East Asia - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 7th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #31
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: East Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
Is that Japan? They love to portray themselves as a victim, but historically they ALWAYS have been aggressors
How can you say that right under a picture of a ruined building from Hiroshima? Just because the Japanese leaders/military did terrible things does that mean all of these civilians deserved to be vaporized, burned and poisoned for generations? Did the infants who perished in the bombing deserve that just because some of those that came before them had committed atrocities.

I can't believe a person would be so indifferent to the suffering of such innocents...or anyone for that matter.

Also, I found that in the museum, the Japanese did not shy away from the events that had led up to WWII. The people who set up that museum did not portray the Japanese as victims. They portrayed the victims as victims - victims before, during and after the war. I found that everything was very tastefully done. The likes of which I've only seen at the Dokumentationszentrum in Nuremberg and The Killing Fields in Cambodia.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #32
country flag McPie
The Saimai Wives

McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute McPie has a reputation beyond repute

man, I'm Southeast Asia

The McFanPage | The McTwit | The McThread 4 | The McList on IMDb | The McTumblr | The McStagram
Proud Older Stepsister of Natasha Nicole, TF Transgender Female Lesbian Duo
McPie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #33
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halardfan View Post
Surely not always? For example the 13th Century Mongol invasions or the attempts by Western nations to "open up" Japan.
Well, Mongol didn't invade Japan, so that's that
West? Yes U.S. did shell some Japanese cities a bit but I was mainly talking about East Asian history

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
How can you say that right under a picture of a ruined building from Hiroshima? Just because the Japanese leaders/military did terrible things does that mean all of these civilians deserved to be vaporized, burned and poisoned for generations? Did the infants who perished in the bombing deserve that just because some of those that came before them had committed atrocities.

I can't believe a person would be so indifferent to the suffering of such innocents...or anyone for that matter.

Also, I found that in the museum, the Japanese did not shy away from the events that had led up to WWII. The people who set up that museum did not portray the Japanese as victims. They portrayed the victims as victims - victims before, during and after the war. I found that everything was very tastefully done. The likes of which I've only seen at the Dokumentationszentrum in Nuremberg and The Killing Fields in Cambodia.
You mean my op was wrong? I don't think so. Of course those citizens in two cities were victims, but it doesn't vitiate my op. Hell everybody suffered, German people too, but that doesn't mean Germany wasn't an aggressor, just a victim, no?

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #34
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPie View Post
man, I'm Southeast Asia
I know, go make your separate SE Asian thread
Thailand, right? They were lucky to escape colonization by Western powers and Japan..but they couldn't escape WWII either, sadly.

And dybbuk, you didn't answer my question When did Korea began to make their distinct literary output? You seem to imply that it was much later than Japan, but I respectfully disagree

For example, Korean literary history wiki link

There are some factual errors there like

"For much of Korea's 3,000 years of literary history, it was written both in Hanja and in the Korean script Hangul." Hangul was made in the early 15th century

But I think this entry is about right;

"Hyangga was the first uniquely Korean form of poetry. Only twenty five survive." Lost so many during the wars, especially that war waged by Japan..

The earliest one is said to have been written in 760. That was earlier than Heian period.

I'm now browsing Korean literature anthology books in Amazon, not very much and the books are pretty thin But I'm interested in the book about Japanese lit. you recommended, should check it out if it's in my local library

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #35
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You mean my op was wrong? I don't think so. Of course those citizens in two cities were victims, but it doesn't vitiate my op. Hell everybody suffered, German people too, but that doesn't mean Germany wasn't an aggressor, just a victim, no?
In response to the picture I posted of the Genbaku Dome in Hiroshima, you said the Japanese tried to "portray" themselves as victims but they were "ALWAYS" aggressors...so, yeah, I question your response. I thought it was extremely tasteless, verging on the callous. Why use the word "portray" and raise the issue of their aggression if you really care about what happened to the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Also, as I mentioned, those who set up and run the museums and various memorials in the Peace Park did/do not address some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese both before and during the war. So, in this context (the only one we've been discussing), your opinion is wrong. A little compassion for fellow human being, irrespective of their nationality, wouldn't go astray.

I've been really missing Korea for the past week...but thanks for helping me to get over it. I'm suddenly reminded of quite a few repugnant remarks I heard after the Tōhoku Earthquake and I suddenly don't miss Korea at all anymore!

Last edited by kwilliams : Dec 7th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #36
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

all right, maybe my posting re: the pic was tactless but I still stand by what I said. Japan was and is NOT like Germany in regard to acknowledging their past aggression. If you can't even acknowledge this basic fact

When I think of Japan in WWII my first image is not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, should I apologize for that?

How about the massive rape of women including Koreans? Did Japan ever offer adequate compensation, in any way?

Sorry, Asians will NEVER forget what Japan did all those years. And since Japan wasn't sincere enough on apologies thereafter..

- Woodrow Wilson
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #37
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Nazi death camp seems trivial compared to this

Unit 731 atrocities

"Initially, the US and Japanese governments denied that atrocities had occurred"

"The key figures in Unit 731 became rather successful after the war. A number held senior university posts in the field of medicine. One headed up a leading Japanese pharmaceutical company while others gained positions such as President of the Japan Medical Association or Vice President if the Green Cross Corporation.

Shiro Ishii died unrepentant in 1959."

Controversy on Yaskuni shrine

"Due to the enshrinement of International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) war criminals and the nationalist approach to the war museum, the Yasukuni Shrine and the Japanese Government have been criticized by China, Korea, and Taiwan as being revisionist and unapologetic about the events of World War II."

Japanese history textbook controversy

""Comfort women" comments
In 2007, former education minister Nariaki Nakayama declared he was proud that the Liberal Democratic Party had succeeded in getting references to "wartime sex slaves" struck from most authorized history texts for junior high schools. "Our campaign worked, and people outside government also started raising their voices."[19] He also declared that he agreed with an e-mail sent to him saying that the "victimized women in Asia should be proud of being comfort women".[20]"

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 7th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #38
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute

Korea is benefiting so much economically from both China and Japan, how can the government and people show so much hatred towards both countries is beyond me.

From a Taiwanese standpoint:

Japan -
We admire the Japanese for their culture and technological advancement. Both countries share mutual respect for each other since the end of WWII. This is why Taiwanese culture is so similar to the Japanese. Also our older generation can speak Japanese from when Japan colonized Taiwan, and our younger generation has great interest in learning Japanese from Japanese pop culture.

China - Although we speak the same language, and our KMT government want us to identify ourselves as ethnic Chinese, mainland Chinese people are not seen in a positive light by the Taiwanese people. They are very rude, loud and do not have manners. Japan and Korea may look down on China because of the way they look or act, but for Taiwan it is different because we share the same language. Beijing accent is looked down upon in Taiwan (often laughed at). When a foreigner speaks in a Beijing accent in Taiwan, and a Taiwanese compliments them on their "very accurate" (準確) accent, do not take it as a compliment!

South Korea - S.Korea is our rival in Asia, as we were both part of the "Asian Tigers." Korean businesses are known to have bullied Taiwan businesses, whereas Japanese businesses have worked very closely with Taiwanese businesses triggers the competitiveness. KPop is big in Asia, even in Taiwan but in Taiwan we get the impression that South Korea is the land of plastic surgery and fakeness. Also their overall attitude seem very "cold", much like China. For example, when you enter a store or restaurant in Taiwan, the employees greet you, welcomes you in, they say 欢迎光临, which literally means "we welcome the light that you bring." This is the same in Japan ( いらしゃいます). However, Koreans and the Chinese do not do the same and do not give off the same "vibe" so to speak that the Taiwanese and Japanese people do. Even when the Chinese TRIES to copy the Taiwanese greeting they just don't seem to do it RIGHT.

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #39
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
all right, maybe my posting re: the pic was tactless but I still stand by what I said. Japan was and is NOT like Germany in regard to acknowledging their past aggression. If you can't even acknowledge this basic fact

Sorry, Asians will NEVER forget what Japan did all those years. And since Japan wasn't sincere enough on apologies thereafter..
Quote:
Who says I can't acknowledge this fact?

Rather than acknowledge the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - you said the Japanese try to portray themselves as victims and were always aggressors. You clearly weren't interested in sympathising with the men, women, children, foreign POWs or even the Koreans who were killed in the bombing. Instead you used my posting as an opportunity to possibly imply that the Japanese capitalise on this to gloss over the wrongs that they have committed OR to move the conversation in a different direction (perhaps because you want the Japanese to be portrayed in a certain way in this thread)

So, I chose not to acknowledge some of the valid things you have mentioned because I felt you weren't really acknowledging what I had mentioned. I don't think you were interested in what I was saying at all. I would have been willing to broaden the context of our discussion had you simply acknowledged that the victims of the atomic bombings were innocent victims! You didn't want to discuss them. You just wanted to discuss the Japanese (or rather their government and military)

If it makes you feel any better, I am well aware of some/many of the sadistic acts that Japanese soldiers were responsible for. One of the greatest things I regret not doing in Korea is visiting the comfort women in Seoul (I was always unsure of how appropriate it was for men to visit them, particularly non-Korean speaking men)

Furthermore, I understand your feelings on the matter. I always found it quite easy to identify with Koreans because Korean history and Irish history have many parallels. I understand that it can be difficult to let go of certain feelings when you feel that people don't really care about the things that have happened in your country - responsibility/accountability would be nice but you'd settle for acknowledgement - when you feel that people want to downplay past events or even try to excuse them, rather than acknowledge them just so that people can move on let go.

However, if you can't separate what governments/military do from what civilians do - then I don't know what to say to you. You can't blame every single Japanese person past and/or present for the wrongs that some, or even many committed. There were possibly or even probably a significant number of Japanese people that suffered considerably under their own government and the rigidity of their own social structure. They and their descendants do not deserve anything other than sympathy. It's sad if you can't see that, if you'd rather try to create opportunities to blame indescriminantly...because that's a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? What's an acceptable level and what isn't?

Let me put it to you this way. Just 20 years after Ireland became free (and also divided) after centuries of oppression and uncountable atrocities, tens of thousands of Irishmen voluntarily enlisted in the British Army (yes, the British army) to fight Nazism. No real efforts had been made to make amends, unfavourable terms of the treaty were still in place and equality for Irish people living in Northern Ireland was still just a dream but a huge number of men joined the army (and took considerable flack for it at home both before and after the war) to work together and stand up for what was right. This was less than a full generation later. After centuries of oppression, these men were untainted, their humanity was very much intact. Many others in Ireland had obviously been hardened and would have had little to no sympathy for what the British were going through - probably even to the civilians who were suffering in the UK. Though, that's understandable in a way, it's not justified. Most of the civilians who were suffering were working class people and neither they or their ancestors had any involvement in the oppression of Ireland or would have benefited from it. Did those civilians not deserve sympathy? Shouldn't their suffering have been widely acknowledged? I doubt it was and Dublin was bombed during the war too (it was mistaken for Belfast) so some would've understood what British civilians were going through.

I'm glad that a significantly number of men could swallow some pretty bitter feelings to do what was right!!

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #40
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

I had a client once who was from Taiwan. He said all the Asian guys cheat on their wives, and the wives know it and depending on the culture, they accept it in varying degrees. I can't remember each of what he said, but he said the Japanese wife will stay up waiting for the cheater and have a bath drawn, the Chinese wife will be awake but pretend to be asleep and never say a word. I don't know that the other women do, I can't remember. He didn't appear to be kidding.

Also, we spent a few days in Korea, his Korean business contacts said it's a huge status symbol to be half Caucasian, and they are called "Ko-Mericans" and it's a big deal. His fiancé also cut up his food and fed it to him at the restaurant at the table. This couple was well into their 30s.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #41
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHart View Post
Korea is benefiting so much economically from both China and Japan, how can the government and people show so much hatred towards both countries is beyond me.
That's because you're quite ignorant of history, hon

Quote:

South Korea - S.Korea is our rival in Asia, as we were both part of the "Asian Tigers." Korean businesses are known to have bullied Taiwan businesses, whereas Japanese businesses have worked very closely with Taiwanese businesses triggers the competitiveness. KPop is big in Asia, even in Taiwan but in Taiwan we get the impression that South Korea is the land of plastic surgery and fakeness. Also their overall attitude seem very "cold", much like China. For example, when you enter a store or restaurant in Taiwan, the employees greet you, welcomes you in, they say 欢迎光临, which literally means "we welcome the light that you bring." This is the same in Japan ( いらしゃいます). However, Koreans and the Chinese do not do the same and do not give off the same "vibe" so to speak that the Taiwanese and Japanese people do. Even when the Chinese TRIES to copy the Taiwanese greeting they just don't seem to do it RIGHT.
land of fakeness I thought Taiwan was famous for piracy, they do seem to excel in making imitation products. It's like pot calling kettle black

YOU seem to have an inordinate hatred toward Korea
, wasn't it you that made a denigrating comment during an Olympic thread? Should try to find that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonHart View Post
GG South Korea, nation of cheaters

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 8th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #42
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Who says I can't acknowledge this fact?

Rather than acknowledge the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - you said the Japanese try to portray themselves as victims and were always aggressors. You clearly weren't interested in sympathising with the men, women, children, foreign POWs or even the Koreans who were killed in the bombing. Instead you used my posting as an opportunity to possibly imply that the Japanese capitalise on this to gloss over the wrongs that they have committed OR to move the conversation in a different direction (perhaps because you want the Japanese to be portrayed in a certain way in this thread)
The bolded part. You got it right. I was exactly implying that. It's a fact. I thought you knew it. Really Truman made a tremendous mistake. Not only did he make a decision that killed INNOCENT LIVES, he gave Japan sort of an 'excuse', again, your bolded part accurately captures the Jap gov's intention.

Quote:

Furthermore, I understand your feelings on the matter. I always found it quite easy to identify with Koreans because Korean history and Irish history have many parallels. I understand that it can be difficult to let go of certain feelings when you feel that people don't really care about the things that have happened in your country - responsibility/accountability would be nice but you'd settle for acknowledgement - when you feel that people want to downplay past events or even try to excuse them, rather than acknowledge them just so that people can move on let go.
Again, you got it right. The bolded part. That's EXACTLY the reason why there's still tensions about WWII. Japan isn't SINCERE about their past aggression. That's why Asians just can't trust Japan(Except, of course, LeonHart )

Quote:
However, if you can't separate what governments/military do from what civilians do - then I don't know what to say to you. You can't blame every single Japanese person past and/or present for the wrongs that some, or even many committed. There were possibly or even probably a significant number of Japanese people that suffered considerably under their own government and the rigidity of their own social structure. They and their descendants do not deserve anything other than sympathy. It's sad if you can't see that, if you'd rather try to create opportunities to blame indescriminantly...because that's a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? What's an acceptable level and what isn't?
When did I blame innocent Japanese people? Of course when I say Japan, I'm implying Japanese government. I know modern Japanese history sufficiently enough to know that their society wasn't as totalitarian as it seems to be and there was significant oppositions, politically and socially, against the imperialist movement.

Of course everybody should deplore the atomic bombings and feel sympathy for the victims of that. As I said before, I was tactless to reply quoting the picture and I apologize for that.

Quote:
Let me put it to you this way. Just 20 years after Ireland became free (and also divided) after centuries of oppression and uncountable atrocities, tens of thousands of Irishmen voluntarily enlisted in the British Army (yes, the British army) to fight Nazism. No real efforts had been made to make amends, unfavourable terms of the treaty were still in place and equality for Irish people living in Northern Ireland was still just a dream but a huge number of men joined the army (and took considerable flack for it at home both before and after the war) to work together and stand up for what was right. This was less than a full generation later. After centuries of oppression, these men were untainted, their humanity was very much intact. Many others in Ireland had obviously been hardened and would have had little to no sympathy for what the British were going through - probably even to the civilians who were suffering in the UK. Though, that's understandable in a way, it's not justified. Most of the civilians who were suffering were working class people and neither they or their ancestors had any involvement in the oppression of Ireland or would have benefited from it. Did those civilians not deserve sympathy? Shouldn't their suffering have been widely acknowledged? I doubt it was and Dublin was bombed during the war too (it was mistaken for Belfast) so some would've understood what British civilians were going through.

I'm glad that a significantly number of men could swallow some pretty bitter feelings to do what was right!!
I'm not sure what your example signifies Are you saying that Koreans should've forgone the brutal colonial rule and followed Japan's WWII slogan of 'Great Asia Prosperity Sphere' and fight alongside Japan during the War?

As I said repeatedly, Japan apparently isn't sincere about their past aggression. If they're not, why should Asians, say, 'love' Japan?

If a rapist isn't sincere about apology on rape, should the victim wholeheartedly embrace the rapist and love him? Christian love? I think that's a more accurate analogy

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 8th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #43
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

" It represented the desire to create a self-sufficient "bloc of Asian nations led by the Japanese and free of Western powers" "

"Konoe planned the Sphere in 1940 in an attempt to create a Great East Asia, comprising Japan, Manchukuo, China, and parts of Southeast Asia, that would, according to imperial propaganda, establish a new international order seeking "co prosperity" for Asian countries which would share prosperity and peace, free from Western colonialism and domination.[6] Military goals of this expansion included naval operations in the Indian Ocean and the isolation of Australia.[7] This would enable the principle of hakkō ichiu.[8]

This was one of a number of slogans and concepts used in the justification of Japanese aggression in East Asia in the 1930s through the end of World War II. The term "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" is remembered largely as a front for the Japanese control of occupied countries during World War II, in which puppet governments manipulated local populations and economies for the benefit of Imperial Japan."

Apparently, Western colonialism was bad but Japanese colonialism was ok, since they were the same Asians

"It explicitly states the superiority of the Japanese over other Asian races and suggests that the Sphere was merely propaganda intended to mask Japan's true intention of domination over Asia.[20]

China and other Asian nations were regarded as too weak and lacking in unity to be treated as equal partners.[21] The booklet Read This and the War is Won—for the Japanese army—presented colonialism as a tiny group of colonists living in luxury by burdening Asians, because ties of blood connect them to Japanese, and Asians had been weakened by colonialism, it was Japan's place to "make men of them again." "

Japanese racism at work

"The negative connotations that still attach to the term "Greater East Asia" (大東亜) remain one of a number of difficulties facing the annual East Asia Summits[citation needed], begun in 2005 to discuss the possibility of the establishment of a stronger, more united East Asian Community."

- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Dec 8th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #44
country flag LeonHart

LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute LeonHart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's because you're quite ignorant of history, hon

land of fakeness I thought Taiwan was famous for piracy, they do seem to excel in making imitation products. It's like pot calling kettle black

YOU seem to have an inordinate hatred toward Korea
, wasn't it you that made a denigrating comment during an Olympic thread? Should try to find that one.
I do like not Koreans because they are ALWAYS the ones sucking up to China on the global stage. In history and now. They are more like China than even Taiwan and we are "taught" to be Chinese by our government. In case you didn't know China has the #2 World Economy...who's on top and who's on the bottom? So what makes you think Koreans have to right to "look down" on the Chinese. Taiwan the land of imitation? Look at Koreans claiming they hate the Japanese yet completely imitate Japanese pop culture. Like the Chinese, they always site back to history for their hatred towards the Japanese...and gives them the excuse to pick on the Japanese on the world stage. Sad! In modern times the Japanese have done nothing but to help Korea succeed.

Also if you think Taiwan is the land of imitation product you obviously know ZILCH about Taiwan. Seeing as you completely skipped Taiwan in your original post, I'd say go figure.

Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #45
country flag LeonHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I had a client once who was from Taiwan. He said all the Asian guys cheat on their wives, and the wives know it and depending on the culture, they accept it in varying degrees. I can't remember each of what he said, but he said the Japanese wife will stay up waiting for the cheater and have a bath drawn, the Chinese wife will be awake but pretend to be asleep and never say a word. I don't know that the other women do, I can't remember. He didn't appear to be kidding.

Also, we spent a few days in Korea, his Korean business contacts said it's a huge status symbol to be half Caucasian, and they are called "Ko-Mericans" and it's a big deal. His fiancé also cut up his food and fed it to him at the restaurant at the table. This couple was well into their 30s.
Just as in Western and Middle Eastern history (even now in the Middle East), men with power and money had many wives with many children. To my knowledge, polygamy is illegal in most of Asia now (actually not even sure where it is legal in Asia anymore). Also, at least in Chinese culture, it is considered a shame to be divorced. This is why many people would rather commit suicide than to divorce their once loved ones...which is completely opposite in Western Society.