Fed Cup 2013 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #31
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Sorry if I don't join the party but this thread is turning into a bit too much of a "let's bitch about people we don't like fest" for my liking.

Blaming DT for playing Rodionova 3 times is ridiculous. She was easily the second highest ranked singles player present at the time, and he backed her to come good. The best thing about Taylor as a captain was that he stuck by his players, and didn't sow panic by making sudden changes at the first sign of trouble. Nastya should have won both those singles matches. That she didn't win one was hardly DT's fault. Ditto for the doubles.

Not that this is a DC thread in the first place, but from where I see it Tomic was behaving like an idiot, and the suspension seems to have had a positive effect on him, so where's the problem? And why should Rafter need anybody's permission to take a holiday whenever and wherever he likes, as long as it's not during DC week?

Not saying either of these guys are perfect, but for my money it's a bit too easy to just blame them for every real and imagined thing that goes wrong.
Take a chill pill mate. Public forum so we can make comments if we like. You may call it bitching, I believe they are constructive and justified or atleast worthy of discussion:

Australian summer swing - many players on the tour cusp who would benefit from DC captains assistance and expertise, I believe the DC captian should be around during this time,
Alicia is inexperienced and I believe may struggle in the hostorically difficult FC position,
Rodi was hampered by a hip complaint throughout the year, and I believe it was a incorrect decision to play her in 3 rubbers considering her movement was clearly restricted (particularly as I witnessed it live),
We have Rafter finally saying that he wants to sit down with Tomic, I believe he should have addressed this situation WITH Bernard as it happened straight AFTER the Germany tie, and not through 3rd parties,
And I believe Todd Woodbridge has too many fingers in too many pies to do all of his tasks effectively.

Ive been following Australian tennis for a good 30 years, forgive me if Im a little skeptical of Tennis Australia because their track record isn't too flash during this time. And I think I should be allowed to state my opinion on this forum!
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #32
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Take a chill pill mate. Public forum so we can make comments if we like. You may call it bitching, I believe they are constructive and justified or atleast worthy of discussion:

Australian summer swing - many players on the tour cusp who would benefit from DC captains assistance and expertise, I believe the DC captian should be around during this time,
Alicia is inexperienced and I believe may struggle in the hostorically difficult FC position,
Rodi was hampered by a hip complaint throughout the year, and I believe it was a incorrect decision to play her in 3 rubbers considering her movement was clearly restricted (particularly as I witnessed it live),
We have Rafter finally saying that he wants to sit down with Tomic, I believe he should have addressed this situation WITH Bernard as it happened straight AFTER the Germany tie, and not through 3rd parties,
And I believe Todd Woodbridge has too many fingers in too many pies to do all of his tasks effectively.

Ive been following Australian tennis for a good 30 years, forgive me if Im a little skeptical of Tennis Australia because their track record isn't too flash during this time. And I think I should be allowed to state my opinion on this forum!
Not sure what your point is. Like you say this is a public forum, and I'm expressing my opinion. A good deal more civil than you in how I've done that I might add. I never said you weren't entitled to express your opinion, I'm just disagreeing with you.

I'd save the chill pill for yourself if I were you.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #33

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I agree that these are all valid points to raise, and I don’t completely disagree with you on all of them by any means.

It’s probably true that some young players would have benefited from having Rafter around during the AO. But I wouldn’t go as far as you by saying he should have been there. He has a right to his private life as well as other legitimate interests outside his role as DC captain.

I absolutely agree that the FC captaincy is potentially difficult for somebody as inexperienced as Alicia. But as far as I can see the only other person who would have been obviously better suited to the role was Nicole Bradtke, and it seems she wasn’t even a candidate. I didn’t detect a lot of support for Nicole Pratt, and even less (to put it mildly) for Todd. So it was probably a toss-up between Alicia and Rennae. Stubbsy would bring more experience than Alicia for sure, but is also known as something of a loose cannon. They could have gone either way I think. Time will tell whether it was a wise move.

If Anastasia’s hip was an issue at the time I’m sure it was considered. It’s worth pointing out that she played a regular tournament schedule both before and after, including a few 3-setters, some of which she actually won, so she wasn’t completely incapacitated. The captain and coach didn’t have the benefit of hindsight like we do now, but had to make the call at the time. It’s not unusual for players to carry injuries on court, so they probably thought that even carrying a slight injury the extra experience of Rodi outweighed the relative inexperience of the alternatives. Easy to say after the fact that they got it wrong.

I don’t know all the details, but it’s probably true that Rafter could have handled the situation with Tomic better than he has. But not many captains have to deal with cases quite as difficult as Bernard so soon after taking over the reigns as captain. He probably thought a slap on the wrists, even at a distance, would be enough (for anybody but Bernard it would have been). That may have been a mistake, but it’s done, all he can do is move forward from the situation as it currently is. I think he’s perfectly right not to take any shit from the kid now. Better to go ahead without him than have him on board thinking he can just do whatever the fuck he wants. That’s my opinion anyway.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 04:16 AM   #34
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
By the way, I agree that these are all valid points to raise, and I don’t completely disagree with you on all of them by any means.
Cool, Im glad you don't believe that my posts are 'ridiculous', bitch-fests or blaming people for real and imaginary things.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Cool, Im glad you don't believe that my posts are 'ridiculous', bitch-fests or blaming people for real and imaginary things.
I'm not out to start any fights here. For the record, these are some of the posts I was responding to in the post you took offense to.

