Just watched The Hobbit and while it has some flaws the movie is still epic! - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #31
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just watched The Hobbit and while it has some flaws the movie is still epic!

Saw this today and it was great. If it makes any sense, one of the reasons why I wasn't totally crazy about it is because it made me so nostalgic for LOTR and made me wish I was watching that all over again for the first time, especially seeing Elijah Wood and Christopher Lee.

The escape from Goblin City was ludicrous, but I loved the prologue and of course Gollum. Serkis and McKellen were just outstanding, as always.
Advertisement

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #32
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just watched The Hobbit and while it has some flaws the movie is still epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
No, I was talking about Kate from Lost. After she escaped the island the second time, I guess she got into acting.
I didn't even know she was in it.
#flopfan

I'm actually amazed she in particular, and everyone from Lost didn't have more work after it. The range of situations made most actors showcase all of their acting skills IMO, and Evangeline was always fabulous.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #33
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, critics loved the three Lord of the Rings films. Maybe not everyone has the same opinion as you .

(Although I agree, Tree of Life sucked.)
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #34
country flag watchdogfish
Vide cor meum

watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it tonight and it was entertaining. It could've done with a bit of pruning in places and I thought the special effects and CGI were a lot better in the LOTR trilogy which is strange since they were made 10 years ago. I know this sounds stupid but The Hobbit did really feel like a fantasy film, whereas LOTR had sort of a sense of realism.

I did enjoy The Hobbit though, the Gollum scenes were especially good
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #35
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
I didn't even know she was in it.
#flopfan

I'm actually amazed she in particular, and everyone from Lost didn't have more work after it. The range of situations made most actors showcase all of their acting skills IMO, and Evangeline was always fabulous.
Me, too. She's hot and was good in it, I thought she'd get the most work.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #36
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched it. Have to say, I'm disappointed! It's hard to explain why, but I'll give it a go. I guess I found it a bit "cartoonish" - people falling down ravines and getting thrown around by trolls without getting hurt - and at times it felt like I was playing a video game. I also don't think the story or "journey telling" was great, it lacked suspense and the sense of a passage of time. It also seemed a bit rushed, with fabricated actions scenes taking the place of the plot and character development that LOTR did so well! You'd never guess that LOTR and this were both directed by the same person. The Hobbit lost the sense of 'reality' that LOTR had, it's more cheap thrills and commercial than epic.

Having said that some bits were great, I really like the say they've developed the necromancer story line!

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......

Last edited by Sean. : Dec 19th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #37
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olσrin View Post
It is a good film, but I feel it suffers like much art does following a great tradition, and ends up being much too self-referential and self-aware for my taste. The problem was at times it seemed intentional.

Also the run time is at least 20 mins too long. The chase out of goblin-town is like a video game and Thorin's confrontation and Bilbo's intervention against Azog at the end feels so contrived. There should have been more advancing of the plot and less hacking and slashing imo. These two scenes really detracted from the end of the movie to me. I think once I get used to them on repeat viewings I'll be able to enjoy the whole a lot more.

I'm still a bit sceptical about how they're managing to stretch it out for two more films without doing even more of the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Excellent post. I even felt like the characterisation got a bit lost, especially between the main protagonists. Ian Mckellen was superb as expected, but Radagast's character was so cartoonish. I felt it undermined the character development that unfolded so brilliant in the LOTR trilogy. Maybe it will happen in the next two films, but there seemed to be a lot of tedious 'slash and giggle' moments.

Overall though, I really did enjoy it, if only for the swell of nostalgia. And Galadriel>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdogfish View Post
I saw it tonight and it was entertaining. It could've done with a bit of pruning in places and I thought the special effects and CGI were a lot better in the LOTR trilogy which is strange since they were made 10 years ago. I know this sounds stupid but The Hobbit did really feel like a fantasy film, whereas LOTR had sort of a sense of realism.

I did enjoy The Hobbit though, the Gollum scenes were especially good
^^ Should have read the thread first. Perfectly put!

Agreed, McKellen, Blanchett and Serkis were standout!

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #38
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute

I've booked my ticket, I'm very fond of the original trilogy, though Im a little wary about the length of these 3 movies.

That said for me, the Fellowship of the ring was the weakest of the original movies for me, with its job if setting the scene. I expect the next two movies to be better, even this one does turn out to gave its faults.

Btw, anyone know what percentage of cinemas can actually show 48fps? Most critics nay be seeing it in a format many of us won't be seeing.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #39
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely NOT epic by any stretch, but a solid an overall entertaining movie!

I guess I'm in the minority because to me there weren't any sluggish or boring parts. The pacing felt good and it peaked when it needed- I don't have a single complaint about the running time.

I do agree Witt the poster who said it felt cartoonish. It's an adventure movie and I did feel like I was setting sail for a mighty adventure but a few cuts and blood would have done a lot to enhance the realism. It's an adventure movie and knowing that its going to be three movies I think they did a good job of setting things up in the long run.

Grade: B
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 12:07 AM   #40
country flag Julian.
La reine de la terre battue.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Just went to see it in the cinema with my boyfriend today. It was hilarious at times Boring in some parts too, fell asleep in some parts

But overall it was great I guess. The visual effects and pictures are breathtaking!

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr. • graphics thread •
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #41
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Just went to see it in the cinema with my boyfriend today. It was hilarious at times Boring in some parts too, fell asleep in some parts

But overall it was great I guess. The visual effects and pictures are breathtaking!
How can it be great overall if you feel asleep in some parts?

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 02:51 AM   #42
country flag Julian.
La reine de la terre battue.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
How can it be great overall if you feel asleep in some parts?
Because I still enjoyed this movie

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr. • graphics thread •
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM   #43
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
The movie has an epic scope but it's far from epic. Too many cringeworthy moments.
well said. too long, boring and with some shockingly bad CGI it also manifests peter jackson's status as one of the most overrated directors ever.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #44
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Critics should fuck off really, it's one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. I also saw the House Of The Flying Daggers and it's argument was the biggest piece of boring shit ever, but it also was visually stunning so most critics gave good reviews to it. The same logic applies here, and The Hobbit is actually entertaining.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:10 PM   #45
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

The CGI is terrible in this movie...10 years after the original trilogy. It felt like a 3 hour video game with no real storyline.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote