Players playing at their peak and still losing the match - Page 17 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #241
country flag mikepails

mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice mikepails is just really nice
Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match

The Venus-Clijsters U.S Open quarterfinal in 2005 was a pretty good match. Not great but pretty good. Both had similar W-UE stats with the way those two defend is very good and quite rare in their encounters.
mikepails is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #242
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
Yup. What a lot of people on here don't realize is that a 15 minute highlight reel does not equal a great match. The 2005 US Open QF between Clijsters and Venus was a shitfest of epic proportions but some people on here have made it out to be some sort of classic.
It's not a classic, far from it, but the sporadic passages of play when the athleticism and shot-making was at a ridiculous high, is well worth recognition.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #243
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute

Myskina losing 76 in the third to JHH, Eastbourne Final 2006

Nastya was hitting huge during the grass season that year.
That was some of the best tennis I've ever seen her play.

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #244
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Woz

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #245
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis-Pierce Canadian Open 1999. Pierce hit 41 winners and 12 UEs and Martina still won
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #246
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
Hingis-Pierce Canadian Open 1999. Pierce hit 41 winners and 12 UEs and Martina still won
Brad peak Pierce NEVER loses.... She was just a level below her peak

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #247
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
In straights at that. Oh my, maybe I should watch that match some day.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #248
country flag Nalby fan

Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold Nalby fan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Myskina losing 76 in the third to JHH, Eastbourne Final 2006

Nastya was hitting huge during the grass season that year.
That was some of the best tennis I've ever seen her play.
Glad someone mentioned this match.Having previously thought that Nastya was a non-factor on grass due to her dodgy serve,I was in awe of how well she played.

She looked damn sexy as well.
Nalby fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #249
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalby fan View Post
Glad someone mentioned this match.Having previously thought that Nastya was a non-factor on grass due to her dodgy serve,I was in awe of how well she played.

She looked damn sexy as well.
Nastya was always at her best on fast surfaces : grass and indoors

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #250
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
Woz

The very first point on the highlights shows whats wrong with Woz.

Loopy forehand from Woz opens up the point for Li and she closes it out.

The story of Woz's career in a nutshell.
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #251
country flag starbucks27

starbucks27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wozniacki has probably played about 100 peak matches and still lost.
starbucks27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #252
deliverance.

deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future deliverance. has a brilliant future

Cadantu vs. Sharapova FO 2012.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #253
country flag Queen_Vee_92

Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Venus's W-UE differential was about -20 or something in that match, iirc.

I don't think her match against Kim in '09 was particularly great, but their '10 match was definitely as well as she's played away from grass post-2003. Her ballstriking was unbelievably crisp, and it was one of those rare matches where her defence was an asset. Her so-called "choke" has also been overstated -- apart from those 2 DFs in the 2nd-set tiebreak (and, let's face it, how many big matches has Venus actually had where she hasn't thrown in some DFs at crucial times), it's not like she collapsed in a mountain of unforced errors at all.

No offense, because i actually agree with your original post that Vee/Clijsters 05 QF is (for 2 sets anyway) a peak loss by Venus Williams post ab injury, but the 2010 match was so far removed from peak Venus it's not even funny.

Look back at the 2010 Open and look at who Venus played to reach the semi. In the Vinci, Marino and Minella matches the gulf in class was too much regardless of Vee's form, and tbf she actually looked better early on anyway, playing a good match against an inspired Marino in R2. Then she plays Peer and Schiavone, 2 opponents who if Venus fans were cherry picking R4 and QF opponents would be first choice! Basically it was a cakewalk if ever Venus had one, Clijsters in the semis would have been the only tough match she had to play.

Now look at the highlights of the match and honestly tell me that Venus movement is anywhere near her best, she hadn't played since Wimbledon and went on to have surgery straight after the tournament because of a knee issue and it shows, there are a couple of times where she can't chase down basic shots from Kim. The only reason her defense looked good is because Kim herself was playing average tennis and was hitting with little width to move venus around.

Still on the highlights, look at the length and pace Venus is getting on the ball and compare it with the 05 match or most other hard court matches she's played 03-10. There are a handful of big winners, and one point near getting the first break in the opening set that she consistently hits big from the baseline. Apart from that the length is poor, she's not actually dictating but rallying with Kim, and in the third when she's forced to attack more her approach shots are mediocre. No way is this a good performance from Venus, and that doesn't even take into consideration the enormous choke.

Quote:
Each tournament is important for me, ... Each tournament would do something to my ranking and such kind of thing, step forward for the future. Also I think it's the opportunity, the opportunity to do what I love, to play my best, to play for the people who appreciate what I do.
(Venus Williams)
Queen_Vee_92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #254
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

So many Jankovic matches TBH.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #255
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Shahar Peer loss vs Serena Williams 2007 AO QF - rewatching the highlights last night, I couldn't believe how hard she was hitting some of her forehands and her backhand looked so much stronger than I've seen it in a few years. Definitely a peak match from her with lots of help from Serena.