...HardCourt II - Page 52 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #766
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold
Re: ...HardCourt II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim View Post
She is funny I wonder if she's still a die-hard fan of Stosur like she used to?!
Probably still a fan but a tiny bit jaded like most of us
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #767
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomoose View Post
She handled that press conference really well. So much better than last year. She was brutally honest in her assessment of what she did right and wrong and admitted to choking. Even had a laugh.I actually think there is lots of hope for our Sammy after that!
I agree with this completely.

It always pains me to see people call Sam weak. She's not weak at all. she just doesn't have the naturally high level of self-confidence most top players have. That's something you're either born with or born without, you can't change it I don't think. All you can do is learn to live with it as well as possible. The legendary "mental toughness" of players like Serena, Sharapova, Hewitt, etc. is 99% down to the fact that they are naturally self-confident, so doubts don't creep into their minds at crucial points in matches like they do for Sam.

Sam works harder than probably anybody else on tour, and time and time again she has to endure disappointments like this, and she just picks herself up, dusts herself off, faces the music without excuses, and starts working hard again for the next battle. If that's weak, I like me a bit of weak.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #768
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post

It always pains me to see people call Sam weak. She's not weak at all. she just doesn't have the naturally high level of self-confidence most top players have. That's something you're either born with or born without, you can't change it I don't think. All you can do is learn to live with it as well as possible. The legendary "mental toughness" of players like Serena, Sharapova, Hewitt, etc. is 99% down to the fact that they are naturally self-confident, so doubts don't creep into their minds at crucial points in matches like they do for Sam.

Sam works harder than probably anybody else on tour, and time and time again she has to endure disappointments like this, and she just picks herself up, dusts herself off, faces the music without excuses, and starts working hard again for the next battle. If that's weak, I like me a bit of weak.
Wow this is ! I couldn't possibly have put it any better.

She is a battler for sure - we have seen time and time again that she rarely losses 6-1 6-2 or anything like that - it always goes down the wire. Just hope lady luck goes her way a bit more in the future and allows her to pitch a few tight wins.

Its because of these traits that we fans are desperate for her to do well! She deserves all the success in the world.

Last edited by annetcl : Jan 16th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #769
country flag Chim

Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_molik View Post
I actually am studying to become one haha, but I think I'll be a bit late to help her :P

You are right that some people just can't be fixed/helped. I wonder how many different people have worked with her. Would like to know what is going through Ruth Anderson's head right now
Ruth would need another psychologist to fix her before she can fix Sam.
Chim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #770
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Some people would see lack of confidence as weak but I agree with everything you said. She battles hard, she doesnt always get the win but we know she can produce some amazing results you just have to stick with her.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #771
country flag annetcl

#Stosur : "My grandfather's Polish and lives in Florida...I'm glad you asked questions like this and not about my massive choke."

Did Sam really say this?
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #772
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by annetcl View Post
#Stosur : "My grandfather's Polish and lives in Florida...I'm glad you asked questions like this and not about my massive choke."

Did Sam really say this?
I dont think so. Its not in the presser transcript.

Pity
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #773
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Sorry, Bert. I have to disagree. It wasn't a waste. She played at both extremes - good and bad. She had some great dominance moments that I hope she can call upon in the future when she needs to regain confidence. And she had some horrible moments when lack of focus came at a high price. To play such GOAT tennis in the 2nd set and first part of the 3rd set, she was able to experience the awesome, confident feelings. That's not wasted energy at all. In a sick way, I think today was a bonus. I just hope that all of us, including Sam, can put it behind us and move forward with the positive things.

Anyway, I wonder if I can find a liquor store open at 1:30am.

Oh, sorry Sinclair. By waste, I was Re: Sam serving twice for the match: she wasted the opportunity.
Hope you do not read me (too) badly… I totally agree she played really well during a long period of the match, the second set and half of the third one.

We know a little bit Sam, and that scenario has already happened. As an example, the Errani match at RG last year: obviously.
The key problem lies when she is serving for the match.
I think her mental state at that moment is that not only she thinks she is going to win the match, but even further, that’s she thinks she deserves it, mainly because she has done (the difficult part of) the job. That thought is really vicious, because while being true, it does freeze her momentum, until death happen.

She needs to change her way to handle it, or it will happen again. Today is not a semi-final and Sam was not expected to run deep at the AO, so it might ease a little bit the disappointment in a few days.
But the core thing is to change the mental approach of closing such matches while clearly leading the set and serving for the match. She can do it if she works on it, as she had recovered from her surgery within only a few weeks.

What do you think?
B.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #774
country flag Ado.

Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold Ado. is a splendid one to behold

I think there is a lot to be learnt about how important winning matches is to a players confidence when closing out sets. Sam has only won 1 match since Moscow which means she now has to recondition her mind to winning. A run of wins and a few deep tourney runs will fix this problem partly. The rest is the self belief that she is the boss when it matters. I do hope she whores up some tournaments over the next few months to get her mojo back.

After that presser, she really is a class above most players and that is why we continue to support her. The next time she wins a tournament is going to be so enjoyable because of this.
Ado. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #775
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't think I could handle being a Sammy fan without being able to read everyone's comments after matches like this. Makes me remember why I want to support her and how good it is when she does well

We should ask if the mods could retitle the forum "The Sam Stosur Twelve Step Group", or similar
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #776
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post

I don't think I could handle being a Sammy fan without being able to read everyone's comments after matches like this. Makes me remember why I want to support her and how good it is when she does well

We should ask if the mods could retitle the forum "The Sam Stosur Twelve Step Group", or similar

Yeah, I have to admit I'm here for the support myself. As you pointed out, Sam's FB page is full of a lot of fair-weather friends (and worse), which is why I dropped out and moved over here.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #777
country flag Huntress55

Quote:

Yeah, I have to admit I'm here for the support myself. As you pointed out, Sam's FB page is full of a lot of fair-weather friends (and worse), which is why I dropped out and moved over here.
Yep. I rarely go on her FB page because its full of so many negatives. Smash'em Sam group is good like here though. Positives and classy responses after a tough loss.

We need a thread 'How to survive a being a fan of Sam' or something. What steps to take from going insane.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #778
country flag miss_molik

miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future miss_molik has a brilliant future

Quote:

This is so true. And Sam said in the press conference that she always tends to think about 'not losing this point/game' instead of 'ok this is what I have to do to win it' she thinks ahead instead of in the now. So obviously her mind set naturally travels to self-doubt and negativity, which at this stage in her career, and her age, will be hard to change.

But seriously, she has done so much with her career already I am proud of her for whatever she does. I will always support her no matter what
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #779
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of
My take is she is a fantastic person who deserves all the success in the world. However the sad thing is she is not going to be remembered for winning the USO, but as someone who fluked that win and a massive choker. She does not get the respect she deserves for what she has achieved.

Unfortunately she does appear to be a mental midget but it's not that uncommon amongst the Australians. Would 2 hands provide enough fingers to count the matches that have slipped thru the hands of Aussies in 2013 and we are only in January.

I hope she plays the doubles nd does really well. It might give her some joy so she can forget the misery competing in Oz gives her.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Vicky88 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #780
country flag bertisonline

bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of bertisonline has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress55 View Post
Yep. I rarely go on her FB page because its full of so many negatives. Smash'em Sam group is good like here though. Positives and classy responses after a tough loss.

We need a thread 'How to survive a being a fan of Sam' or something. What steps to take from going insane.
Well, if you are still reading this thread, you are already a survivor.

B.
bertisonline is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote