Fed Cup 2013 - Page 23 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:54 AM   #331
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Barty said she knew 2 hours before the match that she was going to play...Of course Molik could have changed her mind again but it doesn't sound good about Jarka's performance
Yes it may have been pre-planned judging by Alicia's interview. She did mention that Jarka may not have been match fit enough to play two matches in a day, but she also took into account that she may have been 'down' from the loss and that she took that ito account as well.

Either way, good use of the substitute by Alicia. A few years ago before that tule was brought in, Jarka would've had to fake an injury
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM   #332
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Well one swallow doesn't a summer make and all that, so we'll have to wait and see how Ash develops I guess. I expect her to continue to improve, but there's no way of saying how long it's going to take before she starts to produce her best tennis on a consistent basis, or how good her best tennis is going to be.

I also wouldn't write Jarka off just yet. More than anything I think she needs to find her own Dave Taylor. Maybe she never will, and even if she did I don't see her ever being as good as Sam, but if she can find a coach who can help her focus she surely has a good enough game to get back to the top 30 again.

That said, the idea of a Sam-Ash dream team is enticing I must admit. If Ash can continue to improve quickly, next year might provide a unique window of opportunity, where the best Aussie players of their respective generations are both in good form at the same time. Throw in a decent draw and they could go far I think.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #333
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Well one swallow doesn't a summer make and all that, so we'll have to wait and see how Ash develops I guess. I expect her to continue to improve, but there's no way of saying how long it's going to take before she starts to produce her best tennis on a consistent basis, or how good her best tennis is going to be.

I also wouldn't write Jarka off just yet. More than anything I think she needs to find her own Dave Taylor. Maybe she never will, and even if she did I don't see her ever being as good as Sam, but if she can find a coach who can help her focus she surely has a good enough game to get back to the top 30 again.

That said, the idea of a Sam-Ash dream team is enticing I must admit. If Ash can continue to improve quickly, next year might provide a unique window of opportunity, where the best Aussie players of their respective generations are both in good form at the same time. Throw in a decent draw and they could go far I think.
Yes, 9 months is a very long timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You don't want to make too much of one good tie. I wouldn't write anyone off yet , we will see how they perform this year.
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #334

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Our girls have drawn the Russian in February, in Australia. Tough draw, but based on team rankings the alternatives were Serbia, Italy and the Czech Republic, none of which would be much better, if at all.

You'd have to give Ash and Casey a good shot at winning the doubles if necessary (although the Russians are no slouches in doubles either, so they're not a shoe-in by any means). But even if they do, two singles points could be hard to come by, especially given Sam's poor record playing at home.

We really need a second singles player who can deliver a win as well, to take some of the pressure off Sam, but tbh I can't see any of them having a hope in hell of doing so, even if Sharapova doesn't play (I reckon she probably won't).
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #335
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Although its hard to see Maria playing, given that its in Australia just after AO she could consider it.

Its tough but like you say its not like the other teams would be much easier.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #336
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Our best bet might be a fast-improviing Ash/rejuventated Jarka to pull off a surprise win, hope that Sammy can snatch one as well, and then take out the doubles. But Vesnina/Ekat/Petrova/Kirilenko are all great doubles players, so that will be very tough.

@Huntress: Your avatar looks all wrong
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #337
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Our best bet might be a fast-improviing Ash/rejuventated Jarka to pull off a surprise win, hope that Sammy can snatch one as well, and then take out the doubles. But Vesnina/Ekat/Petrova/Kirilenko are all great doubles players, so that will be very tough.

@Huntress: Your avatar looks all wrong
Why?

Id love to see Jarka back but she would literally just be back, would putting her in a Fed Cup tie be wise? Although she tends to do okay in that environment. I know its in Australia but I dont think thats going to get to Sam as much as playing in the AO does since its a team environment. Or maybe Im being hopeful.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #338
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

^ Agree, unless something extraordinary happens between now and Feb, we are on the back foot with this one and I expect we'll be led with Sam and Ash not Jarka and Sam.

With Russia its hard to predict who will represent the team from tie to tie. They have an embarrassment of riches and ex-top 10 players like Petrova, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva (inj) could turn up in February and give us all sorts of trouble.

Anyone remember the last time we played Russia in Australia (Kings Park... I think??) That loss is emblazended on my memory for ever. McQuillan losing to a 16 y/o 400th ranked junior, 12-10 in the third. Kerry Anne Guse leading 3-0 in the final set of her singles and losing, and McQuillan backing up her 1st day loss, by leading 5-0 in the first set and losing in straight! I expect this tie won't be as dramatic as that one.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #339

I think they need to think hard about the venue and surface for this one. I wouldn't necessarily go for clay (are there even any decent clay courts in Australia anyway?), but definitely something slowish and high-bouncing, to give Sam the best possible chance of winning her two matches.

If she can do that we might have a chance, but if not I think the chances are very slim indeed, unless Ash shows some remarkable improvement in singles over the next six months. No way can they expect Jarka to bounce back so soon after her illness and save their arses against opposition of this quality.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #340
louloubelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think they need to think hard about the venue and surface for this one. I wouldn't necessarily go for clay (are there even any decent clay courts in Australia anyway?), but definitely something slowish and high-bouncing, to give Sam the best possible chance of winning her two matches.
Rebound ace! Start melting down those old car tyres again.

Agree they have to be strategic about the surface and venue. Somewhere hot as well, might assist with Sam and her supreme fitness. But nothing screams as obvious....

The 2nd singles player is a real problem and they may just look to the future by blooding Ash again.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Rebound ace! Start melting down those old car tyres again.

Agree they have to be strategic about the surface and venue. Somewhere hot as well, might assist with Sam and her supreme fitness. But nothing screams as obvious....

The 2nd singles player is a real problem and they may just look to the future by blooding Ash again.
Love it!

Yeah, they have nothing to lose by giving Ash a shot at it, and no real alternative. She stuck with Kiri really well at the FO up till darkness intervened at 3-3, played some really beautiful tennis. The rest of the match the next day was shifted to a non-streamed court, which was probably just as well because she got her arse well and truly kicked.

But the point is, she showed she does have the game to trouble top players, she just has trouble maintaining a good level for a full match. The team environment and having Alicia and Nicole to pump her up and give her advice at the change of ends could help that.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #342
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Just put them on some antbed courts in Condobolin so we don't have to see them crash and burn.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #343
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the tie is in Melbourne!

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #344
louloubelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Just put them on some antbed courts in Condobolin so we don't have to see them crash and burn.
Actually it might improve our chances. I can't imagine the two Masha's coping with antbed courts in some of the far-flung places we have the 25K's at. Imagine what the harsh wind would do to their hair. Petrova would go into melt down when she accidently swallows a fly. Kuzzy would probably tank anyway, considering her and Alicia are mates.

Along with the heat, bare courts, and a few crappy line calls thrown in.......we are in with a big chance... I'm gonna email Todd Woodbridge now!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #345

^