Quote:
I believe he's a tool.... and that by speaking softly he's believes he's some sort of tennis god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_fan View Post
Brilliant call.
Quote:
Although, we shouldn't forget the absolute disaster that was the loss to ukraine at home in 2011 when Taylor played an injured Rodinova in 3 matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post
Yeah that was shocking. Pretty sure Ferguson or whoever he chose not to use was in decent form too.
Quote:
Yes, that was a disaster!
I apologise if in the heat of the moment I threw more fuel on the fire, but I thought the tone of some of these comments was unnecessarily harsh, and that the thread was slipping into a bit too comfortable a consensus as to who the “good guys” and “bad guys” are.

Like I said I have no problem with critical comments, but don’t think we gain anything by slagging off at anyone.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:27 AM   #36
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

The Fed Cup tie was 2 years ago so i won't go on about it too much but I was there live for the whole tie and it was quite clear that Rodinova was not fit to play, she was horribly out of form and her movement looked affected. A captain should be able to tell this and pull the trigger on the enxt player, she honestly should of been ebnched after the first day she was that bad. The moment that always gets me is when they announced who was playing the doubles (and that Rodionova was playing) and the crowd let out the biggest groan you could imagine. Let me remind you this tie was played at a country club where the most noise you would get is a golf clap after each point.

And Pat is digging his own hole as far as I'm concerned.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM   #37

Quote:
The Fed Cup tie was 2 years ago so i won't go on about it too much but I was there live for the whole tie and it was quite clear that Rodinova was not fit to play, she was horribly out of form and her movement looked affected. A captain should be able to tell this and pull the trigger on the enxt player, she honestly should of been ebnched after the first day she was that bad. The moment that always gets me is when they announced who was playing the doubles (and that Rodionova was playing) and the crowd let out the biggest groan you could imagine. Let me remind you this tie was played at a country club where the most noise you would get is a golf clap after each point.

And Pat is digging his own hole as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe they should just purchase a groanometer and dispense with the captain altogether

Seriously, one of the things that I always admired about DT as captain is that he didn't allow himself to be swayed too much by expectations of others, he trusted his own judgment. That's what a captain should do IMO, and that's precisely the point on which I have my doubts about Alicia. She's a sweetheart, and may find it difficult to take the tough and unpopular decisions a captain has to take from time to time.

Concerning the Ukraine tie, I think you're making a bit of a caricature of the last rubber. Sure, injury was a factor, but since it wasn't completely debilitating it was just one of a range of factors. Some other things they almost certainly would have taken into account:

* the last rubber was doubles, where hampered movement is less of an issue than in singles.
* Anastasia was the most experienced and accomplished doubles player in the team. That needs to be weighed against the injury, and against the lack of experience of the alternatives. Especially in a decider it's not a crazy thing to put a lot of weight on experience.
* team spirit and player confidence is important, and one of the ways DT tried to bolster that was to back his key players to come good even after a loss, and to give his less experienced players the matches with less pressure. If Rodi said she was fit enough to play, he would take her word for that.

There may well be other factors, these are just the ones that even someone with my limited knowledge and experience can come up with. So I don't think it's quite as obvious that it was a bad decision as you guys are making it out to be.

Btw, I think it's Bernie who's digging a hole. Time will tell which of us is right, until then I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Last edited by stromatolite : Jan 21st, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM   #38
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

^^ Are you a PR spin doctor for Tennis Australia? It's the same with Sam's horrible losses.

Were you at the tie? Because you could see and everyone else see that Rodinova was not fit to play at all after those singles matches, she was horrific.

And Bernie might be doing some things wrong but TA have been handling the whole situation terribly through public channels. Making them look like a boys club

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM   #39

Quote:
^^ Are you a PR spin doctor for Tennis Australia? It's the same with Sam's horrible losses.

Were you at the tie? Because you could see and everyone else see that Rodinova was not fit to play at all after those singles matches, she was horrific.

And Bernie might be doing some things wrong but TA have been handling the whole situation terribly through public channels. Making them look like a boys club
No I'm not a spin doctor for TA, nor for Sam. Sam played an absolute shocker against Zheng, it was a pure choke, as I made clear on the Hardcourt thread. I still don't think the losses in Brisbane and Sydney were chokes. It's the accepted wisdom these days that if Sam loses in Australia it's a choke, but I call them as I see them and I didn't think they were chokes. As I recall most of those on the tread supported that view, and you were the one determined to think the worst of Sam at all costs.

