Predict who will win the 2013 head-to-head between Sharapova and Azarenka - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #76
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Maria with her one-dimensional game isn't able to adapt anything.
She sure is able to adapt on every surface though
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #77
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Predict who will win the 2013 head-to-head between Sharapova and Azarenka

Azarenka 4 2 .
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #78
country flag blistering

blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Honestly, I think mental strength is one area where Vika (uncharacteristically) had an edge on Maria in 2012 - that certainly accounted for the result of their US Open match at any rate.

I do agree that in terms of hardcourts, quicker ones favour Vika in this match-up (even though Vika generally is better on slower ones), and so Vika would probably beat Maria on a quick hardcourt (the very few genuinely quick HCs that are left - Stanford, Cincinnati, Beijing, Tokyo etc.) -- but I'm not sure I'd extend this to grass. Vika's footwork and defence is nowhere near as good on grass as it is on hardcourts, and without stellar footwork she becomes less consistent, and without that she's without her main weapon in this match-up. Plus, Maria's serve would get more cheap points / Vika's return would be neutralised a bit.

Also, just to play devil's advocate , although clay probably favours Maria, I'm not convinced that it's TOTALLY nid. Imo people are reading too much into Azarenka's weak performance at RG this year, she did actually play reasonably well at her other two claycourt tournaments this year and I think she will have decent results on it in her career. Even though clay will probably always be the one where Maria matches up best against Vika, I wouldn't necessarily expect Stuttgart-style matches in all their clay matches.

For me, the most encouraging thing about their YEC match was that Maria managed to win even though she wasn't outstanding, she just played tactically the right way. I was getting a little bit worried that she/her coach hadn't actually figured out how to play her at all, and that the Stuttgart and first set of the US Open match were just because Maria was on fire and that she wasn't actually consciously aware of what she was doing -- but the fact that in the YEC match, she wasn't striking the ball as well as she can, yet still won comfortably because she actually had a good gameplan, does give me some hope that they have figured her out since Stuttgart (and that their Beijing match was hopefully a blip).
Well Azarenka does know how to move pretty well on clay (though her timing in that Stuttgart final was rather bizarre, she was sliding way too early into some shots), but it neutralizes a lot of her weaponry, particularly her ability to rush opponents which is at the core of her success in general and in the Sharapova match up specifically.

The issue with grass is Maria's forehand breaking down so easily (she loves hitting her forehands while they're sitting up, contrary to Azarenka who hits them almost half volley style on a consistent basis), but yeah, Azarenka is nowhere near as good a returner on grass as she is on hardcourts. Plus her game is all about timing and hitting the ball earlier, and the roughness and irregularity of the grass does mess it up a bit (her UE count is much, much higher on that surface than on any other).

The YEC match was great from Maria (nowhere near the Stuttgart level, as that probably ranks as one of the best performances of her career), and it also proved the point that Maria absolutely NEEDS her backhand down the line clicking when facing Azarenka. Time and time again, every time Azarenka pushed Maria outwide with her own CC BH, Maria immediately hit down the line (risky, but she was pulling it off consistently), and that exposes Azarenka's vastly overrated side-to-side movement (which isn't even an asset as some make it out to be really). She needs both that shot and her serve clicking when facing Azarenka, otherwise it's a thrashing a la Beijing (I won't count the AO brainfart and the IW final where Maria's footwork was anecdotal to say the least). Speaking of Beijing, I have no idea what happened there. Azarenka played great (probably the best she's played against Maria in any of her matches), but Maria was spraying from her FH so much it was cringeworthy. That miss on set point said it all.
blistering is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #79
country flag mikepails

mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice

if Serena stays at #3 they might not even play in a slam final or many times, since at Australia, Wimbledon, U.S Open Serena is there to beat one in the semis and the other in the final, if both even get that far, thus preventing the meeting. Then at the French Azarenka is doing nothing anyway, regardless what Serena or Maria do. I have no idea how the thread starter thinks they are going to play 7 times and numerous times in slams given Serena's current rank and Serena being a 100% certain win anytime she steps on court with either Maria or Victoria.
mikepails is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #80
country flag blistering

blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light blistering is a glorious beacon of light

People are expecting way too much from Williams. Sure, she'll probably win the fast slams (i.e. USO and Wimbledon), but Azarenka and/or Sharapova will take the other two. Plus regardless of their H2H against Williams, they WILL beat her eventually, unless she goes all part-time on the WTA like she always does. Playing against her regularly can only do good.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #81
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistering View Post
People are expecting way too much from Williams. Sure, she'll probably win the fast slams (i.e. USO and Wimbledon), but Azarenka and/or Sharapova will take the other two. Plus regardless of their H2H against Williams, they WILL beat her eventually, unless she goes all part-time on the WTA like she always does. Playing against her regularly can only do good.
I think people are forgetting that 2013 is a different year, we don't know for sure whether Maria and Vika will be meeting regularly like last year or if Serena will be meeting them regularly either. Another player can emerge and steal everyone's thunder. Unfortunately it's not the norm in the WTA for top players to be meeting each other often, so we'll see what happens next year.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #82
country flag blistering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
I think people are forgetting that 2013 is a different year, we don't know for sure whether Maria and Vika will be meeting regularly like last year or if Serena will be meeting them regularly either. Another player can emerge and steal everyone's thunder. Unfortunately it's not the norm in the WTA for top players to be meeting each other often, so we'll see what happens next year.
Signs were good throughout the entire year though. They're probably DYING to meet each other again and that's great.

Rgarding Williams' dominance, it reminds me a lot of Henin's second half of 2007.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #83
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that's because this forum is fickle and is dominated by WS tards, who can't even grasp that 32 years old player cannot dominate all season long without getting injured or completely burning out... For all the great runs Williams had in the second part of the season, she was a non-factor on slow surfaces earlier in the year and was conserving her energy for fast slams. And even then she could have easily lost a Wimby match to Zheng, who choked like a rookie when she had 3 BP's to go 5-3 up in the final set...of course nobody remembers it now coz their "baby gurl" somehow escaped yet again, but the point still stands. Maria and Vika were both much more consistent and deservedly are ranked 1 and 2 in the world. I personally expect them to play in AO final yet again with Maria taking a revenge this time arround
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #84
country flag blistering

Yeah when was the last time Williams dominated for a whole year anyways? 2002? 2009-2010 doesn't count as she was playing part-time during the bleakest years in WTA history.

I too predict a Vikaria final at the AO. Williams will lose to Kerber in the QFs. Book it.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #85
country flag mikepails

mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice

Serena's record at the Australian Open is far and away the best of any current player. She is far and away the most likely winner of that event. Azarenka is a distant 2nd favorite, and Maria at best a very distant 3rd.
mikepails is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #86
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah when was the last time Williams dominated for a whole year anyways? 2002? 2009-2010 doesn't count as she was playing part-time during the bleakest years in WTA history.

I too predict a Vikaria final at the AO. Williams will lose to Kerber in the QFs. Book it.
And when was the last time Maria even DOMINATED? Maria at ANY age hasn't dominated like Serena did, even this year. So really stop taking diss at Serena.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #87
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Maria with her one-dimensional game isn't able to adapt anything.
Only thing Azarenka adapts are fake injuries and ugliness.
And Radwanska?
Kerber?
Errani?
Kvitova?
Stosur?
Li?

Almost whole WTA is one-dimensional.

C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #88
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

radwanska kvitova and stosur are not one dimentionals.. think of stosur for example.. she can chose how to hit her backhand depending on the match.. radwanska has great hands and use them properly whenever shes confident and kvitova is a great net player.. ill give you errani but thats not even a whole dimension.. more like half

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #89
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Kerber isn't exactly one dimensional.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #90
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo St View Post
radwanska kvitova and stosur are not one dimentionals.. think of stosur for example.. she can chose how to hit her backhand depending on the match.. radwanska has great hands and use them properly whenever shes confident and kvitova is a great net player.. ill give you errani but thats not even a whole dimension.. more like half
"she can chose how to hit her BH"
Yes, when she has time she can try a risky DTL and fails many times. Stole her time she is back to square one. Entirely depends on her opponent. And what can she do?

Radwanska has nice touch and moves well, okay. What else?

Kvitova goes to the net. And? Will she hit less UE? Will she move better?

BS excuses. Most of the players have limited technical and physical skills, limiting their on court strategies.
You dont see Radwanska ballbashing. Everyone is so full with her brilliant touch, do you think she wouldn't trade it for the ability to win actual slams with ballbashing? Or for being 6'-6'2" and have physical advantage?

One-dimensional. 90% or more of the players.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote