Mirjana Lucic Became a US Citizen - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #31
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mirjana Lucic Became a US Citizen

I don't see it happening either.
I think she did it to make her private life in States easier, also it will be a lot easier for her to travel the world(even if she plays for Croatia) because she wont need ''visa'' to enter countries, like she needed it before.
And I really doubt she did it because of Olympics because if she goes on for another 4 years she has less chances to get into Rio playing for the USA than playing for Croatia.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #32
country flag ce

ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute

Finally. She found her life in USA, while no one helped her in Croatia.
ce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #33
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce View Post
Finally. She found her life in USA, while no one helped her in Croatia.
That's difficult to assert, without equivocation. Maybe. It always seemed as if the whole situation was complicated on both sides. Croatian tennis federation big-wigs were perhaps understandably ambivalent about her "asylum" situation and how it went down, while Mirjana did not exactly have a lot of trust that officials in Croatian Tennis had her best interests at heart.

The whole affair was a lot to shoulder for a teen girl, long after the initial break. That much pressure (fleeing a homeland, seeking foreign asylum, supporting an entire family) ought never to have been placed on a developing player; it clearly played a part in stunting her career. One suspects there was a lot of miscommunication over the years between the Lucic clan and Croatian tennis powers, and vice versa. Ancient history, now.

The fact is that she identified totally as a Croatian citizen through more than a decade following her request for asylum, even when life was difficult for their family in the USA. It seems highly unlikely that she would change that now. I think ajmo is probably correct. This move is likely logistic, in terms of squaring-away a life that will mostly be lived with her husband in the USA, and also to facilitate travel for a couple more years of tennis. It made a lot of difference for Varvara L, when she finally got her citizenship, but her case was much more difficult.

I would think Lucic will always identify as Croatian, first and foremost, while maintaining the benefits of a duel-citizen status.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #34
country flag traralgon

traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck to her. Probably it's only for practical reasons. I don't think she wants to work as a spy for the Croatian secret service.
traralgon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #35
country flag Angelpova
Naoned e Breizh

Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of Angelpova has much to be proud of

Angelpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #36
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
It's funny how up in arms people get about citizenship. I've always felt
that if you're happier somewhere else than in your birth country, why wouldn't you try to switch citizenship? If an American felt more comfortable in, let's say Brazil, I would feel the same way. It doesn't mean they hate where they come from, it's just they found a better fit. Good luck to her.
Love everything about this post
TrollPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote