...HardCourt II - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:08 AM   #121
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ...HardCourt II

I guess the bright side is that she isn't defending any ranking points for the rest of the Australian summer. Hopefully she can get onto the practice courts and hit a lot of tennis balls over the next week, and come back a little more solid for Sydney.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #122
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Of course everybody's going to chalk this up to Aussie nerves, but I personally doubt that had much to do with the loss. She was underprepared, and from what I gathered from everybody's comments she was trying to be super-aggressive. It's a fine line between aggressive play and BBBing, and though I hate to say it, shw sometimes crosses over to the wrong side of that line. She and Dave have some thinking to do this week, I just hope they can come up with a more balanced approach before theAO starts.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM   #123
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Of course everybody's going to chalk this up to Aussie nerves, but I personally doubt that had much to do with the loss.
I'm sorry but you're kidding yourself if you think this isn't the main cause of the loss. It's just a mentality that she goes on court with and causing her to play that panicy "super-aggressive" tennis. She's just choosing the wrong shot time and time again. And it's simply isn't an excuse, it's just not good enough.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #124

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not convinced.Her poor shot selection seems to be mainly trying to belt th skin off everyball, which is pretty much how she consciously decided to approachthe match in advance.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:41 AM   #125
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not convinced.Her poor shot selection seems to be mainly trying to belt th skin off everyball, which is pretty much how she consciously decided to approachthe match in advance.
Which is because she is not thinking straight on the court because of nerves of playing in Australia. She has in ehr head she can't paly in Australia and that causes her to panic which causes her to have that poor shot selection.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM   #126
country flag Ruzanam

Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light Ruzanam is a glorious beacon of light

Hi to everyone!
As it was said so many times nothing really helps Sam in Australia. The fact that it's the start of the season and Sam needs more matches to find a good form, the surface, the pressure from herself and media, plus a pretty tough draw this time. I mean it would have been great if the season started with clay and Australia was only after that.
And why people are so harsh on her!!!
Ruzanam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:28 PM   #127
country flag Adomoose

Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold

Happy New Year all.
Having watched the match she looked rusty as hell but I really didn't see the panic like last year. She was really trying to be aggressive put she looked a step slower to be honest. The double faults of the past few months are a worry though. I still think this proves that the Hopman Cup should be her start to the year to get some decent match play and confidence. Hopefully she will last more than 1 round in Sydney so I can watch her live!
Adomoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM   #128
louloubelle

louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of louloubelle has much to be proud of

Welcome Ruzanam

As much as playing in her home country is an issue, its not the major one I believe.

Her losses have followed the same path over the last year. Her ground game is below par to what it was in '10 & '11. Players now know that if they can return Sam's serve then they have a 50-50 chance in the backcourt. Keep the ball in play and you have a good chance of getting an error off Sam. The forehand seems to have lost a little stick and the backhand still is hit & miss. This could be footwork... nerves.... or whatever.... either way I believe her form is down overall in the past year.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:15 AM   #129

Having watched the match video it seemed to me that rustiness was Sam's main problem in the Arvidsson match. She looked a fraction slow most of the time, and was missing shots she would normally hit. I didn't see a hell of a lot wrong with her shot selection per se, it was her execution that let her down.

Of course you could ask yourself whether it was wise to keep going for so much when your a-game is clearly not on, but that was a decision she made before the match, not a panicky reaction to crowd nerves. Didn't see much in the way of nerves at all tbh, just (understandable) frustration.

Hopefully an extra week's practice will be enough to get rid of the cobwebs, because she really needs to win a couple of matches in Sydney in order to be ready for Melbourne.

Hi Ruzanam!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #130
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney draw

(1)A.Radwanska v BYE
(wc)Dellacqua v Q
Paszek v Jankovic
Vinci v (8)Petrova

(4)Li v McHale
Q v Hantuchova
Safarova v Q
Zheng v (6)Stosur

(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova
Lepchenko v Makarova
(wc)Rogowska v Kirilenko
Q v (3)Errani

(7)Wozniacki v U.Radwanska
Goerges v Q
Wickmayer v Q
(2)Kerber v BYE

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3
AYUMI-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #131

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that second round with Safarova could be very dangerous, but I don't think we can really complain about the draw too much. This Sydney draw doesn't look as strong as it has done in previous years. In fact, if this was a non-Australian tournament, and there were no injury concerns, I'd give Sam a chance here.

Please Sammy. Win at least one match. Plleaaasseeee

Edit: Oh, and hi Ruzanam

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #132
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

Is a good draw... probably better then that in Brisbane... However, will sam be able to play her normal game???

Hanyone else believe that the Hopman Cup is the BEST prep for Sam??? Three garenteed matches (plus 3 doubles) agains usually Top 50 players???
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Wedgie619 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #133

^Yeah, I think Adomoose and a couple of others would agree with you there. (I would also). I think she's not willing to skip Brisbane though, because she sees it as her home tournament.

The mixed doubles at Hopman always tends to have quite a nice and friendly atmosphere. I think playing the mixed really helped Ash Barty relax for her match against Fran. It could have the same effect for Sam in terms of playing in Australia as well ... maybe ...

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #134

Completely agree with all of you guys that the Hopman Cup would be a much better way for Sam to start the year. Not so much for the friendly atmosphere - they're hardly hostile to Sam in Brisbane - as for the matches, which is what she needs most at the start of the year, especially this time around. As much as they love Sam in Brisbane, I think they would fully understand if she pulled out in future given her track record there.

Sydney draw doesn't look too bad. I thought more of the top players were entered there, but either I was wrong or a bunch pulled out. Still plenty who can give Sam trouble if she keeps spraying errors around like she did in Brisbane, but if she can keep the ball in play there's nobody she can't beat.

My gut feeling is that she'll play a lot better this time around, but I'm not counting on anything. Anyway she has no points at stake, so the main thing is to get her game in shape in time for the AO.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #135
country flag Adomoose

Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold Adomoose is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: ...HardCourt II

Quote:
Completely agree with all of you guys that the Hopman Cup would be a much better way for Sam to start the year. Not so much for the friendly atmosphere - they're hardly hostile to Sam in Brisbane - as for the matches, which is what she needs most at the start of the year, especially this time around. As much as they love Sam in Brisbane, I think they would fully understand if she pulled out in future given her track record there.

Sydney draw doesn't look too bad. I thought more of the top players were entered there, but either I was wrong or a bunch pulled out. Still plenty who can give Sam trouble if she keeps spraying errors around like she did in Brisbane, but if she can keep the ball in play there's nobody she can't beat.

My gut feeling is that she'll play a lot better this time around, but I'm not counting on anything. Anyway she has no points at stake, so the main thing is to get her game in shape in time for the AO.
I completely agree.

I really do hope she lasts a few rounds in Sydney as I am hoping to go to a few day sessions and with any luck, will get to see Sam in action....and I have tickets to the final and would love love love to see her win it.....but one match at a time.
Adomoose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote