2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #121
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road
Re: Petra lost to Dominika in Sydney

^^ To Excel, if that translation is correct, it doesn't sound like her performance was a tank job, unless she's trying to come across as passive, while coming out blazing guns in Melbourne. She needs to do some soul searching the coming days if she wants to start her year with a bang (this really sounds pessimistic). I know her game relies on risky shots because that's how she's imprinted but she has had comebacks in the past while playing with lackluster attitude, shots 50 feet out on the stands and abysmal footwork - through improvising on the court (utilizing her all-court game). The outlook is quite gloomy if her confidence is already on a low. I really hope I'm wrong. I hope she gets some free passes (i mean, easy opponents during the first week in Oz) to get her into form while playing shit tennis (look at US Open first few rounds last year against Hercog and Cornet), so she can gain some of the needed fire and confidence. The problem is, her ranking is not that high, so she could already get a difficult contender in the third round.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #122
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Petra, Petra, Petra... The only advantage that I have is that I'm too busy right now to follow tennis on a consistent basis but it seems nothing has changed for her. I have no idea if she's in a mini-slump, advanced-slump or just totally done at 21-22 [whatever age she's given by the WTA] but I really hope she gets her stuff together again.

People talk about fitness (the most obvious thing they think they can see from where they are to speculate on her various Mayan's end-of-the-Petra's-world) but is Petra for example eager enough like she was in the YEC or in Linz 2011 to go on the drawing board and work 'other' winning strategies ? She's become that lazy nowadays ?

She can slice, drop-shot, play controlled-offensive tennis, transition forward... -- her post-Wimbledon slump resulted into on-court tactical changes and this is how she won Linz playing the most varied/complete tennis you'd ever seen from her ; in the YEC she [they] decided to charge the net a lot... she definitively has the talent to explore other domains than just brutal power. Does her actual coach self encourage her to do so ?

The rare times where Petra thought tactical-tennis, she was alone without her coach, no ?

Even if Petra had thoroughly worked her fitness in the off-season, considering she isn't a natural athlete, this would take years before everything comes neatly into place -- she really really needs to find an alternative game-plan to her A-game, it could be slicing her backhand ala Vinci every time in difficult times or hitting her strokes with more spin and considerably less power but at least winning is the only thing that would count.

Losing to Cibulkova 1 & 1 is simply just as bad as it gets -- I'm not even going to predict anything for her, at this stage it's just wait and see how she makes things unfold because this is taking 'Ivanovic-ian' proportions in terms of career derailment -- we're already a year away from Petra's peak almost 2 now -- time flies fast and 2011 seems already so much like yesterday, though, Petra would have had a 2 year 'peak/prime' in comparison to Nananovic's semi-year fluke (that was just to not call Bruce's attention).

Last edited by Vikapower : Jan 6th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #123
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yeah, but she only played two matches in Brisbane (and didn't look that great). So I don't agree. That's not enough matches, mind you quality ones.

And you're saying it's humid in Sydney now (shouldn't stop her from at least competing)?

And Vaidisova, won't be enough to hit against, if she wants to beat Sharapova, Petrova, Serena (and maybe some others).

Plus, other players won't relentlessly work on you with drills, the way a paid hitting partner will. It's not the same. Trust me.
In terms of humidity Brisbane>Sydney>Melbourne, so no problem for her in Melbourne, also if there would be extremely hot this translates to faster courts, this favors Petra and i bet she will be hungry for some fins, so see her reaching QF at least. Pova hasn't played at all and Vika had only one match but i'm sure they easily reach SF, can't see why Petra can't do same, i have all confidence in her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well,I hope you chose the Vikings because,unless they had lost 44-7,they couldn't have done worse than that big smelly turd that Petra laid on the Sydney court today....and Paul,get that translation ready;I have a feeling that you'll be forced to keep your promise at the end of March(the 3-month trial period)
I chose Putinseva match, it was hilarious epic match, also watched Petra and Vikings put on mute. Kinda disappointing day, Bengals were useless, Ponder didn't show up and Webb didn't play explosive like he can(kudos to GB for stopping AD), Petra tanked to Domi, Sofia lost but at least Galina made it and Putinseva didn't advance just to see Sloane vs Yulia disrespect each other
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #124
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Off Topic: What happened to i.luv.kvitty, guys? Did they permaban her? I miss her.
it'a He and he's banned as usual
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #125
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Cibulkova had an unfair advantage having taken advantage of innovative Slovak training techniques: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...BFidPRdRokRlhw

I was looking for the link to the Slovak junior open and my guesswork wasn't up to it so I resorted to Google translate. The funny translation may be dependent on your native language as Google detects it, though it's obviously inherent in the original to some extent at least.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #126
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I also saw the numbers of the match, 2 winners in set 1 (14 something unforced errors) 34 in total for a 14 games match 2.4/game ? -- seriously Petra but whatever, I don't even think she'll get things corrected on hard-courts with her 'all-sorts of problems' spiral she's in right now (asthma not asthma etc.) - It would probably be wiser to wait for a peak on grass, Wimbledon and a sort of Serena-like end of 2013 form, what can one hope for (?).

I have a feeling Petra's career will be very similar to Venus', don't say I said it first.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #127
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
^^ To Excel, if that translation is correct, it doesn't sound like her performance was a tank job, unless she's trying to come across as passive, while coming out blazing guns in Melbourne. She needs to do some soul searching the coming days if she wants to start her year with a bang (this really sounds pessimistic). I know her game relies on risky shots because that's how she's imprinted but she has had comebacks in the past while playing with lackluster attitude, shots 50 feet out on the stands and abysmal footwork - through improvising on the court (utilizing her all-court game). The outlook is quite gloomy if her confidence is already on a low. I really hope I'm wrong. I hope she gets some free passes (i mean, easy opponents during the first week in Oz) to get her into form while playing shit tennis (look at US Open first few rounds last year against Hercog and Cornet), so she can gain some of the needed fire and confidence. The problem is, her ranking is not that high, so she could already get a difficult contender in the third round.
Well, I never called it a tank job. That was ShiftyFella (who I think responded already, but not sure it's to this). Petra was just awful (whether she tried or was half ass-ing it).

Let's be clear. Petra is not as much as a hit and miss player as her reputation. When she's playing well (especially on hardcourt), her game is quite nuanced, patient and with strategy. This was just the ball bashing Petra of 3-5 years ago.

Petra just couldn't hit the ball in the ocean yesterday. And to add to it, her service was subar. Obviously, so was her brain, cause she couldn't think her way out of it as well.

What is alarming about this: Petra was quite consistent the first quarter of the past two years to start the season. This level so far, is more familiar with her top 65 status ranking in 2010, before her Wimbledon break through.

I don't know what's going to happen. But lets just sit back and see/find out?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #128
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
hi sweety
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #129
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Send her a PM.
Done.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #130
Setsuna.

Quote:
"I'm not that well right now, in terms of confidence, but I always look forward. Awaits us Grand Slam and I hope everything will be better there than here," she added.
Petra.

So she is waiting something good to happen to her all of a sudden? Why doesn't she work hard instead of waiting things to get better for her? If she keeps thinking that way, then she won't get better at all and nothing will change. No matter how big Petra's talent is, she won't fulfill her poteional without working hard.

Just look at what Pavlyuchenkova did when she worked hard in the off-season. She transformed from a useless player to a player who plays top 10-5 tennis all of a sudden.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #131
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
You should visit czech tennis forum or GM[/url]
Are you suggesting that I have a wrong-headed attitude??You aren't implying that,to be a Petra fan,we're not allowed to be pissed-off with her over crappy performances,are you?I made it clear that her health should come first and,if she can't handle the physical strain of the tour with her asthma,then she should play it safe and find something else in life that was less taxing on her health

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #132
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Are you suggesting that I have a wrong-headed attitude??You aren't implying that,to be a Petra fan,we're not allowed to be pissed-off with her over crappy performances,are you?I made it clear that her health should come first and,if she can't handle the physical strain of the tour with her asthma,then she should play it safe and find something else in life that was less taxing on her health
no, amount of overreaction, crying and bashing is ridicilous. it's like they ready to burry her forever just because of some silly loss
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #133
Setsuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
it'a He and he's banned as usual
I was told i.luv.kvitty is a she.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #134
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences guys, hope Petra can do better at the AO.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #135
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post

I have a feeling Petra's career will be very similar to Venus', don't say I said it first.
Agreed......like Venus, Petra is becoming "a waste of talent". Venus lacked discipline in her ground game, which cost her a dominating career. Petra is in the same mode with Barthel not far behind. If one thinks Petra is going to "miraculously" turn her game around next week and reach the final of the AO, you need a severe reality check. All one has is "hope", for there is nothing else. Petra is vulnerable to losing in the lst round "to any player", her loss "self-caused", for this display against Cibby is the lowest, most putrid display of tennis I've seen from her. This display also falls on her coach, for there is no way a player with Petra's talent can put on a consistent display of tennis with her ground game so hit or miss. This shows how she practices to put on an exhibition of tennis like this. Unfortunately, Petra loves her coach, but a coaching change is in order if this reckless, error-laden display of tennis is not corrected in the short run.

Last edited by Rex59 : Jan 6th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Rex59 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote