Here we go again: Florida teen killed in dispute over loud music - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #76
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Here we go again: Florida teen killed in dispute over loud music

Jordan Davis saga reaches cover of Jet magazine

Story of slain teen gets new national attention.

Published: 12/28 8:53 pm

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The teen shot to death at a local gas station in a dispute over loud music is January's cover story for Jet Magazine.

The cover shows a picture of Jordan Russell Davis (1995-2012), with the question, "Is your child next?" The attorney for Davis' family posted the pictures on Facebook today.

Davis, a Wolfson High School student, was killed on the night of Black Friday last month. The 17 year old and three friends pulled into a Gate gas station on the corner of Baymeadows Road and Southside Boulevard.

Police say another motorist, Michael Dunn, told the teens to turn down their music. A confrontation followed. Dunn told police the teens flashed a shotgun at him. Dunn, according to his attorney, felt threatened and opened fire into the SUV where Davis and his friends sat. Police found no shotgun or drugs at the scene.

Dunn is now facing five criminal charges: one count of murder in the first-degree; three counts of attempted murder in the first-degree; and one count of shooting/throwing deadly missiles.

Action News Jax (http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...F_MPk1nlw.cspx)

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #77
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
what kind of freedom is that? the gun is a dangerous possession which can even drive a sage towards madness in a minute of rage......

NRA of USA adopting that concept reminds me of the idiotic helmet rule in india.....when indian congress took to power in 2004 after almost 6 years, they wanted some money straightaway......so they brought in the mandatory helmet rule and forced citizens to buy helmets and filled their pockets under the name of "right to protection for two-wheeler users"......
Please tell me you're not speaking of something that's happening in a country other than India?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #78
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

http://deejaybird.tumblr.com/post/38...rights-workers

In Bogalusa, Louisiana, 1964, civil-rights workers were surrounded by a horde of Ku Klux Klansmen. A Black man named Charles Sims saw that the chief of police was merely observing what could have been lots of bloodshed. Charles Sims walked over to the police chief and told him: “You better stop `em. Cause if you don’t, we’re gonna kill them all.” The top cop saw armed Black men staked out in protective formation around the building housing the civil-rights workers. There was no Klan violence that night. Sims later declared, “That night a brand-new Negro was born.”

Cross burning ended suddenly in Jonesboro, Louisiana, the night that a cross was set on fire in front of a clergyman’s house. The Deacons for Defense and Justice began busting shots at the KKK as the torch touched the cross. The Klan departed and never repeated that trick.

In early 1965 Black students picketing Jonesboro high school were confronted by hostile police and fire trucks with hoses prepared to hose the Black students until a car of 4 Deacons emerged and in view of the police, calmly loaded their shotguns. The police ordered the fire truck to withdraw.

During a 1965 summer demonstration, white hecklers turned violent and threw a brick which struck a Black woman, Hattie Mae Hill. The white mob surrounded the car the Deacons were using to aid the terrified woman. As the white mob closed in on Deacon Henry Austin, he fired point blank into the chest of Alton Crowe who was in the front of the mob. While Crowe survived, the fun of beating up on Blacks died that afternoon in Bogalusa.

No longer able to attack Black people without fear of retaliation from gun-wielding Deacons, the Klan began to lose its power-hold on the region. With the threat of violence greatly diminished, the Deacons for Defense and Justice’s visibility declined. After 1968, the Deacons were inactive. The wife of one of the last surviving Deacon leaders says “I became very proud of Black men. They didn’t bow down and scratch their heads. They stood up like men.”
----------------------------------------------
I think Blacks in this country need to start having a national conversation about arming themselves, and protecting their families. Just my opinion.
I plan to get my license to carry next month.

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #79
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

^Are you serious?
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM   #80
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
^Are you serious?
I live in Florida. Heck yeah I'm serious.

█████████████████ʘ
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM   #81
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
I live in Florida. Heck yeah I'm serious.
It would make sense if there's some organised group targeting black people, but what's happening is some random individuals acting independently and picking off one person at a time in a surprising and sudden manner. Being armed is essentially useless as a defensive maneuver in such situations, other than making the individuals who carry them susceptible to their own misuse instead.

If these teens had been armed, they would still have been shot dead, and on top of that would have lost some sort of moral high ground. /Slash 17 is too young to be packing anyway.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Dec 31st, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:35 AM   #82
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
It would make sense if there's some organised group targeting black people, but what's happening is some random individuals acting independently and picking off one person at a time in a surprising and sudden manner. Being armed is essentially useless as a defensive maneuver in such situations, other than making the individuals who carry them susceptible to their own misuse instead.

If these teens had been armed, they would still have been shot dead, and on top of that would have lost some sort of moral high ground.
Well the boy who died here was only 17, so no, he should not have been armed. I wasn't speaking about him specifically, or even Trayvon.

I'm just speaking for myself. My views on guns are changing as I get older. I live in an area with lots of home invasions and robberies, firstly. And living in the South, a large portion of the population see young black men as existential threats to their way of life, and gunning one down is just positive social engineering. But these people are largely cowards, and always end up attacking those who they know are likely unarmed. You notice how you rarely ever see gunfights, its usualy one armed individual being aggressive in response to perceived danger from an unarmed individual? Gunfights are rare. I think being armed makes those types of people think twice, they're not as aggressive in areas where they know they are likely to find an armed black/brown person.

█████████████████ʘ
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #83
country flag ToopsTame

ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future

I've met Floridians who are progressive on a lot of issues but when it comes to gun control, have the same arms race mentality. One guy started carrying a gun on his bicycle after getting jumped a few times. Mutually Assured Destruction is a scary way to live.
ToopsTame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM   #84
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post

http://deejaybird.tumblr.com/post/38...rights-workers....

I think Blacks in this country need to start having a national conversation about arming themselves, and protecting their families. Just my opinion.
I plan to get my license to carry next month.
Of course neither Trayvon Martin nor Jordan Davis would have had a concealed carry permit @ age 17, and wouldn't be walking around with a shotgun. While the former was alone walking back from a 7-11, the latter was in a car with other guys, and they might have legally had a gun in the car.

So lets reconstruct the incident, with Dunn going back to his car and getting his gun, then taking aim. Lets say a shot rings out from the car, Dunn goes down, and whoever shot him claimed Stand Your Ground. The problem they'd maybe run into is that (without independent witnesses) a prosecutor might have said that Dunn intended just to show his, to scare the kids into leaving him (and his gf) alone.

Short of creating a 1984 style society with surveillance cameras (with good audio) everywhere, it creates a "they said vs. they said" dynamic. And wild shootouts, with mere bystanders sometimes hit. If you remember the news vid Williamsser put in the gun control thread, some LA Koreatown merchants during the Rodney King riots were (according to the newscaster) "firing @ anything that moved", and some of them fired back.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #85
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Black, 17, and Shot Dead in Florida: Why Isn't Jordan Davis Getting the Attention Travyon Martin Is?

Zainab Akande in Politics 2 days ago

Black, 17, and Shot Dead in Florida: Why Isn't Jordan Davis Getting the Attention Travyon Martin Is?

Agenda setting in the news has the power to leave news consumers in the dark about timely, relevant and important topics.

Take this developing story, for example.

In November, black youth Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old Jacksonville resident, was the only person murdered after Michael Dunn, 46, allegedly shot into the SUV Davis was inside several times after an argument about the volume of music playing.

According to Dunn's girlfriend, Rhonda Rouer, Dunn had three rum and cokes at a wedding reception. She felt secure enough for him to drive and thought that he was a good mood. On the drive back to the hotel they were residing at, they made a pit stop at the convenience store where the murder occurred. At the Gate Station, Rouer said Dunn told her that he hated "thug music." Rouer then went inside the store to make purchases and heard several gunshots while she was still within the building.

Upon returning and seeing Dunn put his gun back into the glove compartment, Rouer asked why he had shot at the car playing music and Dunn claimed that he feared for his life and that "they threatened to kill me." The couple drove back to their hotel, and claim they did not realize anyone had died until the story appeared on the news the next day.

On the other side of the case, the defense (baselessly, it seems) argues that the teens in the car may or may not have had a weapon stashed inside of the SUV.

Dunn is being charged with first-degree murder, as well as three counts of attempted murder. Rouer described Dunn as "easy-going" but passionate about politics and gun control.

The latest news on the case concerns the decision of Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper removing herself from presiding over the case. She is the second judge to leave, after the first judge, Suzanne Bass, was asked to step down in order to ensure a fair trial. Judge Russell Healey is now the third judge to be appointed to the case. The state will not be paying for Dunn's defense fees.

Without solid evidence from both sides and one surveillance video that only shows the story from the inside of the convenience store, this case has a long way to go.

It's more or less the same story all over again: a white man shooting a black teenager dead in Florida in a tragic dispute that perhaps could have been avoided. Yet, why is Jacksonville trial of Michael Dunn and Jordan Davis not receiving the same amount of media attention or criticism as the George Zimmerman vs. Trayvon Martin case?

Do the airwaves, newspapers and Twitter feeds have enough room for the prominence of one type of vaguely race-charged crime? Or crimes that could tie into the debate on gun control? Or goodness forbid, when both topics intersect.

Whatever the reason, there is no one to blame but the national media for more or less skipping this one over.

[policymic]

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #86
country flag tennisrules

tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all tennisrules is a name known to all

Rolling Stone has an excellent article on this case:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ictim-20130425

It is extremely long (4 pages) so I won't post the full article here.
tennisrules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #87
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisrules View Post
Rolling Stone has an excellent article on this case:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ictim-20130425

It is extremely long (4 pages) so I won't post the full article here.
This is just plain exhausting.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #88
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
This is just plain exhausting.
This is why I couldn't actively follow the Trayvon case.
I often do not read the legal analysts views at all because when considering the sources, they side with and are controlled by the majority view. It's only when a verdict has been reached that some media outlets come out in protest.
That's as, you said, quite exhausting. But more than that, leaves me with a sense of despair for the future of my kids.
I sit back and ask myself what's changed for us minorities in the sense of receiving actual justice.
And my answer is usually...
"A lot has changed---in favor of the majority legally killing minorities for any reason whatsoever."
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #89
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

One big difference is the way the two cases were initially handled. In the Dunn case, the suspect was arrested fairly soon after the crime was committed. In the Martin case, the cops weren't even going to conduct an investigation until public pressure forced them to, and their gross negligence in so doing may have been a factor in Zimmerman's not guilty verdict.

Both cases are horrible and tragic, but this one seems to less badly handled by the police.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 11:21 PM   #90
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Florida Man Who Killed Teen Over Loud Music Dispute Due in Court

Michael Dunn will use Stand Your Ground defense, claiming he saw gun in teen's car
By Charlotte Alter @charlottealter Feb. 03, 201412

The trial for the Florida man accused of shooting and killing an unarmed black teen in an argument over loud music will start Monday, and his attorneys say he plans to use the controversial “Stand Your Ground” law as a defense.

The high-profile case is being compared to the trial of George Zimmerman for shooting Trayvon Martin, both because of the invocation of the “Stand Your Ground” defense, and because that trial’s state attorney, Angela Corey, will also prosecute this case, CNN reports.

In November 2012, Michael Dunn pulled into a convenience store parking lot next to a car full of teenagers playing music on the radio. When his girlfriend went into the store, Dunn says he asked the teens to turn the music down.

When they began to argue, Dunn says he saw a gun in the car, so he grabbed his handgun and fired eight or nine shots into the car, killing 17-year old Jordan Davis. No weapons were found in the teens’ car. Dunn has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges along with three counts of attempted murder.

Dunn’s attorney said that her client was reacting to what he perceived as an immediate threat.

Read more: Michael Dunn To Use Stand Your Ground Defense Over Jordan Davis Death | TIME.com

http://nation.time.com/2014/02/03/st...#ixzz2sJ9ZkLP5

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote