2013 Australian Open - Stuck in the mud - Page 17 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #241
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra beat Francesca in Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvonaraver View Post

At least, Fran made her hit plenty of balls. Good practice session.
Good Point.

Who knows how much Petra would have hit on her off day, if she had won the match 6-2 6-2.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #242
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Petra

About second set „I knew this was the road to hell."
http://sport.idnes.cz/petra-kvitova-...2602_tenis_ten

About preseason “My body parts that were weak are stronger, but I play the same old style. It is messed up.“
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis-...nove-telo.html

You will love the next one.
Going by this quote (I know I should read the article, but I've been on Opera lately, and haven't switched to my Google browser yet), it appears Petra's saying her body is sore or "messed up" but her game is the same.

Obviously, she didn't get the proper rest and/or preparation (regardless of what she's saying) at the end of last season, but this can be a little TMI (but we thank you for the info anyway Petra).

Why was the second, "the set from hell"? Was it her asthma, (which she discussed after the match regarding that set), Franny's play, or how her body felt during or going into it?

Last edited by Excelscior : Jan 15th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #243
country flag Tezuka.
Donna Rules.

Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute Tezuka. has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't lose to Hypson now.
Forever Chakvetadze
Tezuka. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #244
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
it appears Petra's saying her body is sore or "messed up"
She is confused.

Quote:
but her game is the same.
like last year

Quote:
Why was the second, "the set from hell"? Was it her asthma, (which she discussed after the match regarding that set), Franny's play?
„I stopped playing aggressive. She got into the rhytm. We played longer rallies and I lost my breathe.“
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #245
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
She is confused.

like last year

„I stopped playing aggressive. She got into the rhytm. We played longer rallies and I lost my breathe.“
I know you can't speak for Petra Paul (and I didn't read the article yet). But how is she "confused" with her tennis swings, unless they tweaked it (which I sure hope not and find hard to believe)? And if her 'game is the same", then how could her strokes be messed up or confusing?

Now, maybe I'm just confused (lol), and she's saying HER GAME or mind is confused on the court?

Note: I know trying to understand Petra, is not always easy.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #246
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Petra

About second set „I knew this was the road to hell."
http://sport.idnes.cz/petra-kvitova-...2602_tenis_ten
Even lefties hate playing lefties and match vs Flopson could be night match, this definitely helps Petra, so do they put her on RLA? It would be interesting
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #247
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Even lefties hate playing lefties and match vs Flopson could be night match, this definitely helps Petra, so do they put her on RLA? It would be interesting
Did you watch Robson's match against Oudin? I think she played well!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #248
country flag Excelscior

Though I didn't watch Roebson's match, I'm not worried about Petra playing another lefty. That's usually not an issue for her, if she's anything close to reasonable form.

Petra's good hands, usually alleviate any issue of the ball coming from different angles and spins.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #249
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

^
she lost to Schnyder and Benesova in 09/10, twice to Kerber last year and once to Makarova

she was 5-3 facing lefties in 12 and before that 8-4
TimeyWimey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #250
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But how is she "confused" with her tennis swings
She is not talking about swings. „ I´m a little off“ … „The match with Cibulkova was not about hitting but about my head.“
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #251
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeyWimey View Post
^
she lost to Schnyder and Benesova in 09/10, twice to Kerber last year and once to Makarova

Her match against Kerber is always very tight and Kerber is an excellent retriever, so that's why Petra has a hard time playing her. The loss against Makarova was out of nervousness I think (it was in Eastbourne) because she knew she had to defend Wimbledon (I mean, that loss wasn't typical Petra on grass), also Makarova had already captured the title before in Eastbourne. Against Benesova and Schnyder, that was her pre-2011 form so she wasn't mature enough then.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #252
country flag hypersonic

hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road hypersonic is on a distinguished road

I think the best tactics against Robson is to let her run (utilizing deep shots, using angles and maintaining variety if she can, of course) so she can't execute her A-game. I mean, if I would have seen Petra's A-game today, then I would say, she should go for her first-strike tennis. I have seen some flashes of those good shots but still inconsistent.
hypersonic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #253
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Did you watch Robson's match against Oudin? I think she played well!
yeah, Laura served some great aces at 180kmph and her serve was around 170, meanwhile Petra was barely in 160 territory but Melanie played really poorly making Flopson looking really good but some of her serving was really nice. this could be hard match with boatload of UEs from both, also Laura can move well and fast i.e can make things difficult for Petra but she usually flops to any decent consistent or big hitter player
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #254
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
She is not talking about swings. „ I´m a little off“ … „The match with Cibulkova was not about hitting but about my head.“
Oh, god.

Petra didn't have to tell us that.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #255
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeyWimey View Post
^

Thanks for the info, numerical confirmation Timey.

Remember, she lost one of the Kerber matches, cause she was injured (Rome on Clay). And she lost the other Kerber match, when she was probably tired (Cincinnati on Hardcourt in a close three set match, after she had won Montreal). Nonetheless, it was a good, tight three set match, that either player could have won. So I wouldn't contribute that to Kerber's "leftyness". If anything, it appears that Petra swing gives Kerber more troubles than Kerbers, when you actually watch their matches and Kerber's face.

As far as Makarova, that was Petra's first match on grass (at Eastbourne), while Makarova had already played a grass tournament before. So I don't think that had anything to do with "leftyness" either. I just think Petra wasn't prepared/ready and lost. Those numbers, would be no different, than any of Petra's other losses Petra had last year to similar right hand opponents and circumstances.

And Petra hates playing fellow Czech's (especially in the past, when she wasn't a very good or consistent player to begin with), regardless of what side they swung their racket on.

If Petra's in good form, she should win. If she's not, then it can get dicey or quite interesting. It's hard to judge a player (Robson), when they beat Melanie Ouidin in their previous match (I know I spelled it wrong).

Let's see if Petra can carry forward the best elements of what she did yesterday?

Last edited by Excelscior : Jan 15th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.