Should Incorrect 2-1 SRs be Counted in the Case of a Retirement? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Incorrect 2-1 SRs be Counted in the case of Retirement?

Yes 5 10.20%
No 32 65.31%
Only if the winner is already a set up 12 24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Should Incorrect 2-1 SRs be Counted in the Case of a Retirement?

Should such SRs be counted? Yes, no, or only in situations where the winning player is at least a set up?

The current rule:

in case of retirements, SRs never count.

eg

petrova def kuznetsova 6-3 4-0 ret

player A picks kuznetsova 2-0
player B picks kuznetsova 2-1

player B DOES NOT gain an advantage from his 2-1 pick as the match ended in retirement.

if such picks were allowed, then player B would gain credit for his incorrect 2-1 pick.

a third option would be to allow incorrect 2-1s to count only where the winning player is already a set up. this would give player B the advantage in my example but rules out cases of pure luck

eg

petrova def kuznetsova 1-1 ret
OR
petrova def kuznetsova 0-6 0-3 ret

player A picks kuznetsova 2-0
player B picks kuznetsova 2-1

with the third option, player B wouldn't get credit for his incorrect 2-1 pick as petrova was not a set up at the time of retirement.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
country flag saarsngg

saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of saarsngg has much to be proud of
Re: Should Incorrect 2-1 SRs be Counted in the Case of a Retirement?

I don't understand why so many people are voting "No". Let me try to explain option 3 in more detail

To take the example above (Kuznetsova vs. Petrova), imagine that the only diff for that round is:
You vs. Opponent
Kuznetsova 2-1 vs Kuznetsova 2-0

You follow the live scores and see Petrova win the first set 6-0. You start celebrating, since the only scenarios left sans a retirement are:
a) Petrova winning 2-0 or 2-1 -->you win with ISR
b) Kuznetsova winning 2-1-->you win with SR

Instead, Petrova retires after being up 6-0 3-0. You go to TB1 for a match that you would have won so long as Petrova-Kuznetsova had been completed, and lose. How can you not think this rule ridiculous?

Titles
PAW: Paris '13, Carlsbad '13, Seoul '13, Osaka '13 & Nurnberg '14
TT Doubles: ITF Perth '13 (w/Chilenaitor), ITF Nules '13, ITF Winnipeg '14 (w/Spencer.)
saarsngg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
country flag Javi.

Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute Javi. has a reputation beyond repute

As many retirements in WTA are ridiculous (Morita, Stevenson, etc) or suspicious, it's ok that it counts for guessing the winner but that should be more than enough reward for a retirement, getting ISR as well seems too much for me.
Javi. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
country flag Michael!
indescribable

Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute

poll closed!
Current rule stays!
Michael! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote