Many people are upset that an Indian-American won Miss America - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
country flag M.S.F

M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute
Many people are upset that an Indian-American won Miss America

Sunday night Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, was crowned the winner of the 2014 Miss America Pageant. She is the first contestant of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

When her win was announced, Twitter immediately exploded with hateful tweets, with people calling her Arab.

And shock that an Indian-American would win because “this is America.”

Other people were offended that she was crowned Miss America so close to the anniversary of 9/11.

And joked about her having possible ties to a terrorist group like al-Qaeda.

And some were just outright racist.

One of the most heavily shared pictures of the night was a four-panel image of Miss Kansas, Theresa Vail.

With people claiming Theresa Vail is what a “real Miss America looks like.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...american-woman
Advertisement

Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Many people are upset that an Indian-American won Miss America

ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #3
country flag JJ Expres

JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute

Are all these people who complain native americans???
JJ Expres is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
country flag JJ Expres

JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute JJ Expres has a reputation beyond repute

All these people wouldn't have any problem with "foreign" winner in case she was white...
JJ Expres is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
country flag Mike.

Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute Mike. has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance of those people makes me laugh To confuse girl from India with Arabian
But I remember that Rima Fakih who has her roots in Lebanon was also getting a lot of 'hate' in the internet.
Those people posting on twitter should read more books, and stop watching beauty pageants.
Mike. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #6
country flag M.S.F

M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute M.S.F has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphop26 View Post
Ignorance of those people makes me laugh To confuse girl from India with Arabian
But I remember that Rima Fakih who has her roots in Lebanon was also getting a lot of 'hate' in the internet.
Those people posting on twitter should read more books, and stop watching beauty pageants.
Rima didn't get the hate immediately since they didn't realise that she was an Arab and Muslim because she looked like a woman of European decent with dark complexion typical of the Mediterranean.
People like that need to learn about physical anthropology if they can't differentiate between Arabs and Indians. And most importantly common sense!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that social media allows us to see just how ignorant a good number of people seem to be. You have to face reality, especially if you want to combat this kind of ignorance, but even reading it is just so beleaguering.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8
country flag esquímaux
Team WTAworld

esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute

No need to get in a fuss over these reactions. We all know the underlying sentiments of Americans. Occasionally the veneer cracks and true feelings are exposed such as in this case.
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
country flag M.S.F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
This is painful

“I personally believe, that U.S. Americans, are unable to do so, because uh, some, people out there, in our nation don’t have maps. and uh… I believe that our education like such as in South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like such as… and, I believe they should uh, our education over here, in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.”
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we have to concentrate on the nitwits who make these comments when the vast majority of Americans are either thrilled for Miss Davuluri or just simply don't care?
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #11
country flag Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog has disabled reputation

Americans, who don't have a cultural identity of note and who are a mishmash of descents of European, Asian, you name it emigrants, complaining about someone who "doesn't look American". Now that is classic American stuff.
Smacky the Frog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #12
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquímaux View Post
No need to get in a fuss over these reactions. We all know the underlying sentiments of Americans. Occasionally the veneer cracks and true feelings are exposed such as in this case.
The fact that you would stereotype all Americans into a category like that makes you just as bad as those people who hate this Miss America.

America has a black president and an Indian Miss America. And still people let the unfortunate examples be the face of a nation.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Bouchard. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Cornet. Hampton. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
country flag Novichok

Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute Novichok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquímaux View Post
It's a bit presumptuous to say that an underlying sentiment of Americans (in general) is that they don't want non-white Miss Americas. A few hundred (or even thousand) tweets is not enough to draw that conclusions given the population of the US. Every country has racists and some of them will use social media.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #14
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
Why do we have to concentrate on the nitwits who make these comments when the vast majority of Americans are either thrilled for Miss Davuluri or just simply don't care?
Because people are ignorant and hate America. And they love to perpetuate American stereotypes.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Bouchard. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Cornet. Hampton. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
I agree, let's just focus on the missogyny underlying Miss America or pageants in general instead or how pathetic are all these girls who want to become Miss America in the first place.