...HardCourt II - Page 60 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #886
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ...HardCourt II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Bahhh

It's good to hear that Sammy was playing well throughout the match. I hope that she doesn't focus on the MP too much, I think it's easy to let what happens right at the end define the entire match when something like that occurs. And especially given what happened against Zheng a few days ago
I don't think Sam will lose too much sleep over the MP error, it was a tricky ball to control anyway, so I'm not even sure it would have counted as an UE. In general she played a really solid match, and I think that's what she'll take away from this.

It wasn't the absolute best I've seen her play by any means, but the nice thing is that she was pretty solid in all departments (serve, return, FH and BH groundstrokes, volleys) and that she was consistently solid from start to finish, with the only minor blemish a run of about 5 or 6 netted returns at the start of the 3rd set.

Quote:
Ah well. Onto the Czech Republic to pwn Kvitova for the first time
I'll drink to that!
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #887
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I suppose we should look on the bright side. Sam has bowed out of Melbourne playing some good tennis. This is a much better way to end her AO campaign than that singles match that must not be named.
^This.

Now, can she please go out and get boozy shit-faced, eat her bodyweight in junk food, and stay away from interviews/pressers for a few days?
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #888
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

My simple observation.
With (some) experience, we know than Sam steadily goes to a GS semi-final, a GS final or a GS title: every year. Neither at the AO, nor at Wimbledon. It never happens. The process is simple, because it's always the same: Sam gets the Newcombe Medal, has zero results in conjunction with that, is slashed by the local lazy Press, has zero trophy on tour and owns the best one ever at home.
So: as we know the 2013 scenario, should we worry?
B.

Last edited by bertisonline : Jan 19th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #889
country flag Sinclair
All about the guns, baby.

Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all Sinclair is a name known to all

Good point, Bert. I wish I shared your logical approach to Sam's pattern. See, the problem for me is that even though I have ridden a roller coaster 10 times and know every loop and curve and drop, I still keep coming back for more because I like the excitement and anticipation and moments of adrenaline when i think that something might go wrong or different or whatever. Who knows, one of these days Sam might surprise us all - and that's why I can't take too much comfort in her patterns of performance.

Plus, I made that mistake being a Momo fan (back in the day) and I got comfy with her never going past the QFs at RG and being content with a couple GS titles under her belt. Then, when she retired, I was like....wtf! I felt like she had more tennis in her, and I had kind of missed out on something. Anyhow, maybe that's not the best analogy. Whatever.

But hey, worrying about Sam is part of being a fan of Sam. We will support her no matter what, and will probably consume large amounts of booze and scream at our tv's and lose sleep and cry and cheer and get nervous and giggle like schoolgirls when she does the gangnam style dance.....it's all part of the experience! Thank you, Sam.
Sinclair is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #890
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
^This.

Now, can she please go out and get boozy shit-faced, eat her bodyweight in junk food, and stay away from interviews/pressers for a few days?
Sound advice....then go to Paris indoors and whore up some points.
Ado. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #891
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Good point, Bert. I wish I shared your logical approach to Sam's pattern. See, the problem for me is that even though I have ridden a roller coaster 10 times and know every loop and curve and drop, I still keep coming back for more because I like the excitement and anticipation and moments of adrenaline when i think that something might go wrong or different or whatever. Who knows, one of these days Sam might surprise us all - and that's why I can't take too much comfort in her patterns of performance.

Plus, I made that mistake being a Momo fan (back in the day) and I got comfy with her never going past the QFs at RG and being content with a couple GS titles under her belt. Then, when she retired, I was like....wtf! I felt like she had more tennis in her, and I had kind of missed out on something. Anyhow, maybe that's not the best analogy. Whatever.

But hey, worrying about Sam is part of being a fan of Sam. We will support her no matter what, and will probably consume large amounts of booze and scream at our tv's and lose sleep and cry and cheer and get nervous and giggle like schoolgirls when she does the gangnam style dance.....it's all part of the experience! Thank you, Sam.
This.

I too was a big Momo fan and enjoyed every painful minute of it similar to Sam. Don't know what is wrong with me to have this sick gravitation toward heart attack players....oh and I was a Pierce fan in the 90s. Does that make me sound old, twisted or both?!?!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #892

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the players I've followed on tour, Amelie is the one who reminds me most of Sam (in personality, not playing style). The same sweet vulnerability, I can't resist it, with or without the heart attacks
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #893
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Of all the players I've followed on tour, Amelie is the one who reminds me most of Sam (in personality, not playing style). The same sweet vulnerability, I can't resist it, with or without the heart attacks
Me too. I met Mauresmo at Oz Open about 10 years ago and I was like a giggly school girl even though I was a grown man. I don't know how I would react if I met Sammy.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #894
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

I think almost every Sam fan I've seen on this forum also supported Amelie. Weird how that happens...

And Adomoose's idea of going to Paris is a good one I think; partly for getting some more match play heading into the Middle East, partly because both Paris and Fed Cup will be indoors, and partly because I don't want to wait until Feb 9 to see her play again
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #895
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think almost every Sam fan I've seen on this forum also supported Amelie. Weird how that happens...

And Adomoose's idea of going to Paris is a good one I think; partly for getting some more match play heading into the Middle East, partly because both Paris and Fed Cup will be indoors, and partly because I don't want to wait until Feb 9 to see her play again
If Sam is coming to Paris, I will have a look about what is happening.
I can be wrong, but my feeling is that Sam will never do that. For her Paris is, and remains, strictly Roland Garros.
B.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #896

^I also doubt that Sam'll play Paris Indoors. Not necessarily because she doesn't want to play another tournament in Paris, but because her schedule is probably overfull already, unless she skips either Doha or Dubai. I don't think Sam would want to do that (not sure she would even be allowed without getting a zero-pointer), and anyway I can't see her not wanting to defend her final spot in Doha. Pity, because pointswise the pickings will be probably easier in Paris.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #897
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Looks like Im odd one out, was never a Amelie fan..

Id love Sam to go to Paris but I doubt it. Sam doesnt really whore out tournaments much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:51 AM   #898
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
Looks like Im odd one out, was never a Amelie fan..

Id love Sam to go to Paris but I doubt it. Sam doesnt really whore out tournaments much.
Yeah, I'd like her to go, but she doesn't ever seem to panic and change her schedule when things aren't going so well. I also suspect that she might need to use the break to do some of the training that she wan't able to do off-season because of her ankle.

Going to see Sveta, Serena, Sloane and Murray tomorrow (Vika will also be there, I guess )
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #899
country flag Ado.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like her to go, but she doesn't ever seem to panic and change her schedule when things aren't going so well. I also suspect that she might need to use the break to do some of the training that she wan't able to do off-season because of her ankle.

Going to see Sveta, Serena, Sloane and Murray tomorrow (Vika will also be there, I guess )
Have fun tomorrow SilverPersian.

As much as we enjoyed Sam's mini tourney whore period last year (Tokyo, Beijing, Osaka, Moscow, YEC) I think that was a rare event. Now that the players ranked 10-20 have also bombed out relatively early, and Petra/Sara have dropped back a bit, there is less reason to chase points and more reason to focus on getting match fit and ready for the next few months.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #900

I actually think Sam's mini-whoring in Asia was a disaster that she'd do best never to repeat. It's the only time I can remember ever seeing her play tournaments mainly for points, and by the time she got to Istanbul she was paying the price for that big time.