Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight---Homophobic? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is forcing two boys to hold hands in front of students homophobic?

Yes 8 47.06%
No 4 23.53%
Maybe----depends on the motives of the principal 5 29.41%
I need to read more information 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
country flag Flavia P.

Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of
Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight---Homophobic?

http://www.kpho.com/story/20224198/p...ment-for-fight

The idea of public humiliation as an appropriate punishment is certainly a controversial topic.
A couple of Westwood High School Warriors were humbled after a fight, and pictures of the high school boys holding hands as punishment and covering their heads are all over Facebook.

One of those young men is 14-year-old Charles Crockett, who admitted to ditching classes at the Mesa school Thursday because he said everyone was still teasing him about it.

He said the ordeal started in P.E. class Wednesday.

"I told him to hit me and he hit me and we all started fighting," Charles said.

The freshman said he and a sophomore named Julio were sent to Principal Tim Richard's office, where he gave the boys a clear choice.

"The principal told us options and so we picked holding hands instead of getting suspended," Crockett said.

The two locked palms for about an hour in the middle of campus during lunch while the entire student body witnessed their humiliation.

"I thought it was, like, really funny because you never see that nowadays. They're just sitting there. They're both, like, so ashamed and their heads down," freshman Stella Nunez said.

"They was making fun of me and everything and I just wanted to yell at them but I couldn't. I just put my head down," Crockett said.

The choice to hold hands was painful, he said.

"Kids were laughing at them and calling them names asking, 'Are you gay?'" student Brittney Smyers told ABC 15.

"They did get laughed at. And that's a hard thing for a kid to be laughed at," said parent Terri Egger.

But for Crockett at least, the alternative was worse.

"Because I'm on a contract with the principal and if I fight again I have to switch schools," Crockett said.

The situation has pushed Westwood's first-year principal into the spotlight.

"I think he's great," Egger said.

CBS 5 News found a sign in a front yard near the high school which reads, "Westwood neighborhood supports Principal Richard."

The neighborhood might support the principal's tactic, but the school district does not.

Mesa Public Schools released a statement which reads in part:

"The district does not condone the choice of in-school discipline given these students, regardless of their acceptance or willingness to participate. District leadership will address this matter with the school principal, and review district protocol regarding student discipline with all administrators."

Nevertheless, the lesson taught at Westwood on Wednesday was not lost.

CBS 5 News asked Crockett what he learned from the whole incident. "Don't fight in school," he said.

Last edited by Flavia P. : Dec 2nd, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Flavia P. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #2
country flag Flavia P.

Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of Flavia P. has much to be proud of
Re: Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight---Homopho

You see the story and the poll, people. What do you think? Personally, I think it's completely and utterly disgusting and I and thousands of others are seeing to it that Tim Richards is fired. But what do you all think? A lot of people seem to be completely blind to the clear homophobia at play so I want to see if a forum with tons of gay men and straight girls who love us, will get it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:28 AM   #3
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight---Homopho

GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is. If the boys are straight, then this is humiliating and is a form a punishment. I don't think it's sending the message to them or others that being gay is bad. Holding hands with another guy when you're straight is bad when you're forced to do it, and he did something to merit that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:33 AM   #5
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I don't think it is. If the boys are straight, then this is humiliating and is a form a punishment. I don't think it's sending the message to them or others that being gay is bad. Holding hands with another guy when you're straight is bad when you're forced to do it, and he did something to merit that.
Isn't that whole thinking, that it's something humiliating, part of the problem though? A gay boy wouldn't be humiliated by having to hold a girl's hand, and a girl wouldn't be humiliated by having to hold a girl's hand. Yet society thinks it's normal for a straight boy to be humiliated by something like this. The entire idea being perpetuated is homophobic, and doing this reinforces it.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:36 AM   #6
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow , I can't believe a principal would do that
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM   #7
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Isn't that whole thinking, that it's something humiliating, part of the problem though? A gay boy wouldn't be humiliated by having to hold a girl's hand, and a girl wouldn't be humiliated by having to hold a girl's hand. Yet society thinks it's normal for a straight boy to be humiliated by something like this. The entire idea being perpetuated is homophobic, and doing this reinforces it.
I agree.

If the idea behind holding hands had to do with "bringing them together" or something to that effect, it would be a different story. Clearly that was not the case.
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:40 AM   #8

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Straight boys don't hold hands. Even the most gay-friendly straight guys I know don't hold hands. I don't think it's homophobia.

If you're against a humiliating punishment, then that's the issue, but I don't think it's homophobic.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:42 AM   #9
country flag debopero

debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute debopero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Straight boys don't hold hands. Even the most gay-friendly straight guys I know don't hold hands. I don't think it's homophobia.

If you're against a humiliating punishment, then that's the issue, but I don't think it's homophobic.
Actually, many straight male friends I have a very touchy with other young men they are close with. Maybe it is just something within my age group . Plus, I think you need to consider why two men holding hands is considered to be bad in the first place if you want to evaluate whether the punishment is homophobic in nature.
debopero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #10
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

They did to me all the time when I was a child, sometimes they would make us hug, hold hands, things like that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:50 AM   #11

I don't think anyone thinks it's bad, but it's not what straight guys do. Having two girls who don't know each other hold hands can be just as bad. I just don't see it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM   #12
country flag Flavia P.

Schools should not be in the business of promoting an idea that being gay is socially undesirable, weird, embarrassing and humiliating. Schools should not be promoting homophobia. This is promoting and reinforcing homophobia for that reason. And yes, these kids do think being gay is bad, hence they were making fun of these two guys holding hands with gay slurs. Hence, the two boys holding hands feel publicly shamed. All of these kids think same-sex affection is worthy of derision, and the principal put the seal of approval on that mentality.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:40 AM   #13
country flag Flavia P.

It's also selfish and a decision clearly not thinking about the non-heterosexual teens at that school. Two boys who are GAY may hold hands at that school. What happens then? We already see what kids think about two boys holding hands. I mean, the fact that two people of the same-sex is presented as a PUNISHMENT is homophobic in itself.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #14
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks it's bad, but it's not what straight guys do. Having two girls who don't know each other hold hands can be just as bad. I just don't see it.
If they were forced to hold hands with some random girl they possibly don't like, yes, they wouldn't like it simply because they don't like being forced to touch strangers/someone they dislike. It would not be because they are embarrassed or humiliated by holding hands with a girl. The punishment in this case is being used because society thinks boys holding hands is embarrassing because of course to a straight boy being thought of as gay is undesirable. The difference between the two situations is obvious, and the problem with the latter is obvious as well.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15

I think it's socially undesirable if they are straight, not gay. I just don't think it's that big a deal.