MIMA!!! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:19 AM   #16
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Never could recall too much of Mima when she played in Australia.

I think she actually played in the 1988 Australian Open... losing 1st round and captained the Fed Cup team that year which was held late in 88 in Australia. I think she was a playing captain too (doubles only).

After she retired I know she was coaching some Yugoslavian juniors, Nadia Ercegovic was one (who was a near top 100 player) because she brought a team down to Australia to play some 10K events.

For years she tried to get Monica Seles to play Fed Cup for Yugoslavia. Monica always said no.... but Mima never bagged Monica for it. Monica was critical that the Yogislavian federation never helped her when she was younger, and tho Mima acknowledged this she said something along the lines of: 'how could they support her when there's no support to give!' i.e. the federation never had cash to give.

It is deifinitely Ros Fairbank-Nideffer in that pic. A very good grasscourter and came into her own later in her career. She was Sth African but changed her citizenship to US to avoid the many restrictions that SA players had during apartheid. When these restrictions were lifted, she changed back to SA and played Fed Cup a couple of times.
Never knew about her gamemanship, but her tendacy to be very nervous during matches was her weakness. She played extremely tentaitvely against Catarina Lindqvist at the qtrs of 89 Wimbledon to lose 7-5 7-5, when she was a big chance to make the semis. She had a big lead in both sets against Martina (in the match mentioned below), I think in one of them 4-1 and points for 5-1!!! (I'll check). I also saw her beat Austin at the NSW Open in Sydney when Tracy was going thru a lean patch.
Never knew Ros had a baby during her time on the tour???

Laura Gildemeister also returned on the tour after a baby and played better tennis after it. She was also interviewed in the Ladies of the Court book. Her forehand was her strength and weakness. She would lay the wrist back and slap at it, and it fired off the racquet but went anywhere. She had a purple patch of form at one stage getting into the top 15 maybe??? I know she was at least 18 in the world.
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM   #17
Gandalf

Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all Gandalf is a name known to all
Thanks Rollo, ColinB, louloubelle and the others. I recall Monica not playing Fed Cup at the beginning of the 90's, but not those problems with the Federation.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #18
country flag rhz

rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future
Sukova look like a giraffe in that pic
Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:01 AM   #19
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
OMG thanks for that picture Helena Sukova. I do miss her

I never really knew about Mima though.
Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:57 PM   #20
Double Fault
Team WTAworld

Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark35

God, Helena Sukova looks like Petr Korda on acid!
This is one of the funniest lines I have read on this board. Mark, you are funny. LMAO!!
Double Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:26 PM   #21
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
That is a funny line about Sukova! LOL

I saw Mima playing in the legends at Wimbledon in the early 90s. I actually filmed a few of her matches coz she was playing with Frankie Durr. They did OK - I think they won one and lost one, I'll have to look at the tapes again to double check. But I remember thinking how tiny she was. Like Colin said Mini Mi(ma). Hilarious!

I think I also have about 15 minutes of her Wimbledon doubles final with Virginia Ruzici on tape - I think they played Reid & Turnbull if memory serves me correct. Anyway, I'll have to take another look. Anyway, she still looks very good and was still hitting the ball well when I saw her. But she wasn't good enough to carry Frankie to the Legends Doubles title that year!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Tennis Videos-

Yes. The Wimby final was vs. Reid-Turnbull. Mima and Vergie even had a match point!

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 20th, 2002 at 12:37 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #23
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Rollo! I think I have the final 15 minutes of the match. I am going to go and check right now and might watch it again later tonite. Ruzici was very unorthodox... esp for a doubles player! I guess I was happy that Kerry and Wendy won a Wimby title together... but it was an exciting match I recall.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #24
tennisvideos

I just found the tape... and what a classic it is...

It has that doubles match on it - the 2nd set tiebreaker featuring the match points you mentioned Rollo, and then from 4-3 in the final set.

Also on the tape is the Navratilova v Goolagong SF when Evonne almost wins but at 4-4 in the 3rd set she injures her ankle, screams during a point and is in tears. Martina is protesting away that she was distracted during the point but the umpire gives the game point to Goolagong to make it 4-4. All during the time that Martina is arguing, you can see Evonne in such pain and crying away. So very very sad!
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
What happened on the mps Tennisvideos? Poor Evonne

Do you think she had a slam or two left in her (besides the 80 Wimbledon) had she stayed healthy? For some reason the "artists" such as Bueno, Goolagong, and Mandlikova all had numerous injuries.
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:00 PM   #26
tennisvideos

Hi Rollo

Evonne was on painkiller injections prior to the match with Martina as she had damaged her ankle, but she thought she was playing OK so thought she would give it a go. Then at 4-3 in the final set Evonne went down on it as she hit a winning lob over Martina's head. She acutally screamed out, and Martina claimed it put her off and wanted the point. It was heartbreaking as Evonne was playing some great tennis during the match, although you could see her limping badly and struggling with it.

Yes, I do believe Evonne had more slams in her if it wasn't for the injuries and leg problems esp after the birth of her first child. As it was, we know how close she came to winning the USO - 4 consecutive finals (2 on clay). And she won the French so we knew she could play some good slow court tennis as well as being the wonderful S&V player. Anyway, I should be posting this on the Evonne thread! Sorry to get sidetracked from Mima!
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #27
country flag maya

maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold
An article and some lovely photos were published recently in a Slovenian magazine (after the fed cup win with Mima as a capitain) and I will try to post them if somebody wants to look at them:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mimajausovec.JPG (73.3 KB, 38 views)
maya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #28
country flag maya

maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold
.. more (Mima and her son Tim, Mima as a coach in her tennis school):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mima&tim.JPG (23.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg mimacoach.JPG (11.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mimaoncourt.JPG (19.5 KB, 32 views)
maya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #29
country flag TennisFan75

TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold
cool photo's, mima still looks great, unlike her wimbledon partner Gretchen Magers.. what happended to her lol...
TennisFan75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Mima was just a doll baby. I'll try to finda littler info written on her in a book about the tour in 1978.

Thanks Maya