Peak Capriati vs Peak Sharapova - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Peak Capriati vs Peak Sharapova

Jennifer 47 45.19%
Maria 57 54.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 19th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
liuxuan

liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future liuxuan has a brilliant future
Peak Capriati vs Peak Sharapova

its off season so lets just embrace it!

two absolute fighters who both had amazing success despite having certain limitations when compared to their biggest rivals - capriati's serve wasn't anywhere near the weapon when compared to Serena, Venus and Lindsay, while maria's athleticism isnt anything compared with serena, venus, henin or kim

HOWEVER they both are multiple grand slam champions, #1 players who showed a lot of heart and fight on the court, as much in defeat as in victory

Personally, I think, peak vs peak on a grand slam stage, its Jennifer in 3 in Melbourne, Paris and New York. Maria in 2 at Wimbledon.
liuxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Peak Capriati vs Peak Sharapova

Maria would win. Jennifer wasnt that good, lets be honest. She is to be admired for her great fightback to winning 3 slams against all odds, and she was one of the most precocious 15 years old ever, but other than Serena, post prime Hingis, and the vastly overrated Mary Pierce, she was every top players bitch of both her eras. Some people think she is better than she is due to her rivalry with Serena who she admirably pushed so hard which isnt easy to do obviously, and her amazing U.S Open semi with Seles decades ago as a precocious 15 year old, but other than those two things she otherwise falls well short in the realm of any player with 3 or more slams. 3 things really stand out with Capriati:

1. Her astonishingly poor H2H records vs top players for a 3 slam winner as mentioned.

2. Her extremly low winner tallies vs top players, especialy for someone we are told is supposed to be this huge "power" player. Against Venus she often played matches with only 4 winners. Against Elena Dementieva of all people she got outwinnered 41-11 in her last U.S Open semifinal. Against Davenport she usually had only single digit winners. And so on.

3. Her shocking lack of overall success for a 3 slam winner. Will we ever see a 3 slam winner who wins only 14 tournaments ever again. A 3 slam winner with no Wimbledon, U.S Open, or WTA Championship finals. A 3 slam winner with only 3 slam finals, and only 2 years ended ranked higher than #6.

Might she have become the next Chris Evert as she was proclaimed to be on her way to being at 13, 14, 15 with a better support system, better coaching, and without her crazy dad. Who knows. As it is though the best she managed to be is a poor womens Clijsters.

Last edited by forehand27 : Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

sharapova is way better at her peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Is the point of all these Peak Maria threads to have her name plastered everywhere so we just get sick of seeing it and, ultimately, her?
effedcamel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Well atleast Mariatards got it right this time. They picked a multi slam champion she could actually win a peak poll against. Capriati is definitely the most accomplished player, other than perhaps Clijsters, who Sharapova would ever win a poll against, so finally a wise move by a Mariatard. Too bad they made the grave mistakes of starting peak threads vs Serena, Venus, Henin, and Hingis before this.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #6
country flag fedhingis67

fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all

What is peak Capriati anyway?

I think she'd give Maria fits with her aggressive counter-punching, but we've all seen what Peak Maria can do.
fedhingis67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #7
country flag forehand27

This is peak Capriati:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qkhe_vJ1Vw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7TWm9jwU6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6dC7ZYVG8

Peak Sharapova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-BmrazJxbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAb36h5Rbc

No contest Maria wins.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
country flag FlowerPrincess

FlowerPrincess has disabled reputation

I don't think Capriati was ever as good as Maria.
FlowerPrincess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #9
country flag GAGAlady

GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Maria would win. Jennifer wasnt that good, lets be honest. She is to be admired for her great fightback to winning 3 slams against all odds, and she was one of the most precocious 15 years old ever, but other than Serena, post prime Hingis, and the vastly overrated Mary Pierce, she was every top players bitch of both her eras. Some people think she is better than she is due to her rivalry with Serena who she admirably pushed so hard which isnt easy to do obviously, and her amazing U.S Open semi with Seles decades ago as a precocious 15 year old, but other than those two things she otherwise falls well short in the realm of any player with 3 or more slams. 3 things really stand out with Capriati:

1. Her astonishingly poor H2H records vs top players for a 3 slam winner as mentioned.

2. Her extremly low winner tallies vs top players, especialy for someone we are told is supposed to be this huge "power" player. Against Venus she often played matches with only 4 winners. Against Elena Dementieva of all people she got outwinnered 41-11 in her last U.S Open semifinal. Against Davenport she usually had only single digit winners. And so on.

3. Her shocking lack of overall success for a 3 slam winner. Will we ever see a 3 slam winner who wins only 14 tournaments ever again. A 3 slam winner with no Wimbledon, U.S Open, or WTA Championship finals. A 3 slam winner with only 3 slam finals, and only 2 years ended ranked higher than #6.

Might she have become the next Chris Evert as she was proclaimed to be on her way to being at 13, 14, 15 with a better support system, better coaching, and without her crazy dad. Who knows. As it is though the best she managed to be is a poor womens Clijsters.

Yeah yeah, we get it, your not a fan of jens.

Back to reality now...

Jennifer CAPRIATI fact: hall of famer

Jennifer CAPRIATI fact: won there only match

Jennifer CAPRIATI fact: won an Olympic gold medal and played arguably the toughest times of women's tennis. Maria has a silver and she is playing scrubs who can hit bricks but have no brains. Impressive not . Also she can't beat the only really talented female left I. Women's tennis. Serena, who Jennifer beat 7 times... That's 5 times more than Maria ever has... That's a lot

I don't think CAPRIATI gives a rats ass what u think of her career. She did just fine.

CAPRIATI in 3.

Oh and when was the last time Maria won against Serena? Oh right.... Maybe she should ask Jennifer how it's done...

Next.

Head Bitch of the JANKOBITCH ASSOCIATION of players.
GAGAlady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #10
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova. It'd be closer than most people seem to think though, especially on hard and clay.

This is peak Capriati in my opinion

Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #11
country flag GAGAlady

GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future GAGAlady has a brilliant future

And might I add Maria cannot run, she hobbles around the court, much like a tall giraffe in heels, she looks ridiculous and in long rallies she would get outmanoevered by the superior athlete, CAPRIATI was a brick house at her peak and Serena hit harder than Maria at her peak and served better too and Jen still beat peak Serena 7 times. Maria can't even beat a washed up Serena at 31 and ticking... Pretty embarrassing if u ask me. And u think she'd beat Jennifer? Ha. Good one.

Maria has a career slam because she has no one good enough as competition. Jennifer's competition was a lot tougher and she actually played other talented women as good if not better. Maria? She has kirilenko and that pusher wozniacki... That's hardly competitive.

Head Bitch of the JANKOBITCH ASSOCIATION of players.
GAGAlady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #12
country flag Kasey

Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute

Please stop kissing Martha's arse in every single thread.
Peak Capriati was actually one of very few players able to challenge Peak Serena, unlike the Shrieking Razor who quite often has received pastry from Lord's Bakery.

So Peak Capriati wins.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlicznie View Post
Peak Capriati was actually one of very few players able to challenge Peak Serena, unlike the Shrieking Razor who quite often has received pastry from Lord's Bakery.

So Peak Capriati wins.

Dementieva, Jankovic could challenge Serena and couldn't do it vs Masha

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #14
country flag cautiouslip

cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGAlady View Post

Jennifer CAPRIATI fact: won an Olympic gold medal and played arguably the toughest times of women's tennis. Maria has a silver and she is playing scrubs who can hit bricks but have no brains. Impressive not . Also she can't beat the only really talented female left I. Women's tennis. Serena, who Jennifer beat 7 times... That's 5 times more than Maria ever has... That's a lot

I don't think CAPRIATI gives a rats ass what u think of her career. She did just fine.

CAPRIATI in 3.

Oh and when was the last time Maria won against Serena? Oh right.... Maybe she should ask Jennifer how it's done...

Next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGAlady View Post
And might I add Maria cannot run, she hobbles around the court, much like a tall giraffe in heels, she looks ridiculous and in long rallies she would get outmanoevered by the superior athlete, CAPRIATI was a brick house at her peak and Serena hit harder than Maria at her peak and served better too and Jen still beat peak Serena 7 times. Maria can't even beat a washed up Serena at 31 and ticking... Pretty embarrassing if u ask me. And u think she'd beat Jennifer? Ha. Good one.

Maria has a career slam because she has no one good enough as competition. Jennifer's competition was a lot tougher and she actually played other talented women as good if not better. Maria? She has kirilenko and that pusher wozniacki... That's hardly competitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlicznie View Post

So Peak Capriati wins.
Yeah because basing how good a player is on one match up is a really smart way to go about this
cautiouslip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #15
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Dementieva, Jankovic could challenge Serena and couldn't do it vs Masha
Exactly.

I love Jennifer, but she challenged Serena in the same way lesser defenders have been able to. And those players are completely helpless against Maria.

Jennifer also never beat Venus, but Maria has a good record against her.

And you could argue that the Serena who went down in QFs to Capriati isn't as good as the Serena we're seeing now. Not that it matters.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote