Is it time for the US to raise the gasoline tax? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #1
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
Is it time for the US to raise the gasoline tax?

I saw a report that said the US carbon emissions is now about where they were in 1990. We haven't had a gasoline tax hike at the Federal level since (I believe) 1993.

A 75 cents/gallon tax could also help fund the infrastructure spending that many want to do. With gas prices dropping, I believe that now is the time to raise the gasoline tax.
"You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters." -- Plato .

The famous are rarely significant and the significant are rarely famous.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it time for the US to raise the gasoline tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I saw a report that said the US carbon emissions is now about where they were in 1990. We haven't had a gasoline tax hike at the Federal level since (I believe) 1993.

A 75 cents/gallon tax could also help fund the infrastructure spending that many want to do. With gas prices dropping, I believe that now is the time to raise the gasoline tax.
About a month ago, I would have said it is likely.
But with news of US becoming the largest producer of oil in the world by 2020, the political will will not be there.

Not to mention, Americans are already complaining about gas prices, no politician will dare advocating raising the gasoline tax.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
country flag Cineast

Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold Cineast is a splendid one to behold

Here in the US we have quite a few Democrats (notably the thoroughly replusive Chuck Schumer from my state) who will grandstand about any moral panic of the day, including gas prices. Yet many of the people who haul in the oil company execs for hearing also claim to favor taxes to "fight" "climate change".

I fail to understand why $10/gallon (or pick whatever arbitrarily high number you want) gas is so wicked if the money ends up in the hands of shareholders, but suddenly, magically becomes virtuous if the money ends up in the hands of Big Government.
Cineast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Raising taxes is always bad, period.

How the hell gasoline tax raise will lower pollution ?

Want less polution ? Build proper biking lanes and bus communication-problem solved.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

I suggested it a while ago. Do not make it a budgetary tax. Make it a rebate based tax. Hike a price of gas by a dollar, with all those money being paid back to people at the end of the year as a rebate on per-adult basis. To punish those who runs those 4L monsters.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute

I rather doubt that this will happen
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #7
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post

I suggested it a while ago. Do not make it a budgetary tax. Make it a rebate based tax. Hike a price of gas by a dollar, with all those money being paid back to people at the end of the year as a rebate on per-adult basis. To punish those who runs those 4L monsters.
As with your proposed discounts on health insurance premiums for healthy habits, I think there's potential in the above. As you said "per adult" (not for example, a flat % of taxable income) it would be progressive in nature, going to mass transit riders too. If it were up to me though, I'd still try to direct a good chunk of such a tax increase to infrastructure rehabilitation, though. (Also perhaps to clean energy research).