Does Kvitova really want it? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Does Kvitova really want it?

I mean really. Based on what seems to be increasing belly fat and a halfhearted approach to getting in tip-top condition, I think she doesn't. Sure she'd like it and she's genuinely putting effort into it, but I think the intensity of her drive isn't that high. IMO the main reason she won Wimbledon and the YEC is the natural talent in her game.
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
I do like Petra, idolizing I do not know but what I know is your argument "Petra is unfit" from a simple belly doesn't find echo
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.
Nice post.

Plus, anyone that's seen Petra 3 yrs ago, compared to now (or read her coaches comments about her desire and openness, when they first met to discuss her tennis future), would highly question the "she doesn't want it enough" premise.

But that's just my two cents (and response to your post). Not looking for a debate or argument from anyone.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.
You just enunciated what Petra had been doing the last few month(s)/week(s) etc. which is physical conditioning right, no ? -- probably you have understood that this not specifically related to fitness but need something to rock your boat.

Your arguments sole turns around a belly to make a general statement of XXX order -- like I said you're using the wrong observations that make you draw the wrong conclusions or probably you're doing this on purpose.

From a general stand-point she's fit -- IK her ITW's etc. where she talks about all that (fitness etc.) and took a romantic tour with boy-friend in Turkey to deal with these etc. but my only issue is your faculty to use one aspect and over-amplify it to draw conclusions who tend to be false --

Her "so called" belly doesn't affect her overall fitness that much IMo, so as having a small belly doesn't mean a player is unfit, there are too many parameters for you to come up with such only from here and there pictures --

As for the rest, I'll leave you out with the "general theories", e.g., player needs to be fit to compete at high level etc. which anyways are just sugarcoating from pure evidence to bring agreement even if in the base they are right.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM   #7
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.
I agree with everything you said about Petra's priorities and what she should work on Mac.

My one quibble (unless you meant for this year; post injuries/layoff, or just in general), is that Petra had no problem with Stamina what so ever last year; both in matches and during the long year.

Of course, I agree all players (including Petra) should strive to have better/more stamina, if there's room to do so, as long as it improves their tennis (a player like Caro for example, wouldn't be helped anymore. She needs to work on her actual tennis). Lol.

One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.

Can't fault Petra for that (losing weight at the expense of her stomach), if it doesn't affect or improve her tennis game, over other more pertinent priorities. She's come so far (the last 2-3 yrs), while having so much more to go, the next 1-3 yrs, and there after.

Good Luck/Go Petra.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #8
country flag naranka

naranka has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post

One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.
It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.
naranka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:06 AM   #9
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

True that Petra had no problems with stamina last year, but she has had some this year, especially in the loss to McHale.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute

Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud
Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #11
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 8 View Post
Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud
Are you trolling? Cause I'm not sure what you were looking at in the match.

Petra looked fine and quite svelte.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #12
country flag pov

Quote:
Are you trolling? Cause I'm not sure what you were looking at in the match.

Petra looked fine and quite svelte.
You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by naranka View Post
It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.
You poor twisted sod.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #14
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.
I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head.

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course).

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #15
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head.

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course).

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).
Fuck her stomach! What about her focus and preparation? Petra's game is in the tank at the moment.
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote