Mirjana Lucic Became a US Citizen - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM   #16
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of
Re: Mirjana Lucic Became a US Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
Good for her!! She's been living in this country as a legal alien most of her adult life and I personally think this is to her benefit... When it comes time to collecting social security legal aliens do not get the full amount.. Besides why live in a country where you pay taxes and don't have the right to vote? When a legal alien gets in trouble with the law--they do their time and are quickly deported.
Have to correct you on your statement about legal aliens not being able to collect the full amount of social security. We are green card holders and we are entitled to the same amount of social security whether or not we ever do citizenship. It's based on credits paid into the system.
Vicky88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Kathy Rinaldi

Kathy Rinaldi has disabled reputation
Mirjana Lucic becomes a US citizen

Just saw it in her thread. Welcome aboard Confirmed yesterday apparently.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM   #18
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure if the US want her to play then she will as she wasn't very happy with Iva Majoli's decision in early 2012 to announce she wouldn't be considered for a Croatian Olympics slot due to missing a Fed Cup tie through injury. By the time the Olympics came around her ranking wasn't high enough anways but I'm sure she may have been wildcarded in with her grass court record behind her.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM   #19
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute

^^
If I recall right it was very weird injury bc she played right before Fed Cup and week after it as well.
Anyway I don't think her decision would have anything to do with that.

Congrats to Mirjana!
She must feel great about it!
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 02:54 PM   #20
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Nice passport photo!

Super Dave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #21
country flag Comebacksova

Comebacksova has disabled reputation

Unless she switches nationality 3 times like Dokic, I'm fine.
Comebacksova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM   #22
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
Have to correct you on your statement about legal aliens not being able to collect the full amount of social security. We are green card holders and we are entitled to the same amount of social security whether or not we ever do citizenship. It's based on credits paid into the system.
I am not speaking out of my butt---the benefits are less .... It is imperative that a green card holder who becomes a citizen go to report it at the social security office... Please do your own some research.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM   #23
country flag mic12

mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice mic12 is just really nice

Quote:
I am not speaking out of my butt---the benefits are less .... It is imperative that a green card holder who becomes a citizen go to report it at the social security office... Please do your own some research.
unfortunately you are speaking out of your butt! The only difference between citizens/non citizens for the purposes of social security benefits is the length of time per year people are allowed to spend out of the country. Maybe your butt could also read some documents for you
PDF here

Not that there will be any SS left by the time Mirjana would be of age to receive it. But I think her husband is fairly well off, so I am not worried about them.
mic12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM   #24
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

It's normally very difficulot to have dual citizenship with the US. For example, Rupert Murdoch ad to give up his Australian Citizenship in exchange for his American one She may start playing for the US

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #25
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future

Good for her. I met her this summer and she is a very nice person --- funny, warm and friendly.
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #26
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Croatia allows dual citizenship though.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #27
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Quote:
I appreciated your comments very much -- you leveled some strong insight. Thank you.

As for Mirjana, well ... she is a thoughtful soul; I cannot imagine she would take any important decision lightly.

That being said, I do think that anyone who has truly followed her career knows she is Croatian to the proverbial Nth Degree.

Clearly, this was a decision that was made based upon a lot of factors.

Mirjana made almost $200K last year -- and, wow, she earned it -- but we have always had talented people changing citizenship when the time was right, for them.

How many of us need to remember that Martina Navratilova is American ... By a very tortuous choice she made quite a while ago? Martina was up-front about her citizenship, and to my mind, she added a lot of prestige to America. That's a compliment to Martina.

Same goes for Mirjana. I highly doubt her love for Croatia is dimmed, but by officially becoming a citizen, she adds a great deal of the importance of a fantastic country (Croatia) to the public tennis discourse of our country.

Yes, with her ranking and apparent dedication to keep fighting, it could get interesting as far as Fed Cup. I was also bewildered that some sort of string was not pulled for her, Olympics-wise, but that's politics and it must have always been awful for Mirjana ... Her WTA wins were in Bol. Sad, but one has gotten the distinct impression, over the years, that her father and uncle in Makarska are damaging forces, to say the least.

Whatever the case or actuality ... Congratulations to Mirjana of Croatia and America, and Happy Holidays to everyone, frankly.

Stay safe and happy these holidays, everybody!
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #28
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome Mirjana! We are happy to have you

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #29
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post
I hate that the players change their nationality
maybe some players have other aspirations than just being a tennis player... Like any other individual.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #30
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute

You can have dual citizenship and choose which country you represent. I believe Tommy Haas did that a couple years ago. At this point, I doubt Mirjana will change which country she plays for, but you never know.

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote