2000 Venus vs 2012 Serena - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who was the better player at that period of time?

2000 Venus 31 59.62%
2012 Serena 21 40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #1
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute
2000 Venus vs 2012 Serena

Since everyone's at it.

2000 Venus - Wimbledon, US Open, OG, Absent at YEC

2012 Serena - Wimbledon, US Open, OG, YEC

Last edited by thegreendestiny : Nov 16th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
thegreendestiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of
Re: 2000 Venus vs 2012 Serena

just watched venus v hingis at 2000 wimbledon,

the serena of 2012 wins 6-2 6-2, venus hits a lot more powerfully in her later years, early years (including 2000) the majority of shots tended to be loopy, and in this match especially they were landing pretty short

Last edited by lloyders76 : Nov 16th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: correction
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely Vee 2000.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #4
country flag Geisha

Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute

Really tough to say. Serena in 2012 always has the serving advantage. Both are so mentally strong. Venus moves better, but she liked to rally too much. Serena in 2012 would still tee off on Venus' second serves, too. Venus' shots were explosive back then, so it's really tough. I say Serena 7-6 7-5 on hardcourts and grass. Serena wins easier on clay.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #5
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

i think venus's best form in the years 07-09 was the best she's ever produced, hitting harder and much more consistently offensive than in 2000 while still serving and moving well

it's a misconception that early venus hit consistently hard, just watch the matches, there's a lot of mid-paced, mid-court rallying, a style she transitioned from, probably why her success on clay diminished

there's no way that earlier style competes with the serena of today
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #6
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Serena 2012 is stronger.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #7
country flag Smitten

Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute Smitten has a reputation beyond repute

Serena in two easy sets.
Smitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Venus something like 6-4, 6-2

Serena 2012 isn't nearly athletic enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #9
country flag slydevil6142

slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Venus something like 6-4, 6-2

Serena 2012 isn't nearly athletic enough.
This. At the end of the day Venus in 2000 would get get serena on the run alot more and nto allow her to dictate play.
Venus 6-4, 6-3
Queen of Grass: Venus Williams
7 time grand slam champion, Olympic Champion,
The Tour Standard! .... still haha!
slydevil6142 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
country flag Queen_Vee_92

Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of Queen_Vee_92 has much to be proud of

The only aspect of the game that makes this even debateable is the serve.

The Rena 2012 serve could make this match up close just because of a sheer inability to be broken.

But peak Venus would outhit this Serena, and as others have mentioned would athletically outmanoeuvre 2012 Serena in every area of the court.

Quote:
Each tournament is important for me, ... Each tournament would do something to my ranking and such kind of thing, step forward for the future. Also I think it's the opportunity, the opportunity to do what I love, to play my best, to play for the people who appreciate what I do.
(Venus Williams)
Queen_Vee_92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

Does anyone have a list of the quality of player(s) both defeated in their runs? I think that would be the deciding factor for me.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #12
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesAreWild View Post
Does anyone have a list of the quality of player(s) both defeated in their runs? I think that would be the deciding factor for me.
Venus:
Hingis x2, Seles x3, Davenport x3, ASV x1, Serena x1, Dementieva x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #13
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Venus:
Hingis x2, Seles x3, Davenport x3, ASV x1, Serena x1, Dementieva x1
Enough said, thank you. Definitely Venus IMO.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #14
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

But remember this is only Serena's SECOND best season..and it's foolish to compare a 20 year old Vee to a 31 year old Serena.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #15
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
But remember this is only Serena's SECOND best season..and it's foolish to compare a 20 year old Vee to a 31 year old Serena.
Exactly. Especially over a decade apart. It's obvious that Venus beat tougher players her run but Serena decimated the best this generation had to offer.