...HardCourt II - Page 123 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1831
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future
Re: ...HardCourt II

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
In terms of confidence I think Sam needs to go with the glass half full. But in terms of her game she really needs to rethink how she approaches her matches I think. With opponents like this she has to go out with the idea in her head what she can do to inflict the maximum amount of pain as early as possible. Let somebody like Vinci dictate terms early on and it can be really hard to break out of that.

That said, as Adomoose said, she also really needs to work more with a backup plan when her plan A isn't working, or at the very least stop doing the things that are clearly not working.

Time for Dave to start earning his wage.
That was driving me insane today. So frustrating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1832
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Just some random thoughts from someone who didn't see the match, but based on prior experience and the excellent commentary thinks he has a pretty good idea of how things went:

- I think Sam suffers from a weird kind of empathy, where she almost seems to imitate the playing style of her opponent. Means she too often plays matches on her opponent's terms
- I think she's still suffering from a kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome from her FO'10 final loss, especially when it comes to playing crafty Italians who she has beaten easily before
- I suspect the fact that she hasn't won another title since USO'11 is weighing heavier and heavier on her shoulders, especially given her age
- even though Sam does play really well tactically at times, at heart she's an intuitive player who needs to feel her way into a match before she starts to play well, both technically and tactically. That means she's not very good at analyzing a match when the chips are down: her approach is mostly just to stick to her guns and hope her game kicks in
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1833
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

I think Sam had a clear idea of what do to going into the match, she executed the plan brilliantly at the Rogers Cup 2 years ago - but her execution was awful in the first few games. Just didn't do enough with her second serves today.

After a few games, she seemed to be go panic mode and cant really think clearly anymore. Also, her backhand really let her down today. Her two hander was virtually non existent and her forehand was second best to Vinci most of the match. When you see her s&v against Vinci break point down you know Sam isn't thinking clearly, its such a low percentage play from Sam - she will get away with it against someone like Monica but not someone as crafty as Vinci. She just got sucked into playing the way Vinci wanted her to play. Credit to Roberta - she didn't give Sam many free points but then again Sam didn't apply any pressure on during the early phase of the match
annetcl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1834
country flag Chim

Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all Chim is a name known to all

It seems like Sam's serve hasn't been a real weapon like it used to in her game lately especially with all the those DFs. It's really frustating she was not abe to take advantage in this kind draw. I really thought she would have chance in the final.
Chim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1835
country flag annetcl

annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold annetcl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Just some random thoughts from someone who didn't see the match, but based on prior experience and the excellent commentary thinks he has a pretty good idea of how things went:

- I think Sam suffers from a weird kind of empathy, where she almost seems to imitate the playing style of her opponent. Means she too often plays matches on her opponent's terms
- I think she's still suffering from a kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome from her FO'10 final loss, especially when it comes to playing crafty Italians who she has beaten easily before
- I suspect the fact that she hasn't won another title since USO'11 is weighing heavier and heavier on her shoulders, especially given her age
- even though Sam does play really well tactically at times, at heart she's an intuitive player who needs to feel her way into a match before she starts to play well, both technically and tactically. That means she's not very good at analyzing a match when the chips are down: her approach is mostly just to stick to her guns and hope her game kicks in
Exactly she got sucked into playing slices with Roberta and also coming into the net way too much and missing volleys. More and more we are seeing opponents not allowing Sam to get the forehands she wants - how many backhand winners were we marveling at towards the tail end of 2012? Its worrisome that she has no confidence at all to go for it on the backhand side at the moment.

I get the feeling Sam is not as calm a person as she projects when she starts her matches. She goes from calm to frustrated very quickly when things don't go her way - hence the terrible win % when she down a set. Its like in all her rage she losses the ability to think clearly hence looks more and more clueless as the match goes on.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1836

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what to make of Sam's expressiveness on court tbh. She is certainly more inclined to express her frustration when things are not going well than she used to be. I'm pretty sure this was a conscious decision on her part, probably something she decided on in her sessions with Ruth Anderson. She's also more expressive and actually more relaxed and spontaneous off-court these days (think Gangnam style dance) which I think is part of the same general approach.

Not sure it really helps her that much on court, but it probably doesn't hurt either, and as a fan it is actually a nice change from the deer in headlights stare she used to give when things weren't going well (although she still does that sometimes).

I agree that she's probably more nervous at the start of her matches than she lets on. No idea what she can do about that. Maybe she can yell a few pre-emptive "fucks" before she delivers her first serve
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1837
country flag annetcl

Raysur up next on court 1 - hope Sam redeems herself in doubles. Not that i have too much expectations.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1838

^A good doubles win today might be a tonic of sorts. It would be a bummer to bow out like last week with two poor matches in one day.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1839
country flag annetcl

Sam is s&v in doubles more often than not playing with Lisa even off her second serve - something she was not doing when she was playing with Julia and Casey - interesting. Raysur promptly gets broken for 0-1. Sam not playing too badly - AR/Black pretty sharp.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1840
country flag annetcl

Not looking good for team Raysur - returns not good enough
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1841
country flag annetcl

Pretty entertaining match so far. Better than the Kops/Jones.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1842
country flag annetcl

0-3. Black/AR returning better than Raysur
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1843
country flag annetcl

4-0 still no joy during return games - imperative for Sam to hold her to get on the board at least.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1844
country flag annetcl

Finally Sam holds for 4-1. Getting her first serves in definitely helps a lot.
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1845
country flag annetcl

Lisa only has 6 GS doubles titles? Thought she would have had more that that.