As for TA, I really don't know how their track record in general is. I do know that prior to his relatively good performances in Australia Tomic had earned a name as just about the biggest jerk in world tennis, and deservedly so. You'll have to forgive me for not siding with him against TA on that one.

As to the Ukraine tie, you keep on harping back to the same old story, that you were there and saw that she was not fit to play. You don't address the points I raised at all. I was under the impression that DT was there as well, and when I last checked he's an extremely experienced coach who doesn't suffer from brain damage. Do you seriously think that he didn't notice her injury and take it into account, together with other factors like those I mentioned?

If you want to believe I'm biased be my guest, but take a good look at yourself: at best you're no less inflexible in your opinions than I am in mine. I think you suffer from the common misconception that criticizing everything and everyone is the same as critical thinking. At least I respond to the points you raise, you just try to belittle me for not sharing your opinions.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM   #41
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Aussies could stand a chance here

Kvitova, Safarova, Hlavackova and Hradecka all have had bad starts to the year. Zakopalova had a good week in china but bad weeks in AUS
I wonder who they will put on

As for Australia I also wonder who, imo it would be best to have Sam, Casey, Ash and Jarka would be the best team

If its indoor hard though

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #42
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with all of that. Wonder if they will use Casey or Jarka??

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:29 AM   #43
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, they will use Jarka, she's always done well in Fed Cup.

That means the lineups are mostlikely gonna be

Sam v Kvitova
Jarka v Safarova or Zakopalova
Sam v Safarova or Zakopalova
Jarka v Kvitova
Barty/Dellacqua v Hlavackova/Hradecka

imo, the Aussie team is fine like that. But the Czech captain will have a headache between choosing Lucie or Klara

I predict that
Kvitova d. Sam
Jarka d. Safarova/Zakopalova
Sam d. Safarova/Zakopalova
Kvitova d. Jarka
Hlavackova/Hradecka d. Barty/Dellacqua

I think Petra will win all of her singles considering its indoors
And I think Lucie/Klara will struggle.

If Barty/Dellacqua beat Lepchenko/Zheng today, then they actually might have a chance against Hlavackova/Hradecka.

But I should stop now because they haven't nominated anyone yet

But I would think the 2 teams are mostlikely going to go with that lineup

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:59 AM   #44
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

Quote:
Maybe they should just purchase a groanometer and dispense with the captain altogether

Seriously, one of the things that I always admired about DT as captain is that he didn't allow himself to be swayed too much by expectations of others, he trusted his own judgment. That's what a captain should do IMO, and that's precisely the point on which I have my doubts about Alicia. She's a sweetheart, and may find it difficult to take the tough and unpopular decisions a captain has to take from time to time.

Concerning the Ukraine tie, I think you're making a bit of a caricature of the last rubber. Sure, injury was a factor, but since it wasn't completely debilitating it was just one of a range of factors. Some other things they almost certainly would have taken into account:

* the last rubber was doubles, where hampered movement is less of an issue than in singles.
* Anastasia was the most experienced and accomplished doubles player in the team. That needs to be weighed against the injury, and against the lack of experience of the alternatives. Especially in a decider it's not a crazy thing to put a lot of weight on experience.
* team spirit and player confidence is important, and one of the ways DT tried to bolster that was to back his key players to come good even after a loss, and to give his less experienced players the matches with less pressure. If Rodi said she was fit enough to play, he would take her word for that.

There may well be other factors, these are just the ones that even someone with my limited knowledge and experience can come up with. So I don't think it's quite as obvious that it was a bad decision as you guys are making it out to be.
Seriously, most of us are trying to forget this tie, it was heartbreaking for those that were there, all the girls were devastated and Rodionova was balling her eyes out, she gave it her all, but her body wasn't up to it!

I was working at the tie, and I can tell you DT was at fault here, it was obvious the whole team was angry at him for his Day 2 selections, and since Sam wasn't around there is no rapport with him. You could tell the team blamed him for the loss, as no one sat anywhere near him on the bus back to the hotel.

A smart captain would've played Ferguson or Peers (who had beaten Tsurenko just the week before) in the 2nd singles and rested Rodionova for the doubles, as that is her strength. Instead when the doubles came around she was exhausted after the first set, and we lost the match and tie!
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 02:34 AM   #45
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

Quote:
My opinion of Rafter gets worse every day....
Rafter's always been a racist tool! He always had issues with EuroAussies, first it was Scud, calling him UnAustralian, he's had issues with Matosevic, and now Tomic.

I think its disgraceful the way he's handled Tomic, very unprofessional dealing with it 3rd hand. If he was going to suspend Tomic it needed to be done face to face nehind closed doors, but seriously, how does suspending a player from Davis Cup really have any affect on a player?

As a player too he used to bribe the media by throwing them boozy parties, hence he always got these 'god like reviews and reports'. We all know he has no morals or values after the Pacific Brands scandal where he was quite happy to endorse a company that retrenched all its Aussie employees to set up a sweatshop in Asia.

Rafter is the only Aussie player that I've ever strongly disliked!! He's also done very little for charity, most of what he has done has just been for tax deductions.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote