2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #31
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Carla in Brisbane

She'll take it (though it started like it would be an abject wipe out).

Saw some things that I liked (her footwork; the way she was moving and freely/quickly swinging, redirecting the racket; the way she was stepping into the court and how she was volleying early--though she largely stopped as the match progressed).

Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.

Well, the broadcaster said all the other matches had went 3 sets, and said it was windy there today, so I'll cut her some slack, wait and see? I'll also give her some credit for keeping CSN's 2nd set win total at 4.

Onward.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #32
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.
meh... Petra was toying with her. This is the first match of the new season, it's really doesn't matter how she played as long as she get the win, tournament for her will start against Pavs
ShiftyFella is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #33
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
meh... Petra was toying with her. This is the first match of the new season, it's really doesn't matter how she played as long as she get the win, tournament for her will start against Pavs
OK. Fair enough.

Speaking about Pav's: I just hope Petra doesn't change up what she was doing today when she plays Anastasia.

I like the way Petra was swinging the racket and moving (especially considering it was her first match against a potentially tricky opponent in the wind).

I didn't see Pav's match. But I'm not not so sure she'll be able to return some of the balls today that CSN did to hang in some of those rallies or sneak out a game or two.

We'll see?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #34
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i like positive signs but seriously it was just warm up, she's like any other player stuck in transition mode from prepping in offseason to start playing real tennis, amount of 3 setters just proves it, also i liked the fact that it was probably the most solid performance in 1st round of any tournaments she played, usually she starts more shaky and works herself into match but this time she was ON from the start.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #35
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is an unknown quantity at this point

^^Definitely agree with ShiftyFella regarding the comparison with her previous first round matches to this match. When she was 4-0 up first set, she became quite passive, knowing that her tactics and shots were working and then she stepped it up a bit more in the last games of the first set. In the second, CSN played somewhat better and was retrieving more balls. Petra gave a hasty impression with her shots, mistiming them at times, but pulled through in the end. Certainly a solid first round performance relative to her previous first round matches.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #36
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,I agree with both Shifty and Hyper;even great champions sometimes struggle in their first match returning from the offseason(I'm including other sports here,even taking exhos and preseason into account).Let's check out how quickly Petra can round into form.She's won a season-opening tourney before,and it'd be nice to see her do it again

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #37
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

28 winners, nice!
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 07:47 AM   #38
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra playing Nastya in Brisbane

Quote:
Was so great to be back on court yesterday and get the first win of the season! Want to wish you all a happy and healthy new year in 2013!
SHOW COURT 1
third match
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com...n-schedule.pdf
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM   #39
country flag Excelscior

No knock against Sara Errani. But Petra should have been on that Stadium court, instead of her.

The other thing is: Petra hasn't played on that court, and Pav's probably has. So Petra may have to make some adjustments to this show court???

Hopefully not (or that many). But this is what happens when you fall out of the top 4.

At least there will be a stream (based off of last nights matches, though we won't get that funny male commentator--Kevin Skinner, from the Pat Rafter/stadium court).
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM   #40
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Pavlyuchenkova is as solid as it comes when she doesn't DF. This will be a good match to watch.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM   #41
country flag ShiftyFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
No knock against Sara Errani. But Petra should have been on that Stadium court, instead of her.
Errani ranked higher, so ranking wise she should be there, tho 'name' wise, Pavs vs Petra is way bigger match up and maybe better for promoting WTA
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #42
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Errani ranked higher, so ranking wise she should be there, tho 'name' wise, Pavs vs Petra is way bigger match up and maybe better for promoting WTA
Petra was on the stadium court opening night, when Eranni was on some back court (I don't even think it was show court 1). So they didn't have to put her on the show court today/tonight.

If I do decide to watch this and there is no announcer, I just hope that I can keep myself up.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 03:11 AM   #43
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year,Czech Petra Fans Mafia!Am catching a morning flight back to Mexico tomorrow so I can't stay up late for Petra's match which will pro'bly start soon...at least vs. Miss cute baby fat,Petra won't be at any stamina disadvantage.....VAMONOS PETRA!!!

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM   #44
country flag Excelscior

Re: Petra lost to Nastya in Brisbane

I really don't know what to say, other than, let's see what happens in Sydney and Brisbane?

And if you guys didn't know, Sharapova is out the tournament. So who ever gets out of the quarter here, maybe playing Petra pigeon Dannie Hantch during the semi.

Missed potential opportunity. Oh well.

With everything discussed about Petra and her team at the end of the season, I have a wait and see attitude and won't let this bother me.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 05:01 AM   #45
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Happy New Year,Czech Petra Fans Mafia!Am catching a morning flight back to Mexico tomorrow so I can't stay up late for Petra's match which will pro'bly start soon...at least vs. Miss cute baby fat,Petra won't be at any stamina disadvantage.....VAMONOS PETRA!!!
Happy New Year Bruce.

You didn't miss nothing.