after a bad loss like this I just stay pissed for awhile. But after reading Venus' quotes and seeing Paneru's video i'm over it. bring on Wimbledon!!
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote