Is there a case for considering Seles to be greater than Serena? - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #106
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: Is there a case for considering Seles to be greater than Serena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpuff27 View Post
I am not a Graf fan but I nearly choked at that. Graf is 10-1 vs Capriati, and by 1993 the early blooming Capriati was already the same age Graf was when she won the French Open and became #1 and was still losing in slam after slam to Graf in straight sets. No version of Capriati would be remote problem (other than the very odd fluke like the Olympic final) for even semi prime Graf. Graf also won their last match when Graf was 3 something like 6-0, 6-1 too, lol! The only top player Capriati was any problem for was Serena it seemed, the rest a piece of cake, and Graf probably found her easiest of all.
So true.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #107
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly is for Maria
doomsday is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #108
country flag RenaPova

RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Not this again Is the fact the top players win early rounds less easily than they used to a sign of the competition being greater, or a sign of the top players being less consistently brilliant than in past generations? Certainly ATP commentators all claim that the Big 4 sailing through the early rounds so easily is a sign of them being so great, rather than the rest of the field being weaker than it used to be

Again, by what quantifiable measure? Steffi Graf at her best won her matches more emphatically than Serena does, and her best seasons are much better than Serena's best seasons
But you're trying to make everything quantifiable by using scorelines and numbers but watching the matches, it's pretty clear the competition was very weak, and again, watching matches it's clear to see that Serena's tennis at her best has never been matched by any of the other girls in history
RenaPova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #109
country flag powerpuff27

powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all

The other funny thing is even just in peak play one could argue all of Graf over Serena, Serena over Seles, and Seles over Graf if they want to. First off even using the most simplistic of logic, if of the 3 major surfaces one says Seles at her best is over Graf on clay and hard courts based on the early 90s, and one argued Serena over Seles on both grass and hard courts, one could still argue Graf over both Serena on clay (Seles above Serena on clay too so no conflict there) and grass (Graf way over Seles on grass too, so no conflict there). One could imagine a hypothetical Serena has the edge over Seles peak to peak at 3 of 4 slams, Seles over Graf at 3 of 4, and Graf over Serena at 2 of 4 but having the big edge of playing more regularly. That is even before considering the totally different matchups all 3 present vs either.

For the record in terms of just peak play I would rate them Serena over Graf over Seles if had to pick even if pure stats (W-L, slam domination, and other stats in their best years) would say Graf way ahead of the other two, and Seles a bit over Serena. Grafs peak years for me would be 88, 89, 95, and 96, so how she compared vs Seles in the early 90s would be meaningless to me when comparing them peak to peak, and thus would even be meaningless to the 3 way comparision hypothetical I went by for those who believe Seles was better than peak Graf just based on the early 90s. Graf in 89 and 95 for instance lost 2 matches, and in 91 for instance lost about 8 matches, and none of those to Seles, so it doesnt take an einstein to see the difference. In overall greatness my personal ranking would be just like the consensus Graf then Serena then Seles, but I would have Serena much closer to Graf than many people would, and she probably is closer to passing her in my mind than she is in many peoples.

Last edited by powerpuff27 : Dec 27th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
powerpuff27 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #110
country flag Natural Joe

Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute Natural Joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hm...forehand27 and powerpuff27 are quite similar posters, no?
Natural Joe is online now View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #111
country flag powerpuff27

powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all powerpuff27 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaPova View Post
But you're trying to make everything quantifiable by using scorelines and numbers but watching the matches, it's pretty clear the competition was very weak, and again, watching matches it's clear to see that Serena's tennis at her best has never been matched by any of the other girls in history
From 1983 until 2003 the competition in the WTA got gradually better almost all the time, until starting to go gradually down since 2003, so Serena easily had more competition for awhile than either Graf or Seles (not to even mention Navratilova who had way worse competition overall than even Graf or Seles had, other than Evert mostly a bunch of bums who could barely play tennis). The double edged sword is the competition for Serena these days is not as strong as her competition once was.
powerpuff27 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #112
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

No. Simple math dictates.
edificio is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #113
country flag GAGAlady

GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future

For those who claim Jennifer would get her ass kicked by graff in 2001 2002 form fail to realize that that Jennifer was vastly stronger and mentally tougher than Jennifer CAPRIATI of 1993... It's not even a competition Jen of 2001 would of double bageled Jen off 1992/93... So please give me a break

Head Bitch of the JANKOBITCH ASSOCIATION of players.
GAGAlady is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #114
country flag GAGAlady

GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future

And graff wouldn't have overpowered Jen like she did in the past. It would be an even battle probably three sets...

Head Bitch of the JANKOBITCH ASSOCIATION of players.
GAGAlady is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #115
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Hm...forehand27 and powerpuff27 are quite similar posters, no?
yes

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM   #116
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! I forgot this was another dsanders06 thread to "discuss" Graf v. Serena. Shame this one didn't get 20+ pages.....BUMP
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM   #117
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

How does anyone take this pitiful troll seriously
Olórin is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM   #118
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe anyone thinks 'yes'!
Londoner is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 08:42 PM   #119
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

There's only one thing to do when a thread like this comes back from the dead.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread