...HardCourt II - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #781
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future
Re: ...HardCourt II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertisonline View Post
Well, if you are still reading this thread, you are already a survivor.

B.
True

Perhaps a 'How to keep your sanity' thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #782
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
True

Perhaps a 'How to keep your sanity' thread.
There is so much love in the room right now we don't want to leave

And this therapy session is in overdrive.

What are we going to do for the next month??? It will feel like the off season again.
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #783
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post

What are we going to do for the next month??? It will feel like the off season again.
Go Fishing

B.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #784
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

They're playing Sam's match again. And I'm probably going to end up watching it. I wonder if she'll win this time
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #785

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think Sam's playing Fed Cup in a couple of weeks - should be interesting to see her play Kvitova and Safarova

Not sure what her schedule is after that. Probably Doha/Dubai again, I guess...

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #786
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
They're playing Sam's match again. And I'm probably going to end up watching it. I wonder if she'll win this time
Aussie TV .. suckers for torture.

Just flick it over at 5-2 and make up your own ending
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #787
country flag Huntress55

Quote:
I think Sam's playing Fed Cup in a couple of weeks - should be interesting to see her play Kvitova and Safarova

Not sure what her schedule is after that. Probably Doha/Dubai again, I guess...
Why cant she be a tournie whore and play like Paris or something beforehand.

Its not like Fed Cup is in Australia so shes flying back and forth. Girl needs matches.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #788
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If only! Wish I have a time machine for Sam now
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #789
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

She is still hanging around for the doubles though - maybe she can have a Wimby 11 kinda run with Julia this time round to make up for her agony in the singles - although it must be tough to hang around Melbourne Park after today's disaster. She will need Gools to lift her up for sure though - can't imagine her being too up for the match after today. Good thing Gools is still in the singles so should at least be in good spirits.
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #790
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Therapy it is then.
I just noticed that while most of us were licking our wounds, a few had the presence of mind to give some thoughts about what the loss means for Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Dave Taylor -- I have something to say to you.
Fix those motherfucking double faults right fucking now. I don't care if you have to hire every motherfucking serving coach on the fucking planet, just fix that fucking shit. At least 3 times in today's match, a double fault changed the whole outcome of the game and finally cost Sam the match.
I can accept occasional groundstrokes errors. I can even deal with the fucking 2-handed BH. But please, Dave, for the love of god, figure out what is going on with that fucking first serve, and FIX THAT FUCKING SHIT. Dammit. Sam's game begins with that fucking serve. When it falls apart, her whole game falls apart. Please, man, fix it.
That is all.
Yeah, the DFs were painful for sure, but today at least I think that was entirely due to nerves. By the end of the match I had the feeling that Sam’s arms and legs had pretty much turned to jelly. Not sure a serving coach can help her with that. But in general you’re right: for somebody who serves with as much topspin as Sam does, she hits way too many DFs.
Quote:
Losing like this do happen. It’s part of the game.
But she will remember it while serving for the match for a couple of matches.
I’m not sad because I had no expectation Re: the AO. Today is just waste.
B.
I think this is a fair assessment. I would have liked her to win another match or two for sure, but basically had zero expectation at the start of the tournament, so from that point of view I’m not too disappointed. But not clinching the win when she had the opportunity is certainly a waste, because every match won can give her some confidence and rhythm for the continuation of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Sorry, Bert. I have to disagree. It wasn't a waste. She played at both extremes - good and bad. She had some great dominance moments that I hope she can call upon in the future when she needs to regain confidence. And she had some horrible moments when lack of focus came at a high price. To play such GOAT tennis in the 2nd set and first part of the 3rd set, she was able to experience the awesome, confident feelings. That's not wasted energy at all. In a sick way, I think today was a bonus. I just hope that all of us, including Sam, can put it behind us and move forward with the positive things.
Anyway, I wonder if I can find a liquor store open at 1:30am.
I agree with this as well. Even though in a lot of ways a straight sets loss would have been easier to stomach, there was value in her having played the third set, because up till 5-2 that was easily the best set of tennis she’s played all season so far. So she can leave Australia knowing that she still has it in her to play at that level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
In a way this is true - last year there were several tight 3 set losses where she played well in the second set and then totally tighten up at the start of the third set - at least she played well at the start of the third set in both the Sydney and today's match. But this losing first set and then losing the third set is getting sadly predictable She just has to start turning the table on one or two of these matches - hopefully sooner rather than later.
At least she got one win out of the Aussie summer. It would have sucked real bad if her losing streak that started in the Moscow final continued into Doha/Dubai.
Yes, I’m a bit concerned about this pattern continuing on, I was hoping she could leave it behind her this year. There is some weird psychology at work here: she always seems to choke at the very moment she recovers her game after a period of playing badly. It doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense: you would expect her to gain confidence at such moments and play even better.
Quote:
Oh, sorry Sinclair. By waste, I was Re: Sam serving twice for the match: she wasted the opportunity.
Hope you do not read me (too) badly… I totally agree she played really well during a long period of the match, the second set and half of the third one.

We know a little bit Sam, and that scenario has already happened. As an example, the Errani match at RG last year: obviously.
The key problem lies when she is serving for the match.
I think her mental state at that moment is that not only she thinks she is going to win the match, but even further, that’s she thinks she deserves it, mainly because she has done (the difficult part of) the job. That thought is really vicious, because while being true, it does freeze her momentum, until death happen.
She needs to change her way to handle it, or it will happen again. Today is not a semi-final and Sam was not expected to run deep at the AO, so it might ease a little bit the disappointment in a few days.
But the core thing is to change the mental approach of closing such matches while clearly leading the set and serving for the match. She can do it if she works on it, as she had recovered from her surgery within only a few weeks.
What do you think?
B.
I suspect that it happens for the simple reason that it’s happened before, so every time the situation arises she suffers an involuntary déjà vu feeling (oh shit, every time this happens I choke), which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think a large part of her playing badly in Australia and at Wimbledon come down to the same thing. She can banish it from her mind for a while, but before long she starts to think: I always bomb out here, and once that thought gets into her brain it grows and grows until she can’t control it anymore.

I don’t think it’s impossible for her to break these chains, but at her stage in her career it might be tough. A really deep run at the AO and/or Wimbledon, and/or a few good wins after losing the first set might allow her to draw on positive memories in future matches. Atm, it’s a self-perpetuating cycle
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #791
country flag Huntress55

The getting back into the match then losing it is the hardest thing to watch.

Its like she is losing and says to herself well I'm already losing so I might as well play to win, hit my shots etc. When she starts winning its reversed and shes like shit I'm winning.. now I have to try not to lose. She said it in her press conferences.

At this point Id like her to try on court coaching. But more so for psychological reasons. Even if its not DT that comes on court.. I know she doesnt like to use it because you cant use it in GSs but if she can learn how to turn around matches or regroup in other tournaments she can think back to those moments in a GS and think ok what did I do, what did we figure out etc. Then she can become use to keep momentum, staying in the moment, it can become a pattern for her just like this mindset she has now has unfortunately become.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #792
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I always admired Sam for not using OCC, but you're right, at this point it probably couldn't hurt. Just having somebody come on court and telling her to snap out of it might be enough to stop her panic spiralling out of control. Or maybe not, but worst case scenario she'd be no worse off
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #793

The courts actually look quite bouncy on TV. It could just be that Zheng is a bit vertically challenged, but I'm not so sure these courts are as bad for Sam as I thought ...

re: on-court coaching, I agree it might be helpful. It's all well and good to try and get Sam to develop the ability to analyse what's going on "in-match" so that she can make alterations independently, but I get the feeling that doing this, and being able to analyse a match in retrospect while watching videos, are two quite different things. Getting Dave to come on court and help Sam adjust her game during regular tour matches might mean that Sam is better able to do the same thing by herself when it comes to the grand slams.

Although from what others have said, the one time Dave did come on court at Charleston wasn't very helpful. I also kind of got the impression that she wanted to be left alone during the change of ends in Fed Cup, rather than chatting to Dave

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #794
country flag Huntress55

Quote:
The courts actually look quite bouncy on TV. It could just be that Zheng is a bit vertically challenged, but I'm not so sure these courts are as bad for Sam as I thought ...

re: on-court coaching, I agree it might be helpful. It's all well and good to try and get Sam to develop the ability to analyse what's going on "in-match" so that she can make alterations independently, but I get the feeling that doing this, and being able to analyse a match in retrospect while watching videos, are two quite different things. Getting Dave to come on court and help Sam adjust her game during regular tour matches might mean that Sam is better able to do the same thing by herself when it comes to the grand slams.

Although from what others have said, the one time Dave did come on court at Charleston wasn't very helpful. I also kind of got the impression that she wanted to be left alone during the change of ends in Fed Cup, rather than chatting to Dave
Well it doesnt have to be DT.. not that she'd bring anyone else into her team, even if its worth a shot.

That one time in Charleston was a pretty bad time. And it was the ONLY time she's done it. It'd take more than once for it to really help.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #795

Yeah she'd have to practice with it for a bit before she'd get used to it. But I do think it's a good idea.