Which of these career comebacks is the most impressive? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these career comebacks is the most impressive?

1995 Monica Seles 7 10.14%
2001 Jennifer Capriati 24 34.78%
2009 Kim Clijsters 17 24.64%
1999 Steffi Graf 1 1.45%
2012 Serena Williams 20 28.99%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
country flag calico_101

calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all
Which of these career comebacks is the most impressive?

1995 Monica Seles: Stabbed in 1993 when ranked no.1 in the world, and holding of 3 out of the 4 grand slams Monica Seles was out of the game for over 2 years. In 1995, she made a return to the circuit winning her first tournament back in Toronto and reaching the final of the US Open before losing narrowly to Steffi Graf. She won the Australian Open in 1996 and reached the final of 2 more grand slams.

2001 Jennifer Capriati: Perhaps the most famous case of 'burn out' Jennifer Capriati was absent from the tour for several years in the 1990s following arrest for drug possession. She made a stuttering comeback in 1997. In 2001 she had regained, and surpassed her earlier form, finally fulfilling her potential by winning 3 grand slams and attaining the no.1 ranking.

2009 Kim Clijsters: Having retired in 2005 to have a baby, Clijsters returned to the tour in 2009 as a mother by winning the US Open at her first try after only 3 tournaments back. She went on to win 2 more grand slams and was ranked no.1 in singles for a period in 2011.

1999 Steffi Graf: Having had arthroscopic surgery to rebuild her knee in 1997 Steff Graf was absent from the game for over a year. Written off by her opponents, in 1999 she beat the nos 1, 2, 3 ranked players in the world to win the French Open. She followed it up by reaching the final of Wimbledon before retiring at no.3 in the world which was a record high ranking for a retiring player at the time.

2012 Serena Williams: After almost dying as a result of a pulmonary embolism, Serena Williams completed a career golden slam by winning the London 2012 Olympics. Earlier in the year she won Wimbledon for a 5th time, and shortly afterwards won her 4th US Open for her 2nd grand slam of the year and 15th overall.

Last edited by calico_101 : Nov 17th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
calico_101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which of these career comebacks is the most impressive?

Test

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Wtf

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Test for sure

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna have to go for test.

Or Peak Pierce.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
country flag A'DAM

A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future

Very interesting thread !
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7
country flag A'DAM

A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future A'DAM has a brilliant future

Test all the way!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #8
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #9
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

How thought provoking, I'm inclined to choose test.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
country flag Halepsova

Halepsova has disabled reputation

The ones who won best come back player of the year.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #11
country flag calico_101

calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all calico_101 is a name known to all

Sorry guys.....I was typing up the options! :P
calico_101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Capriati gets my vote. The rest of the group had proven they were slam winning material prior to their comebacks. Seles and Graf are before my time, but I fully expected Serena and Clijsters to do great things coming back. Capriati basically came out of nowhere in 2001 and went all the way to the top for the first time.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #13
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Kim's comeback will always be the greatest tennis fairy tale imo.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

Capriati. All others were former no.1&slam champs before their comeback. Imagine Vaidisova coming back to win AOx2, RG and becoming no.1
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #15
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Returning after nearly dying to win 2 slams, Olympics Singles and Doubles Gold, several other tournaments, and capping it all off with a dominating YEC title, trumps all.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote