Your Favorite Sharapova-Serena 'battle'. - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which was your favorite encounter?

2004 YEC Final- 46 62 64 Maria 17 11.64%
2005 Australian Open Semifinal- 26 75 86 Serena 114 78.08%
2008 Charleston Quarterfinal-75 46 61 Serena 5 3.42%
2010 Wimbledon Rd16-76(119) 64 Serena 10 6.85%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:05 AM   #31
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your Favorite Sharapova-Serena 'battle'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
No. The YEC 2004 match was MUCH higher-quality than the AO2005 match. Both finished the match with good W-UE ratios in the YEC (compared to both having deeply negative ratios in the AO match). The 3rd set of their YEC match was particularly fantastic -- even though Serena had no serve, off the ground she was playing vintage "Shock and Awe" tennis, but Maria managed to overcome it by digging INCREDIBLY deep and playing far more absorbing rallies than anything the AO match produced. The AO match was a shitfest as both were well below good form all tournament (Maria lost a set to Farina Elia at that tournament iirc and barely scraped past Kuznetsova in the QFs). It was an entertaining match because of the intensity and what was at stake, but the quality was atrocious.

Anyway, it's a shame these two have only played 2 matches where they were both somewhere near their best (their YEC matches in 2004 and 2012 -- the former being Maria's A game vs Serena's B game, the latter being Serena's A-game versus Maria's B-game). Hopefully at some point they both bring their A-games against eachother
How was 2004 Serena's B game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:19 AM   #32
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

The poll says it all.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM   #33
country flag Brad[le]y.
Wingis <3

Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute Brad[le]y. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No. The YEC 2004 match was MUCH higher-quality than the AO2005 match. Both finished the match with good W-UE ratios in the YEC (compared to both having deeply negative ratios in the AO match). The 3rd set of their YEC match was particularly fantastic -- even though Serena had no serve, off the ground she was playing vintage "Shock and Awe" tennis, but Maria managed to overcome it by digging INCREDIBLY deep and playing far more absorbing rallies than anything the AO match produced. The AO match was a shitfest as both were well below good form all tournament (Maria lost a set to Farina Elia at that tournament iirc and barely scraped past Kuznetsova in the QFs). It was an entertaining match because of the intensity and what was at stake, but the quality was atrocious.

Anyway, it's a shame these two have only played 2 matches where they were both somewhere near their best (their YEC matches in 2004 and 2012 -- the former being Maria's A game vs Serena's B game, the latter being Serena's A-game versus Maria's B-game). Hopefully at some point they both bring their A-games against eachother
How was 2004 YEC Serena's B game? She couldn't even serve properly
Brad[le]y. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:39 AM   #34
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Serena was severely hampered in 2004 YEC. The AO was better, you didn't know who was going to win that match.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #35
country flag MyskinaManiac

MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future MyskinaManiac has a brilliant future

What battle? Serena has Sharapova all but sorted out.
MyskinaManiac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 04:23 AM   #36
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:

Oh wow! I actually felt YEC2012 finals was Sharapova's best chance to beat Serena; the indoor conditions and slow courts favored her serving & setting up her shots, besides she was in great form heading into the finals. IMO YEC2012 was Maria's best results against Serena in terms of both score and overall stats since Wimbledon 2010. I think we're past that time when "both are somewhere near their best" ...its now more like who has figured out the other's game & can read it well
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #37
Trickle
Cetkovstan

Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2005... without a doubt. The match was fierce. Both hitting really great shots. Both had that fighting spirit in them. The intensity was electric.
Trickle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #38
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

2005 AO SF - great match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetadri06 View Post
Serena was severely hampered in 2004 YEC. The AO was better, you didn't know who was going to win that match.
He doesn't like the AO match. It made him hole up in his room for days.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #39
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

'04 YEC, Serena was clearly injured...so how can you say that was her B-game?!
Anyways, glad to see that as usual you're the only deluded Mashatard who claims that '04 YEC was better than '05 oz open. Stop staring so blindly at just stats.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #40
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
They were both only good in patches but the AO SF was far more memorable for me. They never played well at the same time at the YEC in 04.
Yeah the last set in OZ 2005 was quite good, there was just one service break before Maria served for the match. The first set was horrible from Serena though she was forcing her forehands like crazy, Maria didn't have to do much to get the lead but she was quite good on her own service games.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM   #41
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The first set set was atrocious but like I said, I found the last set quite good.
And Maria wasn't that bad against Kuz, after losing the first set she took the lead quite easily (6-2 in the second set) and even served for the match at 5-1 in the last set, I wouldn't say that she barely scraped Kuz beside I think Kuz was always a tough opponent for Maria on slow HC so 2 and 2 in the last two sets deserve a mention.
But I agree to say that Maria was indeed up and down the whole tournament, don't know if it was because the pressure was huge on her shoulders and that after winning Wimbledon and YEC she was the huge fave to win this but she definitely wasn't herself in many matches she basically lost all sets who were very closed in every meeting, I wasn't THAT surprised when she lost 75 and 86 to Serena, you could see in her first matches that she just couldn't win the closed sets.

Last edited by doomsday : Dec 2nd, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #42
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSequoia01 View Post
Definitely AO 05, was so tired of Carillo constantly saying how much greater Maria was than Serena, even after Serena won would not shutup about it.

THIS.

Carillo was such a PRESSED BITCH. When Serena finally started to bring her A game in that match. She went quiet.

That bitch has always hated Serena. She had such a fake smile at USO 12 when Serena was collecting her winners trophy.

Quote:

Anyway, it's a shame these two have only played 2 matches where they were both somewhere near their best (their YEC matches in 2004 and 2012 -- the former being Maria's A game vs Serena's B game, the latter being Serena's A-game versus Maria's B-game). Hopefully at some point they both bring their A-games against each other
YEC 2004 was hardly high quality. 2005 SF AUSO WAS. Serena's mental strength completely damaged Maria.

Sweetie no. Serena had NO serve whatsoever. How was that her B GAME? More like C-.

2012 Olympics was Serena's A Game Vs Maria's A Game. Maria was playing perfectly fine in that match and throughout the whole tournament. Her "A" Game just isn't a match for Serena's A Game.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM   #43
country flag doomsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post
2012 Olympics was Serena's A Game Vs Maria's A Game. Maria was playing perfectly fine in that match and throughout the whole tournament. Her "A" Game just isn't a match for Serena's A Game.
Serena was more bothered with her hair because of the wind than by Maria.
Serena was great in OG2012 but let's not pretend that Maria's A game should win just 1 game over Serena, that's just not possible anyway I think we all noticed that you're just a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #44
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

I miss 2005.
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #45
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Serena was more bothered with her hair because of the wind than by Maria.
Serena was great in OG2012 but let's not pretend that Maria's A game should win just 1 game over Serena, that's just not possible anyway I think we all noticed that you're just a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Why isn't it possible? Was Masha injured during the Olympics final?

Masha was in PERFECT form, she just couldn't handle Serena at her very best. You'll make excuses all the time Masha gets her ass whopped by Serena. You claim Masha was playing her "B" game during the Olympics final. I'd like to know what her A game is between an A game Serena then. Maybe 3 games more?

If her B game can only win her 1 game point.